PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Reed is gone!!!

LLT
11-16-2010, 11:20 AM
According to the Steelers website...the Steelers waived Jeff Reed 6 minutes ago.

JayC
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
suisham is our answer?

fansince'76
11-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Suisham? Better hope we don't need a FG to decide this Sunday's game.

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't know if this was a good thing.

I mean, we still have to pay him on the tag, don't we?

fansince'76
11-16-2010, 11:23 AM
How are Suisham's kickoffs? I already know his FG skills leave a bit to be desired.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-16-2010, 11:26 AM
Any word on Matt Stover?? I saw a tweet last night that we might look at him..

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
It's on the PG now...

The Steelers have released struggling kicker Jeff Reed and are expected to sign former Washington Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham, who worked out for them this morning, the Post-Gazette has learned.

Suisham, who was cut in by the Steelers in training camp in 2005, kicked at Heinz Field in gray conditions under the watchful eye of Coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

In parts of four seasons with the Redskins, he converted 81 of 101 field goal attempts, a conversion percentage of 80.1 percent. In 12 games last season, Suisham made 18 of 21 field goals (85.7 percent).

Suisham also kicked for the Dallas Cowboys after being cut by the Steelers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10320/1103742-100.stm#ixzz15T2gBsVD

Raleigh Steel
11-16-2010, 11:27 AM
reed has been absolutely crappy this year. but you gotta remember how good he was for us for so many years. it's a move that needed to be made, but i hate that it had to be made.

thanks for your time here jeff...but it's time for you and us to move on.

LLT
11-16-2010, 11:28 AM
How are Suisham's kickoffs? I already know his FG skills leave a bit to be desired.

Good point....Though I am more worried about the FG's. I have seen Sepulveda on kickoffs and he does pretty well....The fact that Reed has beat out Suisham in the past has me a little worried.

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 11:32 AM
I think the offseason negotiations, or lack their of, were proof that the front office had little to no prospect of extending him.

They gave him the tag to see if he was indeed worth the investment... and he failed.

It's too bad. The guy had his moments.

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 11:33 AM
Good point....Though I am more worried about the FG's. I have seen Sepulveda on kickoffs and he does pretty well....The fact that Reed has beat out Suisham in the past has me a little worried.

That may have been on a dry field. :rolleyes: :noidea:

LLT
11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
Steelers waive Jeff Reed

Steelers Sign Kicker Shaun Suisham; Release Jeff Reed

PITTSBURGH – The Steelers signed kicker Shaun Suisham to a one-year contract today, the team announced. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Suisham, who was originally signed by the Steelers as an undrafted rookie free agent out of Bowling Green in 2005, has made 79.1 percent (87 of 110) of his field goals and 101 of 103 extra points (98.1 percent) during his career. He has twice kicked in the regular season for both the Dallas Cowboys (2005-06, 2009) and Washington Redskins (2006, 2009). Suisham booted a career-long 52-yard field goal in 2006 while playing for the Cowboys.

read more:
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-waive-Jeff-Reed/0fbd3318-35d6-4afb-918a-164282cac4dc

crcsnail
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
I KNOW HE HAS BEEN BAD THIS YEAR BUT I THOUGHT HE DESEARVED THIS SEASON AT LEAST . I DONT THINK SUISAM IS THE ANSWER. PERHAPS STUFF HAS GONE ON IN THE BACK GROUND WE DONT KNOW ABOUT?

oops caps and i cant be bothered to type it again soz

Lambert_Loonie
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm grateful for what Jeff's done for us, and while IMO this was an overreaction by the franchise, something had to be done.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I think we all knew this was a coming but it should be a shock to no one. We had to make a change before our season got ruined. Hopefully our new kicker will give us new life.

tube517
11-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I think there is more to the story than missed FG's

I'm grateful for what Jeff's done for us, and while IMO this was an overreaction by the franchise, something had to be done.

Akagi
11-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Huh. I would have expected they'd sign Peter Check.

Akagi
11-16-2010, 11:40 AM

I think you're right.

Dino 6 Rings
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
careful what you ask for...that's all I'm saying...

Lambert_Loonie
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Well, I would imagine there is. If its just solely on his field goal percentage, I won't say it's a dumb move but I'm not 100% it's the wisest. With the exception of Baltimore, what games has he cost us this season? Even if he made all his field goals Sunday night, the Steelers still would have lost (but I'll grant you that there's no reason any NFL kicker misses a gimme from 26 yards). Even the Morten Andersen's and Adam Vinatieri's of the world have bad days and a lean season or two.

