PDA

View Full Version : Steelers needn't seek offensive balance

stillers4me
11-29-2010, 07:53 AM
By: Mark Madden ("")
Beaver County Times
Sunday November 28, 2010 11:48 PM

The 151 yards gained by Rashard Mendenhall (among 206 total posted by the Steelers’ rushing attack) will be hailed as a true renaissance of the team’s ground game.

By fools, that is.

The Steelers’ offensive game plan should be scribbled in crayon on old-fashioned brown-paper shopping bags. Child’s play or insanity, take your pick.

Invoke The Bus all you want. Franco and Rocky, too. John Henry Johnson, if you’d like to jump in the Wayback Machine. The Steelers are minimizing their primary offensive weapon, Ben Roethlisberger, for the sake of doing things granddaddy’s way.

The Steelers ran the ball on 54 percent of their offensive plays during yesterday’s 19-16 overtime win at Buffalo. They passed for 220 yards, rushed for 206.

Balance, right?

Yeah. But at what price?

The big explosion on the ground came against the NFL’s worst rushing defense...............
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1501/2010/november/28/monday-madden-steelers-neednt-seek-offensive-balance.html

salamander
11-29-2010, 08:18 AM
This is what everyone wanted, isn't it?

zulater
11-29-2010, 03:39 PM
Related or not, here's something I found interesting while brousing through Steelers Digest today at the races. The Steelers offense is down right offensive in the 3rd quarter. To wit, the Steelers have scored all of 16 points for the season to date in 3rd qt. play! That's culmative, combined, all together, however you want to phrase it, they down right suck at scoring points in the 3rd quarter. Not to make excuses for the Steelers defense but it occurs to me that being as we go to half leading in nearly every game, perhaps our 4th quarter defense would be a bit better if we showed some killer instinct in the 3rd quarter, and rather than merely try to maintain leads ( to the Steelers defense's credit they've only given up 29, 3rd qt. points themselves) we went for the throat and tried to extend leads or put teams away? Just a thought someone might want to relate to B.A. and the boys.

:coffee:

Count Steeler
11-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Related or not, here's something I found interesting while brousing through Steelers Digest today at the races. The Steelers offense is down right offensive in the 3rd quarter. To wit, the Steelers have scored all of 16 points for the season to date in 3rd qt. play! That's culmative, combined, all together, however you want to phrase it, they down right suck at scoring points in the 3rd quarter. Not to make excuses for the Steelers defense but it occurs to me that being as we go to half leading in nearly every game, perhaps our 4th quarter defense would be a bit better if we showed some killer instinct in the 3rd quarter, and rather than merely try to maintain leads ( to the Steelers defense's credit they've only given up 29, 3rd qt. points themselves) we went for the throat and tried to extend leads or put teams away? Just a thought someone might want to relate to B.A. and the boys.

:coffee:

That is a good sign that we get out coached coming out of the half. You have to adjust and you have to adjust to what the opponent has done at half time. The third quarter yesterday should have been game over yesterday, instead it lead us to overtime.

Chidi29
11-29-2010, 03:57 PM
For starters, by my calculations, we ran the ball 57% of the time. (45 runs out of 79 offensive plays).

Mendenhall ran the ball well and we were churning up yards. Why would you get away from that? Yeah, we'll need to use Ben more in games against teams such as New England, but that is irrelevant. You base your gameplan on what works against the team you're facing that week.

Ben did throw the ball 33 times, and don't forget we have tackles that struggle in pass protection.

smokin3000gt
11-29-2010, 04:04 PM
I don't know what happens in the locker room at halftime or what goes on in the 3rd QTR but it seems like we aren't making any adjustments at halftime. Where as the other team goes in with our red hand print on their ass and come back out in the second half on fire and ready to play.

We used to be a second half team but it has been pretty bad as of late. As far as the run vs pass... Whatever wins. I don't care if it's 75/25 or 25/75 just get points on the board! I know penalties have been KILLING us this year. Especially the phantom ones but it still seems that we take the lead then we let off the gas when we should be down shifting and red-lining.

tube517
11-29-2010, 04:14 PM
Agree. I liked the game plan. Plus, it kept the ball out of Buffalo's offense, which can score. They may be 2-9 but they don't give up.

I have no problems with BA's game plan for this game (and for most of this year). The only thing I would have changed was to give some carries to Redman. I don't like Mendy carrying that many times.

For starters, by my calculations, we ran the ball 57% of the time. (45 runs out of 79 offensive plays).

Mendenhall ran the ball well and we were churning up yards. Why would you get away from that? Yeah, we'll need to use Ben more in games against teams such as New England, but that is irrelevant. You base your gameplan on what works against the team you're facing that week. Ben did throw the ball 33 times, and don't forget we have tackles that struggle in pass protection.

zulater
11-29-2010, 05:55 PM

Mendenhall ran the ball well and we were churning up yards. Why would you get away from that? Yeah, we'll need to use Ben more in games against teams such as New England, but that is irrelevant. You base your gameplan on what works against the team you're facing that week.

Ben did throw the ball 33 times, and don't forget we have tackles that struggle in pass protection.

Yeah, and we've also only scored 16 points total in the 3rd quarter through 11 games. I'd say that's more trend than coincidence, a problematic one at that.

HometownGal
11-29-2010, 06:01 PM
Agree. I liked the game plan. Plus, it kept the ball out of Buffalo's offense, which can score. They may be 2-9 but they don't give up.

I have no problems with BA's game plan for this game (and for most of this year). The only thing I would have changed was to give some carries to Redman. I don't like Mendy carrying that many times.

:applaudit: :thumbsup:

The Steelers O played to the Jills' weakness - their rush defense - and it worked beautifully. Can't please these people, tube.

