PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben's return hasn't boosted Steelers as expected

SteelerEmpire
11-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Maybe we had it all wrong about the Pittsburgh Steelers.

At one point, they looked to be in the best position of any team in the NFL. They roared to 3-1 while their starting quarterback was serving a suspension. It only made sense to assume they would get dramatically better from there, right?

Not quite.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3315c/article/big-bens-return-hasnt-boosted-steelers-as-expected?module=HP_cp2

BPS3akaWirels3
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
It doesn't take perfection to win a SB... Nuff said.. If we lose Sunday then maybe I'll join the bitch wagon but until then I'm optimistic.

SteelerSal
11-19-2010, 11:39 AM
It doesn't take perfection to win a SB... Nuff said.. If we lose Sunday then maybe I'll join the bitch wagon but until then I'm optimistic.

Good post.

Edman
11-19-2010, 11:47 AM
Keep Ben in the pocket, bring heavy blitzes, and press the recievers.

There. Steelers Offense corralled. The Raiders would be stupid to not try that strategy Sunday. It's not like Ben and Arians will adjust to it.

tube517
11-19-2010, 11:50 AM
We don't need anybody on the bandwagon, if we're doing good or bad. This team plays better with a chip on their shoulder. I wouldn't count them out. #7 will have something to say about that. Any doubters should just quit whining. I'm over the crying over the Pats* game. This is the greatest franchise in sports and I'd rather be here in contention than being gloomy. I'm guilty of being pessimistic as anyone else but I'm tired of wasting energy on it. Eff NFL Network, NFL.com, ESPN and any other of the sports media. Beat the damn Raiders and I hope Jason Campbell eats dirt like he did in 2008 w/the Redskins.

Here we go Steelers, Here we go!
:tt03::tt03::tt03:

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
But the Steelers' troubles, according to Collinsworth and other analysts who have watched the team closely, don't end with the injuries. They have some fundamental problems, too. The most prominent: the structure of their offense.

Hmmmm ... the hell they say. Where have I heard this before? :scratchchin:
Oh yea ... from all of the Arians Haters. :heh:

BPS3akaWirels3
11-19-2010, 12:01 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPLuwJQS6Yd2GIymZPt66Rv8iMjYd0P 5C6E9y4P2iOjSx45Msqqw

X-Terminator
11-19-2010, 12:02 PM
It might be time to just open up the offense and turn Ben loose. What have they got to lose at this point? Running more often (like so many people cried for during and after last season) isn't working, so put the ball in Ben's hands and see what happens.

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Running more often (like so many people cried for during and after last season) isn't working, so put the ball in Ben's hands and see what happens.

As was clarified in the offseason ... it's not necessarily about running more often, but running more effectively. Simply having Ben throw more isn't going to result in more points. It's going to result in more sacks.

steelpride12
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
As was clarified in the offseason ... it's not necessarily about running more often, but running more effectively. Simply having Ben throw more isn't going to result in more points. It's going to result in more sacks.
Im sick of how we run the ball. First off it's the same play every first down. A run up the middle which always results in a loss or no gain forcing the offense to pass on the next two downs. Sorry, but that is not smart play calling and will never jump start an offense of run game.

X-Terminator
11-19-2010, 12:12 PM

Valid points, but if they're not going to show anything other than a run up the middle, then what's the point? May as well throw more often. Do they actually have a toss or a sweep in the playbook? I don't think I've seen one all season.

steelpride12
11-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Valid points, but if they're not going to show anything other than a run up the middle, then what's the point? May as well throw more often. Do they actually have a toss or a sweep in the playbook? I don't think I've seen one all season.
Nope just a single back formation heavy set obvious run up the middle is all I ever see.

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Exactly, X-T! The problem is the structure of the offense. People concern themselves way too much with looking at the percentage of runs vs. passes. It's not about how many times you run or how many times you pass ... it's about WHEN you run, and WHEN you pass, and which play you call in a particular situation. And not being so predictable. This is precisely why many of us have been so tough on BA over the years. The man doesn't seem to have any concept of situational play calling.

steelpride12
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Exactly, X-T! The problem is the structure of the offense. People concern themselves way too much with looking at the percentage of runs vs. passes. It's not about how many times you run or how many times you pass ... it's about WHEN you run, and WHEN you pass, and which play you call in a particular situation. And not being so predictable. This is precisely why many of us have been so tough on BA over the years. The man doesn't seem to have any concept of situational play calling.
To true! It seems to be too obvious to predict our offense when every first down they line up, strong formation with 2 TE's and a single back it's going to be a run up the middle. When the offense does this all game unsuccessfully they take their focus away from the run and from there is oh too predictable.

