PDA

View Full Version : Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB

polamalubeast
06-04-2010, 08:39 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0aYE60ih1ng9j/340x.jpg

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/report-leftwich-to-open-season-as-steelers-starting-qb/

Report: Leftwich to Open Season as Steelers Starting QB
By Chuck Carroll
Football News Now Staff Writer
June 4, 2010

Byron Leftwich appears to be the Steelers starter in Week 1.
To the surprise of some, but not many, it appears that Byron Leftwich will open the season as the Pittsburgh Steelers starting quarterback while Ben Roethlisberger serves his four to six game suspension.

Leftwich’s only competition came from the young Dennis Dixon who lacks the experience of the former Jaguars starter.

The 30-year-old had been taking snaps with the first team until Roethlisberger was cleared to return to practice this week.

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette summed it up by stating, “it has become obvious Byron Leftwich will open the season as the starting quarterback.”

HometownGal
06-04-2010, 08:49 PM
Makes me a happy Steelers fan! :yay3: :thumbsup: I think starting the season with Lefty behind center is a no-brainer.

Nadroj 20
06-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Guess they know what they are doing.... i still think DD gives us more options....either way I cant knock the coaching staff at this point

SMR
06-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Guess they know what they are doing.... i still think DD gives us more options....either way I cant knock the coaching staff at this point

I second that. I DO like Leftwich, but I was leaning towards DD. We will see.

SteelerSal
06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Just heard this news on NFL Network.

I think it's the smart move and if Lefty struggles (which he wont) the first couple of games, then they might want to think about Dixon. IMO

BlastFurnace
06-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Makes me a happy Steelers fan! :yay3: :thumbsup: I think starting the season with Lefty behind center is a no-brainer.

Agree 100%. I have a lot of confidence in Leftwich.

salamander
06-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Works for me! I have faith in Lefty. :yay3:

steeldevil
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Like Lefty as the starter but I think it would be a waste of talent if dixon isnt out there for a few plays a game... guy is an athlete

Psycho Ward 86
06-04-2010, 09:20 PM
This is an upper tier team in this league as a whole. An experienced vet is probably the way to go. I'm right with you Byron, you have our vote of confidence!

stillers4me
06-04-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm glad they were able to get Leftwich back. We were very lucky that things didn't work out so well for him in TB. He knows our offense and I think the players have confidence in him after how well he did the last time he stepped in. I think he is as happy to be back, as they are to have him.

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
A very wise decision. :clap2: Lefty will do just fine holding down the fort until Ben gets back.

tony hipchest
06-04-2010, 09:28 PM
im not sure this is an official report.

do we trust bouchette now?

SteelerEmpire
06-04-2010, 09:29 PM
like we didn't know this was going to happen...

Craic
06-04-2010, 09:33 PM
I think Lefty will lead us to a 2-2, maybe 3-1 start. It'll be one of those things where Ben may have been able to win it, but Lefty nor anyone else could (couple sacks at very bad times that Ben would have escaped from type thing). But on the whole, Lefty'll have us in every game.

The more I think about, I lean to a 3-1 with the single loss to the Ravens, who will smell blood and know we are going to be a lot tougher to knock off late in the season with Ben in the game.

And hopefully, Lefty'll find himself a nice house in the burgh, and decide that he wants to stay here as the number 1 backup for the next 5 years.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-04-2010, 09:38 PM
im not sure this is an official report.

do we trust bouchette now?

I was thinking the same thing. One would think Dixon would at least get a shot during training camp.

Prouncey53
06-04-2010, 09:46 PM

I wish we would go with Dixon... he gives us another dimension at QB and with some work with the first team he could be a pretty good QB in my mind. But hey, I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

Nadroj 20
06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I wish we would go with Dixon... he gives us another dimension at QB and with some work with the first team he could be a pretty good QB in my mind. But hey, I guess that's why I'm not a coach.

Pretty much my thoughts on the situation too...But as i said this is June 4th so why am i going to sit here and critize the choice (if it is indeed true) ? I'll be rooting for Lefty just as hard as everyone else :thumbsup:

The Duke
06-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah, that'd be cool and all but, I'll wait till at least training camp, let alone the preseason, to start before I know they've made a decision

steelpride12
06-04-2010, 10:30 PM
The Steelers are all about having a veteran presence and the leadership Lefty brings is huge! Im happy with this decision and im hoping he can lead them to a 3 and 1 record, but 2 and 2 would not be the end of the world. If he struggles I have faith DD will step in and give the Steelers a fair chance to win it.

kmsteelerwr15
06-04-2010, 10:46 PM
I would have been happy with either Lefty or Dixon but it feels good to know who the starter is for week 1.

chucoblack&gold
06-05-2010, 12:59 AM
I think we're blessed to have the personnel in the QB position

Galax Steeler
06-05-2010, 04:10 AM
I think everyone pretty much saw this one a coming. Lefty brings experience over Dixon hopefully he will do well and keep us in the win column until Ben gets back.

