PDA

View Full Version : Gotta give props where it's due.

Edman
11-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Bruce Arians called a solid offensive game today. Not once have I seen a lame bubble screen.

Burghfan58
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
And they actually ran a regular successful screen on the last TD.

kmsteelerwr15
11-21-2010, 03:22 PM
I thought he called a great game today as well and the players executed better too.

ALLD
11-21-2010, 03:47 PM
The game plan was good even though the players did not execute at times. When are we going to throw it to Wallace on successive downs in order to open up the rest of the O?

tube517
11-21-2010, 03:48 PM
That first TD drive set the tone. Props to Arians.

Wallace108
11-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Yep. Great job today by Arians. I loved the game plan and the calls. :tt02:
And the same with LeBeau and the defense. All around great job today by the coaches.

Polamalu Princess
11-21-2010, 04:03 PM
It is nice to be able to say "Good job Arians."

steelpride12
11-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes I loved the play calling today and not much running up the middle on first down. Good job all together and Arians proved today he can mix it up and give us strong matchups!

zulater
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
I want to see two good games in a row before saying anything that I'll be looking to take back later. :grin:

Texasteel
11-21-2010, 06:19 PM
I want to see two good games in a row before saying anything that I'll be looking to take back later. :grin:

You can't even give him an ataboy for one game?

zulater
11-21-2010, 06:30 PM
You can't even give him an ataboy for one game?

I tried to, but it got stuck on the way out! :yuck2:

pepsyman1
11-21-2010, 06:33 PM
I'll give Bruce an "attaboy" for this one. There are still things I see that really annoy me, usually when he tries to have us run out of those different bunch formations, but he made some good adjustments to what our previous problems were. We had some quicker developing pass plays this week and Ben pulled the trigger on them and hit the receivers in rhythm. At the end of the game on that last drive we even saw Redman run effectively out of an I formation a couple of times...gave me a warm fuzzy inside...lol

Psycho Ward 86
11-21-2010, 06:48 PM
I dont know why people find it so necessary to praise or scorn Bruce Arians based on our offensive performance. You really, really, dont have to, and you really, really, shouldnt. Play calling is really near the bottom of the pyramid of importance in football. Just execute damnit. Arians is lucky he has so much talent to make himself look better than he really is. The Steelers are STILL one of THE most underachieving offenses in the NFL, and Arians is STILL not efficient. Our redzone offense and 3rd down conversion % on the season is still pitiful. This is only one game fellas, and the two starting D-linemen were out for half the game, and the Raider's best defensive player was out for the entire game.

I guess people don't mind dealing with reoccurring problems until they....reoccur perhaps? BA doesnt get shit for props from me until he proves that this is what a Bruce Arians-Offense can do on a regular basis.

Texasteel
11-21-2010, 08:04 PM
I tried to, but it got stuck on the way out! :yuck2:

That one comment speaks volumes.

fansince'76
11-21-2010, 08:09 PM
This is only one game fellas, and the two starting D-linemen were out for half the game....

And our OL, which is no great shakes to begin with, has been a M.A.S.H. unit all season. It's a wash.

Butch
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
When Ben plays Great the offense will roll. Ben scrambled twice for some major gains and one Touchdown. I blame the lack of a run game on the MASH unit oline and that in itself limits a lot of what B.A. can do. The main thing I did not see was 3 bubble screens to Hines when they were expecting it so I'll give him credit for that. Didn't like the timing of the trick play or the execution of it either so he loses points on that one.

Steeldude
11-21-2010, 08:31 PM
what? arians used shorter and/or sharper passing routes and lebeau rushed more than the 3 players and the steelers won? say it isn't so

or this another case of the steelers facing a team with an average to below QB? that being said, i think if the steelers blitzed like this against the patriots it would have been a better game.

zulater
11-21-2010, 08:36 PM
That one comment speaks volumes.

It was a joke. Just not a good one. :chuckle:

My serious opinion is that I want to see a coherent looking offense more than once in a month before I go overboard in my praise for BA.
:coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
As an official Bruce hater..........clap clap clap....attaboy Bruce attaboy

JayC
11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
i give props to the secondary. they hit hard and looked motivated. but i'm not going to give too high praise of them. It's Jason Campbell. When they shut down flacco, marsha, rivers, manning, other top afc qbs then i'd give them major props. still, nice job after the performance a week ago.

ba was decent as well, we didn't feel as predictable as usual. but still, why does he insist on calling a reverse every single game?? it worked this time because flozell held his man but that was like the first time this year and probably won't work again.

Craic
11-21-2010, 10:05 PM
I think BA and Ben both went back to the playbook a little humbled. Ben said, "Hey, I'll start running the plays sent in and get the ball out quicker instead of looking for the big play every play." BA said, "Thanks, and I will actually start calling some passes on first down and some runs on second downs."

I give em both props for a well called game. Ben seemed to resort to "playground football" at just the right times, and played within the system the other times. BA seemed to have the right plays.

NCSteeler
11-21-2010, 11:26 PM
And our OL, which is no great shakes to begin with, has been a M.A.S.H. unit all season. It's a wash.

Haven't you heard FS, it's only the great Peyton that is patching his team together with bubblegum.

Galax Steeler
11-22-2010, 03:31 AM
I'll give him some props for a good game.

