PDA

View Full Version : Harrison could again find himself in NFL crosshairs

stillers4me
11-29-2010, 07:06 PM
November 29th, 2010

The ferocity of James Harrison’s hit on Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick called to mind something Ryan Clark said last week.

It was after I asked the Steelers free safety about the personal foul penalty he had received for a phantom helmet to helmet hit on Raiders wide receiver Jacoby Ford.

“I think referees are reacting to the viciousness of a hit or how a hit looks to the eye instead of really thinking about the rules and the way a hit is being applied,” said Clark, who is also the Steelers' union representative. “So much pressure is being put on them by the NFL, Ray Anderson, Roger Goodell. I don’t think they want to have a hit that they don’t flag that ends up being a fine.”

I am wondering if Harrison got penalized for roughing the passer because the hit on Fitzpatrick looked brutal enough that it elicited a collective gasp in the press box..............

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/29/harrison-could-again-find-himself-in-nfl-crosshairs/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Fordy
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
How dare he try to sack the QB and hit him ferociously. What does he think this is football????!!!!!!!

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
The shame of all of the focus on Harrison’s playing style: it has taken away from the fact that he is playing at an incredibly high level right now.

He has been as good as he was in 2008 when Harrison won NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors.

And yet every game seems to generate a new round of questions as to whether the league is singling out the three-time Pro Bowler.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=SACKS&conference=null&season=2010&seasonType=REG

He's right about that. I keep hearing how Clay Mathews is on course to win DPOY, meanwhile James is vastly superior to Clay in every significant way other than sacks, and he's only just behind him in that.

Of course Harrison wont even finish top 5, the waters been poisoned too much against him to win anything that involves a vote.

fansince'76
11-29-2010, 08:04 PM
I have ten bucks that says we lose Harrison to suspension for this Sunday, which, just coincidentally, is the biggest game of the year for us thus far.

zulater
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
I have ten bucks that says we lose Harrison to suspension for this Sunday, which, just coincidentally, is the biggest game of the year for us thus far.

If so maybe the Ambassador from Ireland will see to it the Ginger Prince is impeached in rapid order?

zulater
11-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Seriously if Goodell does do that I wonder if a player could get a stay of execution from an Appellate court? I know it sounds ridiculous, and maybe I'm going off the deep end, but what the hell, if justice is being doled out in a capricious and arbitrary manner and you can make that case in court wny not try?

Hindes204
11-29-2010, 08:29 PM

That was the first thought that came to mind when he was penalized for that hit. Roger Gotohell is looking to make an example of somebody, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was Harrison being suspended for our most Important game of the season

zulater
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/

This shows a good close up that proves it was another bad call against James. If Harrison gets fined or ( god forbid) suspended over this play the Steelers need to file a formal protest and call Goodell on the carpet.

steelreserve
11-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Seriously if Goodell does do that I wonder if a player could get a stay of execution from an Appellate court? I know it sounds ridiculous, and maybe I'm going off the deep end, but what the hell, if justice is being doled out in a capricious and arbitrary manner and you can make that case in court wny not try?

Isn't that what the Williams duo did in Minnesota? That seemed to work, so if nothing else, it's viable as a delaying tactic. By the time it winds its way through the court system, hopefully we'll have won another Super Bowl and Goodell will be dead from butt herpes.

zulater
11-29-2010, 09:20 PM
Isn't that what the Williams duo did in Minnesota? That seemed to work, so if nothing else, it's viable as a delaying tactic. By the time it winds its way through the court system, hopefully we'll have won another Super Bowl and Goodell will be dead from butt herpes.

By jove I think you're right!