PDA

View Full Version : Steelers May Be Correct in Criticism of NFL Officials

stillers4me
11-23-2010, 05:04 AM
by Mike Cole (http://www.nesn.com/mike-cole/) on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:25PM http://cdn.nesn.com/img/comments/comments-10.png 3 (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html#comments)

James Harrison, Steelers May Be Correct in Criticism of NFL Officials, Must Keep Playing Hard Regardless (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html)

The NFL seems serious about its attempt to clean up the game by eliminating vicious hits it deems illegal. The league may just be picking the Pittsburgh Steelers to make its point.
The Steelers were flagged 20 times on Sunday in their 35-3 win over the Raiders.

One of those penalties was for roughing the passer, another was for an illegal block above the waist and three more were for other personal fouls.

Safety Ryan Clark was called for what may have been a bogus helmet-to-helmet penalty. Linebacker James Harrison was the guilty party on the roughing-the-passer call, another questionable flag.

In a league that wants to clean up some of the hits its players give out every week, is it possible that it may be more than a coincidence that the Steelers are getting flagged the way they are?...................

Read more: http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html

HometownGal
11-23-2010, 05:34 AM
I totally believe the Steelers are being targeted by Goododo and the league and nothing anyone says will change that opinion. I'm glad our guys are going to continue to play tough, hard-nosed, kick your ass football as it was meant to be played. :thumbsup: :tt02:

:upyours: Goodell.

stillers4me
11-23-2010, 05:38 AM
I can see it now. When we lift our next Lombardi, it won't be because the refs and the league helped us again, it will be because we "play dirty". :coffee:

cakmakli
11-23-2010, 06:14 AM
I totally believe the Steelers are being targeted by Goododo and the league and nothing anyone says will change that opinion. I'm glad our guys are going to continue to play tough, hard-nosed, kick your ass football as it was meant to be played. :thumbsup: :tt02:

:upyours: Goodell.

Totally agree. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Moose
11-23-2010, 07:02 AM
I totally agree also. Why else are so many penalties going against us for so many 'questionable' calls. Even the TV announcers are starting to question and comment on the calls. Those watching the Sunday game saw the Harrison QB tackle....clean and text book. Same with Clark's call and Woodley's. Now, what about the 'helmet to helmet' on WARD ? You know, the one that gave him the concussion or 'neck injury' ?!! I guess the ref's don't need to review that hit ? It may have to take Coach Tomlin or the Rooney's to start kicking some dust, making some noise and questioning these so-called calls on our team players !!!!!!! ( and why does my replies have duplicate phrases when I'm NOT TYPING THEM IN ??!! LOL )

Raleigh Steel
11-23-2010, 07:17 AM
again, for all of the haters out there who think the steelers can't win without the refs help...STFU!!!! we aren't even allowed to tackle unless we do it politely. not only is the league against us, but the refs are now as well (per the leagues instructions)...AND WE STILL WON BY 31 POINTS!

so all you haters out there: WE WIN BECAUSE WE ARE BETTER! WE OVERCOME OBSTACLES! WE WIN, YOU LOSE, YOU SUCK, GO HOME!!!!

Butch
11-23-2010, 08:05 AM
again, for all of the haters out there who think the steelers can't win without the refs help...STFU!!!! we aren't even allowed to tackle unless we do it politely. not only is the league against us, but the refs are now as well (per the leagues instructions)...AND WE STILL WON BY 31 POINTS!

so all you haters out there: WE WIN BECAUSE WE ARE BETTER! WE OVERCOME OBSTACLES! WE WIN, YOU LOSE, YOU SUCK, GO HOME!!!!

Exactly this is the one thing we of Steeler Nation can hang our hats on. Other teams hang there hats on lets quit and then blame the refs and all will be ok. They quit on their fans and then get them to buy into the bad reffing cost us the game. Bullbutter holmgren !!!

stlrtruck
11-23-2010, 12:53 PM
When you've got a pansy leading the league's front office, it's only a matter of time before he attempts to get rid of all the hard nosed players so his favorites have a more leveled field of play to win games on.

steel striker
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I know we are sick and tired of the BS and, there is a double standard going on here. NFL protects every player that is not a Pittsburgh Steeler.

