PDA

View Full Version : Despite the score ... (silver lining?)

steelreserve
11-15-2010, 02:05 AM
Did it escape anyone's notice that if our receivers could've just hung on to the ball in the end zone, this would've actually been a competitive game that we had a chance to win?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying we deserved to win. We were clearly outplayed, and we had no answer for the dink-and-dunk. But despite the fact that we were getting our shit ruined and appeared to have NO consistency on offense, we actually came within a whisker of scoring enough points to pull it off. Think about it: If Wallace and Randle El just hold on to the ball, that's 14 points instead of 3 points and a missed field goal. Two trips to the goal line and nothing to show for it. It completely changes the game.

Yes, I know that's all theoretical, and when it came down to it, we didn't execute when we needed to and basically got our asses handed to us as a result. But if we can play that badly and still be a couple of plays away from pulling a win out of our hat, it says a lot.

I hope we face this team again in the playoffs, because I think we'll beat them, and Tom Brady will suffer a fractured vagina and go cry about it all offseason while he wears a GQ outfit and eats expensive lunches on an outdoor balcony in Florence. Bank on it.

(also note: we are in Vegas, and glad we won our teaser bet of the Patriots +10.5 and the over at 39. And also $100 in 5 minutes by counting cards at blackjack. Pretty solid evening on the gambling front.)

SirHulka
11-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Did it escape anyone's notice that if our receivers could've just hung on to the ball in the end zone, this would've actually been a competitive game that we had a chance to win?

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying we deserved to win. We were clearly outplayed, and we had no answer for the dink-and-dunk. But despite the fact that we were getting our shit ruined and appeared to have NO consistency on offense, we actually came within a whisker of scoring enough points to pull it off. Think about it: If Wallace and Randle El just hold on to the ball, that's 14 points instead of 3 points and a missed field goal. Two trips to the goal line and nothing to show for it. It completely changes the game.

And IF Stuckey holds on to the ball in OT, and IF we hold on to the lead in those 3 games we had the lead in the 4th quarter, then the Browns would be 7-2 right now.
Don't beat yourself up about IF. It doesn't do any good, and it doesn't change anything.

I'm just pissed that you guy couldn't even get Marcia's uniform dirty.

steelreserve
11-15-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm just pissed that you guy couldn't even get Marcia's uniform dirty.

I'm pissed about that too. I seriously question what the hell we were doing on defense. It seemed like more often than not, we were rushing 3-4 guys and trying to play coverage with no pressure, which doesn't work whether we're playing the Patriots or the '08 Lions. The defense depends on being aggressive and shifty, and we win or lose by that. If we went after Brady and still lost, so be it. I walk away from this game feeling like we didn't even take our best shot on defense, and we have nobody else to blame for that. Except the offense, for fucking up too.

oneforthetoe
11-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Positive is difficult at the moment. One thing ... we don't play a single other team the week after that team plays the Browns. Really, an ingenious strategy employed by the Browns as of late. Since Cleveland can only beat us roughly once every time we elect a new president, they have obviously decided to employ this new masterful plan. They come out and start waling on teams that will play us the next week. Those teams are so embarrassed to have been trounced by the color of poo that they come out firing on all cylinders against us the following week. Well, played Cleveland ... well played.

Galax Steeler
11-15-2010, 03:59 AM
There was alot of missed oppertunites last night we didn't execute very well and dropped some passes we should have had. We need to get better in the redzone and start getting some touchdowns.

Austin87
11-15-2010, 04:52 AM
We didn't play well and we lost. We are still 6-3 and the remaining schedule isn't tough at all.

stillers4me
11-15-2010, 05:16 AM
The Raiders, Jets, Bengals, and Browns aren't going to be tough?? That leaves the Bils and the Panthers. Look who we lost to last year.

zulater
11-15-2010, 06:26 AM
My silver lining?

Just because Ben racked up the majority of his yardage in garbage time doesn't mean that he and the receivers wont benifit from it going foward. I think Ben's been somehwat tenative with his passing, the accuracy comes and goes, he and his receivers haven't been in great sync with each other. I think airing it out virtually every down in the 4th quarter might go a long ways towards solving those problems.

