PDA

View Full Version : See How The Commissioner's "Rule Changes" Deliberately Ended The 70's Steel Curtain

SteelerEmpire
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh yes. Its happened before... With the new "powder puff " rules, excessive penalties, fines against Steelers players, and the 'real threat' of changing the way the Steelers play THEIR brand of football, it came to mind how the NFL front office ganged up to stop the 70's Steelers defense: The Steel Curtain.
Many current Steelers fans AND players are saying that the NFL is now unfairly targeting the team... and this team only !!! I myself say, " your d*m right they are" !!
I tried to remember were I heard about this and find a source of info on it to refresh myself on the subject. I think I found it and from some of the more reputable sources around at that time.
The two highlight areas of the first video shown are at the 13:40 and 14:30 areas respectively... so please scroll over to those times with your mouse pointer. Also, the subject runs into the second video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkSeTpvyIl0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxhNMd-cjFc&feature=related

tube517
11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
The Mel Blount rule.

To be fair, though, Bradshaw, Swann, Stallworth, Cunningham and Grossman took full advantage of it and won 2 more Super Bowls. So the Steelers got the last laugh.

But the days of the punishing Steel Curtain were effectively over. Rozelle wanted all teams to be 8-8.

steelreserve
11-23-2010, 10:20 PM
That may be, but this time around, they've gone so far that they're ruining the game in general. No matter who you're rooting for, a third of your time is spent watching the action on the field, a third of your time is spent worrying whether they're going to call a bullshit personal foul or pass interference penalty, and the other third is spent listening to other fans and the announcers bitch about why there should have been a penalty. Play the game and shut up, as they say. Unfortunately, it's gotten way, way too far out of hand for that to happen anymore.

stlrtruck
11-24-2010, 11:46 AM
Maybe next year they can do the top 10 things that have ruined the league:

1) Roger Goodell
2) Greedy Owners
3) Greedy Players
4) Tom Brady (he's gay)
5) Roger Goodell
6) Robert Kraft
7) Bill Bilicheat
8) Roger Goodell
9) Tom Brady (he's gay)
10) Roger Goodell

polamalubeast
11-24-2010, 11:52 AM

1) Roger Goodell
2) Greedy Owners
3) Greedy Players
4) Tom Brady (he's gay)
5) Roger Goodell
6) Robert Kraft
7) Bill Bilicheat
8) Roger Goodell
9) Tom Brady (he's gay)
10) Roger Goodell

11.Bill Polian
12.Roger Goodell

Edman
11-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Even after the Mel Blount Rule, football was still football. There was still hard hits and physicality.

Goodell is trying to eliminate the aggressive physicality out of football entirely. Can't hit this guy too hard. Can't hit this guy low. Can't hit this guy high. Gotta pull up when a reciever is catching the ball. There is regard for player safety, then there is stepping over your bounds. Goodell is stepping over his bounds.

SirHulka
11-24-2010, 01:27 PM

1) Roger Goodell
2) Greedy Owners
3) Greedy Players
4) Tom Brady (he's gay)
5) Roger Goodell
6) Robert Kraft
7) Bill Bilicheat
8) Roger Goodell
9) Tom Brady (he's gay)
10) Roger Goodell

You forgot D Smith.

Greg Pruitt has several great years in a row where he went well over 1000 yards each season. He wore a tear-away jersey, that had been around for many years. All the defenders ever got was a piece of jersey. Rozelle out-lawed the jersey when so many teams complained about it. (They happened to be the teams that played US regularly) You guessed it. Pruitt got held up by a defensive lineman the next year, got hammered by a LB, and was out for the year.

You aren't the only ones that get targeted by Der Kommisar.

stlrtruck
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
You aren't the only ones that get targeted by Der Kommisar.

As much as I have the conspiracy theory that Der Kommish is punishing the Steelers and attempting to make an example of them, I truly now believe that he is not good for the league in general. He is, IMO, ruining the league. He's destroying the very foundation of football.

I can only hope that the owners realize this and get him out of office before it's too late.

SirHulka
11-24-2010, 02:27 PM
As much as I have the conspiracy theory that Der Kommish is punishing the Steelers and attempting to make an example of them, I truly now believe that he is not good for the league in general. He is, IMO, ruining the league. He's destroying the very foundation of football.

I can only hope that the owners realize this and get him out of office before it's too late.

I've said this for some time. Goodell and Smith aren't football people. They're lawyers. They don't care about what's good for the league, they're only interested in 'winning' the negotiations. Sadly, everyone else will be the losers.

stlrtruck
11-24-2010, 03:13 PM
I've said this for some time. Goodell and Smith aren't football people. They're lawyers. They don't care about what's good for the league, they're only interested in 'winning' the negotiations. Sadly, everyone else will be the losers.

I couldn't agree more. What's worse is that the worse losers will be us, the fans!

ALLD
11-24-2010, 05:46 PM
They are watering down the effect of building a complete team in the NFL. Some teams are getting away with good offenses and a marginal defense as long as they are league favorites and receive the benefit of calls.

Why not just get rid of the grounding penalty on the passer in order to reduce that risk of injury?

stlrtruck
11-24-2010, 10:22 PM
They are watering down the effect of building a complete team in the NFL. Some teams are getting away with good offenses and a marginal defense as long as they are league favorites and receive the benefit of calls.

Why not just get rid of the grounding penalty on the passer in order to reduce that risk of injury?

Personally I think they should get rid of the offense's ability to throw the ball in the ground to kill the clock. There's nothing the defense can do to stop the clock, the offense shouldn't be allowed either.

Psycho Ward 86
11-24-2010, 10:36 PM
Personally I think they should get rid of the offense's ability to throw the ball in the ground to kill the clock. There's nothing the defense can do to stop the clock, the offense shouldn't be allowed either.

Just watch: Someday, there will be an epic game hanging by a thread and the opposing team will attempt to spike the ball when Troy comes out of nowhere and snags the ball before it hits the ground and stops 'em cold :)

solardave
11-25-2010, 05:04 AM
QUOTE=stlrtruck;96307]Maybe next year they can do the top 10 things that have ruined the league:

1) Roger Goodell
2) Greedy Owners
3) Greedy Players
4) Tom Brady (he's gay)
5) Roger Goodell
6) Robert Kraft
7) Bill Bilicheat
8) Roger Goodell
9) Tom Brady (he's gay)
10) Roger Goodell[/QUOTE]

Great list. It says it all.:chuckle: But seriously when you tell a defensive player that he is responsible for how an offensive player will react to being hit the defensive player can NOT win. It's impossible to adjust under nearly all situations. How can a DB, LB, or D-lineman possibly predict that another player is going to drop his head leaving him vulnerable to helmet to helmet? If a player lauches that's different. I'm all for cleaning up cheap shots. But all this other nonsense, especially when you have one man ultimately dishing out the fines (and he is an asshole who hates you're favorite team) the Steelers can't win this arguement. It really is pathetic.