ALLD
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Either the Steelers have become the sloppiest team in the NFL or they are being intentionally targeted. All they have to do is contact a couple of game officials and let them know what the league wants done. However, they need not be so obvious about it or they could be accused of racketeering.

SMR
11-23-2010, 04:34 PM
I can see it now. When we lift our next Lombardi, it won't be because the refs and the league helped us again, it will be because we "play dirty". :coffee:

"Dirty" has never looked soooooo good!

T&B fan
11-23-2010, 04:43 PM
by Mike Cole (http://www.nesn.com/mike-cole/) on Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 9:25PM http://cdn.nesn.com/img/comments/comments-10.png 3 (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html#comments)

James Harrison, Steelers May Be Correct in Criticism of NFL Officials, Must Keep Playing Hard Regardless (http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html)

The NFL seems serious about its attempt to clean up the game by eliminating vicious hits it deems illegal. The league may just be picking the Pittsburgh Steelers to make its point.
The Steelers were flagged 20 times on Sunday in their 35-3 win over the Raiders.

One of those penalties was for roughing the passer, another was for an illegal block above the waist and three more were for other personal fouls.

Safety Ryan Clark was called for what may have been a bogus helmet-to-helmet penalty. Linebacker James Harrison was the guilty party on the roughing-the-passer call, another questionable flag.

In a league that wants to clean up some of the hits its players give out every week, is it possible that it may be more than a coincidence that the Steelers are getting flagged the way they are?...................

Read more: http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/james-harrison-steelers-may-be-correct-in-criticism-of-nfl-officials-must-keep-playing-hard-regardle.html

yea and we MAY have sun tomorrow

Craic
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
You know...

it is just about time to organize a massive fax-mail-Western Union-campaign. No emails, they just get deleted. Buy you have to do SOMETHING with actual paper.

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 05:19 PM
This is getting a little out of hand.

And it's not just the officals, it's the reaction I'm seeing.

Yes, there were some really bad calls made on Sunday. But how do we go from "bad calls" to "Goodell is out to get us"? Let's look at a couple things.

First, as I said, there were some bad calls. But we've seen crap calls for "driving into the QB" before. I think a Giants player had one that ultimately cost them a game earlier in the year. We know the protection of the QB. Right or wrong, we know that exists and we're not the first to face the consequences of harsher penalties.

Second, a lot of those calls were holding. That's simply on us. The rate that it was being called was something I hadn't seen before, but there were some clear holds. Legursky's hold on Mendenhall's big run? Definitely grabbed the tackle. That's our own fault.

Let's look at the seasonal totals.

We're tied for 15th in the league with 62 penalties and coming into the Oakland game, were probably much lower on that list. We have 8.8 penalty yards per play. To put that in perspective, a team like Oakland is at 8.4, New England (who you guys say is "in" with Goodell) is at 9.0, and Denver is at 10.1!

Who wants to claim the NFL is out to get New England, who has more penalty yards per play and only seven fewer penalties. They've had a player fined 50K and if I recall LLT's post, were pretty high up there on fine totals. Who's with me! The NFL is trying to stop the New England Patriots! Where's the petition at to right this wrong?

It might be easy to think they're "out to get us" because it's at times, frustrating. Occam's razor sums it up best. The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

It's much simpler to think that the refs merely overstepped their bounds than a league-wide witchunt on us.

BigNastyDefense
11-23-2010, 05:20 PM
It's becoming obvious that the Steelers are being targeted. And it is complete bullshit. Why is it that the process to remove the President of the United States from office is easier than removing the commissioner of the National Football League?

smokin3000gt
11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
If they want to officiate that bad and that pussily then we should be able to challenge their BS calls.

ALLD
11-23-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike Prisuta said it best, "The veil of hypocracy has been lifted." That statement was made about the $25k fine on R Seymour, even though he is a repeat offender and the blow to the head could have caused a concussion.

I have been saying it since the Cleveland game. The league isn't consistant in its message and is specifically targeting the Steelers.

Could be a split in ownership with regards to the CBA. We have already seen two different statements come out. Could be a power grab by one camp with a means to exclude another. Could be something entirely unknown. However, the NFL's new policy is being used as punishment on a pick and choose basis with the Steeler's receiveing the worst end of it. There is no balance and it is completely arbitrary if you consider that multi-offender Seymour was only fined $25k for hitting a QB in the head after a whistle.

silver & black
11-23-2010, 07:59 PM
This is getting a little out of hand.

