PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' veteran leaders Roethlisberger, Ward take charge

stillers4me
11-18-2010, 05:50 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, November 18, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger called Hines Ward on Tuesday to see how the concussed wide receiver was doing.

The Steelers' offense, which ranks 24th in the NFL and has struggled inside the red zone, may start feeling better as a result of their conversation.

"He actually brought up, 'Listen, lead us, show us how to do this,'" Roethlisberger said. "I said, 'Well, listen, it's us. Let's do this together. I need you as much as you need me, and we all need this together.' It was a good talk between us."

The joint decision to reassert themselves as the leaders of the offense — the two served as offensive co-captains in 2008-09 — comes at a critical juncture for the Steelers..........

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_709849.html

smokin3000gt
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I'm glad they had that talk and all but I don't think a receiver should have to tell our 6 yr veteran 100 million dollar franchise QB to lead the team halfway through the season. I expect BR to do that without having to be told. The fact that HW had to bring it up tells me that there is some serious lack of leadership in the locker room.

Dino 6 Rings
11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I'd like to see a yelling by Troy on the sidelines at some of the D-Backs, maybe even at the Linebackers and D-line. I'd like to see our Defense stop worrying about fines and just go out and smash in some skulls like they were earlier in the season. Last couple games we look timid. Ef it. Go out there, do your fcking jobs and knock some teeth out.

I'd like to see a little more from the Defense emotionally, especially the Defensive Leaders. Harrison, Polamalu, Farrior, Hampton. Get in some people's grills, each other's grills and get out there and get after it.

SteelMember
11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm glad they had that talk and all but I don't think a receiver should have to tell our 6 yr veteran 100 million dollar franchise QB to lead the team halfway through the season. I expect BR to do that without having to be told. The fact that HW had to bring it up tells me that there is some serious lack of leadership in the locker room.

It was said, and I agree, that Ben's off field issues probably lost some people in the locker room... That's why he wants/needs Ward to have his back if need be.

If guys don't think your a "leader", being the $100 million dollar QB has little to do with it.

All I can say is it's gonna take more than a vocal Larry Foote to get these guys going. And while I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that pro athletes need a lot of screaming to get them motivated, they have looked terribly flat. Anything might help at this point.

GodfatherofSoul
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Damn, some of you guys talk like we're 2-7. We're 6 and 3 and had a bad game!

tube517
11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Exactly. I think Ben is trying not to be too cocky but he needs someone to have his back. And after last year when Ben had the concussion, there was probably some left over friction. Good for them.

It was said, and I agree, that Ben's off field issues probably lost some people in the locker room... That's why he wants/needs Ward to have his back if need be.

If guys don't think your a "leader", being the $100 million dollar QB has little to do with it.

All I can say is it's gonna take more than a vocal Larry Foote to get these guys going. And while I don't necessarily agree with the sentiment that pro athletes need a lot of screaming to get them motivated, they have looked terribly flat. Anything might help at this point.

siss
11-18-2010, 02:31 PM
I could not disagree with more.
Ben was told by the NFL, the steelers and his team mates that what he was doing wasn't okay. That he wasn't above the team and they wanted him to be just one of guys. So thats what Ben did. The results being that there is no veteran leader ship in that locker room. So yea, Hines did need to give Ben permission to take charge. I don't know that he will pull a Tom Brady and throw a tantrum like he did. But I am looking to see how Ben plays and leads the team. And how he takes that role of leader and vocal leader.

Count Steeler
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
In the position that Ben is in, he has to take the leadership role in the locker room. Have a meeting, clear the air and go out and kick some butt.

SMR
11-18-2010, 03:50 PM

Thank you!!

smokin3000gt
11-18-2010, 04:30 PM

A bad game is an understatement. That game was nothing short of an embarrassment. Not only did we get walked all over in the first half but we didn't make any adjustments in the locker room and came back out in the 2nd half with the same game plan we've played against them every time we play them. It wasn't until we had about 8 or 9 minutes left in the 4th QTR that we stopped looking like the browns out there.

I could not disagree with more.
Ben was told by the NFL, the steelers and his team mates that what he was doing wasn't okay. That he wasn't above the team and they wanted him to be just one of guys. So thats what Ben did. The results being that there is no veteran leader ship in that locker room. So yea, Hines did need to give Ben permission to take charge. I don't know that he will pull a Tom Brady and throw a tantrum like he did. But I am looking to see how Ben plays and leads the team. And how he takes that role of leader and vocal leader.

I very highly doubt that the NFL, the Rooney's or anybody else said ''Let go of the reins.'' They simply said ''You're not in college anymore! You need to focus on your job, not girls and booze!" Taking control of that team is his job.

I can understand him feeling like he's on thin ice and not wanting to stomp on already sore toes but a good leader knows when to be one of the guys and when to take charge and lead the team. I don't think there was one player on the field that would have minded a foot in their ass Sunday night.

And since I'm already on the soapbox... (not related to your post siss)

Tomlin is as much to blame if not more so for the lack of (whatever you want to call it here). Ben's role is to lead the team in tough situations and Tomlin's role is to make sure he gets that and he does it. If there is still no spark then HE needs to rattle the cage and light the fire. I want to see EMOTION on this team. If there is no emotion then that means there is no desire.

To be honest, I would like to see a little of this
http://www.thegoodpoint.com/football/images/090107billcowher.jpg and http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J9lkbTosp9I/SX7EASIuc6I/AAAAAAAAAIo/rAAafTPFxSQ/s320/61569_BillCowher-.JPG every once in a while from Tomlin.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_J9lkbTosp9I/SX7EASIuc6I/AAAAAAAAAIo/rAAafTPFxSQ/s1600-h/61569_BillCowher-.JPG