X-Terminator
11-19-2010, 12:31 PM

I have complained numerous times over the years about his situational play calling, if anyone would have taken the time to read my posts. :wink02: Contrary to popular opinion, I actually don't excuse everything BA does with the offense. I just refuse to blame him for everything that goes wrong.

tube517
11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Arians is causing the database errors on this board but that is a whole other issue.

I have complained numerous times over the years about his situational play calling, if anyone would have taken the time to read my posts. :wink02: Contrary to popular opinion, I actually don't excuse everything BA does with the offense. I just refuse to blame him for everything that goes wrong.

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 12:41 PM
From the same article:

The Steelers' coaches need to take a hard look at what has happened in recent games and devise strategy that gives opposing defenses something to think about other than Roethlisberger's determination to extend plays.

"If I were coaching the Steelers, I would put together a package of plays where Ben had to get the ball out immediately," Collinsworth said. "I want to establish in the defense's mind that Ben's not going to hold it on every pass play, which is kind of what he's doing right now. I don't say that that's wrong, but in this league, you can't do anything all the time. It's like throwing fastballs to all hitters. I don't care how good your fastball is, you're going to get toasted on that."
Now, instead of looking at recent games and devising a new offensive strategy, what are the odds that we're going to see the same exact strategy Sunday?

"They've got to develop the offense and its flexibility and not be overanxious to be explosive at the expense of being ball-control," Wilcots said. "I'm not sure they're in sync with being with what I call a good, complementary offense. They think the defense is so good that they can just throw the ball 40 times a game, maybe get a pick and a turnover … 'Oh, our defense will save us.'
:amen:

Craic
11-19-2010, 01:10 PM

Bingo.

Furthermore, this a lot of things I have WANTED to post concerning BA... but haven't, because it would just cause a new firestorm of BA hate.

I also have to wonder, how much of this is Ben. After all, when Ben wasn't playing, our offense seemed to be doing well the last two weeks. Then, as soon as Ben comes back, it doesn't. Why? is it the playcalling, or is it Ben changing plays? Or is it Ben not throwing to the intended receiver as the play called for... instead forcing more of a playground type game. To that, I turn to Smokeabongo Holmes comment about how different it is being with the Jets... the offense wasn't like playground football.

Without Ben, we saw good plays. NO ONE had a problem with BA. With Ben, people have a problem with BA. Why? what are we missing?

Look, I am not saying that Ben is a bad QB, or that Ben is messing things up. I am not saying the same thing about BA. Rather, there are questions that should start being asked... and NOT in a "You Suck" manner.

O'Malley
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM

Or a bootleg at the goal line. Why does it have to be a controversy if we made it in the endzone? Anything besides the 6 plays we run. I might be wrong but it's my opinion, Bruce is a problem but not the whole problem. But Ben likes Bruce. So it's a catch 22. Running to the right has been a strong suit. Why shy away from it? I remember when the other team would know what we were going to do, hell everybody knew. But it still worked. It's not about being predictable, it's about excecution. If you excecute the play it will be successful. Everybody used to know the bus was coming and he was succsessful. Same with Franco. Or any other back. It is on the line. The game is won in the trenches. We are not controlling the line of scrimmage on either side of the ball!

steel striker
11-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Conserding that the oline is more like a mash unit and, the defense did not show up for the pats game. Let's not blame Ben for everything plus several dropped passes lack including key drops like two in the endzone last week. Then the fumble by one of my favorite players against the saints. It is not time to panic. Lets see what happens after this game against the raiders.

steeldawg
11-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Bingo.

Furthermore, this a lot of things I have WANTED to post concerning BA... but haven't, because it would just cause a new firestorm of BA hate.

I also have to wonder, how much of this is Ben. After all, when Ben wasn't playing, our offense seemed to be doing well the last two weeks. Then, as soon as Ben comes back, it doesn't. Why? is it the playcalling, or is it Ben changing plays? Or is it Ben not throwing to the intended receiver as the play called for... instead forcing more of a playground type game. To that, I turn to Smokeabongo Holmes comment about how different it is being with the Jets... the offense wasn't like playground football.

Without Ben, we saw good plays. NO ONE had a problem with BA. With Ben, people have a problem with BA. Why? what are we missing?

Look, I am not saying that Ben is a bad QB, or that Ben is messing things up. I am not saying the same thing about BA. Rather, there are questions that should start being asked... and NOT in a "You Suck" manner.

What good plays did we see without ben??? lets face it, if we didnt have good special teams play and good D we would not have won two of 3 we did win. Our offense did nothing without ben. Ben is not our problem, injuries to our O and D lines have been huge and everyone seems to be ignoring that.

Steeldude
11-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Keep Ben in the pocket, bring heavy blitzes, and press the recievers.

