PDA

View Full Version : To all the ARIANS critics...

Merchant
11-30-2010, 10:43 PM
and I know there's a lot of them out there. Okay, let's say this offseason you finally get your wish.. Arians gets FIRED. I wanna know who YOU would pick as his replacement. But it has to be someone realistic, e.g. you can't say Sean PAYTON. Someone who is likely to get released, pursue a new team, or an up-and-comer the Steelers might reach out too.

Let's hear it!

fansince'76
11-30-2010, 11:12 PM
Norv Turner would be an upgrade - IF he gets fired. I don't want someone different for the sake of someone different - I only want someone else that would be a noticeable improvement.

Devilsdancefloor
11-30-2010, 11:28 PM
If BA gets fired or hangs them up (which i think he will if we win #7) id like to see what jim harbaugh could bring.

X-Terminator
12-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I'm not an Arians over-the-top hater, but I'm not blown away by him either. Having said that, Norv Turner would be my top choice if he gets canned, but if not him, then I wouldn't mind seeing what Jason Garrett can do with a QB that isn't overrated and doesn't choke in big games, if he doesn't get the Cowgirls' job.

Merchant
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm not an Arians over-the-top hater, but I'm not blown away by him either. Having said that, Norv Turner would be my top choice if he gets canned, but if not him, then I wouldn't mind seeing what Jason Garrett can do with a QB that isn't overrated and doesn't choke in big games, if he doesn't get the Cowgirls' job.

Norv Turner could work out. I think he may be a little too pass-happy the way he is now, which doesn't fit the Steelers' mold.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2010, 03:52 PM
McDaniels ? Don't curse me out... it's ok to cheat in today's NFL. Just don't tackle too hard...

SteelerFanInStl
12-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Norv Turner could work out. I think he may be a little too pass-happy the way he is now, which doesn't fit the Steelers' mold.

Garrett is pass happy too. Dallas has those 3 good RBs and all they were doing when Romo was healthy was throwing the ball.

I wouldn't even care who they bring in as long as they use a real FB in the offense.

Count Steeler
12-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Chan Gailey or The Whiz.

Raleigh Steel
12-01-2010, 05:27 PM
gary kubiak

LLT
12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Dark Horse Pick?......I would like to see what Jim Tressel could do.

Psycho Ward 86
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
To all the ARIANS lovers...why the hell do you love him so much.

steelersfanman92
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
I would be interested in possibly see what Mike Leech would bring, if his style would work in the NFL, or not that he would probably do it Chip Kelly

tube517
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
:rofl2:

Mach1
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
A bag of rocks wouldn't do much worse.

X-Terminator
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
gary kubiak

Not a bad choice. He may be looking for work if the Texans don't make the playoffs.

Ah, but that's a common misconception. Not wanting to make Arians the scapegoat for all of the failures of the offense does NOT equal "loving him." A LOT of you need to learn the difference.

Chidi29
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Ah, but that's a common misconception. Not wanting to make Arians the scapegoat for all of the failures of the offense does NOT equal "loving him." A LOT of you need to learn the difference.

Hammer. Meet nail.

Chidi29
12-01-2010, 08:15 PM
I would be interested in possibly see what Mike Leech would bring, if his style would work in the NFL, or not that he would probably do it Chip Kelly

Leach is interesting, but for those who don't like the passing Arians has done, you probably won't like Leach.

HollywoodSteel
12-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Not a bad choice. He may be looking for work if the Texans don't make the playoffs.

And criticizing him for the mistakes he actually makes, and being unwilling to adapt to the situation in front of him makes doesn't equal "hating him."

O'Malley
12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Chip will stay in Eugene, but he's a hell of a coach.

LLT
12-01-2010, 08:50 PM
And criticizing him for the mistakes he actually makes, and being unwilling to adapt to the situation in front of him makes doesn't equal "hating him."

Yea...but adapting to the....wait.....WHAT?!!!!!! :noidea:

Steeltreal
12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Norm Chow.

X-Terminator
12-01-2010, 08:55 PM

That would be fine, IF that was what was going on most of the time. But it isn't. I'm not going to rehash it all again and end with that because I don't want to turn this into yet another "He sucks...no he doesn't...yes he does" thread.

43Hitman
12-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Kirk Ferentz is who I'd like to see get a shot.

X-Terminator
12-01-2010, 09:31 PM
Norm Chow.

Isn't he, like, 150 years old? Great offensive mind, though.

HollywoodSteel
12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Yea...but adapting to the....wait.....WHAT?!!!!!! :noidea:

His unwillingness to adapt to situations as they present themselves. I'm not sure how that is unclear but I'll give examples. When asked what he might do to adapt to the injuries on the offensive line, he responded, "nothing." And it showed. When you have the line that we have, to keep calling slow developing pass plays that keep resulting in sacks and holding penalties is... perhaps unwise.