Raleigh Steel
11-22-2010, 03:56 AM
nobody is a bigger basher of BA (say that 5 times real fast) than i am. but i enjoyed the way the offense looked today. i asked these questions during the game:

was that a slant pass i just saw?
was that a screen pass?
was that a quick pass?
did they just use a lead blocker on that successful run?
did they remember that we are allowed to throw to heath miller?

but the bigger questions are, why don't we see that every game, and will we see it again?

but for today...good job brucie.

oh, and for the lebeau complaining as well....that was steelers defense we saw today. lots of pressure, and the corners played tight coverage. did anybody notice how scared darren mcfadden was? if it wasn't for the countless BS penalties, this game would have been even more lopsided.

well done by everybody...the entire organization gets a standing O. keep this going boys!

zulater
11-22-2010, 05:50 AM
By all accounts, or at least statistically the Raiders have a better defense than the Patriots. Even without Nnamdi Asomugha across the board the Raiders have better personell than the Patriots have defensively. Yet somehow we put together an effective game plan against the Raiders but completely shit the bed against the 29th ranked defense of the Patriots?! And the Patriots knew going into that game that they owned our offense, that's why they deffered the kick-off in the first half, putting our offense on the field! :frusty:

Sorry, I actually am enjoying yesterday's win, but I still can't get all warm and gooey about the offense just yet when I know they squandered so much just a week earliar.

Texasteel
11-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Nothing says that the defense won't fall flat on their face again as well, but I will give them a pat on the back as well as the offense for a very good game, and hope to see more of the same next week.

It's time for a little Buffalo Hunt.

HometownGal
11-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Nothing says that the defense won't fall flat on their face again as well, but I will give them a pat on the back as well as the offense for a very good game, and hope to see more of the same next week.

BINGO. :thumbsup: I'm still a bit suspect about the defense, but I will give them huge kudos for what I feel was their best game of the season thus far. The O gave them a big lead and they fiercely protected it. :applaudit: :drink:

zulater
11-22-2010, 03:28 PM

It's time for a little Buffalo Hunt.

The defense "fell flat" once all year, that's how they came to be the number one scoring defense in the NFL for the season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2010, 04:49 PM
This thread is a chuckle.

Last week Tom Brady is on fire and the Steelers Offense has to throw the ball around to keep up and abandon the run- then most here are on Arians for not calling a good game. The Steelers fail to get to the opposing QB at all.

This week, its Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski getting harrassed, sacked and going 3 and out-suddenly the masses on this board think its all because of the OC.

Yes, double reverses, throwbacks from Randle El, short crossing patterns that turn into long TD runs, happen against bad teams. Yet that kind of stuff doesnt work against the Patriots and Ravens. That is a win against a team they should win......I'll be more impressed when we can beat the teams we are not supposed to win against.

fansince'76
11-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Yes, double reverses, throwbacks from Randle El, short crossing patterns that turn into long TD runs, happen against bad teams. Yet that kind of stuff doesnt work against the Patriots and Ravens. That is a win against a team they should win......I'll be more impressed when we can beat the teams we are not supposed to win against.

Although I didn't share the sentiment, more than a couple people had us losing to the Raiders and declared our season to essentially be over and a repeat of '09 after the Pats game. However, I agree to a point - the Raiders are a team we should have beaten soundly and we did. No reason to get too up about it. To paraphrase John Wooden, keep your head at the peaks, and the valleys will be a lot more tolerable.

Texasteel
11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
The defense "fell flat" once all year, that's how they came to be the number one scoring defense in the NFL for the season.

In the last 15 minutes of the last 3 games they have given up 14, 14, and 16 points. A good defense still has to play 4 qu. I'm not starting a "Whats wrong with" thread, just saying yes they can fall flat and have.

tube517
11-22-2010, 05:20 PM
I agree with you but I think people are just happy that the Steelers played a complete game, something that they are more than capable of, but seldom seem to do. Also, a lot of people are just paranoid after the collapse of last season. The thing is, this is the new NFL where no lead is safe. The teams with a better record than us cannot even hold a lead or struggle against teams with poor records. A win is a win nowadays and the great start (without Ben) is proving more vital to us. I still have hope that they can make the dance.

Although I didn't share the sentiment, more than a couple people had us losing to the Raiders and declared our season to essentially be over and a repeat of '09 after the Pats game. However, I agree to a point - the Raiders are a team we should have beaten soundly and we did. No reason to get too up about it. To paraphrase John Wooden, keep your head at the peaks, and the valleys will be a lot more tolerable.

zulater
11-22-2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with you but I think people are just happy that the Steelers played a complete game, something that they are more than capable of, but seldom seem to do. Also, a lot of people are just paranoid after the collapse of last season. The thing is, this is the new NFL where no lead is safe. The teams with a better record than us cannot even hold a lead or struggle against teams with poor records. A win is a win nowadays and the great start (without Ben) is proving more vital to us. I still have hope that they can make the dance.

You make a great point, look at the Jets, they nearly blew a big lead in the 4th quarter yesterday, so did the Patriots, the fact is the way the rules are slanted it's hard for any team to close out a game if their offense isn't doing their part by continuing to score.

SMR
11-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Good job Arians. BUT KEEP IT UP!!!!!!!!!! If it works, don't stop it. Seriously.

Kudos B.A. :yup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-22-2010, 09:00 PM

As much as I love Wooden, I prefer to "not get too high after a win, nor too low after a loss"

Beating a team led by the Cable guy, Jason Campbell and receivers like .............. whoever they have...isnt that impressive. Not losing to the Bills will be another good week on the way to a showdown with the Ravens. I honestly think with the injuries we have, we are the 2nd best team in the AFC north.

Steeldude
11-23-2010, 12:14 AM
Beating a team led by the Cable guy, Jason Campbell and receivers like .............. whoever they have...isnt that impressive.

i agree. it seems the steelers can beat teams without a good QB. i want to see some dominance against a team with a good QB.