PDA

View Full Version : NFL taking a look at Heinz Field Turf

Borski
11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
NFL taking a look at Heinz Field
(http://nfl-facts-and-rumors.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22475988/25955795)

The NFL is examining the playing surface at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh after the Raiders made an official complaint about the state of the sod, a week after the Patriots also made their negative feelings known about it, NFL.com’s Jason La Canfora is reporting.

The problems on the field occur between the 30-yard lines and between the hashmarks. La Canfora writes the Steelers plan to re-sod those areas sometime in the future.

One reason the footing there is so poor is because the University of Pittsburgh plays its home games at Heinz Field, along with a number of high school playoff games.

fansince'76
11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
They need to take a look at the officiating a lot more.

steelpride12
11-21-2010, 11:04 PM
Ya I guess the Commish going all dictatorship and turning this league into flag football is no big deal just look at the turf, hell fine us for it.

tube517
11-21-2010, 11:06 PM
The Crypt Keeper still cannot accept the losses in the '72 Immaculate Reception Game and the '74 and '75 AFCC games. He still thinks it is 1976 and probably wet his old man diapers when Seymour hit Ben.

Steeltreal
11-21-2010, 11:06 PM
After the -5 yard 2nd quarter they should be looking for answers. Havent seen that dominate quarter since the .17 seconds San Diego had in the playoffs a couple years ago.

NCSteeler
11-21-2010, 11:23 PM
We can't all play on carpet or in a dome. Come to Pittsburgh ready to play real football on grass and dirt. It's how the game is played! It was so much better playing on cement at TRS

Merchant
11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Are we gonna get fined for this too?

Devilsdancefloor
11-21-2010, 11:41 PM
steelers didnt have problem with it... i think that is why they call it home field advantage good lord play like crap and make more excuses. Yes we will get fined for it you just watch

steelerdude15
11-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Everyone does have to admit, that field sucks. It's by far one of the best in the league. Yes, I realize everything else that goes on in that stadium, but they might need to look into another type of turf.

Devilsdancefloor
11-21-2010, 11:47 PM
i like the grass i hope they dont go to turf

steelerdude15
11-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Well I mean, another type of grass. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
11-22-2010, 03:22 AM
Just something else for them to bitch about what is next.

silver & black
11-22-2010, 06:23 AM
The Crypt Keeper still cannot accept the losses in the '72 Immaculate Reception Game and the '74 and '75 AFCC games. He still thinks it is 1976 and probably wet his old man diapers when Seymour hit Ben.

It seems to me that the Raiders aren't the only team that ever complained about your field. I've even heard some of you complain about it over the past few years.

T&B fan
11-22-2010, 10:31 AM
who doesn't remember the rain game where the ball stuck in the sod on a punt . still one of the best
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

tube517
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Where did I say that Heinz Field was perfect? I think it was even voted the worst field in the NFL.

What I'm saying is the old man bitched about the field in the AFCC game in Jan 76 when BOTH teams with great WR's had to deal with it. So, it seems to me 2 teams were playing Sunday in that crap field.

It seems to me that the Raiders aren't the only team that ever complained about your field. I've even heard some of you complain about it over the past few years.

smokin3000gt
11-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I hope they keep the HS games off the turf. They haven't earned the right yet. College maybe but let's not tear it up any more then we have to IMO.

GodfatherofSoul
11-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Did anyone notice how much sandy grit was in the grass clods? I am not a landscaper, but that just doesn't look right.

Maybe Heinz has established a new Normal for me, but IMO a bad field day there is when a punt sticks in the turf like a lawn dart. My mom actually made a "WTF?" call to me after that game!

Craic
11-22-2010, 10:52 AM

And the damage their doing to the game

and the amount of the fines

and if the cheats are stealing signals again

and maybe even drugtest bongtonio again.

oneforthetoe
11-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I hope they keep the HS games off the turf. They haven't earned the right yet. College maybe but let's not tear it up any more then we have to IMO.

The high school kids using the field hasn't been relavent to the turf for three years. The kids have not used the field yet this season. It will be used this weekend and then the grass will be replaced before the Steelers play on it again.

O'Malley
11-22-2010, 12:54 PM
Last time I checked both teams have to play on the field. IMO turf is where most of the knee injuries come from. Concussions from hitting your head on the turf are a comman place. If they want to make the game safer put grass in all the stadiums around the league.

