PDA

View Full Version : I'm done defending William Gay

Godfather
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Last year I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was still young and because the injuries to Polamalu and Smith were putting the defense in a tough position.

But he's shown no improvement, even with Troy back there. We need to address the secondary in the next draft.

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 10:36 AM
I think it's time to put one of the other young cb's on the field in place of Gay....can't be any worse than it is now and it's the only way these youngsters will gain experience.

Steel12
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
He is by far the worst player on the defense. But we keep putting him out on the field.

ALLD
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
He is a good STer, but is targeted by opponent's offenses.

SteelerFanInStl
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
He sucks, no question. If the young guys can't get on the field before him, that's not saying much about their ability.

Merchant
11-15-2010, 10:47 AM
He was responsible for all three of Gronkowski's TD catches.. Unacceptable.

VTsteel
11-15-2010, 10:57 AM

Was he? I don't remember for sure . . .

Assuming you're correct - My question would be - Why the hell would we keep putting a 5'10" / 190 lb corner on a 6'6" 265 lb Tight End?

SMR
11-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Assuming you're correct - My question would be - Why the hell would we keep putting a 5'10" / 190 lb corner on a 6'6" 265 lb Tight End?

I am questioning the Steelers coaching staff. Not up to snuff. Inexcusable. Tomlin...wise up fast!

GodfatherofSoul
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Yup, he was. First was a great pass by Brady, but could've been picked had he turned around. Second, he got caught staring at Marcia's beautiful locks in the backfield. Third, he just flat out ran past him.

steelpride12
11-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Yupp this kid should not be on the team or in the line up next Sunday at all for his performance. He has to be replaced even if that means by Lewis or whoever because no one can do as bad as Gay has done for the Steelers. He single evenhandedly gave up 3 TD's and that losses you games.

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 11:09 AM
If Lewis and Butler are way worse than Gay to get on the field...this team is in trouble.

LLT
11-15-2010, 11:21 AM
If Lewis and Butler are way worse than Gay to get on the field...this team is in trouble.

The sad thing is...McFadden isnt much better!!!

I really think this defense is hamstringed by those two CB's....If we had a better than average CB at McFaddens slot...and then moved McFadden to Nickel...I would be MUCH happier.

tube517
11-15-2010, 11:26 AM
The Steelers will never put a rookie (Butler) in there. They rarely do. Only Casey Hampton, Heath Miller, Kendall Simmons and Pouncey are the rare exceptions. Gay was given another chance this year but has failed.

Steeldude
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM
people worried about gay when the starting CB(mcfadden) is just as bad if not worse?

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 11:31 AM
The Steelers will never put a rookie (Butler) in there. They rarely do. Only Casey Hampton, Heath Miller, Kendall Simmons and Pouncey are the rare exceptions. Gay was given another chance this year but has failed.

Well they need to change...the Patriots had 3 rookies starting on defense for them last night and it worked out well for them.
Seems that our teams moto is, "If it's broken, don't fix it"...Kind of goes with their other motto, "if it's working great...STOP!!!!doing it!!!" (Arian's personal favorite)

Raleigh Steel
11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
give willie a break. he chases guys into the endzone better than any player i've seen this season. a close second would be mcfadden.

Steeldude
11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
the Patriots had 3 rookies starting on defense for them last night and it worked out well for them.

but IMO, the patriots are coached a lot better than the steelers.

SteelCityMan786
11-15-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd rather have Keenan Lewis there. He can't do any worse then Gay.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Ding, ding, ding!

I think he had to go against Heap in the red zone last year too and predictably, Heap caught a jump ball for a touchdown.

I'd rather put a linebacker like Timmons on Gronkowski, especially in the red zone when there's less of a chance of getting burnt. Or give Gay some help over the top. It's a total mismatch that wasn't addressed. We're asking Gay to do something he simply isn't capable of doing.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't think McFadden was that bad. It's all a product of playing our corners off to avoid getting beat over the top. That's the way we always play.

I see no difference between this game and the Falcons game where Ryan went to the comeback out a dozen times. That's a tough throw to make and we're going to force offenses to consistently do it. Unforunately for us, Brady is a guy who can.

Godfather
11-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I'd like to see Lewis and Butler the rest of the year. We need to know what we have at CB going into the draft--and we have long-term needs on the D line and at safety with all of our stars at those positions over 30.

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2010, 02:13 PM

Yea. I'm glad I wasen't the only one that noticed that. Time to get rid of his Gay azz....

