PDA

View Full Version : What the hell's wrong with Sepulveda?!!

zulater
11-14-2010, 09:12 PM
God he's been awful the last few games. :doh: Unless he's nursing a leg injury that we're not aware of he doesn't look like a guy who belongs in the league. The game's hard enough without giving up premium field position every stinking time you punt! :mad:

Steeltreal
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Anyone can appreciate Sepulveda after that Mitch Berger fiasco.

Borski
11-14-2010, 09:15 PM
God he's been awful the last few games. :doh: Unless he's nursing a leg injury that we're not aware of he doesn't look like a guy who belongs in the league. The game's hard enough without giving up premium field position every stinking time you punt! :mad:

He'll never be as bad as Mitch Berger...

tube517
11-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Paul Ernster

He'll never be as bad as Mitch Berger...

zulater
11-14-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone can appreciate Sepulveda after that Mitch Berger fiasco.

At least we didn't waste a 3rd round pick on Berger.

zulater
11-14-2010, 09:34 PM
Another shitty punt. 5 punts tonight for a 39 yard average, which of course is skewed by his one 53 yard punt. and when did the 53 yarder occur, when he punted it into the end zone, so that punt only netted 35. He's worthless.

Borski
11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
I think everyone is having a horrible game today...
The punter is the least of my worries right now.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I think everyone is having a horrible game today...
The punter is the least of my worries right now.

Oh I know, but his performance shouldn't be influenced by poor o-line play, quality of opponent, short work week etc..., and his poor play has been an ongoing issue in my opinion.

Borski
11-14-2010, 10:15 PM
True, but I think he's had a lot of good plays to, he is able to make a tackle if needed and has saved touchdowns returned for kicks whent he rest of the Special teams have failed before.

Craic
11-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Poor play? :doh:

He is 6th. 6th in the league in average yards per punt.

What exactly do you all want?

zulater
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM

I don't give a damn what his average is, you been watching the games lately? He boots it into the end zone and pumps up his average when a pooch kick is needed, big freaking deal. Go through the box scores of the last 3 games and see where our opponents starting field position has been when he punts it lately.

pepsyman1
11-15-2010, 12:08 AM
He started out the year kicking pretty well....the last 3-4 games have been poor. I don't understand what suddenly happened. He has been very inconsistent lately...not Mitch Berger level, but definitely not kicking as well as he should be.

zulater
11-15-2010, 12:10 AM
He started out the year kicking pretty well....the last 3-4 games have been poor. I don't understand what suddenly happened. He has been very inconsistent lately...not Mitch Berger level, but definitely not kicking as well as he should be.

wouldn't surprise me if he's playing hurt. but I'd like to know so as to know whether to expect some level of improvement when he's healthy.

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 12:45 AM
I don't give a damn what his average is, you been watching the games lately? He boots it into the end zone and pumps up his average when a pooch kick is needed, big freaking deal. Go through the box scores of the last 3 games and see where our opponents starting field position has been when he punts it lately.

His net average was also 2nd in the league coming into the game tonight.

Again, what else do you want?

I swear to God, some of you guys really need to back up a second. The freaking PUNTER should be the least of our concerns right now.

steel9guy
11-15-2010, 12:49 AM
Wait, I didn't even notice a problem with him. I thought he was doing good.

Borski
11-15-2010, 12:52 AM

A lot of that blame goes to special teams not being able to tackle...not the distance he can kick.

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 01:03 AM
A lot of that blame goes to special teams not being able to tackle...not the distance he can kick.

Not if his net average is so high. That usually means his kicks aren't being returned for very much at all. His net was 39.7 YPP coming into the game last night - that is pretty damn good.

Borski
11-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Not if his net average is so high. That usually means his kicks aren't being returned for very much at all. His net was 39.7 YPP coming into the game last night - that is pretty damn good.

Then I really don't understand the complaints...

zulater
11-15-2010, 01:19 AM
Then I really don't understand the complaints...

Because the numbers are misleading. Check out our opponents starting field position, you punt from beyond your own 25 and you can't ever put your opponent inside their own 35? Not good.

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 01:35 AM
Because the numbers are misleading. Check out our opponents starting field position, you punt from beyond your own 25 and you can't ever put your opponent inside their own 35? Not good.

It looks to me like he's been kicking more for height than for distance, rather than booming them long. Long kicks are great, but they are more prone to being returned for a lot of yards...whereas getting more hang time on the punts prevents the long return, hence why his net average is high. Most football people would tell you that the net average is a more important stat for punters than the gross average.

oneforthetoe
11-15-2010, 01:57 AM
Least of our problems.

Maybe he figures the closer the other team is to our goal line the less open space they have to play pitch and catch with our corners, save for Ike? Really, that would make Sep a defensive genius. Time to fire Lebeau.

steelreserve
11-15-2010, 02:19 AM
It looks to me like he's been kicking more for height than for distance, rather than booming them long. Long kicks are great, but they are more prone to being returned for a lot of yards...whereas getting more hang time on the punts prevents the long return, hence why his net average is high. Most football people would tell you that the net average is a more important stat for punters than the gross average.