ALLD
06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Bad news for Dixon. Lefty seemed to thrive in our system in a limited role. Now is his opportunity to turn back the clock and make a final impact in the NFL. It will be interesting to see if he can put it together for a few games and perform as he once did with no injury or inadequate supporting player excuses. Have to wonder when the Steelers will be looking for the next Aaron Rogers to replace BB and where he will come from.

solardave
06-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Just heard this news on NFL Network.

I think it's the smart move and if Lefty struggles (which he wont) the first couple of games, then they might want to think about Dixon. IMO

I'm thinking the same way. I'm guessing we see a little deception using Dixon too.

venom
06-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Im counting the minutes until opening day vs the Falcons !!!http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio4/images/Countdown.jpg

KeiselPower99
06-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Way to go Byron!!! Cant wait for football to begin!!!

BuddhaBus
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm cool with Lefty. I think he'll do just fine, though I was hoping to see more of what Dixon can do. I trust the coaching staff is going to start the guy that has shown the most in practices and gives us the best chance of winning. I feel like we have the best set of QBs of any team in the league right now. We just need one of the guys to hold down the fort for 4 weeks until Ben gets back. If we can go at least 2-2, we'll be OK.

zulater
06-05-2010, 11:51 AM
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=46717&page=3

I remember before Ben derailed down in Ga. I suggested we get Byron back and that I thought he would beat out Dixon in an open qb competition and very few were buying.:nono:

Where's my medal? :tongue1:

SteelersinCA
06-05-2010, 12:45 PM
I'm sort of surprised that a decision would be made this early. I would think Tomlin would hold off to see how everyone progresses.

SteelersinCA
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Where's my medal? :tongue1:

:cheer2::cheer2::bananalama::whoo:

there

Killer
06-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Can't anyone read? This is just Ed Bouchette saying this.

He's been wrong before.

tony hipchest
06-05-2010, 01:53 PM
when ed b. wrote that it was obvious the rooneys had a problem with arians, he was just a shit stirring hack, pulling shit out of his ass, to sell stories in the off-season.

Stlrs4Life
06-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I second that. I DO like Leftwich, but I was leaning towards DD. We will see.

So was I. I don't dislkie Byron, but he didn't do much for TB last year.

vasteeler
06-05-2010, 06:35 PM
out of the 3 he is the obvious choice but i am really not that confident in either one.

SteelerFanInStl
06-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin went with experience for the starting QB position but it doesn't sound to me like a starter has been named yet.

steelreserve
06-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Methinks it's a bit early to have this settled -- you know, before they've actually started training camp.

Unless it means we've decided Dixon really reeks.

Either way, I'm glad we have the depth we do.

kendawg
06-06-2010, 02:04 AM

you're right ... starting a bum, journey man quarterback, who couldnt even hold D-garrard's jockstrap in jax ... is a decision made with NO BRAINS. ... so yes ... it's a NO-brainer.

You have a third year quarterback that was one pass away from beating the ravens in primetime in their own back yard. ... give me a break. I almost cried when I read this.

hopefully this is just motivation for Dixon in training camp. ... here's the way it works ... you play the young guy unless it looks like you are going to mortgage the whole season because of it ... if you get close to that point ... THEN you put in Lefty. Not to mention this is a chance to showcase dixon to the rest of the league ala shaub.

Think about it, Dennis comes in and goes 3-1 with 60% completion and a TD-INT ratio of 2-1 or even 1-1 ... and you have yourself a 5th round pick that might yield you a 2nd.

X-Terminator
06-06-2010, 10:30 AM
you're right ... starting a bum, journey man quarterback, who couldnt even hold D-garrard's jockstrap in jax ... is a decision made with NO BRAINS. ... so yes ... it's a NO-brainer.

You have a third year quarterback that was one pass away from beating the ravens in primetime in their own back yard. ... give me a break. I almost cried when I read this.

hopefully this is just motivation for Dixon in training camp. ... here's the way it works ... you play the young guy unless it looks like you are going to mortgage the whole season because of it ... if you get close to that point ... THEN you put in Lefty. Not to mention this is a chance to showcase dixon to the rest of the league ala shaub.

Think about it, Dennis comes in and goes 3-1 with 60% completion and a TD-INT ratio of 2-1 or even 1-1 ... and you have yourself a 5th round pick that might yield you a 2nd.

Absolutely not.