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
I'd like to see Lewis and Butler the rest of the year. We need to know what we have at CB going into the draft--and we have long-term needs on the D line and at safety with all of our stars at those positions over 30.

+1 Gotta give them some live game reps.

43Hitman
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah I'm done defending Gay too, since apparently he is done defending wideouts and tight ends.

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah I'm done defending Gay too, since apparently he is done defending wideouts and tight ends.

Very nice!! :lol:

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 02:40 PM
+1 Gotta give them some live game reps.

Butler was active for the first time all year. Ended up suffering a quad injury.

steel9guy
11-15-2010, 02:48 PM
William Gay is a draft mistake.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Keenan Lewis looked good in pre-season. Had an attitude too. At this point, I'd take Hank "I just got beat" Poteat back over Gay.

Steeldude
11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
could the DB coach, ray horton, be the problem?

Steeldude
11-15-2010, 03:03 PM
i am willing to bet that mcfadden has been burned more times than gay this year.

Bluecoat96
11-15-2010, 03:06 PM

I had wondered the same thing.

I don't know if I'm crazy or not, but I remember watching a game where John Lynch was doing some commentary. I remember him being asked if he'd ever thought about coaching and he said he had and that his friend Mike Tomlin had tried to talk him into coaching...hmm...food for thought?

Devilsdancefloor
11-15-2010, 03:27 PM
if gay can not stay with a TE no way in hell he is gonna stay with a slot WR in the nickle. he needs to plant his ass on the bench for a few games or just play ST. i really want to see what Lewis has to offer.

43Hitman
11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
i am willing to bet that mcfadden has been burned more times than gay this year.

That would make sense since he is on the field more than Gay.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Again, attribute it to the scheme telling the corner to play off. We let teams have the underneath route.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 04:02 PM

McFadden made a play on the ball in the end zone last night and prevented a TD. Gay was burned THREE TIMES by a TE. He sucked last year too. Ike seems to be doing okay.

Godfather
11-15-2010, 04:16 PM
Keenan Lewis looked good in pre-season. Had an attitude too. At this point, I'd take Hank "I just got beat" Poteat back over Gay.

Good to hear. Maybe if we have Lewis and Face Me Ike as our starters and B-Mac at nickel we'll be OK for 2011. When Clark retires Ike can move over and we can get a new corner then.

We reloaded at LB this year so we should be set for a long time. Now we just have to worry about the next Troy, the next Casey, and a DE on the other side from Ziggy.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 04:21 PM

Good to hear. Maybe if we have Lewis and Face Me Ike as our starters and B-Mac at nickel we'll be OK for 2011. When Clark retires Ike can move over and we can get a new corner then.

We reloaded at LB this year so we should be set for a long time. Now we just have to worry about the next Troy, the next Casey, and a DE on the other side from Ziggy.

I'm lobbying for Lewis to replace Gay. Shit, Timmons is a better nickle corner than Gay at the moment. Maybe we should run a 4-4-3.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 04:25 PM
Lewis just recently got a hat on special teams. He has to earn a role on defense first. The same case with Butler.

Count Steeler
11-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Lewis just recently got a hat on special teams. He has to earn a role on defense first. The same case with Butler.

And in the meantime our defense looks like crap? Time to shake it up. Rookies can make big impacts when they are leaned on. Or they will fail, and at least we can say we tried something different. Gay and McFadden have proven they can't get the job done.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 04:34 PM
Not in this case. It's not like Ziggy Hood beat anyone out for the job. He's there out of necessity. Gay cannot handle the job. We need to see if Lewis can.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 04:39 PM
Not in this case. It's not like Ziggy Hood beat anyone out for the job. He's there out of necessity. Gay cannot handle the job. We need to see if Lewis can.

Hood's case was different as their was an injury. And it's not like Hood didn't have any playing time before Aaron got hurt.

If you can avoid it, you don't give someone playing time if they don't deserve it. Does Lewis deserve it? I don't know, but if he isn't doing enough in practices to get him out on defense, he isn't going to do anything in games.

JayC
11-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Again, attribute it to the scheme telling the corner to play off. We let teams have the underneath route.

i'm honestly sick of the excuse that our scheme is the reason we have terrible cbs. these guys would be terrible in any scheme. plus, mcfadden sucked for arizona last year and they don't run lebeau's scheme.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 04:44 PM
Hood's case was different as their was an injury. And it's not like Hood didn't have any playing time before Aaron got hurt.