ALLD
11-22-2010, 01:44 PM
If the league starts legislating the type of field in a stadium, then they need to look at broadcasting crowd noise through the sound system like what is done at many domes.

st33lersguy
11-22-2010, 02:34 PM
This will be a re dherring for the league to use to keep themselves from looking at the awful officiating

TheRuneMeister
11-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Its football!!! You are supposed to play it on gras and in the mud. Turf is a bunch of slippery crap. If teams are allowed to use that crap, Pitt should be allowed to play on their wonderful banged up grassy goodness. This is not indoor flag football. Soon they will demand that players chance jerseys if they get dirty.

tube517
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
You must not be keeping up with the rule changes/"enforcements" Goodhell wants it to be arena football. Dirty jerseys and sloppy fields are not Goodhell's brand of football. Pretty soon, the Rooneys are going to be fined if it snows.

Its football!!! You are supposed to play it on gras and in the mud. Turf is a bunch of slippery crap. If teams are allowed to use that crap, Pitt should be allowed to play on their wonderful banged up grassy goodness. This is not indoor flag football. Soon they will demand that players chance jerseys if they get dirty.

Butch
11-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Crap now this will negate any fines to seymore he will simply claim he lost his footing when he sucker punched Ben. I'm sure Go To Hell Godel will consider that an acceptable excuse.

Count Steeler
11-22-2010, 03:52 PM
OHHH. The field is why the officials and the Raiders sucked yesterday. The Officials have no excuse. The Raiders just met a more determined, more aggressive, more hungry team. The field has nothing to do with it. The Steelers have to play on this surface 8 games, every other team that visits only once. Who has the handicap?

BPS3akaWirels3
11-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I do not want artificial turf.. It's not safe for the players...

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
OHHH. The field is why the officials and the Raiders sucked yesterday. The Officials have no excuse. The Raiders just met a more determined, more aggressive, more hungry team. The field has nothing to do with it. The Steelers have to play on this surface 8 games, every other team that visits only once. Who has the handicap?

Plus the Preseason and Post Season games to that are hosted at Heinz Field. In terms of the handicap, I say neither. The Steelers have found every way to battle adjust to it.

Dick723
11-22-2010, 04:19 PM
We can't all play on carpet or in a dome. Come to Pittsburgh ready to play real football on grass and dirt. It's how the game is played! It was so much better playing on cement at TRS

No I agree. Our field sucks. I think our offence would be a lot better with Field turf

TheRuneMeister
11-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh, and btw, who the f@ck are THEY to talk? This was their home field last year
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/kurtenblog/HalfordsStag056.jpg
Sand? WTF?

silver & black
11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh, and btw, who the f@ck are THEY to talk? This was their home field last year
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee50/kurtenblog/HalfordsStag056.jpg
Sand? WTF?

Yea, that's how it is when you have to share a field with a Baseball team. The players hate it too.

SMR
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Me too!

Psycho Ward 86
11-22-2010, 06:40 PM

This. And many players, especially ours prefer the grass to the turf, saying it causes less injuries. Why should the NFL care? BOTH teams are playing on our crappy grass, it's an even match whether you bitch about it or not.

Chidi29
11-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Harrison even called the middle of the field a sand pit. That's why he was slow to get up in the 4th quarter.

I don't think the NFL cares if you have turf or grass. You just need to maintain it.

Thank God we aren't at home this week. Three WPIAL games and maybe a Pitt game. Field would be even worse.

HometownGal
11-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Isn't that the truth?

Even though the field at HF is shit, football is supposed to be played in the dirt, mud, wind, rain, snow and cold. What's next - the Steelers getting fined because there's too much wind coming off the Ohio or because it's snowing during a December game? :jerkit:

zulater
11-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Everyone does have to admit, that field sucks. It's by far one of the best in the league. Yes, I realize everything else that goes on in that stadium, but they might need to look into another type of turf.

Yeah if they're going to continue to allow the high school games to play there they need to switch to the stuff they have in the Meadowlands, what is that Precription athletic turf? It looks and plays pretty real, certainly not the old concrete with a rug they had at Three Rivers.

zulater
11-22-2010, 07:26 PM
Harrison even called the middle of the field a sand pit. That's why he was slow to get up in the 4th quarter.

I don't think the NFL cares if you have turf or grass. You just need to maintain it.

Thank God we aren't at home this week. Three WPIAL games and maybe a Pitt game. Field would be even worse.

You see the way that field comes up in clumps and you just pray that we don't have someone blow out a knee in that shit?

zulater
11-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Me too!