I do not understand this fascination with Dixon. What exactly has he done? OK, so he played OK in the Ravens game...but only OK. His numbers were not all that great and he threw the game-losing INT in OT, but none of the Dixon supporters want to consider that. Plus, if they really were sold on Dixon being the QB during Ben's suspension, why then would they spend a pick to bring in Leftwich? That says a LOT right there. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, and he's definitely talented...but he isn't ready yet. I'd rather have the veteran starting over the young QB in situations like this, unless he's a Roethlisberger-type, and Dixon ain't no Big Ben. Maybe NEXT year, Dixon takes over as the #2 QB, but right now, I'm more comfortable with Leftwich.

fansince'76
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin went with experience for the starting QB position but it doesn't sound to me like a starter has been named yet.

Same here. Sounds like more speculation to me.

X-Terminator
06-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Can't anyone read? This is just Ed Bouchette saying this.

He's been wrong before.

Yeah, that's true. I just like the idea of Leftwich starting because of his experience. Dixon isn't ready yet, IMO.

BuddhaBus
06-06-2010, 11:34 AM
It would be nice to see Dixon bulk up a little before seeing any extended playing time. He does look like a bit of a stick figure running around out there. I'm scared to death a linebacker will come untouched through the line and break him in two.

Chidi29
06-06-2010, 11:35 AM
If Leftwich does end up being the starter, you won't hear any complaints from me. Fully back the move.

However, I'm with ALLD on this one. Where exactly does Dixon fit in? You'd think that if there was ever an opportunity for us to really see what this guy can do, it'd be now. Third year, started once last year, a lot more comfortable in the offense. Is he going to be a backup for all his life? Do you want your backup to have so many unknowns given the limited starting experience? Is he going to be dealt? Who is going to take him without having much tape on him?

Chidi29
06-06-2010, 11:37 AM

You aren't dealing Dixon for a 2nd rounder. That's just laughable. McNabb only went for a second, to put things in perspective.

BuddhaBus
06-06-2010, 11:54 AM
You aren't dealing Dixon for a 2nd rounder. That's just laughable. McNabb only went for a second, to put things in perspective.

I agree. Probably the best we could hope for is a fourth rounder if he gets to show something on the field, and that's pushing it. I'd take that if we could get it, if the team isn't going to allow him to actually be the #2 guy going forward behind Big Ben. That's if they were to keep Lefty for a few years (like Batch). I just think Dixon is better than a 3rd string QB.

Killer
06-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, that's true. I just like the idea of Leftwich starting because of his experience. Dixon isn't ready yet, IMO.

I think the Steelers would do better to let Dixon run the damn ball. Don't make him a pocket passer - force the defense to make mistakes. Just hope his mistakes don't end games. If he isn't ready now, he never will. Give him a chance in camp, that's all.

I know what Lefty will bring with slinging the ball, but when the protection breaks down, he's a pylon. A fumbling pylon.

Ben - go lick Goodell's ass some more - - get it down to 2 games. You can do it boy.

You pick your poison.

Psycho Ward 86
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
If he isn't ready now, he never will.

lol

Killer
06-06-2010, 03:29 PM
lol

Well? Why did they draft him? Let the kid play, Coach Killer says....he's not a pocket passer - free the reins!

We demand entertainment!

Free the inner Kordell....go for it Dixon!

I'm on your side.

BuddhaBus
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Well? Why did they draft him? Let the kid play, Coach Killer says....he's not a pocket passer - free the reins!

We demand entertainment!

Free the inner Kordell....go for it Dixon!

I'm on your side.

Let's not free ALL of the inner Kordell! :doh2: :lol:

X-Terminator
06-06-2010, 03:41 PM
I think the Steelers would do better to let Dixon run the damn ball. Don't make him a pocket passer - force the defense to make mistakes. Just hope his mistakes don't end games. If he isn't ready now, he never will. Give him a chance in camp, that's all.

I know what Lefty will bring with slinging the ball, but when the protection breaks down, he's a pylon. A fumbling pylon.

Ben - go lick Goodell's ass some more - - get it down to 2 games. You can do it boy.

You pick your poison.

Nope. The bottom line is that if you're going to be a successful QB in the NFL, you have to be able to pass the football. Running QBs have a poor track record of success for a reason, particularly in the playoffs against better competition and defenses loading up to stop the run. Dixon has a strong enough arm and a track record of success passing the ball in college where he can develop into a good pocket passer with the ability to burn teams with his feet. But again, I don't think he's there yet, and evidently the coaching staff doesn't either since he was given so little time with the first-team offense during mini-camp.

Killer
06-06-2010, 03:42 PM
We only need him for a small handful of games. Let him run then use the play action. He can throw too, ya know.

Ben will be back.

Dixon can run like a deer.

Open the fence.

steeldawg
06-06-2010, 04:38 PM
I have very mixed feelings about lefty but i think he is the logical choice

Nadroj 20
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
We only need him for a small handful of games. Let him run then use the play action. He can throw too, ya know.

Ben will be back.

Dixon can run like a deer.