I think that Jeff Reed is near the bottom on the list of the Steelers problems. If everybody executes and does their job properly, then the Steelers - or any team for that matter - shouldn't have to rely on a kicker to save their collective asses. Cutting Reed doesn't help the secondary, it doesn't help the sputtering offense and it doesn't help the injury laden offensive and defensive lines.

Borski
11-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Does anyone know if Sepulveda has kicked FG's in practice or college? wouldn't hurt to see what he has.

LLT
11-16-2010, 12:01 PM
I think that Suisham is just a stop-gap (as I wrote in the draft forum) we will be getting a new kicker come draft time.

steelpride12
11-16-2010, 12:04 PM
I think Sepulvida could be OK in kickoffs for the Steelers, and Suisham just ehh not a good FG kicker at all IMO. We have some searching to do.

The Duke
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Bye jeff! thanks for all these years. But man I wanted leigh tiffin!

I heard he stopped drinking. There's the reason :chuckle:

I think that Suisham is just a stop-gap (as I wrote in the draft forum) we will be getting a new kicker come draft time.

hopefully. I don't like him at all

vader29
11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Thanks Jeff for all you've done here and good luck wherever you end up except when you play us. Also let's score more touchdowns instead of field goals and then we will not have to worry about our kicker.

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks Jeff, for all the great kicks and games won for the Black and Gold. Best of luck.

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 01:26 PM
http://a2.twimg.com/profile_images/250042842/tiops_normal.gif
Insidepghsports (http://twitter.com/#!/Insidepghsports) Will DePaoli

there's been a lot more embarrassing acts from Reed on road trips, ect that have been kept in house and hid from the media

steel striker
11-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Wow I thought that the top brass would make this move next season if there is a next year. The guy we just signed is not the answer to the problem. I watched him missed alot of kicks and, I know Jeff has missed more kicks than we are usually seeing him miss. Just remember kicking @home here is not a walk in the park. I guess we will see. I'm sure Jeff will catch on somewhere else and, hopefully this won't comeback to bite us.

SteelerEmpire
11-16-2010, 01:38 PM
Hallelujah ! But that's only if we get someone BETTER than Reed !

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 01:41 PM
Hallelujah ! But that's only if we get someone BETTER than Reed !

I don't think that's goping to happen until the 5th or 6th round of the 2011 draft. But then, we'd might as well pick a kicker at that point.

LLT
11-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't think that's goping to happen until the 5th or 6th round of the 2011 draft. But then, we'd might as well pick a kicker at that point.

From the draft section of the forum...I posted this, this morning, before Reed was let go.

Round 6.... Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of the season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

venom
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanx for the good kicks Jeff . Sometimes what you get in return is worse than you had . Lets hope it works out .

fansince'76
11-16-2010, 01:47 PM
Too bad it had to end like this. Good luck to Reed.

hotrodder07
11-16-2010, 01:58 PM

I agree. They wouldn't do this just because he's having a bad year so far. They know what he's capable of. It has to be an attitude issue or something.

I still don't really like this move. He's the most accurate kicker in Steelers history, but what can you do? I hope Suisham can live up to Jeff Reed's great kicking over the years. At least for this second half of the season.

7willBheaven
11-16-2010, 02:03 PM
From the draft section of the forum...I posted this, this morning, before Reed was let go.

Round 6.... Kicker Alex Henery, Nebraska, Height: 6-2 Weight: 175
Got to look at bringing in a kicker if Skippy is on his way out of town. The Steelers might bring in a spare tire until the end of the season but we need to look long term in the next draft. Henery is 13 for 14 with a 92.9% completion rate. He is a perfect 45 of 45 for extra points and has score 84 points for the cornhuskers. He is 7-8 in the 40 + yard range and has made three fieldgoals of 50+ yards. His only miss this year was from 51 yards and technically didnt "miss" since a blocker missed their assignment and the field goal was blocked. He also can punt and averages 41.6 yards a punt this year.

I've liked this guy for a couple years...i saw him make like a 60+ yarder before. I think we need to get him...even if we have to spend a draft pick on him.

