PDA

View Full Version : NFL officials' calls penalize players, fans. Must read Ron Cook column.

zulater
11-23-2010, 04:59 AM
Steelers linebacker James Farrior said he isn't concerned about where the NFL is headed with its crackdown on the violence in professional football.

He said it's too late for that.

"The game has already gone to where we don't want it to go," Farrior said. "The sad thing is it's not going to change."

Farrior is one of the more intelligent players in the NFL. When he speaks, I listen because I know he thinks everything through. If a player of his stature -- a decorated 14-year veteran in the league -- is disgusted by the state of the game, commissioner Roger Goodell should be alarmed.

"You know what it's come to? They're penalizing us for hitting too hard," Farrior said. "It's sad."

I didn't want to believe it until I watched the Steelers-Oakland Raiders game Sunday. There were three personal-foul penalties against the Steelers' LaMarr Woodley, Ryan Clark and James Harrison that almost defied belief. Each was a legitimate football play. Each resulted in a 15-yard penalty.

Ridiculous.Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10327/1105390-87.stm#ixzz166OVafzC

LLT
11-23-2010, 09:28 AM
I talked to Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham about all of this the other day. He said something that really stuck with me.

"It should come down to common sense. The officials should know what's a dirty hit and what's not."

That's the real problem with the NFL today.

Too many flags.

Not enough common sense.

Good stuff!!!

steelpride12
11-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Great read Zu! I agree completely with Farrior of course and It just a shame what this league has turned into and like he said It's too late to turn back it has done it's damage and the league will continue the flags, and fines from now on. Pathetic.

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2010, 09:45 AM
good read...

crcsnail
11-23-2010, 10:38 AM
good read and someone talking some sense .

tube517
11-23-2010, 11:57 AM
I talked to Steelers Hall of Fame linebacker Jack Ham about all of this the other day. He said something that really stuck with me.

"It should come down to common sense. The officials should know what's a dirty hit and what's not."

(Problem is, Jack, these refs have NO common sense.......pitiful)

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10327/1105390-87.stm#ixzz1685iqyZW

Butch
11-23-2010, 12:34 PM

(Problem is, Jack, these refs have NO common sense.......pitiful)

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10327/1105390-87.stm#ixzz1685iqyZW

To be honest I think it is out of their hands and the orders they receive come from the one and only Go To Hell Godel. The proof will be if the NFL says anything publicly and proclaim that the game in question was a debacle or if they simply glaze over it. I am expecting the later.

As I have said before we need to have Ownership take the lead on this and they have to get the media involved or else nothing will happen. It would help immensely if other owners and players got involved but again I aint holdin' my breath on any of this. I have seen people sending messages to Go To Hell Godel but maybe we need to start a letter writing campaign to Mr. Rooney after all we all know the NFL will hear no evil.

BigNastyDefense
11-23-2010, 05:54 PM
The thing is Butch, at the moment the owners cannot really stick up for the players. Not with the CBA negotiations going on. If an owner stands up for the players before a new CBA gets hammered out, that owner and team will get absolutely no support from other owners on absolutely anything.

IMHO, I think Roger Goodell knows this, and it's why all this stuff is happening this year. The owners can't stand up and say a thing right now.