Then just kick it toward the sideline instead of down the middle of the field, rocket scientist.

Seriously, I don't think Sepulveda's been outright BAD, but at best he's been ok. He hasn't done anything over the last couple years to show me he's more than an average punter. Most NFL teams, if they're anywhere from their own 40 onward, it's practically automatic that their punter will pin the opponent inside the 15-yard line, usually the 10 or better. If they're inside their own 30, it's automatic that the opponent will catch the ball at the 20-35 unless the punter is kicking out of his own end zone. I have been amazed by the level of skill this demonstrates since I started paying attention to it.

Sepulveda just hasn't done this for us. When we're pinned at the 10, guys catch the ball near midfield. When we're at midfield, most guys can kick the ball straight up in the air for 40 yards and give the opponents NO chance of getting outside the 10, but he fucks it up as often as not. I don't think he's really an asset to the team.

By the way, I don't think Mitch Berger was even nearly as bad as people say. He had a few awful shanks at inopportune times, but overall he was something like 0.1Y worse than Sepulveda and made plenty of kicks where accuracy counted. The Ernster experiment was a disaster, and I think people kind of blend the two together, but Ernster was FAR worse. Accuracy is something that Sepulveda is seriously lacking these days.

Galax Steeler
11-15-2010, 03:51 AM
I am not worried about his punting the guy knows how to kick a ball. He may not be performing well right know but neither is alot of our team. What are we going to do give up on all of them because they are not playing well.

stlrtruck
11-15-2010, 06:06 AM
I guess when your offense is going 3 and out a lot, it tends to wear down the leg? I don't have a problem with Sepulveda, at least he's doing his job!

zulater
11-15-2010, 06:19 AM
I guess when your offense is going 3 and out a lot, it tends to wear down the leg? I don't have a problem with Sepulveda, at least he's doing his job!

If his job is to continuously give the opposing team favorable field position, then he's doing a wonderfull job.

Ok I get it folks, Sep had nothing to do with the result last night. But going foward, there's not a game left on our schedule that's a given win or loss. Much like the first 8 games I would wager the majority of our remaining 7 games will come down to a single score, every possession will matter. And in a close game field position can spell the difference between winning and losing as often as not. If the Steelers are to have any chance to win enough games to be playing into January they need Sepuvelda to start pinning teams inside their own 20 when the chance is there. And lately, as in the last 3 games , he's been abysmal in that regard. We need more from him.

stlrtruck
11-15-2010, 08:35 AM
If his job is to continuously give the opposing team favorable field position, then he's doing a wonderfull job.

Ok I get it folks, Sep had nothing to do with the result last night. But going foward, there's not a game left on our schedule that's a given win or loss. Much like the first 8 games I would wager the majority of our remaining 7 games will come down to a single score, every possession will matter. And in a close game field position can spell the difference between winning and losing as often as not. If the Steelers are to have any chance to win enough games to be playing into January they need Sepuvelda to start pinning teams inside their own 20 when the chance is there. And lately, as in the last 3 games , he's been abysmal in that regard. We need more from him.

He was averaging what 45 yards per punt last night?

When the offense is going in reverse and he's punting from his 10 yard line, that's a huge difference than punting from the 35-40 yard line.

steelpride12
11-15-2010, 11:16 AM
I can't attack Sep just yet for his recent play. He is has been a true gem for the Steelers since he was drafted and showed a lot of good things. I think so far this season he just has not found his groove, but that does not mean it's time to worry and find a new punter.

Craic
11-15-2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry, but that isn't exactly true. When you look at the NET average yards, which factors in touchbacks AND returns, Sep is 3rd!!!! Meaning, there are only 2... TWO punters in the league, after accounting for touchbacks AND returns, that are better than Sep. (and before you say, Well, that is because our ST's have improved... No. we are 16th out of 32 in yards allowed on returns, which means Sep's been doing a tremendous job punting for us).

As to your next question, the question isn't where the opponents are starting, but rather, where our drives ENDED.... as opposed to where there drive started. Big difference.

EDIT: Ok, I'm a little late to the party on teh net yards... :doh:

HometownGal
11-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm not at all worried about DSep and feel he's done a fine job for us. :thumbsup: His average for the season thus far is 46.0 and his net is 39.6 - both career highs, so I really don't understand what all of the B & M'ing is about. :doh:

Did I mention that he's never had a punt blocked? :heh: :heh:

CanadianSteel
11-16-2010, 08:30 AM
I also think there is something wrong with our punt teams also. Wont blame it all on Sep but when other teams punt from there 30 yard line or greater we always seem to start inside our own 20 usually because of a proper nice high kick whereby a fair catch is called.
When steelers punt from same spot, seems orther teams are consitently starting outside there 20 even returns to like 30 yard line or greater.

Not sure exactly what the problem is but we need to pin opponents deep more often.

Note: None of this would have mattered on Sunday night as that prick Brady was marching down the filed regardless...

SteelMember
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
Only problem with the Sepster is he's on the field too much...

If he's punting, that means we ain't scoring.