Shotgun, empty backfield on first down? And expect this line to protect for over six seconds? If you want to pass on first down, I'm all for it. I love it. But perhaps you might choose play action instead because it only works... what? Like every time?

Look, I could be dead wrong in my analysis here, but that's not the point. My only point is, if you criticize specifics about Arians it doesn't mean you hate him. Just like if you defend specific things about it him, it doesn't mean you love him. Too often these threads dissolve into hyperbole when some of us just want to analyze the actual game and debate about it.

For the record, I don't want to see him get fired. I think there are a few more pros than cons with him for us, and for Ben in particular. Ben has a great relationship with BA and they communicate effectively. I think this is huge for a guy like Ben who I believe might have a hard time adjusting to a new coordinator. I also think BA draws up some great plays and occasionally calls a great game. I thought the calls on the first drive against the Bills was outstanding, and I'm not just being results oriented.

But he sometimes drives me nuts. Just like Ben sometimes drives me nuts. And LeBeau sometimes drives me nuts. And I don't hate any of them.

LLT
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
His unwillingness to adapt to situations as they present themselves. I'm not sure how that is unclear .

Oh I understood the concept...and I totally agree that Ariens isnt the best at adapting his offense....but your sentence structure looked like something that I would have written.

Read it again....

...and being unwilling to adapt to the situation in front of him makes doesn't equal "hating him."

I had to laugh...not at you...but with you, out of empathy.

Psycho Ward 86
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
I hope this isn't one of those "WELL OMG, WE WON A SUPERBOWL BECAUSE OF HIM. AND WE'RE SUCCESSFUL AS A TEAM" type of deals...

Wallace108
12-01-2010, 10:30 PM
Dark Horse Pick?......I would like to see what Jim Tressel could do.

Tressel with the Steelers? Hasn't the state of Ohio had its heart ripped out enough lately? I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

HollywoodSteel
12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
Oh I understood the concept...and I totally agree that Ariens isnt the best at adapting his offense....but your sentence structure looked like something that I would have written.

Read it again....

I had to laugh...not at you...but with you, out of empathy.

Oh, can't argue with that. Very little sleep last night. Half a brain today. Me write good.

HometownGal
12-02-2010, 06:40 AM
I hope this isn't one of those "WELL OMG, WE WON A SUPERBOWL BECAUSE OF HIM. AND WE'RE SUCCESSFUL AS A TEAM" type of deals...

I don't think anyone, even those of us who appreciate BA, would ever say that we won a Super Bowl BECAUSE of him. He contributed to the Steelers winning the Lombardi just as much as any other player and coach that season. Get a grip on that hate, bud - it's not healthy.

While I believe BA will retire if the Steelers win #7 - mainly because of health issues - I don't believe he will be fired even if the Steelers don't get to or win the 7th Lombardi this season. I simply don't feel he has done anything to warrant being fired but as I've always said - I trust the judgment of the Rooneys and the FO and whatever they decide, I'm on board with it.

His replacement? I like Jim Harbaugh and Jason Garrett and feel either one would be a good fit as an OC here in the Burgh. However, Jerry may decide at season's end to give Garrett a HC'ing contract if he continues to have success as the Cryboys interim coach. :noidea:

VTsteel
12-02-2010, 08:19 AM
If Fisher get's canned . . . Mike Heimerdinger would fit well with our talent I believe.

Edited to add . . . I like BA - I think with the talent we have on the O-Line - He's coordinated a heck of a season thus far. But if he was to go . . .

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-02-2010, 01:18 PM
If Fisher get's canned . . . Mike Heimerdinger would fit well with our talent I believe.

Edited to add . . . I like BA - I think with the talent we have on the O-Line - He's coordinated a heck of a season thus far. But if he was to go . . .

Ya know, I like the Norv Turner, Gary Kubiak, Chan Gailey references. I even have a dark horse pick in Jeff Jagodzinski who formerly coached Matt Ryan at BC in an offense with no real WR talent...........but Heimerdinger would be great if he was available and not in line for a HC job.

Indo
12-02-2010, 01:29 PM
A bit off topic, but I'm too lazy to go and look it up myself...
But, since there is a REAL possibility that Jerry will give the job to Garrett I was wondering if the Rooney Rule still applies---does a team that hires a Head Coach from within its organization still have to interview a minority for the job? I'm wondering because it would kinda suck if you were that guy who travels to Jerry Town knowing very well that you have no shot at getting the job

O'Malley
12-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes the Rooney rule applys to Garrett.

The Duke
12-02-2010, 09:41 PM
from what I've heard Jerry may ask for an exception to the rooney rule IF he decides he wants garrett

Btw, didn't realize arians' age, and with his health it is very possible that he retires, especially after another ring. Never been a huge fan of the man, nor a hater, but it would leave us with a big hole to be filled.