I saw the Bengals signed Pettrey...if he wasnt in Cincy i think the Steelers would have brought him in too. He wasnt too bad at OSU. Thanks Jeffy for what you did in the PAST...good luck to ya etc...welcome back Suisham!

steelerdude15
11-16-2010, 02:24 PM
Goodbye old friend. It's hard to see someone leave when you've grown up with them for so long. Thank you for everything you've done and good luck in the future.

st33lersguy
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Jeff Reed, a person who only showed aggression toward towel-dispensers is gone

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
HUGE downgrade.. I mean yeah, Reed's been off, but its only been one year since he was the most accurate kicker in the NFL....

Suisham choked last year with the Skins and Cowboys, most notably missed the field goal that would've had the Skins beating the Saints last year...

Great... so, now, Reed will go to Bungles, and he'll kick the winning field goal against us in a few weeks... I feel it in my BONES!

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Stover would've been my pick.

tube517
11-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Nope, the Bungles picked up somebody else.

HUGE downgrade.. I mean yeah, Reed's been off, but its only been one year since he was the most accurate kicker in the NFL....

Suisham choked last year with the Skins and Cowboys, most notably missed the field goal that would've had the Skins beating the Saints last year...

Great... so, now, Reed will go to Bungles, and he'll kick the winning field goal against us in a few weeks... I feel it in my BONES!

JayC
11-16-2010, 03:55 PM
HUGE downgrade!

can't really say it's a huge downgrade. he hasn't even kicked yet and i can't see him being worse than averaging 68%. i don't think he's any better but "huge downgrade", i think not.

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Nope, the Bungles picked up somebody else.

The season is still not over. He'll be there. I can feel it.

Count Steeler
11-16-2010, 03:58 PM
Sorry to see you go Jeff. Your kickoffs let something to be desired, but you were money in the bank on FGs.

I hope Suisham can tackle.

WindyCitySteelerFan
11-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry to see you go Jeff. Your kickoffs let something to be desired, but you were money in the bank on FGs.

I hope Suisham can tackle.

We should put Suisham through the Hines Ward tackling class!

oneforthetoe
11-16-2010, 04:01 PM
suisham is our answer?

Yes he is the answer .... I'm just not sure what the question is.

Sorry to see Jeff go, but he had off field issues and was not blessed with a powerful leg
His job security was based solely on his clutch kicking skills. Once those skills went away (and it has really been two years), he had little to keep him here.

The fact is we are pretty much in the same spot we were in yesterday. If we need a field goal, I'm barely going to be able to watch the screen.

Steeldude
11-16-2010, 04:09 PM
let's see what approach tomlin takes with the rest of the players after the season is over. it's time to bring in some talent to the O-line

ALLD
11-16-2010, 04:22 PM
The opponent's field position should be affected if the new kicker can kick a few touchbacks.

tube517
11-16-2010, 04:27 PM
You haven't figured out this by now after nearly 4 years of Tomlin as HC????

He will draft 3 more LB's in the 2011 draft to fix the OL

let's see what approach tomlin takes with the rest of the players after the season is over. it's time to bring in some talent to the O-line

Merchant
11-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Not like he was going to get a contract extension at the end of the season. He's been garbage all year, on FGs and Kickoffs. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I commend Tomlin for making a much needed change.

ALLD
11-16-2010, 05:25 PM
What are they going to do with all those Jeff Reed jerseys on ebay?

HometownGal
11-16-2010, 05:26 PM
I know in my black 'n gold heart that Skippy will find his groove again and do well for another team and I wish him all of the luck in the world. :drink: I've adored him from hello and our little "communications" at Steelers luncheons are going to be so missed by me.

Thank you, Jeff, for the wonderful memories I will always have of you both on and off the field. :hug: :applaudit:

One last time I say . . . LUV YA SKIPPY!

BlastFurnace
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
You haven't figured out this by now after nearly 4 years of Tomlin as HC????

He will draft 3 more LB's in the 2011 draft to fix the OL

Don't forget, we might need a 3rd string TE in the early rounds too.

Burghfan58
11-16-2010, 05:58 PM
Don't forget, we might need a 3rd string TE in the early rounds too.

Tomlin drafted Pouncey. Who did Cowher and company draft for the o-line. Starks, Kemo and Colon. None where high draft picks and most would say they were average O-lineman at best.

The Duke
11-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I just hope we don't have to kick any game winning field goals this year

at least at heinz field

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Tomlin drafted Pouncey. Who did Cowher and company draft for the o-line. Starks, Kemo and Colon. None where high draft picks and most would say they were average O-lineman at best.