We won four Super bowls on turf. The new stuff is much better, even looks real. I think eventually it's going to happen, I just hope it's not after we lose a key player or two to injuries caused by the grass monster.

Yeah I know a player can get injured on any surface, but it stands to reason if the ground you're cutting on is unstable your chance of injury is that much greater. I know with throroughbred race horses we have needless fatalities every year due to uneven racing surfaces.

BigNastyDefense
11-22-2010, 07:42 PM
While I love seeing the grass and mud stains on the white jerseys of the visiting team, I admit that our field is by far the shittiest in the NFL.

However, both teams play on it. Don't blame the field because you got completely dominated by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

zulater
11-22-2010, 07:50 PM
While I love seeing the grass and mud stains on the white jerseys of the visiting team, I admit that our field is by far the shittiest in the NFL.

However, both teams play on it. Don't blame the field because you got completely dominated by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

No question the Raiders can't use it in the way of an excuse. Still i think for our own players safety, and for the betterment of play the Steelers need to address the situation in a meaningfull manner. I honestly think with our speed we'd benifit greatly playing on an improved surface.

Texasteel
11-22-2010, 08:12 PM
Personally I like grass, but if the club decided to go with something else, thats OK as well. I just do not like GODell and his puppets coming in here dictating what surface we will or will not use. I expect him to come in here next telling us we can't use Black and Gold. We have to change our uniforms to Lime and Tangerine. The way he has the league going I think your going to see a lot more fruit colors.

Chidi29
11-22-2010, 08:42 PM
You see the way that field comes up in clumps and you just pray that we don't have someone blow out a knee in that shit?

Yup. You see the way Campbell's leg bent when he got taken down by it? It could have easily been us. And then all of a sudden you hear, "Why is the field so bad? Why didn't they do anything about it?"

Chidi29
11-22-2010, 08:43 PM
Personally I like grass, but if the club decided to go with something else, thats OK as well. I just do not like GODell and his puppets coming in here dictating what surface we will or will not use. I expect him to come in here next telling us we can't use Black and Gold. We have to change our uniforms to Lime and Tangerine. The way he has the league going I think your going to see a lot more fruit colors.

To be clear, the NFL hasn't done anything yet. Let's at least wait before we start jumping down their throats.

BabyChelle
11-22-2010, 09:02 PM
Agreed !

SteelCityMan786
11-22-2010, 09:26 PM
Isn't that the truth?

Even though the field at HF is shit, football is supposed to be played in the dirt, mud, wind, rain, snow and cold. What's next - the Steelers getting fined because there's too much wind coming off the Ohio or because it's snowing during a December game? :jerkit:

I ran the bases after a Pirates game at TRS and didn't like the surface. I played a couple games on Astroturf, and hated that to.

Grass should be the ONLY surface Football is played on. All Outdoors, ALL the time. No Domes. The Falcons, Saints, and Vikings need new stadiums or renovate their stadiums to NOT have Domes at all.

salamander
11-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I ran the bases after a Pirates game at TRS and didn't like the surface. I played a couple games on Astroturf, and hated that to.

Grass should be the ONLY surface Football is played on. All Outdoors, ALL the time. No Domes. The Falcons, Saints, and Vikings need new stadiums or renovate their stadiums to NOT have Domes at all.

Der Kommish will have none of that :nono:

O'Malley
11-22-2010, 09:44 PM
You have to keep the fans warm.:sarcasm2:

X-Terminator
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
The problem is not the HS games...they are only played there one Saturday per year. The problem is the Steelers having to share a field with Pitt. Of course you're going to have a bad field under those circumstances. Anyway, they are planning to re-sod the field after the HS games on Saturday and it will have almost 2 full weeks to settle in before the Steelers play there again. I personally do not want to see them go to an artificial grass of any kind. If the Arizona Cardinals can have a natural grass field in a dome, then the Steelers can and should have a grass field outdoors. It's what football is supposed to be played on.

NCSteeler
11-22-2010, 11:51 PM
We won four Super bowls on turf. The new stuff is much better, even looks real. I think eventually it's going to happen, I just hope it's not after we lose a key player or two to injuries caused by the grass monster.

Yeah I know a player can get injured on any surface, but it stands to reason if the ground you're cutting on is unstable your chance of injury is that much greater. I know with throroughbred race horses we have needless fatalities every year due to uneven racing surfaces.

Actually to listen to some players , you hear that the more it gives when they are cutting and tackling the better. MANY Many injurys have been caused by a turf with TOO much traction.