If you can avoid it, you don't give someone playing time if they don't deserve it. Does Lewis deserve it? I don't know, but if he isn't doing enough in practices to get him out on defense, he isn't going to do anything in games.

Team need, period. Gay has shown he can't be depended on. Something needs to be done now rather than later. If not Lewis, then whom ever is next in line. What's the worse that could happen? Giving up three TD's to a TE?

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:16 PM
i'm honestly sick of the excuse that our scheme is the reason we have terrible cbs. these guys would be terrible in any scheme. plus, mcfadden sucked for arizona last year and they don't run lebeau's scheme.

We only got beat deep what, once? McFadden, as mentioned, had a beautfiul breakup in the end zone that saved a touchdown.

When offenses are running slants, hitches, and comebacks against passive zones, they're going to complete a high amount of passes. Don't forget what a solid tackler McFadden is and how physical he is against the run. You want to bench him right before we face run heavy Oakland?

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:18 PM
Team need, period. Gay has shown he can't be depended on. Something needs to be done now rather than later. If not Lewis, then whom ever is next in line. What's the worse that could happen? Giving up three TD's to a TE?

I'm fine for giving Lewis more reps in practice to try and prove himself, but I'm not giving him a bigger defensive role unless he first does it in practice. Anything else sets a bad precedent and is really a panicky, emotional move.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:19 PM
We only got beat deep what, once? McFadden, as mentioned, had a beautfiul breakup in the end zone that saved a touchdown.

When offenses are running slants, hitches, and comebacks against passive zones, they're going to complete a high amount of passes. Don't forget what a solid tackler McFadden is and how physical he is against the run. You want to bench him right before we face run heavy Oakland?

They didn't beat us with the run last year. If Gay is on Ford, we're 6-4.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm fine for giving Lewis more reps in practice to try and prove himself, but I'm not giving him a bigger defensive role unless he first does it in practice. Anything else sets a bad precedent and is really a panicky, emotional move.

No it's not. Gay didn't even know what his responsibility was; Troy had to tell him. Gay is a liability. I'm not being panicky; I'm asking for an answer to the definitive question. Who can really justify Gay keeping his job? We drafted two corners and brought back McFadden for a reason. What we should have done was parted ways with Gay and kept Townsend. Anytime we get beat on a pass, there is #22 trailing behind all the way to the endzone. Gay doesn't deserve his role.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
They didn't beat us with the run last year. If Gay is on Ford, we're 6-4.

But they've been running the ball to win games this year. McFadden is one of the leading rushers.

Maybe if Gay ever got safety help instead of being put in mismatches over the middle in Cover 2 instead of running a Cover 3....

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:30 PM
No it's not. Gay didn't even know what his responsibility was; Troy had to tell him. Gay is a liability. I'm not being panicky; I'm asking for an answer to the definitive question. Who can really justify Gay keeping his job? We drafted two corners and brought back McFadden for a reason. What we should have done was parted ways with Gay and kept Townsend. Anytime we get beat on a pass, there is #22 trailing behind all the way to the endzone. Gay doesn't deserve his role.

You don't know what the assignment was. We know Troy guesses. For all we know Troy went on instinct and that caused the confusion.

The team is putting Gay in terrible situation after terrible situation. Cover Owens in the slot with no help over the middle? The sae with Gronkowski? What did the team think was going to happen.

I'd rather us play Cover 3 to let us have a safety take the middle and let McFadden or Ike go one-on-one down the sideline than Gay being one-on-one over the middle against a guy six inches taller than him.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:36 PM
But they've been running the ball to win games this year. McFadden is one of the leading rushers.

Maybe if Gay ever got safety help instead of being put in mismatches over the middle in Cover 2 instead of running a Cover 3....

You must not have watched them beat the Chiefs.

Rookie TE on a CB is a mismatch? Okay.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:40 PM
You don't know what the assignment was. We know Troy guesses. For all we know Troy went on instinct and that caused the confusion.

The team is putting Gay in terrible situation after terrible situation. Cover Owens in the slot with no help over the middle? The sae with Gronkowski? What did the team think was going to happen.

I'd rather us play Cover 3 to let us have a safety take the middle and let McFadden or Ike go one-on-one down the sideline than Gay being one-on-one over the middle against a guy six inches taller than him.