You guys think its all the coaches and not the GM.

In the Cowher era, Steeler GM's drafted Leon Searcy and Alan Faneca in the 1st and Marvel Smith in the top of the 2nd. Many thought Smith was a late 1st round talent. But, they brought in solid veteran free agents like Jeff Hartings and Wayne Gandy.

Still find it amusing that a lot of folks here wanted to give Reed a big fat contract 6 months ago and forgot that he got his job during an open audition as a UFA. Kickers can be found without needing to franchise tag them.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Oh, I forgot that they also drafted Jamain Stevens. Ouch.

Chidi29
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
Kickers obviously have a short leash. It's a "what have you done for me lately" league and that is multiplied tenfold when it comes to kickers because like Tomlin said in his press conference, you can't bench a kicker.

Reed had been known for being able to kick at home in the elements, but his home percentage is awful this year. If the trend was reversed, maybe he stays.

And when you're not playing well, the attitude and any possible off the field problems aren't tolerated as much, It's why guys like Owens and Moss can find work. They play well and therefore are given more leeway. Nature of the business.

Best of luck to Reed.

Craic
11-16-2010, 07:04 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0GY3Mv5zxv8/TIZojA_AYtI/AAAAAAAAABo/F2l7Xa5lRwM/s1600/2009-12-30_114438_Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353646-302-450.jpg (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0GY3Mv5zxv8/TIZojA_AYtI/AAAAAAAAABo/F2l7Xa5lRwM/s1600/2009-12-30_114438_Troll-Doll-troll-dolls-1353646-302-450.jpg)

See ya later Skippy.

Thanks for the good years-- and the laughs.

NCSteeler
11-16-2010, 07:43 PM
I've been tired of Jeff's routine for some time now, but I seriously doubt Suishi finishes the season on our roster. He's been cut multiple times DURING seasons for being unreliable in the clutch. I predict we sign at least one more kicker this year, maybe two.

atlsteelers
11-16-2010, 07:59 PM
Dumb move.....sushi sucks..the dude has been cut numerous times bc he blows....wonder who finishes the season as a our kicker. ..too bad mcfadden was not cut

Steeldude
11-16-2010, 08:07 PM

read gonzo's reply to you.

Burghfan58
11-16-2010, 09:38 PM
read gonzo's reply to you.
I was refering to the current crop of lineman. I realize they paid more attention years ago to the o-line. The Steelers o-line has really been average over the last 8 or so seasons and they still managed 2 Bowls. Go figure.

Godfather
11-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Kickers obviously have a short leash. It's a "what have you done for me lately" league and that is multiplied tenfold when it comes to kickers because like Tomlin said in his press conference, you can't bench a kicker.

Reed had been known for being able to kick at home in the elements, but his home percentage is awful this year. If the trend was reversed, maybe he stays.

And when you're not playing well, the attitude and any possible off the field problems aren't tolerated as much, It's why guys like Owens and Moss can find work. They play well and therefore are given more leeway. Nature of the business.

Best of luck to Reed.

Yep...and given all our injuries in the trenches, we couldn't do like the Saints and temporarily carry two kickers while Skippy got his head on straight. We had to make the change.

Thanks for the good seasons in the past, Skippy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I was refering to the current crop of lineman. I realize they paid more attention years ago to the o-line. The Steelers o-line has really been average over the last 8 or so seasons and they still managed 2 Bowls. Go figure.

Yeah, that Super Bowl XL had a bunch of bums on it. Faneca, Hartings, Simmons were all 1st round picks. Marvel Smith was a 2nd and if I remember correctly....Smith, Faneca, Hartings all made the pro bowl that year.

The last Super Bowl run seemed to have a bunch of guys on defense getting pick-sixes all year and an amazing 3 game streak by Smoketonio Holmes in the 3 playoff games.

Super Bowl XL, Cowher, Whiz, Grimm all tried to grind out the ball on the ground and play solid D. The line talent was good and they never tried stocking it that well for the future. Since then, not much has been done except attemtps at Urbik, Hills, and finally a win with Pouncey.

smokin3000gt
11-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the move was a bit hasty. I know the guy has disappointed with his piss poor attitude and bad kicking as of late but I have more faith in him then someone who seems to be a step backwards and definitely not a step forward. Even if Suisham is just a temporary move until the draft all the more reason to stick with reed until the end of the year IMO. There might be more to the story then is being reported.