And it's not just the officals, it's the reaction I'm seeing.

Yes, there were some really bad calls made on Sunday. But how do we go from "bad calls" to "Goodell is out to get us"? Let's look at a couple things.

First, as I said, there were some bad calls. But we've seen crap calls for "driving into the QB" before. I think a Giants player had one that ultimately cost them a game earlier in the year. We know the protection of the QB. Right or wrong, we know that exists and we're not the first to face the consequences of harsher penalties.

Second, a lot of those calls were holding. That's simply on us. The rate that it was being called was something I hadn't seen before, but there were some clear holds. Legursky's hold on Mendenhall's big run? Definitely grabbed the tackle. That's our own fault.

Let's look at the seasonal totals.

We're tied for 15th in the league with 62 penalties and coming into the Oakland game, were probably much lower on that list. We have 8.8 penalty yards per play. To put that in perspective, a team like Oakland is at 8.4, New England (who you guys say is "in" with Goodell) is at 9.0, and Denver is at 10.1!

Who wants to claim the NFL is out to get New England, who has more penalty yards per play and only seven fewer penalties. They've had a player fined 50K and if I recall LLT's post, were pretty high up there on fine totals. Who's with me! The NFL is trying to stop the New England Patriots! Where's the petition at to right this wrong?

It might be easy to think they're "out to get us" because it's at times, frustrating. Occam's razor sums it up best. The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

It's much simpler to think that the refs merely overstepped their bounds than a league-wide witchunt on us.

Being a Raiders fan, I've heard more conspiracy theories and black helicpters circling, than you can believe. ESPN hates the Raiders... the NFL hates the Raiders... the sports magazines hate the Raiders... the play by play personell hate the Raiders... then "experts" hate the Raiders... everyone who isn't a Raiders fan hates the Raiders (ok, that one's true...lol). The point is, no one is is out to "get" any team. Sometimes it just seems like it. I will say, though, if any team and it's fans should feel that way, it's the Raiders. Over the years, I can't think of another team that has had more bullshit calls and game deciding calls against them, than the Raiders.

That said, it does seem like the Steelers are being picked on this year, while the Raiders have been left alone, for a change. It isn't right what's going on, and I don't agree with it, but it sure is nice to watch it happen to someone else for a change. :nod:

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Being a Raiders fan, I've heard more conspiracy theories and black helicpters circling, than you can believe. ESPN hates the Raiders... the NFL hates the Raiders... the sports magazines hate the Raiders... the play by play personell hate the Raiders... then "experts" hate the Raiders... everyone who isn't a Raiders fan hates the Raiders (ok, that one's true...lol). The point is, no one is is out to "get" any team. Sometimes it just seems like it. I will say, though, if any team and it's fans should feel that way, it's the Raiders. Over the years, I can't think of another team that has had more bullshit calls and game deciding calls against them, than the Raiders.

That said, it does seem like the Steelers are being picked on this year, while the Raiders have been left alone, for a change. It isn't right what's going on, and I don't agree with it, but it sure is nice to watch it happen to someone else for a change. :nod:

The numbers would actually give you guys more of a right to complain than we. And if the Pats are as bad and worse than us, the thought of a "conspiracy" would go out the window since a lot of fans who think we're getting picked on, think the league is giving New England special treatment.

ALLD
11-23-2010, 08:32 PM
They would give Manning preference over Brady if they knew he wouldn't choke on another loss.

Galax Steeler
11-24-2010, 04:12 AM
I think we need to keep up the hard playing and not let up we can't give in to that piece of shit goodell.

Moose
11-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Another aggravating point on Seymour's hit was that it was an INTENTIONAL hit, and that seems to be overlooked by the commi commish ! That alone should be 25k, and then the hit to the head--25k, and then, 'heaven forbid' a hit on a QB--25k !! OR 25k and a suspension of a game or two.

NCSteeler
11-24-2010, 06:27 AM
The Seymour fine is the most telling to me. He is a repeat offender, specifically a repeat offender when it comes to on field fighting. James got whacked with 75 k because he was quote " a repeat offender" . These fines are something controlled by the league office not a ref on the field making a spot judgement. They have plenty of time to get them right and yet this was so off balance it has to make you think a bit.

BTW check out Bang Cartoons look at defense under the current commish in the Comedy forum