Texasteel
11-23-2010, 11:12 AM
To be clear, the NFL hasn't done anything yet. Let's at least wait before we start jumping down their throats.

It seems so far that they don't investigate anything that has to do with a few teams out there unless they have already made up their minds,,,,,,,,,,, his mind.. Sides, I hate to be the last.

BnG_Hevn
11-23-2010, 11:53 AM

The Patriots also complained. I don't think they were making excuses.

BeerMan
11-23-2010, 11:55 AM
I know our field sucks, but at least the turf will be replaced after this weekend. Anybody see how bad San Diego's grass looked last night? You'd think that field would never have bad turf considering the climate.

Burghfan58
11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
I think Skippy is behind this.

SteelMember
11-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I wonder why they stopped using the DD GrassMaster system they installed. It used to stitch natural turf in with artificial fibers. Seems like that would keep it down better than laying sod on a sand rich base that obviously rips up a lot easier. :noidea:

X-Terminator
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
I wonder why they stopped using the DD GrassMaster system they installed. It used to stitch natural turf in with artificial fibers. Seems like that would keep it down better than laying sod on a sand rich base that obviously rips up a lot easier. :noidea:

It had the same problems as the current surface, so they got rid of it after the 2008 season.

fansince'76
11-23-2010, 03:03 PM
It had the same problems as the current surface, so they got rid of it after the 2008 season.

Isn't that the surface that didn't drain for that Miami game where the ball simply stuck in it without bouncing during a punt?

O'Malley
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Either way both teams have to play on the same field. IMO grass is safer then artificial turf.

43Hitman
11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Isn't that the surface that didn't drain for that Miami game where the ball simply stuck in it without bouncing during a punt?

That was the game when they tried to lay sod over loose sod.

SteelMember
11-23-2010, 04:29 PM

It would seem like it would be better. I seemed fine in Denver. I thought it might have more to do with maintenance costs more than anything. It cost about 3/4 of a million when they installed it.

That was the game when they tried to lay sod over loose sod.

Exactly.

They didn't have time to remove all the damages sod, so they just overlayed the old with new... then the rain started for about a week straight. :doh:

You figure with all the great golf courses around western PA, there would be someone who might do a better job keeping it up. Although, anyone good probably wouldn't want to watch all their hard work get destroyed in a few short hours. But that is the challenge, imo.

Do the same people do Heinz Field and PNC Park?

Chidi29
11-23-2010, 05:23 PM
It seems so far that they don't investigate anything that has to do with a few teams out there unless they have already made up their minds,,,,,,,,,,, his mind.. Sides, I hate to be the last.

We need to give them the benefit of the doubt before tearing their heads off and calling Goodell Hitler. Again.

oneforthetoe
11-23-2010, 08:21 PM

If I remember correctly it was said that with the DD Grass Master they had to replace the entire turf all at one time. However, with the grass surface there is at least the potential of replacing just the poor sections. Personally, that explanation doesn't make sense to me, but I know I read it on the Internet so it must be true.

All I know is that Santo said if you get some rolling papers, roll up a little dube with the DD Grass Master, you'll have a bitchin time.:rockon:

And you guys all thought the DD Grass Master was ripped out by cleats during the games.

X-Terminator
11-23-2010, 08:37 PM
It would seem like it would be better. I seemed fine in Denver. I thought it might have more to do with maintenance costs more than anything. It cost about 3/4 of a million when they installed it.

The Broncos don't have to share their field with a college team, either. So it doesn't get nearly the abuse that Heinz gets.

Exactly.

They didn't have time to remove all the damages sod, so they just overlayed the old with new... then the rain started for about a week straight. :doh:

You figure with all the great golf courses around western PA, there would be someone who might do a better job keeping it up. Although, anyone good probably wouldn't want to watch all their hard work get destroyed in a few short hours. But that is the challenge, imo.

Do the same people do Heinz Field and PNC Park?

As far as I know, they do not. Plus, part of the problem may be the location of the stadium - with it being so close to the river, there may be a bit of a moisture issue that prevents them from being able to keep a sturdy field.

SirHulka
11-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Cleveland, Buffalo, and several other cold weather teams have natural grass, and there doesn't seem to be any complaints from other teams about them. Maybe it's the groundskeepers. Like it's been posted, NE didn't seem to have a problem with it, and THEY complained, too.

zulater
11-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Cleveland, Buffalo, and several other cold weather teams have natural grass, and there doesn't seem to be any complaints from other teams about them. Maybe it's the groundskeepers. Like it's been posted, NE didn't seem to have a problem with it, and THEY complained, too.