Open the fence.
Yea this isnt like we are deciding our QB for the SEASON....we are looking for a replacement until ben returns. I dont hate the idea of lefty, i just like the idea of DD more. As ive continued to say....there are more options with Dixon...to me Lefty seems a little limited because I dont see how anyone can be too confindent in his throwing especially under some pressure.

HometownGal
06-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Nope. The bottom line is that if you're going to be a successful QB in the NFL, you have to be able to pass the football. Running QBs have a poor track record of success for a reason, particularly in the playoffs against better competition and defenses loading up to stop the run. Dixon has a strong enough arm and a track record of success passing the ball in college where he can develop into a good pocket passer with the ability to burn teams with his feet. But again, I don't think he's there yet, and evidently the coaching staff doesn't either since he was given so little time with the first-team offense during mini-camp.

BINGO. I think Dix has a ton of talent and is Ben's heir apparent, not Lefty, but like you, I just don't believe he is ready to step into a 4 game starter stretch. We want to start the season with the best option at QB next to Ben behind center and imho - the most reliable option is indeed Byron.

Prok
06-06-2010, 09:18 PM
BINGO. I think Dix has a ton of talent and is Ben's heir apparent, not Lefty, but like you, I just don't believe he is ready to step into a 4 game starter stretch. We want to start the season with the best option at QB next to Ben behind center and imho - the most reliable option is indeed Byron.

Not sure why yet but i'm not sold on Dixon being the heir apparent.
I don't mind a scrambling QB but imo a good QB must be able to distribute the ball well too. I think we've all prolly gotten a bit spoiled by the way Ben gets the ball in the hands of a reciever who then can turn any play into a big play as well.
But i agree that Lefty is a guy you can trust to hold the fort until Ben returns. Plus for me i've always liked Lefty and wanted him to succeed.

SteelGhost
06-06-2010, 09:21 PM
I would wait until pre-season to see if BL will be the starter, right now it's too soon IMHO.

steelerdude15
06-06-2010, 10:43 PM
I like this move and think that it's a start one. Leftwich has experience and knows how to play the game. Batch might have the most experience, but he is also much older and Dixon is still learning the game. I'm pretty sure Dixon will be a good starter one day though.

klick81
06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
We are lucky to have Lefty I think. But I was curious to see DD in action again.

kendawg
06-07-2010, 01:19 AM
With this o-line. sheesh. Byron's windup is just as long as ben takes to scramble (kidding) ... i Just don't understand the infatuation with leftwhich. I mean ... people question the infatuation with Dixon ... hell, why is there all this love for Leftwhich. He was a bum the last two years in jax. ... and he was surely a bum last year in tampa. I just don't understand. i guess i'm in the minority, but i'd rather give Dixon a shot and see if he's worth a sh*t than put in Lefty. Not to mention the rewards of Dixon playing well are far more than the rewards of byron leftwhich playing well.

if Dixon played LIGHTS OUT ... i mean ... literally, not saying its going to happen ... I would put the percentage chance at about 10% (BUT JUST HUMOR ME)

say dixon plays the first four games and goes 60% completion with a 7.0 YPA 7-2 TD-INT ratio with 800 yrds passing 150 rushing and a TD.

yes... those are all EXTREMELY hopeful numbers ... but i mean ... FOR THE SAKE OF SAYING ... lets SAYYYYYYY that happens.

ur goign to get far more than a 5th round pick in terms of return on investment.

and please everyone drop the whole (well so and so only went for a blah blah blah round pick this year, that is BS becasue this year is different than any other year with no CBA and cap, etc. etc.)

... just sayin.

kendawg
06-07-2010, 01:25 AM
but literally, this is all silly talk. both of these QB's will get to start atleast one game during preseason ...

... this sure woulda been a nice year to play in the HOF game.

this will be decided in camp. not in OTA's ... so sorry for my passionate defense/love affair with dixon and seeming hate for lefty, neither of which is the reality. I just think, after taking a 2 second breather, that its stupid to even try and speculate.

training camp ... and way more preseason ... will determine the opening day QB.

(who i hope is dixon!)

HometownGal
06-07-2010, 06:52 AM
i Just don't understand the infatuation with leftwhich. I mean ... people question the infatuation with Dixon ... hell, why is there all this love for Leftwhich. He was a bum the last two years in jax. ... and he was surely a bum last year in tampa. I just don't understand. i guess i'm in the minority, but i'd rather give Dixon a shot and see if he's worth a sh*t than put in Lefty. Not to mention the rewards of Dixon playing well are far more than the rewards of byron leftwhich playing well.

I wouldn't necessarily call it "infatuation", but I would call it "confidence" in Lefty being able to successfully fill in for Ben as he did back in 2008. He's not Ben by any stretch of the imagination but imho - he is the most viable option to step in for a 4 game stretch and get the job done. I just don't think Dixon is ready to do that yet.