An in house signing wouldn't surprise me, but who? Fichtner? He has been rising since tomlin picked him as his first wide receivers coach....

Chidi29
12-02-2010, 09:47 PM
from what I've heard Jerry may ask for an exception to the rooney rule IF he decides he wants garrett

Btw, didn't realize arians' age, and with his health it is very possible that he retires, especially after another ring. Never been a huge fan of the man, nor a hater, but it would leave us a big hole to be filled.

An in house signing wouldn't surprise me, but who? Fichtner? He has been rising since tomlin picked him as his first wide receivers coach....

Good point. Tomlin and Fichtner go way back. They worked together and Memphis. Fichtner installed the spread there.

Merchant
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Well.. McDaniels is fired.. I always thought he was a good OC in New England

fansince'76
12-06-2010, 06:18 PM

No cheaters. Thanks.

tube517
12-06-2010, 06:19 PM
:thumbdown:

SMR
12-06-2010, 06:20 PM
No cheaters. Thanks.

:drink:

Count Steeler
12-06-2010, 06:23 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't let his shadow darken any Steelers head office doors. Persona non gratis!

vasteeler
12-06-2010, 06:26 PM
idk, if we win it all this year i would have a hard time wanting to get rid of an oc that helped win 2 superbowls:noidea:

Merchant
12-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Really? Not ONE other person thinks McDaniels would make a good OC? That 2007 Patriots offense was unreal.

tube517
12-06-2010, 06:33 PM
It's not about whether he is good or not. He just seems like a dill hole and the Steelers wouldn't touch him with his Spygate II, the sequel credentials.

Really? Not ONE other person thinks McDaniels would make a good OC? That 2007 Patriots offense was unreal.

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2010, 06:40 PM

It's tempting as hell, but I'm worried about that Spygate 2.0 stuff he was involved in a while back.

Count Steeler
12-06-2010, 07:12 PM

And how good are the Broncos? Good coaching is one part of the equation. Brady and Moss and Welker et al were players that converged at the right time. Be hard to emulate without that kind of talent.

pepsyman1
12-06-2010, 07:12 PM

I will agree...I'm not a fan of BA, but I think he's done a much better job this year, especially in light of all the injuries we've gone through. I can't stand watching us try to run out of those strange bunch formations...and everyone always KNOWS it's coming. I'd like to see him work more of his plays (run & pass) from more standard alignments that don't telegraph what we are going to do simply because of how we lined up. The mix of run to pass have been reasonable...we've generally been running the ball when it was available to do and even with Ben out for 4 games we've only average .8 of a point less per game through 12 games compared to last years. I hope he keeps making adjustments and does something to address the issues with the formations.

HometownGal
12-06-2010, 09:46 PM
idk, if we win it all this year i would have a hard time wanting to get rid of an oc that helped win 2 superbowls:noidea:

I believe BA would retire if the Steelers win this season's Lombardi due to health issues.

VTsteel
12-06-2010, 09:51 PM
I will agree...I'm not a fan of BA, but I think he's done a much better job this year, especially in light of all the injuries we've gone through. . . . I hope he keeps making adjustments and does something to address the issues with the formations.

Speaking of adjustments - Did you see the gameplan last night? We used the Pistol formation a lot last night and it was a huge success IMO. It helped keep Ben from getting sacked LESS than Flacco last night. And Flacco has a good o-line. Ben has back-ups at best as his protection. So, BA brought out the Pistol package to help. The Pistol formation (for those that dont know) is a short shotgun w/ a back 1 step behind the qb. Very effective considering with what we had to work with for linemen. I would guess we'll be seeing this more in the next few weeks . . .

tube517
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM
It also helped with his foot injury so I give BA credit for adjusting. I've said it before. I am a BA "hater" but this may be the best job he's done this year.

Speaking of adjustments - Did you see the gameplan last night? We used the Pistol formation a lot last night and it was a huge success IMO. It helped keep Ben from getting sacked LESS than Flacco last night. And Flacco has a good o-line. Ben has back-ups at best as his protection. So, BA brought out the Pistol package to help. The Pistol formation (for those that dont know) is a short shotgun w/ a back 1 step behind the qb. Very effective considering with what we had to work with for linemen. I would guess we'll be seeing this more in the next few weeks . . .

Psycho Ward 86
12-06-2010, 10:04 PM

Whoa whoa whoa lol, did he really help us win, or was he just there for the ride? I gotta say it was the latter...

pepsyman1
12-06-2010, 10:10 PM

Yes! I was very happy to see that they came in with something in mind to help Ben...that's the kind of mindset our OC has to have. Have a gameplan but be ready to problem solve. It's a big chess game and you have to be ready to adjust to what the defense is doing and giving you.