PDA

View Full Version : Which of their several deficiencies ranks as the Steelers greatest?

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 05:26 AM
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:45 AM
Written by Bob Smizik

Advice for Steelers fans everywhere: Don’t get too high with the highs and don’t get too low with the lows.

But that wouldn’t be much fun, would it?

Half the pleasure of being a fanatic is basking in the glory of the victories and raising holy stink in the defeats.

The attitude around Pittsburgh this week concerning the Steelers, following a thrashing by the New England Patriots, is probably pretty much the same it was in Boston last week when the very same Patriots were bashed by the lowly Cleveland Browns..................

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/26158-which-of-their-many-weaknesses-is-the-steelers-greatests

HometownGal
11-16-2010, 06:55 AM
In fact, you could start a good argument over which one of three aspects of the Steelers is the team’s greatest weakness.

* Is it the offensive line, not all that good to begin with and now ravaged by injuries?

* Is it the three-man defensive line, which is playing without two starters?

* Is it the thought-to-be revamped secondary, which is instead looking a lot like the 2009 group that was the team’s undoing?

I'd have to say all 3, unfortunately, with heavy emphasis on Door #3.

Steeldude
11-16-2010, 04:04 PM
* Is it the offensive line, not all that good to begin with and now ravaged by injuries? the O-line was bad going in. the injuries aren't the problem so much as the lack of talent from top to bottom. so yes, the O-line is part of the reason

* Is it the three-man defensive line, which is playing without two starters? no. it's rushing no one and dropping 8. it's not like smith and keisel are great pass rushers. the steelers last good pass rusher on the D-line was ray seals.

* Is it the thought-to-be revamped secondary, which is instead looking a lot like the 2009 group that was the team’s undoing? the secondary is the same poor unit since last season. the steelers have the NFL's top 3 most burned CBs(statistically) of 2009 on their roster. some of this can be eased if lebeau would attack more.

oneforthetoe
11-16-2010, 04:11 PM
I am just going to go ahead and get out in front of the rest of you and start blaming Suisham now.

tube517
11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
:hand:

How can it be Suisham's fault when the turf "moved" ?

I am just going to go ahead and get out in front of the rest of you and start blaming Suisham now.

oneforthetoe
11-16-2010, 04:27 PM
:hand:

How can it be Suisham's fault when the turf "moved" ?

IDK, but if he gets pissed he'll probably kick the crap out of a drinking fountain.

Devilsdancefloor
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
* Is it the offensive line, not all that good to begin with and now ravaged by injuries? the O-line was bad going in. the injuries aren't the problem so much as the lack of talent from top to bottom. so yes, the O-line is part of the reason

* Is it the three-man defensive line, which is playing without two starters? no. it's rushing no one and dropping 8. it's not like smith and keisel are great pass rushers. the steelers last good pass rusher on the D-line was ray seals.

* Is it the thought-to-be revamped secondary, which is instead looking a lot like the 2009 group that was the team’s undoing? the secondary is the same poor unit since last season. the steelers have the NFL's top 3 most burned CBs(statistically) of 2009 on their roster. some of this can be eased if lebeau would attack more.

great post have to agree! id like to see legursky in at RG instead of essex maybe i is me but since he has been back at RG we are having more trouble running or i might be imagining it since i dont like essex as well:P i wish we would attack more on D we seem to have gone mighty vanilla with dropping harrison and woodley in pass coverage instead of releasing the hounds!

steeldevil
11-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Guess I would have to say Secondary because they have not had injuries like the O and D lines.

Steeldude
11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
great post have to agree! id like to see legursky in at RG instead of essex maybe i is me but since he has been back at RG we are having more trouble running or i might be imagining it since i dont like essex as well:P i wish we would attack more on D we seem to have gone mighty vanilla with dropping harrison and woodley in pass coverage instead of releasing the hounds!

i think legursky is the better option too. he is good against the run, but not so much in pass protection. from what i have read legursky was benched due to his lack skill/understanding in pass protection. IMO, essex has been poor in both areas so why not give legursky another chance or at least spell essex more often?

i really hope the steelers can find someone above average to plug in next season.

Count Steeler
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
1. Injuries
2. Secondary
3. Injuries

The Duke
11-16-2010, 06:45 PM
i think legursky is the better option too. he is good against the run, but not so much in pass protection. from what i have read legursky was benched due to his lack skill/understanding in pass protection. IMO, essex has been poor in both areas so why not give legursky another chance or at least spell essex more often?

i really hope the steelers can find someone above average to plug in next season.

totally agree

I still don't understand why they are keeping essex out there. At least bronko shows a mean streak, with a few mental mistakes. Trai just looks weak out there

tube517
11-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Essex was a LT in college and also played LT (when Starks or Marvel Smith was out) when he first came to the Steelers. How he ended up at RG - I have no idea.

totally agree

I still don't understand why they are keeping essex out there. At least bronko shows a mean streak, with a few mental mistakes. Trai just looks weak out there

Steeldude
11-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Essex was a LT in college and also played LT (when Starks or Marvel Smith was out) when he first came to the Steelers. How he ended up at RG - I have no idea.

it's the steelers settling for mediocrity(or below) and then praying it works out.

steelerdude15
11-16-2010, 08:22 PM
One thing that I would like to see be done that should have been done in the beginning of the season, is moving Kemo to right guard, his natural position. I'm pretty sure he's better at that then left guard. Losing Max hurts us, even though he isn't one of the best left tackles in the game, he still is one of the bright spots on our offensive line. I love Pouncey and picking him up was a great decision. I love his work ethic and he just won't give up, a major step up compared to Hartwig. Hopefully Kemo will be back this Sunday against the Raiders. I believe bringing back McFadden was good for the team and is a step up compared to Gay who has actually done well this year compared to last. Ike is playing better than last year too, it seems he has one good year and then a bad year and then a good year and the cycle continues. Clark has been very quiet and Troy has been having hits, but hasn't done much over the past six games. I hope we start blitzing more. I also want to see Mendy and company run the ball more. We have three able running backs who can get the job done.