We'll see i suppose?

Raleigh Steel
11-15-2010, 06:30 AM

um, the pats shot themselves in the foot all first half. receivers were wide open and dropping passes that would have kept drives alive, and they had a few penalties that put them in 3rd and extremely long situations so we weren't the only team to drop passes. besides, if the pats don't go into a prevent defense early in the 3rd quarter, we may have not found the end zone all night.

SirHulka
11-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Positive is difficult at the moment. One thing ... we don't play a single other team the week after that team plays the Browns. Really, an ingenious strategy employed by the Browns as of late.

:toofunny::rofl2::toofunny:

tube517
11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Can't take anything for granted anymore. Any given Sunday.

We didn't play well and we lost. We are still 6-3 and the remaining schedule isn't tough at all.

Steeltreal
11-15-2010, 09:23 AM
3 Redzone Trips inside the 10 no less, and Arians refuses to use a fullback and run the godamn ball. When he does call runs its almost always up the middle for minimal gain unless the RB can bounce it outside and juke 2-3 players. Does he not have a toss or sweep in his playbook? The RBs needing to improvise to make a play doesnt work. Ben has the ability to make a play out of nothing in the passing game. But this run game is very weak and overrated.

The Duke
11-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Somewhat agree

But my silver lining- everyone will get their heads out of their asses after that humiliation

and the offense knows it can move at will, and could (should) start doing it

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 09:49 AM
Silver Lining

Ben didn't get hurt with that o-line.
Mendy played well when he did get carries.
Moore looked really good out of the backfield. Wild Cat?
Wallace is a future star in the league.

steel striker
11-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Well we all know that we got it handed to us last night but, Brady seems to always torch are defense. Like Dino said Wallace looks pretty good and, look the sky is not falling. The ravens lost so, it is time to move and get ready for the raiders. Last nights game is history and, we can't change nothing. We left alot points out on the field again. If we can fix the red zone problems that would be a good start. You can't give Brady all night to throw the ball or bad things will happen. It was just a bad game thats all. Considering all the pressure Ben was under I thought he played pretty well. Lets face it he was running for his life.

43Hitman
11-15-2010, 02:05 PM
I swear this is deja vu. Weren't we all trying to find silver linings about this time last year too? I'm concerned about this team ability to dig deep anymore, there was absolutely no energy on the Steelers sidelines last night; and to me, that is very telling.

ALLD
11-15-2010, 02:59 PM
We haven't been consistant in the red zone since Whiz was OC.

Moose
11-15-2010, 05:22 PM
"IF" "IF" "IF" BULLCRAP !! IF a frog could fly he wouldn't smack his ass on the ground either ! What you're saying is that IF we scored more points than N.E. we would have won. Damn, now there's a theory. Let's just admit, we were beaten down, dragged around, asses thumped, and made to look like a punch of sissies. We couldn't pick up a first down.....they were picking up first downs on their first plays. They'd drive down the field easily with NO pressure on Brady, none on their WR's and scored at ease. I believe they could have scored MORE points if they actually wanted. We couldn't cover a baby with a blanket, and our receivers were so bad they couldn't catch a cold. Who in the hell taught our CB's the way to cover a receiver is give them a 5 yrd cushion.....then run WITH them and try to push them out of bounds..pathetic coverage. I hate it....always have. Our CB's are amongst the worst in the league. I like Tomlin so far, but he needs to go to Harrison and Troy and let them play the way they are so good at. I think Harrison really played soft the past few games....afraid of the fines/suspensions but his play is showing it. Troy is no where to be found anymore. I could go on and on....this ISN'T Steeler football the past few weeks. UGH>.... sorry for spouting, thanks for letting me vent.

steelreserve
11-16-2010, 12:41 AM
The Raiders, Jets, Bengals, and Browns aren't going to be tough?? That leaves the Bils and the Panthers. Look who we lost to last year.

Except for the Jets, I think that's exactly right. We ought to stomp all those guys' dicks in the dirt.