There. Steelers Offense corralled. The Raiders would be stupid to not try that strategy Sunday. It's not like Ben and Arians will adjust to it.

exactly.

where is the QB's coach? BR is not that great in the pocket and IMO it's because he can't read the plays/routes fast enough. obviously there are times when the porous O-line allows everyone through, but even when given protection he seems to be slow. this is why i think he does so many pump fakes. he is playing school yard football. or maybe the steelers have their WRs running too long of routes.

when you look at elite QBs they see the plays/routes quickly and get the ball out. brees, manning, brady, elway, montana, marino etc...

now some of this may be due to arians not knowing how to combat a blitz with the appropriate plays. at other times the WRs need to recognize blitzes.

something is obviously wrong. this has been happening for a few years now. personally, IMO, i think arians is lost as an OC. i don't think he has a clue on how to adapt. when i read his quote in the off-season about he has never game planned/practiced against a 3-4 defense, i was not shocked.

SteelerFanInStl
11-20-2010, 09:17 AM
What good plays did we see without ben??? lets face it, if we didnt have good special teams play and good D we would not have won two of 3 we did win. Our offense did nothing without ben. Ben is not our problem, injuries to our O and D lines have been huge and everyone seems to be ignoring that.

Agreed. We won those early games because our defense played much better. As most of us here knew, our defense had to carry us and they did.

As others have said, we need to mix it up more. Our offense is so predictable that teams can game plan weeks in advance and no adjustments seem to happen during the game. Our defense used to be known for being very unpredictable and that's why teams had difficulties against us. Now it seems like they've also become predictable.

Edman
11-20-2010, 06:24 PM
People are acting like our Offense was the bees knees before Ben. Our Offense was pretty subpar without Ben.

But when Ben came back, our offense returned all right. Last years offense returned. Our horribly inconsistent offense. We once again come out slow, sloppy and unable to handle blitzes. Sacks piled up, recievers aren't getting open, routes are slow to develop.

That's the key word here. Slow. We run at such a slow tempo on offense. How many times have we seen Ben come out of the huddle and stare at his wrist like he has no idea what's going on? How about the many times we take forever to snap the ball and wait until the play clock hits 1 until we snap it? No wonder defenses get great jumps and jailbreaks on the O-Line. Even when snapping the ball we're predictable.

Count Steeler
11-20-2010, 06:26 PM
And yet we see a vast improvement when Ben runs the no huddle. Almost guaranteed to score when he ups the tempo. Frustrating.

Craic
11-20-2010, 09:37 PM
I actually had a longer reply, then lost it :doh:

However, there were a total of 7 good drives in the last two games before Ben came back. None of which include the wallace-bomber plays. So, the question is, why hasn't that continued with Ben? Could it be because BA has complete transformed in just a few weeks... or could it be that Ben has at least SOMETHING to do with it?

I will give you the Oline.. and with these injuries, it is even worse. However, we had injuries in those games as well. So no, I don't give Ben a pass. I think he has to bare some of this on his shoulders. I love his penchant for playground football in the final moments. However, I ALSO want him to be able to sustain drives with quick, timed throws, instead of waiting for that perfect throw further down field. Is he changing plays at the lOS? If so, why?

I don't give BA a pass either. I could really careless whether he stays or goes at this point. Matter of fact, I would actually be rather interested in what another OC could do with the talent we have. However, I just don't buy that its all BA's fault, or that Ben is faultless in our current situation. I also absolutely agree with you that our Oline needs to be fixed. We need to get a bit lighter and quicker. We are no longer a "3 yards and a cloud of mediocrity" run team.

Craic
11-20-2010, 09:39 PM
People are acting like our Offense was the bees knees before Ben. Our Offense was pretty subpar without Ben.

But when Ben came back, our offense returned all right. Last years offense returned. Our horribly inconsistent offense. We once again come out slow, sloppy and unable to handle blitzes. Sacks piled up, recievers aren't getting open, routes are slow to develop.

That's the key word here. Slow. We run at such a slow tempo on offense. How many times have we seen Ben come out of the huddle and stare at his wrist like he has no idea what's going on? How about the many times we take forever to snap the ball and wait until the play clock hits 1 until we snap it? No wonder defenses get great jumps and jailbreaks on the O-Line. Even when snapping the ball we're predictable.

But I thought the reason we lost all those games last year is because the offense couldn't take any time off the clock :huh: (not directed at you Edman... just using your post as a springboard :thumbsup:)

Psycho Ward 86
11-20-2010, 10:45 PM
And yet we see a vast improvement when Ben runs the no huddle. Almost guaranteed to score when he ups the tempo. Frustrating.

Or throw a pick in the most important of moments (See ----> Saints, Patriots games) Remember that too, although i definitely tend to agree with you

Wallace108
11-20-2010, 11:25 PM
But I thought the reason we lost all those games last year is because the offense couldn't take any time off the clock :huh: (not directed at you Edman... just using your post as a springboard :thumbsup:)

Sure, you can run the play clock down, but you're not going to take much off the game clock when you go 3 and out. :noidea: