PDA

View Full Version : where's the fine?

Buckinnuts
11-16-2010, 06:21 PM
for the hit on ward! if that was harrison or another steeler the fine would of been imposed 5 minutes after the game. what gives He was defensless receiver on the way to the ground wrapped up by another player.

tube517
11-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Don't worry, Harrison will get fined for the hit on Ward.

SteelerSal
11-16-2010, 06:30 PM
No, no, no...you miss understand the how the" fines are passed out". It must be a Steeler player that makes a clean, textbook, unpenalized.....I mean illegal, dirty hit in order for a rediculous...I mean well deserved fine to be passed out.
Remember, these new rules are suppose to be put in place for the safety of the players NOT wearing the Black and Gold.

salamander
11-16-2010, 06:34 PM
There won't be a fine because the hit was ON a Steeler. That's how Der Kommish wants it.

Chidi29
11-16-2010, 06:51 PM
There could still be a fine. They get handed out as late as Friday.

Count Steeler
11-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I would be impressed if there actually is a fine. But I suspect there won't be, adding to the idiocy that is the Commish.

Chidi29
11-16-2010, 07:03 PM
I would be impressed if there actually is a fine. But I suspect there won't be, adding to the idiocy that is the Commish.

It's not like Patriots haven't been fined before. Two were fined last week and of course, Merriweather got slapped with 50K a few weeks ago.

Count Steeler
11-16-2010, 07:06 PM
It's not like Patriots haven't been fined before. Two were fined last week and of course, Merriweather got slapped with 50K a few weeks ago.

But has anyone been fined for hitting a Steeler? There was another helmet hit on Hines a couple weeks ago, when HE got called for pass interference, and no fine.

Chidi29
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
But has anyone been fined for hitting a Steeler? There was another helmet hit on Hines a couple weeks ago, when HE got called for pass interference, and no fine.

No fines that I'm aware of.

I do expect a fine of some degree on this hit and will be upset if there is not one.

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 07:41 PM
I thought it was the defensive players responsibility to keep the hits safe?? :noidea:

salamander
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
I thought it was the defensive players responsibility to keep the hits safe?? :noidea:

Except when playing the Steelers.

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Except when playing the Steelers.

Gotcha.

SteelerSal
11-16-2010, 08:06 PM

Ah...but you forgot to add that the Patriots also recieved a 1st, 3rd and 4th round pick for 2011 and a 2nd and 3rd for 2012. :lol:

hotrodder07
11-16-2010, 08:10 PM
There better be a fine! You know that if it was Harrison, the commentators would have been talking about it all game, it would have been all over ESPN, and the fine would have been given out already.

It's okay if the NFL wants to fine those hits, but they cannot pick and choose which ones they fine and which ones they ignore...

steelerdude15
11-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Don't worry, Harrison will get fined for the hit on Ward.
:chuckle: Isn't it the truth.

SMR
11-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Gotcha.

Gotcha 2. The new Goodell law- all fines vs the Steelers and no fines when playing the Steelers. Period.

Godfather
11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
We need to beat the drum with all the national shows about this. It was a blatant cheap shot.

Maybe write in to Michelle Beadle. She doesn't seem to like Brokeback Brady very much.

solardave
11-17-2010, 01:34 AM
There could still be a fine. They get handed out as late as Friday.

Watching NFL network yesterday. They showed the hit while talking about how Hines suffered a concussion but never even mentioned the helmet to helmet. Just like it never happened. I seriously doubt we'll hear any more about it. Tomlin hasn't mentioned it. Probably because if he does Harrison will end up getting suspended for some bullshit late hit EVEN THOUGH HE DIDN'T GET TO THE QB BECAUSE HE WAS HELD!!! They'll say if he wasn't held (and we're not admitting that he was) he would have made some illegal hit so lets just suspend him because he is a dirty player.

This just pisses me off to no end.

7willBheaven
11-17-2010, 01:53 AM
I doubt there will be a fine...based on a previous similar incident. In the Eagles/Colts game a week or 2 ago...when Kurt Coleman had that hit on Austin Collie that took him outta the game. There was no fine there either. The NFL pretty much said something like due to the WR having a defender on his back pushing him down (as he tackled him) and then another defender came in and because the WR was being forced down the 2nd defender was not at fault and so there would be no fine. I'd be shocked if they fine the guy for this one...as the hit on Collie was much worse and he still hasnt played since.

Galax Steeler
11-17-2010, 03:35 AM
There should be a fine if he is going to enforce it then it needs to be for everyone but that isn't the way it works.

HometownGal
11-17-2010, 05:08 AM
We should expect consistency from Goodork? :lol: Surely you jest. It was a Steeler who was injured and he was probably jumping for joy, the little prick.

SteelerFanInStl
11-17-2010, 08:32 AM
Watching NFL network yesterday. They showed the hit while talking about how Hines suffered a concussion but never even mentioned the helmet to helmet. Just like it never happened. I seriously doubt we'll hear any more about it. Tomlin hasn't mentioned it. Probably because if he does Harrison will end up getting suspended for some bullshit late hit EVEN THOUGH HE DIDN'T GET TO THE QB BECAUSE HE WAS HELD!!! They'll say if he wasn't held (and we're not admitting that he was) he would have made some illegal hit so lets just suspend him because he is a dirty player.

This just pisses me off to no end.

Of course. There's only an outcry when it's a Steeler making the hit. Hits on our players are ignored. It's one of the reasons that I've pretty much completely stopped watching NFL Network and ESPN.

tube517
11-17-2010, 10:21 AM
I also do not watch those channels. Unless Rod is on NFLN or the Steelers are on MNF on ESPN or playing on NFLN.

Of course. There's only an outcry when it's a Steeler making the hit. Hits on our players are ignored. It's one of the reasons that I've pretty much completely stopped watching NFL Network and ESPN.

fansince'76
11-17-2010, 10:23 AM
We should expect consistency from Goodork? :lol: Surely you jest. It was a Steeler who was injured and he was probably jumping for joy, the little prick.

"Hines Ward had it coming because he's dirty." :rolleyes:

Pretty sure that's probably the prevailing sentiment with other fanbases, and more importantly, a good chunk of the sports media, whom Goodell seems to seek to appease above all.

Moose
11-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I agree with the reply that being it wasn't a Steeler player DOING the hit there will be no fine issued. LOL. What a pathetic rule and commish. Tomlin, being a coach, ought to be questioning the 'no fine' on the helmet to helmet that hurt HIS player !!! I think being a coach that should be his responsibility to make sure ALL TEAMS and ALL PLAYERS are playing by the same rules. The Rooney's need to get OFF OF THEIR ASSES and start to kick some dust also !!!

zulater
11-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Hines, to his credit, went out of his way to defend the hit and said the hit was clean and no fine should come of it. That's good enough for me.

LLT
11-17-2010, 12:03 PM
I doubt there will be a fine...based on a previous similar incident. In the Eagles/Colts game a week or 2 ago...when Kurt Coleman had that hit on Austin Collie that took him outta the game. There was no fine there either. The NFL pretty much said something like due to the WR having a defender on his back pushing him down (as he tackled him) and then another defender came in and because the WR was being forced down the 2nd defender was not at fault and so there would be no fine. I'd be shocked if they fine the guy for this one...as the hit on Collie was much worse and he still hasnt played since.

Actually, what the NFL said was that they would not fine a defender if a player is "propelled into him by a legal hit"....Ward was NOT propelled into the defender.

That being said, the NFL has also said (after the Pryor/Favre incident) that they would fine a defender for any..." hit to the head no matter how incidental the contact".

SteelerFanInStl
11-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Actually, what the NFL said was that they would not fine a defender if a player is "propelled into him by a legal hit"....Ward was NOT propelled into the defender.

That being said, the NFL has also said (after the Pryor/Favre incident) that they would fine a defender for any..." hit to the head no matter how incidental the contact".

Yep. I guess that only applies to other teams. :scratchchin:

steel striker
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
We all know that if that been one of our defensive players laying that hit out it would have been a flag plus a fine.

st33lersguy
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM

Roger Goodell proceeded to lock himself in his room for a week, cry like a baby, and kept writing "I will never fine another patriots player" excessively :chuckle:

ALLD
11-17-2010, 04:25 PM
There better be a fine! You know that if it was Harrison, the commentators would have been talking about it all game, it would have been all over ESPN, and the fine would have been given out already.

It's okay if the NFL wants to fine those hits, but they cannot pick and choose which ones they fine and which ones they ignore...

The media is in fact talking about the hit. ESPN is all over the news highlighting how Ward got knocked out of the game and then wanted to go back in. The Pats also floated a disingenous article on how the Steelers play dirty. *Nothing however about fines or where those hits falls within the new rules.

If there is no fine for the hits on Ward and Wallace, I call B-U-L-L-S-H-I-T on the NFL. It will officially be the WWE in my book from now on.

steelreserve
11-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't think there should be a fine. Because I don't think they should be handing out fines at all for this type of crap. Only if a guy is blatantly trying to spear someone in the back should there ever be a fine.

