PDA

View Full Version : Harrison pleads innocent on latest hit

stillers4me
11-29-2010, 07:30 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, November 29, 2010

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- James Harrison said he did nothing wrong on the play that resulted in a personal foul penalty yesterday and will be reviewed by the NFL this week.
The Steelers' outside linebacker said some unlikely sources will back up his claim that he made a legal hit when he belted Ryan Fitzpatrick in the chest as the Bills quarterback released a pass in the Steelers' 19-16 overtime win.

"The whole (Bills') offensive line," Harrison said. "Ain't never had that one. That's a first."....................

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711403.html

Texasteel
11-29-2010, 09:06 AM
He can plead all he wants, but GODell has already made up his mind, and facts have never gotten in his way before. I would be very surprise if James does not have to write another check.

NJarhead
11-29-2010, 09:22 AM
I'm still uncertain about what he actually did wrong on that play. Besides wear #92 for the Steelers.

stillers4me
11-29-2010, 09:27 AM
The ref didn't stop and pull the flag out of his pocket...he already had it in his hand....... start at about :23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwS8Clfp2vM

ALLD
11-29-2010, 09:38 AM
And CBS already had his other video clips ready. It's a lynching for ratings. "The veil of hypocracy is lifted."

stlrtruck
11-29-2010, 09:54 AM
And CBS already had his other video clips ready. It's a lynching for ratings. "The veil of hypocracy is lifted."

That veil was lifted a few weeks ago when Brady whined to the refs and got his call but other QBs take a rapping before getting an identical call. Even in last nights game when Ben was down, the bills players were allowed to continue to roll him over and drop the eye finger poke of death.

Texasteel
11-29-2010, 11:06 AM
The ref didn't stop and pull the flag out of his pocket...he already had it in his hand....... start at about :23

Thank You. That is the first time I got a good look at it. Yes the ref had the flag in his hand before James even got there. The ref should be fired, all fines should be returned to Harrison. A letter of apology from the slim bag that has caused all this should be sent to James Harrison. But you know that is not going to happen. Its bad enough that the out come of a game can be dictated be a BAD official, and that is a BAD official, but when the commissioner is figuring into wins and losses, this game in truly in danger.

steelpride12
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
I won't be surprised if Harrison has a fine in his hands by Wed. and a hefty one at that. We all know it was not a dirty hit and the intention was nothing hurtful, but as long as GODell is in this league running this, it won't matter. It was a Steeler and it was Harrison, expect a lot.

steeldevil
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
He should plead innocent, because he is. Should be end of story. Of course no flag should have been thrown either. He will be fined Im sure...

7SteelGal43
11-29-2010, 11:36 AM
:frusty:

Doc
11-29-2010, 12:32 PM
I damn near got in a fist fight over this at the bar, some knucklehead screaming "you can't lead with your head!" I about lost my f'n mind.

Merchant
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
That's textbook tackling.. stick your head in the guy's chest, wrap up, and drive forward. He may have gotten him a little under the chin but it wasn't helmet to helmet so I'm not quite sure what the call was for.

stlrtruck
11-29-2010, 02:50 PM

Actually, I was able to rewatch this video today on BSPN today and what I was able to see in slow motion is that the official had his yellow flag in the front of his pants, not already in his hand. He didn't grab the ball of the flag until Fitzy hit the ground. They actually showed the entire range of motion of the play. I initially thought he already had it in hand, but he didn't.

GodfatherofSoul
11-29-2010, 03:21 PM
I damn near got in a fist fight over this at the bar, some knucklehead screaming "you can't lead with your head!" I about lost my f'n mind.

I'm so goddamned tired of these wedgy-traumatized dorks who've never played a down of football saying stupid shit like that. You form tackle someone and odds are the crown of your helmet WILL touch them. And, here's the rub. By telling pass rushers to go lower on QBs they're even MORE likely to hit a guy in the chest with the crown of their helmet. You have to lean further forward on your lunge to stay low. It's pure physics!!!

The worst part of all this is defenders are being fined into using poor tackling technique; throwing shoulders at guys, pulling up on receivers, arm tackling, etc.

7SteelGal43
11-29-2010, 03:25 PM
hit him in the head giving him a concussion, the chest knocking the wind out of him, or lower taking out his knees or sending his testicles out of his asshole. I'll take the way James hit Fitzy any day.

Count Steeler
11-29-2010, 03:52 PM
Pretty sad if Harrison gets fined for that one. I was also surprised that he did not get called for unsportmanlike conduct for protesting the flag. He actually left the ground, jumping around. I'm sure Goodell will have to teach him how to respect the referees and not protest, but just bend over and take it up the you know what.

That call alone, may have taken the wind out of the Steelers defense yesterday. They were pitching a shut out up to that point. They seemed to back off a touch after that call. The refs have to stop being such idiots.

NJarhead
11-29-2010, 04:15 PM

I noticed the quickness of the flag throw too.

HometownGal
11-29-2010, 04:21 PM
Even James knows he has a huge bullseye on his back. :mad2: It's beyond sickening anymore.

Thanks for providing the video Sue. The ref clearly already has the flag in his hand before James makes contact with Fitzpatrick. WTF?????? :mad: :mad2: :mad:

TheRuneMeister
11-29-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd simply like Goodell (or however) to get out on the practice field and show the world how you are supposed to administer that hit when going full speed. If the way James did it is wrong, then I have absolutely no idea how you are supposed to do it. You are running 100% speed towards the quarterback...then what? You make a full stop in the 200ms it takes for the QB to release the ball? Not possible! You launch you body sideways into the QB so your helmet does not hit him? Will cause a hell of a lot more damage! Feet first? Let's call that a 'soccer-punch' :grin:
The way James did it is how its taught everywhere in the world...even here in Denmark in our crappy little wannabe league.

7SteelGal43
12-02-2010, 03:24 PM
yep, the NFL has made sure this video never sees the light of day. This is such bullshit.