Troy has guessed yes, but it didn't appear to me that he was guessing there. And I've heard nothing to say he was. In fact, what I do keep hearing is confirmation that Gay is a liability. Are you related to the guy or something?? Timmons could have covered Gronkowski. Gay sucks, period. Safety help isn't going to change that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2010, 05:40 PM

I dont get this statement. Are you advocating that Gay needs safety help to cover the rookie TE deep? A cb should not be getting outrun by a TE unless that guy is Vernon Davis and running a 4.4.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2010, 05:46 PM

Nobody in NFL football is gonna give a CB safety help over the middle in a hook-curl zone. You committ extra bodies to not getting beat deep and have the LB's drop to take away short zones. For years its why DeShea Townsend, Mike Logan, Jason Simmons got the nickel corner role and actually covered somebody.

Steelers d line needs to get a push on the QB no matter if Gay sucks or not. The lack of a push by the line is just making him look even worse than he is.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:50 PM
Nobody in NFL football is gonna give a CB safety help over the middle in a hook-curl zone. You committ extra bodies to not getting beat deep and have the LB's drop to take away short zones. For years its why DeShea Townsend, Mike Logan, Jason Simmons got the nickel corner role and actually covered somebody.

Steelers d line needs to get a push on the QB no matter if Gay sucks or not. The lack of a push by the line is just making him look even worse than he is.

I agree to an extent Gonz. Our D-Line is not getting anywhere near the push we're used to. But Gronkowski got open pretty easily last night. With the exception of that first TD pass which was just a great throw and decent coverage by Gay. He still seems to have been beat though.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Troy has guessed yes, but it didn't appear to me that he was guessing there. And I've heard nothing to say he was. In fact, what I do keep hearing is confirmation that Gay is a liability. Are you related to the guy or something?? Timmons could have covered Gronkowski. Gay sucks, period. Safety help isn't going to change that.

If it comes down to blaming Troy or Gay, Gay will always get the blame. He has struggled, but he's become a scapegoat for a defense that as a whole struggled mightily.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 05:57 PM
If it comes down to blaming Troy or Gay, Gay will always get the blame. He has struggled, but he's become a scapegoat for a defense that as a whole struggled mightily.

Aside from sacks, when was the last time he made a play? Don't even think about comparing him to Troy. Troy has a history of making plays and changing games. Gay may change the game, but not in our favor.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 05:59 PM

I was referring to doing so in the red zone where you have less of a chance of getting beat deep because of the end zone.

On the first TD, Gay has blanket coverage in front of him. Clark, who gets over late because of the deep route, can't cover the throw over the top in time. You can't fan out your safties and leave Gay one-on-one in the middle of the field with the likes of an athletic tight end who has size on him or as we saw last week, one-on-one with Owens who is playing out of his mind. Gay has obvious limitations and we're not doing anything about it.

I agree with your last statement. Not getting pressure makes any secondary look bad.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Aside from sacks, when was the last time he made a play? Don't even think about comparing him to Troy. Troy has a history of making plays and changing games. Gay may change the game, but not in our favor.

I'm not calling Gay Troy. Not even close obviously. But I'm talking about the easy scapegoats fans go to. Arians is another one. There are bigger issues than Gay's struggles.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:03 PM
I dont get this statement. Are you advocating that Gay needs safety help to cover the rookie TE deep? A cb should not be getting outrun by a TE unless that guy is Vernon Davis and running a 4.4.

Yes, it's a total mismatch.

Gronkowski is a big, athletic tight end. Not of the Davis variety but athletic nonetheless. In the red zone where the big guys are so often targeted, don't put Gay one-on-one. Let Ike go one-on-one with Tate. He's less of a threat than Gronk.

Just like when Gay went one-on-one with Owens last week and went single coverage on Todd Heap down on the goalline last year. The coaching staff puts Gay in the worst situations possible.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm not calling Gay Troy. Not even close obviously. But I'm talking about the easy scapegoats fans go to. Arians is another one. There are bigger issues than Gay's struggles.
It's not just the fans. It's the fans, the sports reporters (locally and nationally) and if that's not enough, Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski obviously knew where to go for points. It's also not just week 10.

Gay got underneath Gronkowski on the redzone, but he was beaten. If he knew what he was doing, he could have broken the pass up at minimum. Had that play been on the 50, it would have been a 50 yard TD.

Teams have won Super Bowls in cover 2. Including the Steelers.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Gronkowski is a big, athletic tight end. Not of the Davis variety but athletic nonetheless. In the red zone where the big guys are so often targeted, don't put Gay one-on-one. Let Ike go one-on-one with Tate. He's less of a threat than Gronk.

Just like when Gay went one-on-one with Owens last week and went single coverage on Todd Heap down on the goalline last year. The coaching staff puts Gay in the worst situations possible.