This is a dangerous road for the fans to go down. Whether you realize it or not, saying "I think there should've been a fine for the hit on Ward" signifies buying into the new idiot rules. Bitching for ticky-tack pass interference or personal fouls to be called on every other play has become a huge leaguewide problem on both the players' part and the fans' part, and the announcers' part too, for that matter. Play the game on the field and shut up, and only call penalties when someone is blatantly cheating. I want to watch a football game, not listen to everyone whining and citing the bloated rulebook like some kind of asshole lawyer for 3 hours.

hotrodder07
11-17-2010, 09:34 PM
I don't think there should be a fine. Because I don't think they should be handing out fines at all for this type of crap. Only if a guy is blatantly trying to spear someone in the back should there ever be a fine.

This is a dangerous road for the fans to go down. Whether you realize it or not, saying "I think there should've been a fine for the hit on Ward" signifies buying into the new idiot rules. Bitching for ticky-tack pass interference or personal fouls to be called on every other play has become a huge leaguewide problem on both the players' part and the fans' part, and the announcers' part too, for that matter. Play the game on the field and shut up, and only call penalties when someone is blatantly cheating. I want to watch a football game, not listen to everyone whining and citing the bloated rulebook like some kind of asshole lawyer for 3 hours.

It's not about believing that there should be fines for those kinds of hits or not, but rather believing that there should be consistency in the fines. If Goodell is going to fine Harrison for a helmet to helmet hit, then he needs to do so for everyone. Personally, I do not believe in handing out fines for those hits, but that is not the point.

As of now, it appears that any hits on Steelers will be ignored by Goodell, but if a Steeler deals it out, it will get fined. Okay, so maybe I'm exaggerating, or just plain imagining things, but it sure looks like it right now...

Buckinnuts
11-18-2010, 04:43 PM
the play when Harrison hit Brees he was fined on tuesday $20k right away. but a few weeks back wallace got nail and the pass was no where near him and no fine etc...just a bunch of crap!

irisho1955
11-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh, there will be a fine but it will be on Woodley for his late hit on Brady.
I ask this question - Harrison was not fined by the NFL on his hit on Cribbs because Cribbs was a runner, how is the hit on Ward any different?

stillers4me
11-18-2010, 05:37 PM
Oh, there will be a fine but it will be on Woodley for his late hit on Brady.
I ask this question - Harrison was not fined by the NFL on his hit on Cribbs because Cribbs was a runner, how is the hit on Ward any different?

Welcome to SU!!

I would assume that since the pass was ruled incomplete, that Ward could not be deemed a runner since he didn't catch the ball. :noidea:

irisho1955
11-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Welcome to SU!!

I would assume that since the pass was ruled incomplete, that Ward could not be deemed a runner since he didn't catch the ball. :noidea:

The ball was in Ward's hands when the hit was made. He then dropped the ball. Harrison's hit on Massa was because he was declared a defenseless receiver.

stillers4me
11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
The ball was in Ward's hands when the hit was made. He then dropped the ball. Harrison's hit on Massa was because he was declared a defenseless receiver.

If that 's the case, it should have been ruled a fumble and he was a runner. But it wasn't . They ruled it an incomplete pass after it was challenge. He couldn't be a runner if he never caught the ball.

43Hitman
11-18-2010, 08:06 PM

He dropped the ball when he received the helmet to helmet hit.

silver & black
11-18-2010, 08:13 PM

:clap2: :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
11-22-2010, 03:16 PM
I've grown tired of the BS coming out of the commissioner's office. Here's a letter I sent to him today in regards to the inconsistencies in fines and officiating:

Dear Commissioner Goodell:

Hypocrisy, Hypocrisy, Hypocrisy! This sir is a fan’s perspective of how the National Football League office runs the product that is on the field in regards to their intent on ‘Player Safety’, the levied fines, and the protection of certain players and teams vs. the consistency that is shown between officiating and the perception that certain players are ‘untouchable’.

Take for example the week 10 match up between the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Steelers. LaMarr Woodley gets fined for a roughing the passer call in which Brady was barely touched but no fine was levied for multiple helmet-to-helmet hits that occurred on Steelers players, however, a few weeks earlier your office was animate about player safety. Your actions show hypocrisy as well as favoritism.

As I understand from your office, any helmet-to-helmet contact will be reviewed and fines levied regardless of the reason for the contact (whether it be a bang-bang play or a continuation of play that results in said contact). Watching the above mentioned game, I saw at least 3 plays that under the new enforcement of the rules should have resulted in a penalty and fines against New England Patriots players. One such instance knocked out Steelers WR Hines Ward, and the other two while not as devastating, were still helmet to helmet contact. As of Friday, November 19, 2010, only one fine was levied for this game, at that one was against LaMarr Woodley for a hit on Tom Brady. I’ve seen several other QBs in the league take similar hits only to have the official look at them like nothing happened.