Personally - I don't give a hoot how many points they score in each quarter as long as when that last second ticks off the clock (or in yesterday's case, they were the first to score in OT), the Steelers have the W in their column and not the L.

zulater
11-29-2010, 06:31 PM

I don't know if the game plan was a good one or not? But I do know 16 points against that defense isn't satisfactory. You shouldn't be dependent on a dropped pass to beat that team.

vasteeler
11-29-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't know if the game plan was a good one or not? But I do know 16 points against that defense isn't satisfactory. You shouldn't be dependent on a dropped pass to beat that team.

i dont think you are giving the bills enough credit. i know its cliche by now but the bills are a lot better than their record. they have been competitive in almost every game

HometownGal
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM

I believe the Steelers O would have put at least 10 more points on that scoreboard had it not been for the Mendy fumble, Sanders butterfingers and Kemo and his holding fetish, which all occured during good drives. Our O had a nice mix of the run and pass yesterday and our running game was effective, which is what the BAHC wanted, so there should be absolutely no B & M'ing (not saying you in particular are in that elite "club" ;)).

Devilsdancefloor
11-29-2010, 07:27 PM
i think it is funny last year we throw the ball and everyone B&M that they wanted smash mouth football, yesterday was a blast from the past and now today people are B & M about us not throwing it enough lol. i wish i could say i am shocked and amazed, but im not. Because NO matter what BA & the O does he should do the other.

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:32 PM
i dont think you are giving the bills enough credit. i know its cliche by now but the bills are a lot better than their record. they have been competitive in almost every game

Usually more do to their offensive output though.

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:34 PM
i think it is funny last year we throw the ball and everyone B&M that they wanted smash mouth football, yesterday was a blast from the past and now today people are B & M about us not throwing it enough lol. i wish i could say i am shocked and amazed, but im not. Because NO matter what BA & the O does he should do the other.

So you're satisfied with 3 offensive points in the second half?

I'm not, if that makes me a whiny bitch, so be it.

Chidi29
11-29-2010, 07:36 PM
So you're satisfied with 3 offensive points in the second half?

I'm not, if that makes me a whiny bitch, so be it.

The article had nothing to do with points. It had to do with play selection.

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:40 PM
I believe the Steelers O would have put at least 10 more points on that scoreboard had it not been for the Mendy fumble, Sanders butterfingers and Kemo and his holding fetish, which all occured during good drives. Our O had a nice mix of the run and pass yesterday and our running game was effective, which is what the BAHC wanted, so there should be absolutely no B & M'ing (not saying you in particular are in that elite "club" ;)).

I think the penalties are something Tomlin has to address. I'm guessing Kemo was playing at less than 100%, so I have some sympathy there. But Jonathan Scott is sucking the very life out of this offense and I think there is something that can be done with that, namely bench his ass and put Trai in at left tackle. Yeah I know Trai is no great shakes, but for some reason every time he's been put in at left tackle he seems to hold his own. Perhaps that's a more natural position for him than guard? Regardless I'm convinced he would be an improvement over Scott and I hope the Steelers see it that way too sometime soon.

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:42 PM
The article had nothing to do with points. It had to do with play selection.

I know, but points scored is reflective of overall offensive performance, therefore I believe there's relevance.

Chidi29
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
I know, but points scored is reflective of overall offensive performance, therefore I believe there's relevance.

Again, he's not talking about performance.

Madden is saying that we're not passing enough.

zulater
11-29-2010, 07:55 PM
Again, he's not talking about performance.

Madden is saying that we're not passing enough.

Understand, but I veered off a little and steered the topic towards offensive production as in points scored, which is all I'm really concerned about, and which probably would be true of most of us here.

Madden is a shit who basically hates the Steelers other than Ben, his opinion regarding football has little value to anyone familiar with him.

I considered starting a new thread, but i thought this one was close enough to the premise I was interested in to discuss it here rather than open a new thread on a closely related subject matter. Perhaps i was wrong? :noidea:

Chidi29
11-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I agree with you about being disappointed in the lack of offensive output.

Doc
11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Throw more? Pretty sure Ben will surely be killed if we let him stand back behind that line more often. If Mendy's going to put up 100+...not sure why you would want to do something else.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I always found Mark Madden to be complete tool. Not sure how he stays relevant in Pittsburgh.

zulater
11-29-2010, 08:08 PM
I agree with you about being disappointed in the lack of offensive output.

I think HTG struck on something when she pointed towards mistakes and penalties factoring in on poor offensive production in the second half. But at the same token many of these mistakes, the penalties in particuliar seem to be an ongoing issue. Somehow, someway they've got to get the offensive line on the same page. Yeah I know all about the injuries, but look at the Bears, look what they've overcome and how their offensive line has significantly improved as the season's gone on. Tomlin has to make these guys more accountable for their play. They're killing us!

zulater
11-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Throw more? Pretty sure Ben will surely be killed if we let him stand back behind that line more often. If Mendy's going to put up 100+...not sure why you would want to do something else.

In a somewhat unrelated note, I always found Mark Madden to be complete tool. Not sure how he stays relevant in Pittsburgh.

He's attached to Mario's sack and like any malignant growth isn't easily removed.

Psycho Ward 86
11-29-2010, 09:51 PM
Chris Kemoeatu should carry a red cape and yell, “Ole!”

LMAO! :rofl2:

steelpride12
11-29-2010, 10:29 PM
Of course you have to point your finger directly at the penalties when it comes to not scoring the points we should. Holding calls which tormented the Steelers last game are huge drive killers, a 10 yard penalty can do that and their were plenty against the Bills. If the penalties stop the TD's will come.