Normally it'd be a safety or a linebacker covering the TE. Instead, we put our nickle on him. The mismatch SHOULD have been in our favor; not the other way around. It was a favorable mismatch for N.E. because Gay ssssssucks!

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Normally it'd be a safety or a linebacker covering the TE. Instead, we put our nickle on him. The mismatch SHOULD have been in our favor; not the other way around. It was a favorable mismatch for N.E. because Gay ssssssucks!

This TE isn't an ordinary tight end. A lot of tight ends today aren't tight ends of even a few years ago. Their big and athletic. Gronkowski was regarded as an athletic tight end coming out of Arizona. A receiver in a tight ends body and they showed that be lining him up in the slot. Gay isn't a speedster and we know that. I wouldn't be surprised if Gronkowski is as fast as Gay. That's the way the game is evolving.

We were showing some Tampa 2 looks against the Packers last year going up against Jermicheal Finley. Dropped Timmons into the deep middle. I can't say for sure whether or not we did that throughout the game, I'll try to look for it when I re-watch the game, but I would have rather gone to that.

And as stated, this isn't the first time Gay has been put in a difficult situation. Owens last week and Heap last year. The coaching staff thinks Gay is Ike Taylor when in reality, he's only a scrappy corner who is a solid tackler and can play the run. To me, they are asking him to do things he simply can't do.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
This TE isn't an ordinary tight end. A lot of tight ends today aren't tight ends of even a few years ago. Their big and athletic. Gronkowski was regarded as an athletic tight end coming out of Arizona. A receiver in a tight ends body and they showed that be lining him up in the slot. Gay isn't a speedster and we know that. I wouldn't be surprised if Gronkowski is as fast as Gay. That's the way the game is evolving.

We were showing some Tampa 2 looks against the Packers last year going up against Jermicheal Finley. Dropped Timmons into the deep middle. I can't say for sure whether or not we did that throughout the game, I'll try to look for it when I re-watch the game, but I would have rather gone to that.

And as stated, this isn't the first time Gay has been put in a difficult situation. Owens last week and Heap last year. The coaching staff thinks Gay is Ike Taylor when in reality, he's only a scrappy corner who is a solid tackler and can play the run. To me, they are asking him to do things he simply can't do.

Any NFL CB should be able to cover any NFL TE. Phenoms like Vernon Davis, Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzales are that they are faster than LB's and stronger than CB's. Gay is faster than McFadden who is a starter. He's just dumb.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2010, 06:39 PM

Yeah, true story.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Any NFL CB should be able to cover any NFL TE. Phenoms like Vernon Davis, Shannon Sharpe and Tony Gonzales are that they are faster than LB's and stronger than CB's. Gay is faster than McFadden who is a starter. He's just dumb.

And Gay had good coverage underneath Gronkowski. Brady was able to throw it high and over Gay because there wasn't anything over the top and Gronkowski obviously has the size advantage.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 06:51 PM
And Gay had good coverage underneath Gronkowski. Brady was able to throw it high and over Gay because there wasn't anything over the top and Gronkowski obviously has the size advantage.
He didn't throw it high. He led Gronkowski. Any other CB picks it off.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 06:56 PM

He threw it high and led him. Gay had position underneath, but there's nothing to stop Brady from going over the top. Clark couldn't get over in time after getting fooled into rolling over to the right side.

steelpride12
11-15-2010, 06:57 PM
Check the replay, the TD's were thrown high and pretty much an overall mismatch for Gay, but of course he still did play terrible which is no excuse.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 07:13 PM
Check the replay, the TD's were thrown high and pretty much an overall mismatch for Gay, but of course he still did play terrible which is no excuse.
If I think of it. But I'm pretty sure the first one (you know, the one just moments after Al Micheals said the "Steelers haven't allowed a first quarter TD all year) was low and in front.

Regardless, Gay was beat like a drum all night. Safety help be damned. We should have to babysit him all game. Should have put Timmons on Gronkowski.

Update: I watched the replay and it was a bit high. However Gay was underneath and forward and should have made the play. Gay also bit on play action to leave Gronkowski wide open in the flat to give up a 9 yard TD for number two. He obviously screwed up his assignment and got burnt for the 3rd TD by Gronkowski as well.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 07:22 PM
If I think of it. But I'm pretty sure the first one (you know, the one just moments after Al Micheals said the "Steelers haven't allowed a first quarter TD all year) was low and in front.

Regardless, Gay was beat like a drum all night. Safety help be damned. We should have to babysit him all game. Should have put Timmons on Gronkowski.

