PDA

View Full Version : Cutting ties with Ward wouldn't be wise move for Steelers

LLT
11-28-2010, 08:24 AM
Cutting ties with Ward wouldn't be wise move for Steelers
By Mark Kaboly, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 28, 2010

They cut their all-time leading sacks leader and their all-time leading rusher to go along with two of their most productive linebackers.

They had no interest in bringing back the best center they ever had, the best guard they ever had and even one of their best receivers.

So if the Steelers can cut Jason Gildon, Franco Harris, Greg Lloyd and Joey Porter and were not interested enough to bring back Mike Webster, Alan Faneca or Louis Lipps, they wouldn't hesitate to let go of Hines Ward.

The Steelers pride themselves in knowing when the proper time it is to part ways with a player near the end of his career.

Will the offseason give them the time they need to make the decision with Ward?

Read More:
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_711286.html

SteelerSal
11-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Article mentions Wards numbers are lower tha the norm but neglets to add that our passing game was non existant for the first 4 games.
Hines aint going nowhere.

MULLDOG24
11-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Yeah Hines is here as long as he wants to be IMHO. If for no other reason he is a great mentor and "coach on the field" for the younger players.

Galax Steeler
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't think he will be going anywhere he is still a reliable receiver when we need him.

LLT
11-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Article mentions Wards numbers are lower tha the norm but neglets to add that our passing game was non existant for the first 4 games.
Hines aint going nowhere.

Totally agree...but with the possibility of Ward being in his last few years, is there a chance that we look at bringing in another reciever either this offseason or the next?

I think that jettisoning Holmes and ARE not being the factor that some thought he might be, could be reason enough to look at bringing in another WR. Not this offseason (in my opinion), but the following offseason would be the time to think about looking at FA veteran wide recievers.

stlrtruck
11-28-2010, 09:09 AM
I t hink there is a difference between knowing when the player is past his prime and knowing the player's numbers are a product of the system.

I remember watching Franco late in his career and he use to always run for the sidelines instead of bowl people over. It was time to go. I don't know much about the Webster situation, but I know Faneca was looking for a payday, stated as much, and had become a cancer in the locker room. As for Gildon, I believe that was a financial move. The FO knew there was an equally skilled player behind him at a lower cost.

However, Hines. He's still got the fire. To be a blocker, to be a WR, and to play football. You can't replace those things. If he only caught the ball or only did a few things at 100%, then I could see him going away. But he does everything at 100%.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2010, 09:20 AM
What a dumb article:

1) Hey Kaboly, who the hell said we're cutting Ward? Got nothing better to write about? lol

2) Gildon, Harris Lloyd, Webster, and Lipps didn't do jack crap after we let them loose. We totally forgot about Porter with Harrison tearing it up as a the Defensive Player, 3 pro-bowler, and 2-time allpro that he is. Faneca is still having quite the career, but he'd still be bitching if he was still here. And Kemo is playing with a nasty grit. So really, i dont think we really miss any of these guy.

Doc
11-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Mark Kaboly= dummy.

Sounds like he should be a Redskin fan. Pay whatever said player wants just cause at some point in the past he was good.

As for Ward, I hope to God he retires a Steeler. But that's up to Hines more than anyone else. What he and his agent demand in terms of money will be the deciding factor.

Texasteel
11-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Totally agree...but with the possibility of Ward being in his last few years, is there a chance that we look at bringing in another reciever either this offseason or the next?

I think that jettisoning Holmes and ARE not being the factor that some thought he might be, could be reason enough to look at bringing in another WR. Not this offseason (in my opinion), but the following offseason would be the time to think about looking at FA veteran wide recievers.

I agree, next year. How ever, I'm not sure they will do it via FA. If the right WR is available in next years draft I would not be surprised to see them grab him. In fact if a top 10 pick WR falls to them in this years draft I would not be shocked if they pulled the trigger.

SteelerSal
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I agree, next year. How ever, I'm not sure they will do it via FA. If the right WR is available in next years draft I would not be surprised to see them grab him. In fact if a top 10 pick WR falls to them in this years draft I would not be shocked if they pulled the trigger.

Or maybe Sweed gets his head out of his achilles??........................NAHHHH. :lol:

steeldawg
11-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Ward dose not look like he has slowed down at all out there. The style of reciever ward is allows him to play for a long time, as long as those sure hands stay sure he will be part of this team.

Devilsdancefloor
11-28-2010, 11:17 AM
This is a crazy article the ones the mentioned where "done" IMHO. Plus hines does all the little things out on the field that do not show up in stats. Hines is bens security blanket when he is trouble he is looking for him.

LLT
11-28-2010, 11:49 AM

If we go this year... I think there is value with Titus Young of Boise State. He is 5'11 175 lbs, very good speed and a great route runner. 194 receptions...2965 yards...and 25 TD's

As a sleeper I like small school prospect Cecil Shorts III from Mount Union. 6'0 190 lbs. Great character, good speed and out this galaxy production. 249 receptions...3,437 yards...and 61 TD's

LLT
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
If we go this year... I think there is value with Titus Young of Boise State. He is 5'11 175 lbs, very good speed and a great route runner. 194 receptions...2965 yards...and 25 TD's

As a sleeper I like small school prospect Cecil Shorts III from Mount Union. 6'0 190 lbs. Great character, good speed and out this galaxy production. 249 receptions...3,437 yards...and 61 TD's

If we take a WR this next year it will be for ARE's slot....but if we win a Superbowl...you can bet the farm that Hines will retire.

Texasteel
11-28-2010, 11:55 AM

I kinda feel if we do it this year it will be if one of two underclassmen come out and fall to us. To be honest. I see it happening next year. Next years group, right now looks stronger to me.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2010, 11:56 AM
If we take a WR this next year it will be for ARE's slot....but if we win a Superbowl...you can bet the farm that Hines will retire.

DAMN i keep forgetting about that.

steelerdude15
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I don't see Hines going anywhere. I hope he retires a Steeler.

SMR
11-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I believe Hines is a keeper.

Carolina Steelers
11-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Ward dose not look like he has slowed down at all out there. The style of reciever ward is allows him to play for a long time, as long as those sure hands stay sure he will be part of this team.

I agree Ward plays with a certain style, speed is not included so he has no step to lose, he still does everything else just had 7 rec. for 107 yds i could see Ward playing another 3 yrs. When his is contract up?

Butch
11-28-2010, 04:05 PM

I will take that bet. Hines anit goin' nowhere don't know why anyone would think any differently. He still has the fire and he's been Mr. Reliable his whole career.

Nah he aint goin' nowhere.

Polamalu Princess
11-28-2010, 04:29 PM
Hines is still a heck of a player. He is not going anywhere, at least not in my opinion.