PDA

View Full Version : Legit 3rd Party Option

Borski
11-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Does anyone think that the Tea Party is strong enough to become its own party?

It's the strongest out of any potential legitimate 3rd party I've seen before even though technically its only part of the Republican Party now.

In my opinion there needs to be a legit 3rd party to provide more balance and do away with the corrupt 2 party system.

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the Tea Party 100% but I think it would broaden the choices and make an overall more fair election.

They might not be strong enough right off the bat, but I think if done right within a few elections they could be a legit contender.

GBMelBlount
11-15-2010, 11:07 PM

In my opinion there needs to be a legit 3rd party to provide more balance and do away with the corrupt 2 party system.

I don't necessarily agree with everything in the Tea Party 100% but I think it would broaden the choices and make an overall more fair election.

They might not be strong enough right off the bat, but I think if done right within a few elections they could be a legit contender.

Thanks for posting Borski.

If I'm not mistaken, the tea party most closely believes in the prinicples of the founders of our country.

I do believe in the principles this country was founded upon as I believe you do.

However, what I wonder is if the tea party becomes a third party would it fracture the the conservative vote and perhaps result in a democratic victory when the majority is actually conservatives split between the tea party and republicans?

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 11:18 PM
If the Tea Party does become its own party, it will definitely fracture the Republican Party and siphon voters away from them. Which IMO would be exactly what the Democrats hope would happen. It would be more beneficial if they worked together to form a stronger Republican Party, but they're going to have to get some help from the Republican establishment, some of whom aren't real fond of the Tea Party movement.

Borski
11-15-2010, 11:42 PM
If the Tea Party does become its own party, it will definitely fracture the Republican Party and siphon voters away from them. Which IMO would be exactly what the Democrats hope would happen. It would be more beneficial if they worked together to form a stronger Republican Party, but they're going to have to get some help from the Republican establishment, some of whom aren't real fond of the Tea Party movement.

I can see that happening at first, but I think over time things would level out to:

Tea Party = Conservative
Republicans = Moderate
Democrats = Liberal

In the short team it might not be a good thing, but overall after things level out I think it would be good for the country.

Wallace108
11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
Good discussion topic, Borski.

There are a lot of people out there who already view the tea party as a quasi third party. But that couldn't be farther from the truth. The misconception is because of the word "party."

The mainstream media has given the impression that the "tea party" is one group. But there's no such thing as a collective "tea party." Numerous groups across the country have latched on to the "tea party" name, but there's nothing that ties them together. A lot of the different "tea party" groups don't share the same beliefs and/or goals. In fact, some of the groups even despise each other.

In order for the movement to turn into a legitimate third party, there needs to be a leader and some organization. But a lot of the people I've talked to and have heard speak are dead-set against that. I've heard some of the early "leaders" of various tea party groups say that if there comes a time when they are organized under one umbrella and have official leaders, that's when they're getting out.

GoSlash27
11-16-2010, 06:08 AM
The TEA Party isn't a political party, it's a movement. We have no intention of forming a third party.

Godfather
11-16-2010, 07:57 AM
A third party inspired by the Tea Party would need to take a clear stand on constitutional government across the board. That means leave the social issues at home and attack right-wing big government programs like the War on Drugs or government snooping on American citizens. That would attract some people on the left who don't trust government power and build a viable coalition.

LLT
11-16-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm all for a "Representative Party".

A party that:

1) Fronts candidates that literally vote according to the wishes of their constituents. It doesnt matter what the candidates opinions are...it doesnt matter where the candidate stands on the issues. They represent the desires of their constituency....period.

2) They hold town meetings and buy network time to make sure the public is knowledgable on whatever bills are going before Congress. Then they let the public decide how the representative is to vote.

3) The run for two terms..and they are done. Their coffers are used for educating their constituents through the media instead of preparing for reelection.

oneforthetoe
11-16-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm sick of politics so I am forming the keg party. Anyone want to join?

GoSlash27
11-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I'm all for a "Representative Party".

A party that:

1) Fronts candidates that literally vote according to the wishes of their constituents. It doesnt matter what the candidates opinions are...it doesnt matter where the candidate stands on the issues. They represent the desires of their constituency....period.

2) They hold town meetings and buy network time to make sure the public is knowledgable on whatever bills are going before Congress. Then they let the public decide how the representative is to vote.

3) The run for two terms..and they are done. Their coffers are used for educating their constituents through the media instead of preparing for reelection.

LLT,
the Constitution must come first, with the will of the people second.

GoSlash27
11-16-2010, 12:09 PM
A third party inspired by the Tea Party would need to take a clear stand on constitutional government across the board. That means leave the social issues at home and attack right-wing big government programs like the War on Drugs or government snooping on American citizens. That would attract some people on the left who don't trust government power and build a viable coalition.

Godfather,
We already have that party. It's the Libertarians.

LLT
11-16-2010, 12:24 PM
LLT,
the Constitution must come first, with the will of the people second.

Totally agree with that...everything I said can still be accomplished in letting the people voice their choices within the framework of the constitution and existing law.

7SteelGal43
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I think the tea party will operate within the GOP and try to take it back to it's conservative roots. If the GOP goes back to business as usual after this monstrous victory (of which the tea party was a huge part) however, the GOP will be dead and tea party will form it's own party.

st33lersguy
11-16-2010, 07:17 PM
I don't think they should form a 3rd party, I think they should continue to assimilate into and purify the republican party and kick out all the phony republicans (rinos). There was already a few true conservatives who stuck to the constitution in the republican party in the recent years before the tea party and more are coming in. We can't take votes away from those people

The WH
11-17-2010, 03:18 PM
I want to form a ''I take bribes'' party. People should appreciate my honesty.

Borski
11-17-2010, 04:00 PM
The problem in my opinion is the 2 Part system, we need a legit 3rd part to make things more honest. Ideally I'd hope that would be the libertarian Party but I feel like the Tea Party breaking off is more likely. In any case I'd just be glad to have a 3rd option that actually has a chance.

SteelerEmpire
11-18-2010, 12:05 PM
The plan of the Repubs with the tea party is to be as nice as possible to them, then slowly absorb them into and under the Repub banner... betting that the short memory of the American public will kick in, the movement losing steam, and then BAM... kind of pushing away with one hand and pulling them in with the other. The big fish eat the little fish...

steelerdude15
11-19-2010, 03:22 PM
No, third parties are never strong in our country. They only last for a cycle or two.