No it's the usage. Do Buffalo or Cleveland share their stadium with a college team like the Steelers do with the University of Pittsburgh? Also the Steelers allow the high school playoffs to be played at Heinz. Anyway it's particualry bad when the Steelers and Panthers are home on the same weekend, and if you throw in some weather, there's really not a lot the groundskeeping crew can do.

In my opinion the Steelers should switch to the stuff they have in the Meadowlands. Looks good, plays good, and with two NFL teams supports more games, so it's more durable.

zulater
11-24-2010, 02:55 PM
The Broncos don't have to share their field with a college team, either. So it doesn't get nearly the abuse that Heinz gets.

As far as I know, they do not. Plus, part of the problem may be the location of the stadium - with it being so close to the river, there may be a bit of a moisture issue that prevents them from being able to keep a sturdy field.

Meadowlands is as close to the water as Heinz field and has to stand up to home games for two NFL teams and some for Rutgers.

43Hitman
11-24-2010, 05:02 PM
I agree Zu, I would like to see that field turf that the Jets and Giants use. Whats the point of having all of our speed if we can't use it to its potential? I think a consistent field would help to be honest.

CPanther95
11-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Well I mean, another type of grass. :chuckle:

Great idea! Pick the right strain and get it done before the Jets come to town and Santonio won't be able to focus on his routes. :lol:

zulater
11-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I agree Zu, I would like to see that field turf that the Jets and Giants use. Whats the point of having all of our speed if we can't use it to its potential? I think a consistent field would help to be honest.

It would be like a Penguin fan wanting choppy ice and wasting Sid and Geno's skill set.

edinmb
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
It will be completely resodded after Saturday's high school championship games. This is normal year after year. They will have 2 weeks before the next game to get it ready. Then 3 straight home games and the hockey on New Years day. How will it look for any playoff game is anyones guess.

SteelCityMan786
11-24-2010, 08:18 PM

Keep in mind that it's NOT that grass that has been causing any of the injuries or many of the problems. You may say stuff such as optimizing speed, but more times then not you will get the best of both worlds on grass. Grass Turf you ALWAYS have the risk of injury that is greater and a greater chance of higher reaggravation. I have played on a grass turf surface in high school and they're not always kind to you if you're playing on an injury(and odds are, it;s not going to be any different the higher level you play). Grass was always friendly on me when I tried to play through an injury. Plus, the consistency argument is invalid. I have noticed no true inconsistency to my game unless I was hurt where I noticed I was somewhat slower on turf, but noticed no significant change on grass.

zulater
11-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Keep in mind that it's NOT that grass that has been causing any of the injuries or many of the problems. You may say stuff such as optimizing speed, but more times then not you will get the best of both worlds on grass. Grass Turf you ALWAYS have the risk of injury that is greater and a greater chance of higher reaggravation. I have played on a grass turf surface in high school and they're not always kind to you if you're playing on an injury(and odds are, it;s not going to be any different the higher level you play). Grass was always friendly on me when I tried to play through an injury. Plus, the consistency argument is invalid. I have noticed no true inconsistency to my game unless I was hurt where I noticed I was somewhat slower on turf, but noticed no significant change on grass.

No one's disputing that a well maintained grass field isn't the best way to go. But with the Panthers and Steelers both using the field, combined with Pittsburgh weather it just doesn't seem to work.

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2010, 07:33 PM
No one's disputing that a well maintained grass field isn't the best way to go. But with the Panthers and Steelers both using the field, combined with Pittsburgh weather it just doesn't seem to work.

Thing is, the grounds crew probably know some things better then we do. I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Texasteel
11-26-2010, 09:57 AM
We need to give them the benefit of the doubt before tearing their heads off and calling Goodell Hitler. Again.

Don't know when I called him Hitler, but I do dislike him intensely. You give him all the benefit of the doubt you want, he has used up all of mine.

Count Steeler
12-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Watched some of the Tampa Bay/Atlanta game today and the Tampa Bay turf was pretty chewed up. I would say it looked worse than Heinz did recently.

salamander
12-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Watched some of the Tampa Bay/Atlanta game today and the Tampa Bay turf was pretty chewed up. I would say it looked worse than Heinz did recently.

But it's not the Steelers' field so nothing will be done about it. :dizzy: