PDA

View Full Version : Its starting to look like last year all over again.....

XxKnightxX
11-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Last year 6-2 and coming off a great win against Denver, we go against the Bungholes and we all know what happened next. Keep in mind the injuries as well

This year, 6-2 against the bungholes, got demolished by the Pats and here come the raiders.

Idk if its me but Belichick exposed every weakness in our team, this is like a full course meal to the coaches and scouts in film terms. And here come the Raiders who suck yet have beat us the past two times.
Im not being a pessmist, but the way your defense cant stop the Pass, the injuries on the D line and the loss of Starks and Kemo being hurt, we better buckle our chinstraps and get back to earth.
Sad to say I wasnt surprised we lost today, Discouraged? Yes but still, That was embarrasing.

P.S. Fire Bruce Arians

steel9guy
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
Not to be a pessimist but I agree 100%. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are killing us and Kemeoutu and Colon and Starks are killers as well. This is eerily similar to last season.

Austin87
11-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Not to be a pessimist but I agree 100%. Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are killing us and Kemeoutu and Colon and Starks are killers as well. This is eerily similar to last season.

+1

Raleigh Steel
11-15-2010, 06:20 AM
i've been saying this since the ravens game. i have no faith in this coaching staff with the exception of the special teams and o-line coach. tomlin, lebeau, and especially arians (never had any faith in him), are not getting the job done. this season is gonna get ugly in a hurry if we lose to the raiders this week...which i have no faith we will beat.

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 06:40 AM
For what it's worth, Tomlin did say in his very short post-game conference that he knows he has to be better...

zulater
11-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Jeezus, everyone's putting way too much stock in this one game. Sell, sell, sell, the sky is falling, everything that happened the first 8 games was a mirage and doesn't matter!

Fact is the game we had to win is the one we played the week before in cincy. Truthfully I pretty much expected this loss all last week, that's why I didn't overreact to it. Why should we have expected the loss? Because a perfect storm of events conspired against the Steelers last night, and the storm only got darker with the early departures of Hines Ward, and Lawrence Timmons.

What "perfect storm" you ask?

Well the Steelers were down two starters on both lines, yeah I realize one on each side is gone for the rest of the season, but we need Kemo and Keisel to come back quickly and play well.

Also James Harrison played, but made little impact, probably never should have taken the field.

Also the Patriots were coming off a loss that no one anticipated. Their loss to the Browns told me two things, 1, they were looking ahead to us when they played the Browns, and two, they never lose consecutive games, the Steelers job got a lot harder with that loss.

The Steelers home field advantage was negated somewhat by the short week you get following an emotional Monday Night football win, and we also were coming off an extended 3 game road swing, something that rarely happens in the NFL.

At our best we match up poorly with the Pats, but with the way we came into this game, we played a step slow all night, and as a result what little margin of error we had became a huge gulf.

Lastly we hadn't achieved anything close to the offensive cohesiveness neccessary to get into a shootout type game and have any chance of success going into last night. I think letting Ben air it out at the end of last night's game, might be the pipe cleaning he's been needing, and it will pay dividends going foward.

Basically nearly every year you're going to have one of these WTF cluster fuck type games that makes it look as if you have no chance for any long term success. In 04, week two against the ravens, in 05- back to back hosings by the Bengals and colts, 08- Eagles and Giants embarrassments.

This is just one of those games you need to put in the rear view mirror and move on.

PalmerSteel
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
as sad as a performance as that was, it will definately be a defining moment for our season IMO next week. how we react against a much improved raiders team will go a long ways. the bottom line is the O and D lines need to step it up the most, no matter who is in there. all the media wont be giving us the same love as before in case some guys have been patting themselves on the back too much lately. we seen how the patriots reacted after an embarrassing loss. as much as i cant stand them, they reacted like elite teams are supposed to react after a bad loss. it is early, but its swim time or things could really start to spiral downhill quickly, like last year.

Godfather
11-15-2010, 08:40 AM
We also lost our best possession receiver on a blatant cheap shot. That, plus being beat up in the trenches so we couldn't get to Brady, was a killer.