Gay was underneath the tight end. The throw went over because there wasn't anyone behind Gay.

All I'm saying is that we're putting Gay in situations we know offenses will take advantage of. We need to do something different.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 07:29 PM
Gay was underneath the tight end. The throw went over because there wasn't anyone behind Gay.

All I'm saying is that we're putting Gay in situations we know offenses will take advantage of. We need to do something different.

Gay was right next to Gronkowski. They were practically hip-to-hip. Gay go schooled. Deshea makes that play and he has almost no speed left. Hell, Timmons breaks that pass up or better. Letting Gay on the field alone is the definition of putting him in situations for the offense to take advantage.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Gay was right next to Gronkowski. They were practically hip-to-hip. Gay go schooled. Deshea makes that play and he has almost no speed left. Hell, Timmons breaks that pass up or better. Letting Gay on the field alone is the definition of putting him in situations for the offense to take advantage.

You're admitting that the speed wasn't the issue by saying they were hip-to-hip. But with Gronkowski's size and Brady's accuracy, Brady could throw it up over Gay and let Gronkowski get it without worry that a safety was going to come over and break it up.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 07:38 PM
You're admitting that the speed wasn't the issue by saying they were hip-to-hip. But with Gronkowski's size and Brady's accuracy, Brady could throw it up over Gay and let Gronkowski get it without worry that a safety was going to come over and break it up.
Gay isn't that much faster than Gronkowski, but he is faster. Gay is just a bone head. He is not a nickle and probably not a dime either. He's apparently got no athleticism either. he's a liability. It would have been interesting to see the differences if Deshea had been in there instead.

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Gay isn't that much faster than Gronkowski, but he is faster. Gay is just a bone head. He is not a nickle and probably not a dime either. He's apparently got no athleticism either. he's a liability. It would have been interesting to see the differences if Deshea had been in there instead.

For what it's worth Deshea got burnt by Lance long last year and was just cut by the Colts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2010, 08:17 PM

Gay is the nickel corner, he gets the slot receivers, TE's and #3 receivers. What you are suggesting is that they play him nickel until they get to the goal line and then put him outside to hide him from taller receivers??? If he is that much of a liability, you are making the case that he should be the #4 CB.

I really dont see many teams taking their starting CB's and putting them on the taller Heath Miller in the red zone and sliding their nickel CB out wide. Why would the Steelers do so, just to hide a 5'10" CB????

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Gay is the nickel corner, he gets the slot receivers, TE's and #3 receivers. What you are suggesting is that they play him nickel until they get to the goal line and then put him outside to hide him from taller receivers??? If he is that much of a liability, you are making the case that he should be the #4 CB.

I really dont see many teams taking their starting CB's and putting them on the taller Heath Miller in the red zone and sliding their nickel CB out wide. Why would the Steelers do so, just to hide a 5'10" CB????

Or have him strictly play zone. Don't ask him to man up an athletic tight end in the red zone if the middle of the field is going to be open. I'd rather have Timmons run with Gronkowski than I would Gay to be honest.

Oh, and don't ask Gay to cover Owens one-on-one and don't put him on Heap at the goalline. Those things usually end badly and they did.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2010, 08:32 PM
Or have him strictly play zone. Don't ask him to man up an athletic tight end in the red zone if the middle of the field is going to be open. I'd rather have Timmons run with Gronkowski than I would Gay to be honest.

Oh, and don't ask Gay to cover Owens one-on-one and don't put him on Heap at the goalline. Those things usually end badly and they did.

Everytime we played zone, Brady ate us alive with short passes EVERYWHERE

Chidi29
11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Everytime we played zone, Brady ate us alive with short passes EVERYWHERE

Then at least do it in the red zone where they weren't just going short but running deeper routes. The seam route to Gronk for the first score and the corner route on the 3rd TD.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
For what it's worth Deshea got burnt by Lance long last year and was just cut by the Colts.
Not sure why they cut him. He broke up pass after pass by them two weeks ago? three weeks ago? Well, now's our chance to give Gay the boot.

NJarhead
11-15-2010, 09:02 PM

He'd give us away if we did that.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2010, 09:42 PM
It's really retarded that Gay had to cover Todd Heap, T.O, and Gronkowski among his many mismatches, but you'd think he'd win the battle at least one time...

JayC
11-15-2010, 09:47 PM
this sums up gay's time in pittsburgh thus far. no more excuses anymore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D65TCM3QhrQ