PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Lounge: Is It Time To Try Keenan Lewis And/Or Crezdon Butler at Cornerback?

stillers4me
11-15-2010, 05:53 PM
Is It Time To Try Keenan Lewis And/Or Crezdon Butler at Cornerback?

Posted on November 15, 2010 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/time-keenan-lewis-andor-crezdon-butler-cornerback/) by ted (http://www.steelerslounge.com/author/ted/)

There were enough problems with the Steelers in last night’s 39-26 beating at the hands of the visiting Patriots to write a book longer than War and Peace.

But one that was not surprising was seeing future, first-ballot Hall of Famer Tom Brady repeatedly pick on the worst No. 2 and No. 3 combo at cornerback in the NFL in Bryant McFadden and William Gay.

At the start of the game, Brady actually came out and just found holes and seams in the Steelers’ zone defense, instead of targeting specific players on a regular basis. And the No. 1 reason why Pittsburgh’s much-hyped defense was abused all night was a complete lack of a pass rush, with LaMarr Woodley MIA.

By the second quarter, though, Pittsburgh had to start playing more man coverage and that is when Brady went to work on McFadden and especially Gay, who was beaten for three TD passes, all by unathletic tight ends..........

Read more: http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/time-keenan-lewis-andor-crezdon-butler-cornerback/#more-2938

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Do we know the extent of Butler's injury?

Steeltreal
11-15-2010, 08:19 PM
After Keenan Lewis shoved Mewelde Moore his own player from downing the punt to be the 1st guy to touch after knowingly going out of bounds. You gotta question how smart the guy is.

stillers4me
11-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Didn't Lewis screw up an onsides kick one other time?

Count Steeler
11-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Yes.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 09:16 PM
Didn't Lewis screw up an onsides kick one other time?

I think plays involving footballs bouncing unpredictably on the ground are more excusable. He's probably not playing because he hasn't grasped the defense. I don't think his skills as a cover corner are at all in question.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2010, 09:23 PM
To be fair, special teams isnt a good gauge of how good a player you are on offense or defense

steelpride12
11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
To be fair, special teams isnt a good gauge of how good a player you are on offense or defense
anything is better right now than what Gay has brought to the secondary.

Doc
11-15-2010, 10:01 PM
IMO, we gotta stop with the 3 and 4 man rushes. Bring the heat. Don't let the guy stand back there and find 22, then look 10 yards ahead of him to the receiver he is allegedly covering.

NCSteeler
11-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Woodley has been MIA all season. Think he's playing soft considering his contract situation?

steelreserve
11-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Gay has done nothing but suck a dirty ass all season. And last season too. I think it's time to start trying out other people. They certainly can't do any worse than getting burned for 3 TDs.

solardave
11-16-2010, 01:44 AM
QUOTE=Doc;91595]IMO, we gotta stop with the 3 and 4 man rushes. Bring the heat. Don't let the guy stand back there and find 22, then look 10 yards ahead of him to the receiver he is allegedly covering.[/QUOTE]

Well put "Allegedly".:nod:

BuddhaBus
11-16-2010, 03:50 AM
Woodley has been MIA all season. Think he's playing soft considering his contract situation?

I doubt it. That only serves to hurt him if he becomes a free agent. His price would go down if he's perceived to be a sulker or a player that gives less than 100% when he's not happy. As great as Randy Moss can be, only one team wanted him after the Vikings released him for this same reason. If I'm not mistaken, Woodley started slow last year as well and turned it on later in the season. Maybe he's just a slow starter?

Galax Steeler
11-16-2010, 04:27 AM
I would be willing to give anything a try we need to stop the pass if we are going anywhere this season.

shinoff2183
11-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Not sure if you guys noticed but taylor has been beat his fair share of times, and people praise him. I dont see anything special with him either.

Galax Steeler
11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
Not sure if you guys noticed but taylor has been beat his fair share of times, and people praise him. I dont see anything special with him either.

At this point he is our best corner yes I agree he is getting beat but not as bad and often as the other corners.

LLT
11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Lewis has to show some maturity before he is given McFaddens slot. The last time he started at CB...he was flagged twice for unsportmanlike conduct, and then put his fist through a glass sign in the locker room area. All this was done while he KNEW he was under the microscope in regards to having a chance as a starter.

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Ok. Here's the thing. When we start playing man to man, and we're putting our nickel corner on a bigger TE, there is almost always going to be a matchup problem no matter who the corner is. I make no excuses for Willie Gay, and that 1st TD may have had a chance to be batted away, but as much as it hurts to say, that was a great, threaded pass into a tight window. On the other two... he was beat pretty deep over the middle, so you should also be asking yourselves where the saftey help was.

Our pass rush was a non-factor. That's what it boils down to. You can't give an average QB all that time. Let alone a Tom Brady. He simply picked us apart. We did not create enough pressure with the guys up front. The End.

JayC
11-16-2010, 11:11 AM

ike isn't a top cb in the league but he sure isn't chop liver like the other guys. i see ike competing out there so that's why you won't see me complaining a ton about him [yet]. plus, he has to cover the other teams number 1 or 2 WR where these other guys should have it alot easier then him.

if i recall, it was Tj houshmandzadeh that owned us at the end of the ravens game, not boldin. if i recall, it was Bess that owned us vs miami, not marshall. if i recall, it was tight ends that owned us vs the patriots, not some wr. if i recall it was lance moore that owned us vs the saints, not colston.