Wallace108
11-17-2010, 12:17 AM
There might be more to the story then is being reported.

My gut says the same thing. If it was all about his on-field performance, what good does it do to replace him with someone who isn't as good? I think they've wanted to get rid of him, and his outburst after the Patriots game was the final straw.

Galax Steeler
11-17-2010, 03:59 AM
My gut says the same thing. If it was all about his on-field performance, what good does it do to replace him with someone who isn't as good? I think they've wanted to get rid of him, and his outburst after the Patriots game was the final straw.

Well said and I agree with everything you posted there is more to it then just his kicking.

Burghfan58
11-17-2010, 06:59 AM
Yeah, that Super Bowl XL had a bunch of bums on it. Faneca, Hartings, Simmons were all 1st round picks. Marvel Smith was a 2nd and if I remember correctly....Smith, Faneca, Hartings all made the pro bowl that year.

The last Super Bowl run seemed to have a bunch of guys on defense getting pick-sixes all year and an amazing 3 game streak by Smoketonio Holmes in the 3 playoff games.

Super Bowl XL, Cowher, Whiz, Grimm all tried to grind out the ball on the ground and play solid D. The line talent was good and they never tried stocking it that well for the future. Since then, not much has been done except attemtps at Urbik, Hills, and finally a win with Pouncey..
Even though they were better than our current crop, Faneca, Hartings and Smith were on the down side of their careers. Simmons never lived up to his his first round status IMO. It also didn't hurt to have a 260 pound RB pounding the ball. My point was that Cowher and Colbert seemed to put the o-line on the back burner after the Simmons draft in 02.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Even though they were better than our current crop, Faneca, Hartings and Smith were on the down side of their careers. Simmons never lived up to his his first round status IMO. It also didn't hurt to have a 260 pound RB pounding the ball. My point was that Cowher and Colbert seemed to put the o-line on the back burner after the Simmons draft in 02.

Smith, Faneca, Hartings were all playing at a high level. I agree that the Steelers didnt plan well to replace them, but rather they spent 3rd -7th round selections on guys like Starks, Colon, Cam Stevenson, etc.

I was hoping they would spend a 7th round pick on a kicker like Swenson or Tiffin last year, but maybe neither was deemed to be an NFL kicker. Will see how it all works out now.

Indo
11-17-2010, 12:25 PM
This may not be the right thread to open this, but...

Gonzo, being the O-line guru that you are, what is your take on Pouncey's brother? I hear good things, but I honestly haven't had the time (or desire!) to watch the Gators this year. Is he someone we should be thinking about?

Craic
11-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Bowl XL, Cowher, Whiz, Grimm all tried to grind out the ball on the ground and play solid D. The line talent was good and they never tried stocking it that well for the future. Since then, not much has been done except attemtps at Urbik, Hills, and finally a win with Pouncey.

Which is why I still blame Russ Grimm for our problems now. It takes quite a few years to put together a good line through the draft. Especially when we have bigger needs due to players ages, and our usual draft positions.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Which is why I still blame Russ Grimm for our problems now. It takes quite a few years to put together a good line through the draft. Especially when we have bigger needs due to players ages, and our usual draft positions.

Why do you blame Grimm?? Was it because his input on drafted linemen might have influenced the selection of players like Mathias Nkwenti, Bo Lacy, Cameron Stevenson, Willie Colon, Max Starks, etc??

I blame the scouts more. heck, LLT can pick college linemen better and has proven so in the past few years that I have been on these boards.

memphissteelergirl
11-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I think the move was a bit hasty. I know the guy has disappointed with his piss poor attitude and bad kicking as of late but I have more faith in him then someone who seems to be a step backwards and definitely not a step forward. Even if Suisham is just a temporary move until the draft all the more reason to stick with reed until the end of the year IMO. There might be more to the story then is being reported.

Hey y'all...I'm a little late to the conversation. I just found out about this on BS-PN this morning. I almost yelled out "WHAT?" right in the middle of the campus cafeteria.
Stunned is the best way I could describe my reaction. I'm a little concerned that they're doing this right in the middle of the season. Although Reed has been pretty sucky this season, he was won more games for us than lost them. There are more forces at work here, I think.

Jeff...thanks for everything you've done for the Black and Gold, and I hope you land somewhere soon. God bless.