Let's not forget Shankopotamus. He makes that chip shot and there's no need for the cycle of onside kicks. We just need the defense to make ONE stop in the fourth quarter.

Bluecoat96
11-15-2010, 08:44 AM
Jeezus, everyone's putting way too much stock in this one game. Sell, sell, sell, the sky is falling, everything that happened the first 8 games was a mirage and doesn't matter!

Fact is the game we had to win is the one we played the week before in cincy. Truthfully I pretty much expected this loss all last week, that's why I didn't overreact to it. Why should we have expected the loss? Because a perfect storm of events conspired against the Steelers last night, and the storm only got darker with the early departures of Hines Ward, and Lawrence Timmons.

Well the Steelers were down two starters on both lines, yeah I realize one on each side is gone for the rest of the season, but we need Kemo and Keisel to come back quickly and play well.

Also James Harrison played, but made little impact, probably never should have taken the field.

Also the Patriots were coming off a loss that no one anticipated. Their loss to the Browns told me two things, 1, they were looking ahead to us when they played the Browns, and two, they never lose consecutive games, the Steelers job got a lot harder with that loss.

The Steelers home field advantage was negated somewhat by the short week you get following an emotional Monday Night football win, and we also were coming off an extended 3 game road swing, something that rarely happens in the NFL.

At our best we match up poorly with the Pats, but with the way we came into this game, we played a step slow all night, and as a result what little margin of error we had became a huge gulf.

Lastly we hadn't achieved anything close to the offensive cohesiveness neccessary to get into a shootout type game and have any chance of success going into last night. I think letting Ben air it out at the end of last night's game, might be the pipe cleaning he's been needing, and it will pay dividends going foward.

Basically nearly every year you're going to have one of these WTF cluster fuck type games that makes it look as if you have no chance for any long term success. In 04, week two against the ravens, in 05- back to back hosings by the Bengals and colts, 08- Eagles and Giants embarrassments.

This is just one of those games you need to put in the rear view mirror and move on.

Thank you. a voice of REASON!

Nadroj 20
11-15-2010, 08:47 AM
Its only going to look like last year if they lose 5 straight like they did....It sucks to say but the pats are a good team...i dont think the sky is falling quite yet.

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
Let's not forget Shankopotamus.

That made me finally smile and laugh today, reading that. :lol:

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 09:45 AM
This is NOTHING like last year. Last year we lost to DOGS and CRAP FULL TEAMS! Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bengals Twice.

This year is more like the 08 season, we are losing games to Good Teams. Pats (playoff team) Saints (defending champ playoff team) Ravens (playoff team)

God damn this board is going down hill fast. So many fcking crybabies on here.

Wallace108
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM
This is NOTHING like last year. Last year we lost to DOGS and CRAP FULL TEAMS! Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bengals Twice.

This year is more like the 08 season, we are losing games to Good Teams. Pats (playoff team) Saints (defending champ playoff team) Ravens (playoff team)

This team reminds you of the '08 team? Really? I must be watching a different team. :huh:

Oh, and I forgot ... we're supposed to be positive and upbeat after a loss.

SteelerFanInStl
11-15-2010, 10:32 AM

Can't say that I agree with you. We've had problems with pretty much every team that we've played this year. Yep, we're 6-3 and there's plenty of time left but we've got to do something about it now. The Raiders are a much improved team this year and if we play the same way that we've been playing, we will lose.

venom
11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
It will be if we lose to the Raiders. Aslong we dont unleash hell, we should be ok .

Steeldude
11-15-2010, 11:32 AM
Its starting to look like last year all over again....

it's ok that's just the scheme :) rush no one and drop back 10 yards in coverage. then hope the QB throws a pass to one of our players away from the receivers.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-15-2010, 11:44 AM
BLAH... Not taking it there..

XxKnightxX
11-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Exactly were losing to the teams were supposed to beat. We didnt beat tthe Browns chiefs raiders and bengals twice
This year we have lost to the Patriots who will be in the playoffs and we will see most likely once we get in (optimism), Ravens due to lack of running the ball to get a first down and a shaky secondary, Patriots embarrassed us on both sides of the ball. and The bengals game was too much of a close call and Miami would have been a loss from the way we played from start to finish.

The point Im trying to prove is that I havent seen this team step over the hump and close out games and put a defining stamp on a team that can bounce back from tough situations. The 08 steelers were like that, not this team and they need to return to that. Even last year we had the lead and dominated for 3 quarters and basically the players were warming up their cars on the 4th quarter and blowing leads.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-15-2010, 12:37 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m490/wirels3/2008Steelersseason.jpg?t=1289846232 (http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29779/PIT_Gamebook.pdf)

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 12:41 PM
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m490/wirels3/2008Steelersseason.jpg?t=1289846232 (http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/29779/PIT_Gamebook.pdf)

That's actually enforcing my point. Our losses were to Very Good Teams that all went to playoffs that year. The Saints, Ravens and Pats are all most likely going to be in the Playoffs and the hunt for the trophy this year.

That 1 point win over the Chargers wasn't a great win, 4 point win over the Browns? Not very dominating. Pick 6 at the end of the Cowboys game after we had to fight our way back into the game at home.

Here is the CRAP that was last year.
Score Offense Defense
Week Day Date Rec Opp Tm Opp 1stD TotYd PassY RushY TO 1stD TotYd PassY RushY TO
1 Thu September 10 box W 1-0 Tennessee Titans 13 10 19 357 321 36 3 18 320 234 86 2
2 Sun September 20 box L 1-1 @ Chicago Bears 14 17 21 308 203 105 2 17 275 231 44
3 Sun September 27 box L 1-2 @ Cincinnati Bengals 20 23 17 373 271 102 1 19 273 173 100
4 Sun October 4 box W 2-2 San Diego Chargers 38 28 32 497 320 177 1 17 251 235 16 1
5 Sun October 11 box W 3-2 @ Detroit Lions 28 20 18 344 262 82 1 21 335 225 110 1
6 Sun October 18 box W 4-2 Cleveland Browns 27 14 28 543 403 140 4 12 197 106 91 4
7 Sun October 25 box W 5-2 Minnesota Vikings 27 17 14 259 152 107 1 21 386 297 89 2
8 Bye Week
9 Mon November 9 box W 6-2 @ Denver Broncos 28 10 21 375 202 173 2 12 242 215 27 3
10 Sun November 15 box L 6-3 Cincinnati Bengals 12 18 16 226 146 80 1 14 218 157 61
11 Sun November 22 box L 6-4 @ Kansas City Chiefs 24 27 27 516 402 114 3 13 282 214 68 1
12 Sun November 29 box L 6-5 @ Baltimore Ravens 17 20 16 298 145 153 1 21 393 261 132 2
13 Sun December 6 box L 6-6 Oakland Raiders 24 27 19 401 269 132 1 19 396 287 109
14 Thu December 10 box L 6-7 @ Cleveland Browns 6 13 16 218 141 77 12 255 84 171
15 Sun December 20 box W 7-7 Green Bay Packers 37 36 28 537 472 65 18 436 376 60
16 Sun December 27 box W 8-7 Baltimore Ravens 23 20 17 286 238 48 2 20 323 148 175 3
17 Sun January 3 box W 9-7 @ Miami Dolphins 30 24 22 403 201 202 2 20 303 204 99 3

Team Stats and RankingsGlossary · CSV · PRE

BPS3akaWirels3
11-15-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm with you Dino... Stop whining and bitching until we start losing game after game... also, look at the 2005 - 1995 - (Didn't win SB) season... We were 11 - 5 which is even worse.. Like Wallace tweeted last night "We will see who is real in the playoffs".

The only change I am looking for is a new Kicker ASAP. He has a problem with the field, US and is the worst kicker in the NFL NOW. Bye, bye skippy..

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 12:45 PM
The only thing I see that is glaring is the Win in 08 over the Pats, which was not a Brady lead team, he was out that season.

So I really think that too many people on this board hate the Patriots so much that they let the loss to the Patriots completely blind them and practically give up on the season.

We had our oline in shambles, our Receivers couldn't catch a freaking frisbee last night, our d was out played and our weakness was exposed. That shiit happens. Big freaking deal.

