PDA

View Full Version : Are more points better for the game of football?

stillers4me
11-21-2010, 10:30 AM
NFL gets offensive

Published: Nov. 21, 2010 at 11:09 a.m.
04:57 – NFL offenses are having a historic season, but is more points better for the game of football? The GameDay Morning crew debates.
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-gameday/09000d5d81c45c21/NFL-gets-offensive

ALLD
11-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Theorhetically, more points will gain new viewers due to the objectivity of statistics. However, it is a fact that it will shrink the audience because I turned off the Pats game last week after the first quarter. I also forgot about treating myself to a new Steelers shirt because the NFL has targeted the way the team plays a physical game and ironically does not hold other teams who play the Steelers, to the same standard. It is so obvious that other teams are allowed open season while the Steelers have to walk on eggshells with whomever they play.

Yes, the NFL has reduced the dominance of the Steelers in about a month with a rule change (fact) when the team appeared to literally assault the opposition on the field in the first few weeks. I am pretty disgusted and have flipped my opinion of the CBA by siding now with the players because the owners as a group, cannot be trusted. I would trust the Rooney's, but do not trust the group in charge of this rule change. Notice how the Steelers loaded up on all the LB talent in the draft only to have a rule changed during the season after a certain group found they could not compete on the field under those circumstances. The commissioner can go F himself with a plunger.

LLT
11-21-2010, 10:40 AM
I talked about this yesterday in a different thread. The casual fan and commissioner Goodell (is that reduntant?) think that a shootout is the height of football excitement.

The new rules and the arbitrary enforcement of older rules are making our league a pass-happy...high point..offense oriented game.

The true fan loves every aspect of the game...offense..defense...and special teams. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of a game in which a defense can shut the other team down. If one understands the nuances of the game, then the subtle shift in defensive lines...the LBer's falling back into coverage to allow CB's to blitz...the difference in the defense on obvious passing downs....all the little things...are fun to watch.

This change in the game might excite a few new fans....but me and the other football purists...give us three yards and a cloud of dust over NFL version 2.0 anyday.

Count Steeler
11-21-2010, 10:43 AM
In the present environment and how the extra points are being achieved, it is not better for the game. When is it a good thing to see defenders letting up on a play because they are worried about getting fines? I'm not talking about removing illegal hits, but good aggressive physical contact. By putting defenses on the defensive, the game is getting ridiculous to watch. It is like an NBA defender moving out of the lane because Lebron has shown his intention to go to the bucket and slam one home. That move would make the highlight reel for all the wrong reasons.

Count Steeler
11-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Exactly how popular is the Pro Bowl? Does anyone watch it? Case closed. You can't remove or handcuff defenses to the point they are ineffective. Fans will not watch.

Devilsdancefloor
11-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I talked about this yesterday in a different thread. The casual fan and commissioner Goodell (is that reduntant?) think that a shootout is the height of football excitement.

The new rules and the arbitrary enforcement of older rules are making our league a pass-happy...high point..offense oriented game.

The true fan loves every aspect of the game...offense..defense...and special teams. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of a game in which a defense can shut the other team down. If one understands the nuances of the game, then the subtle shift in defensive lines...the LBer's falling back into coverage to allow CB's to blitz...the difference in the defense on obvious passing downs....all the little things...are fun to watch.

This change in the game might excite a few new fans....but me and the other football purists...give us three yards and a cloud of dust over NFL version 2.0 anyday.

ive always told my boys that most of the time a 5 yard run can be prettier than a 50 yard bomb. I think before to long they will have arena league rules that is what this is turning inito

VTsteel
11-21-2010, 10:57 AM
I get a great deal of enjoyment out of a game in which a defense can shut the other team down.

Me too!

I would much rather see smash-mouth defensive victories than any high scoring game - Fantasy football be damned - Taking the defense out of the game is a tragedy.

stillers4me
11-21-2010, 11:01 AM
Me too!

I would much rather see smash-mouth defensive victories than any high scoring game - Fantasy football be damned - Taking the defense out of the game is a tragedy.

I found the Philly/Washingtn game to be boyinh anf the season the Pats* went undefeated a yawner. By the time Goodell is done, there will be 2 or maybe 3 teams with that dominate each and every year and the rest will be just wasting their time.

Texasteel
11-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Just like Nascar, they are changing the game to make it more appalling to the so called jet set crowd. It is not working out so well for Nascar and I think the same may happen to football if they don't wake up and get rid of that slug of a commissioner. I don't care if he has just sign a new 5 year deal.

fansince'76
11-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Just like Nascar, they are changing the game to make it more appalling to the so called jet set crowd. It is not working out so well for Nascar and I think the same may happen to football if they don't wake up and get rid of that slug of a commissioner. I don't care if he has just sign a new 5 year deal.

When the owners begin to lose money hand over fist, he'll be history.

SteelerFanInStl
11-21-2010, 11:37 AM
I absolutely hate what's happening to the NFL. Teams are just passing the ball up and down the field and there's nothing there that excites me. I want to see good defense and a running game. Both are pretty much absent now.

LLT
11-21-2010, 11:43 AM
I found the Philly/Washingtn game to be boyinh anf the season the Pats* went undefeated a yawner.

Hands up for all who think that Sue has been drinking!!!

:wave:

fansince'76
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
I absolutely hate what's happening to the NFL. Teams are just passing the ball up and down the field and there's nothing there that excites me. I want to see good defense and a running game. Both are pretty much absent now.

I agree. Outside of Steelers games, I haven't been watching. Used to be I'd watch all the games I could. Not the case anymore. I'm simply not interested in no-defense candyassed Arena football.

TroysBarber
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Are more points better for the game of football?

Only when it's the Steelers scoring more points. :)

Psycho Ward 86
11-21-2010, 03:57 PM
NO! It takes the beauty away from the other phase of football.

tube517
11-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Ditto. I could really care less about other games, I just watch the scoreboard on the internet for games that may affect us (Ravens games, etc)

I agree. Outside of Steelers games, I haven't been watching. Used to be I'd watch all the games I could. Not the case anymore. I'm simply not interested in no-defense candyassed Arena football.