So what are you doing Mr. Goodell? Are you protecting certain players, Brady perhaps? Do you have it in for certain teams, the Steelers? Worse case scenario the NFL office, through their lack of consistency in levied fines for helmet-to-helmet hits, looks hypocritical, as well as the level of officiating from game to game.

I watched the Raiders vs. Steelers game where James Harrison hit Raiders QB Jason Campbell within the allotted amount of time after a pass but was called for roughing the QB as the official said he slammed him to the ground. Reviewing the play, Harrison had one hand around Campbell’s chest and his right hand to his outside. The QB was not wrapped up and driven to the ground as the referee explained but instead it was as if Harrison let up as to not hurt the QB. So what does it look like? It looks like the officials are supposed to make an example out of Harrison and the Steelers.

I’ve seen a few other games since your office got on it’s pedestal about being concerned for player safety, that according to the new ‘enforcement’ of the rules, penalties and fines should have been levied but again the officials are inconsistent in their knowledge of the rules and the NFL Commissioner’s Office is inconsistent in their actions.

Please, Commissioner Goodell, explain to me how it is in Week 6 and Week 8 the NFL was intent on curtailing such ‘devastating hits’ to the point that several players were fined thousands of dollars but yet in Week 10 there is not one mention of similar hits drawing the ire of your office? From a fan’s perspective it hints towards favoritism of players, teams, and/or owners. Punish the strong, reward the weak!

I understand that your job has some difficult decisions to be made. However, as a fan, what I’m looking for is greater consistency, greater fan appreciation, less variation of the game of football, and more focus on sitting down at a table with the NFLPA and fixing the CBA before the fans get screwed, AGAIN, with a lockout!

I’ve heard you mention before that public opinion does not sway your actions, but Mr. Goodell you should take a look at the state of the league, the angst the fans feel towards actions or lack their of that your office has taken, and you will see sir that fans are becoming disgruntled with the current state of the league. It won’t matter what you try to enforce because your only fans will players and owners! From a fan’s perspective Commissioner Goodell, and I know I’m not the only one, you have taken the fun out of watching the game that I love. I cringe every time one of my favorite players makes a great play for fear that the next day your office will levy a fine. I shutter at the fact that the player safety rules that you levy fines against my team but yet have failed to provide the same enforcement when identical plays occur against them.

Don’t you think it’s sad when fans are watching games only to wonder if the great play they just saw will incur a fine from your office? Or to be aggravated when similar plays don’t draw the same fines that their favorite players got fined for only a few games prior? Is that really how you want the game to be played? To be watched? I hope, no, I pray that you will see the inconsistencies in your actions and that you will take the corrective actions necessary to right the ship and make this league fun to watch again.

If you want to increase player safety, then increase the consistency of the officials and the consistency of your office’s actions! I’ve listed these before, but it bears repeating. Here’s a list of rules that need to be reviewed, and officials trained on proper calls:

Holding
Defensive players being choked when passed the blocker
Defensive players jersey pulled away from their bodies when making moves
WRs pulling on defenders jerseys to make a move

Roughing the passer
Incidental contact to the helmet (especially if the defensive player is blocked in to the QB)
Slamming to the ground
Hits after the pass

Piling on after the play is dead (truly something I’m surprised has not been curtailed long before)
Offensive players lowering their heads to use as a battering ram (in the open field), if you’re going to tell defensive players they can’t lower their head to make a tackle, then offensive players shouldn’t be allowed to become a battering ram in the open field. (But then again that’s how football is supposed to be played, that’s how players are taught to play the game. Lower your center of gravity and run somebody over – you should try it some day and see how easy it is to lower your body while running and keep your head up high). Better idea, scrap this rule, rule on the gregarious hits that are flagrant and allow the players to play the game the way it was designed to be played with shoulder pads and helmets and not with flags and skirts.
A catch. The rule is ridiculous and needs to be reverted back to what it was long ago. In the hands, two feet down or an elbow, or a knee equals a catch. This whole make a football move is ridiculous and out of control when it comes to making a determination of a catch.

I’ve asked before and I’ll ask again. Please give me a few days to be your shadow. I would love to understand what you see (or what individuals in your office see) to make determinations on who gets fined, why certain plays are finable but others are not, to really see what goes on behind closed doors in regards to the new CBA agreement negotiations. Maybe I’d have a better understanding and my frustrations of this New NFL will be curtailed. Or maybe I’ll learn enough to know that it isn’t worth it anymore and my time is better spent doing something else. Or maybe, just maybe, you’ll see and learn something from a fan’s perspective and you’ll be able to rally the players, coaches, and owners to better the game without changing the game!