I still believe this team has as good a shot as any other team in the top of the bracket to win the entire fcking thing and I can name 10 teams that wish they were us off the top of my head, Bills, Lions, Texans, Broncos, Chargers, Cardinals, Vikings, 9ers, Titans, Panthers, Bengals, Browns....oh, that's 12...by bad

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 12:46 PM
I'm with you Dino... Stop whining and bitching until we start losing game after game... also, look at the 2005 season... We were 11 - 5 which is even worse.. Like Wallace tweeted last night "We will see who is real in the playoffs".

Yeah, 05 was so bad, and then Bettis runs over Urlacher and the "prophecy" was fulfilled and the "Destiny" set in motion...

oneforthetoe
11-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Yeah, 05 was so bad, and then Bettis runs over Urlacher and the "prophecy" was fulfilled and the "Destiny" set in motion...

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Bettis.bmp

Warms me up like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day.

Wallace108
11-15-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not looking strictly at wins and losses, but how the team is playing. We looked bad against the Saints, horrible against the Patriots, and even bad in our wins against the Dolphins and Bengals. Regardless of what the record says, this does not look like a championship-caliber team. I'll be more than happy to be wrong though.

Dino 6 Rings
11-15-2010, 01:13 PM
We don't always look pretty, that's part of being a Steelers fan. Has been for Decades.

even in our wins, some of them are very ugly. Sometimes, we smash a team's skull in and actually win outright in the 1st half, but those games are so few and far between that most of us have defibulators at our houses to restart our hearts while watching this team over the years. I actually just use a car battery and jumper cables, but the effect is the same.

6-3. Ben didn't play for 4 of those games. 2 of our Stud D-lineman are out, our O-line is a complete mess, and our Best WR got jacked up in the last game and couldn't play.

I'll take it for now. The goal is 11 wins, that should be enough to get into the dance. That is all that matters, not winning pretty or losing ugly. Get to the Playoffs, then, anything is possible. We've done the 3 road wins thing, we've won an AFC title at home with this QB and Coach, its all possible. Just Get In the Fcking Dance.

This week, the ever so hated fcking Raiders. Stupid one eye patch scummbags.

SteelerSal
11-15-2010, 01:15 PM
This week, the ever so hated fcking Raiders. Stupid one eye patch scummbags.

:lol:

43Hitman
11-15-2010, 02:11 PM

Thats your post from last year right? Sorry Zu, but you can't ignore the striking similarities of this years problems compared to last years. I have faith they can get it straightened out, but man some of the problems just aren't fixed over night, or even after a few practices.

SteelerEmpire
11-15-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't see the fire and heart in this team ( just like last year). Were not there yet...

Raleigh Steel
11-15-2010, 03:13 PM
well, if we are judging this season to last, we were 6-2 last season and everyone was talking repeat superbowl...#7....and the 2 losses were only a couple of plays away from being wins...then the wheels came off.

this year we were 6-2 with a couple of plays away from being losses. now we were just humiliated at home and sit at 6-3.

now the big question is, what were we all complaining about last season?

1. BA's offense is crap--has it improved any?
2. The defense can't stop anybody in the 4th quarter--has it improved any?
3. injuries--you can't prevent these from happening but you can add depth--has our depth improved any?
4. special teams suck--the only thing that has changed is that the coverage units are better but the place kicker would miss the ocean if he were kicking off a cruise liner.

so we can go round and round about record all we want, but this team looks a lot like last year's version. the 08 team had one of the most dominate defenses in league history!!!! it held up long enough for our inept offense to make that one drive needed.

now, do you believe that this defense could make that stop week in and week out the rest of the way? do you believe that the offense could mount the drive needed to win with the game on the line? do you believe that our FG kicker could make the clutch kick to win us the game in regulation or OT?

sorry but, we don't have the players, or the system to pull any of that off. unless arians goes back to a very simple approach and is okay with getting 5-8 yards instead of 15-20 yards...unless lebeau dials up the pressure both on the QB and in the secondary...unless tomlin puts the fear of God into these players and get the absolute most out of them...it's not gonna happen.

right now, i see to many negatives and not enough positives to see this team as anything more than what they are...mediocre.

but i would love it if they proved me wrong!