The three and outs should give him more practice to work on his kicks though. :doh:

JayC
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
punting is the least of my worries. how about that pass rush or lack there of versus good teams, bad pass coverage, and sloppy oline work

i blame a lot of it on the injuries taking a toll on this team again but our secondary is all starters and they play like crap, it feels like last year all over. if we don't find a way to beat oakland i could see this season start to unravel in a hurry

BeerMan
11-16-2010, 02:09 PM
Out of curiosity, I sorted the punters on several stats. Most interesting is the fact that Sep is only tied for 24th in pinning the opponent inside the 20, but he is 2nd in number of touchbacks. I definitely feel that he could improve on his situational punting.

Craic
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Out of curiosity, I sorted the punters on several stats. Most interesting is the fact that Sep is only tied for 24th in pinning the opponent inside the 20, but he is 2nd in number of touchbacks. I definitely feel that he could improve on his situational punting.

I saw that as well. However, what I wondered, was how many of those were long punts that the punt returner allowed to bounce 10, 15 yards into the endzone, vs. putting the ball down at the 3, and having it bounce up in the air. Also, I have seen a LOT of his punts come down inside the twenty, only to be returned to the 30 or so. Those don't show up in the stats, but they sure are punts inside the 20 as well.

Would I like to see more punts bounce straight up and die at the 1? Absolutely. But in the game that is field position, to move us on overage from our 30 yard line or so, to the other teams 24 yardline... is more than acceptable.

stillers4me
11-16-2010, 05:20 PM

Obviously...1st. :lol:

zulater
11-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm not at all worried about DSep and feel he's done a fine job for us. :thumbsup: His average for the season thus far is 46.0 and his net is 39.6 - both career highs, so I really don't understand what all of the B & M'ing is about. :doh:

Did I mention that he's never had a punt blocked? :heh: :heh:

Averages are misleading, take a little time and look at the play by play charts' of the last 3 games look where he's punting from, look where the ensuing possession of our opponent is starting. Maybe you think it's ok to punt from the 20- 25 and give the ball to our opponent at around their own 35- 40. I don't, and I'd wager Dan doesn't either. . He's been very mediocre lately. Didn't matter in this last game, but if you don't think field position is going to be vital in the weeks ahead I'd say you'd be wrong.

Texasteel
11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Averages are misleading, take a little time and look at the play by play charts' of the last 3 games look where he's punting from, look where the ensuing possession of our opponent is starting. Maybe you think it's ok to punt from the 20- 25 and give the ball to our opponent at around their own 35- 40. I don't, and I'd wager Dan doesn't either. . He's been very mediocre lately. Didn't matter in this last game, but if you don't think field position is going to be vital in the weeks ahead I'd say you'd be wrong.

Net yards mean that the ball actually rest further down the field after the play than those with a lower net average. Punt average is misleading. Net average is not, if he is 2nd or 3rd in net average that is pretty good. The fact that he has not had a punt block is indeed a plus. I'm not really worried about him either.

hotrodder07
11-16-2010, 08:14 PM
What's wrong with Sepulveda? Nothing that I noticed. I'm not much of a stat-checker, but his punts usually have great hangtime and are still pretty long. I don't think he's an issue right now.

The only thing I noticed is that he has had some trouble pinning the ball inside the twenty. Other than that, he's been great.

zulater
11-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Net yards mean that the ball actually rest further down the field after the play than those with a lower net average. Punt average is misleading. Net average is not, if he is 2nd or 3rd in net average that is pretty good. The fact that he has not had a punt block is indeed a plus. I'm not really worried about him either.

I know the difference Tex. I also know Dan pumped up his numbers in about 5 games, and has been adequete at best for the past 3. The Steelers 2010 fate will be decided probably in the next 4 games, I think that it's safe to guess that every yard of field position is going to matter. Thus I want and expect more than adequete from Dan.

X-Terminator
11-17-2010, 06:39 AM
I know the difference Tex. I also know Dan pumped up his numbers in about 5 games, and has been adequete at best for the past 3. The Steelers 2010 fate will be decided probably in the next 4 games, I think that it's safe to guess that every yard of field position is going to matter. Thus I want and expect more than adequete from Dan.

Field position only matters if your defense can actually stop someone. Given Sunday's disaster and it being a copycat league, Sep can pin a team back inside the 5 all day long, and it won't mean shit if the defense allows the team to march right down the field.

I don't see the problem here. As has been said at least a half-dozen times, the punter is probably last on the list of issues with this team.

Texasteel
11-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Well in the last 3 games he's had

43.8 yards net with 2 of 4 kicks inside the 20
34.8 yards net with 2 of 5 kicks inside the 20
38.8 yards net with 0 or 8 kicks inside the 20

His average is 39.6 yards net.

The cincy game wasn't all that great but I don't think the other two are all that bad.
I'm still not too worried.

43Hitman
11-17-2010, 09:11 AM

Field position only matters if your defense can actually stop someone. Given Sunday's disaster and it being a copycat league, Sep can pin a team back inside the 5 all day long, and it won't mean shit if the defense allows the team to march right down the field.

I don't see the problem here. As has been said at least a half-dozen times, the punter is probably last on the list of issues with this team.

I agree X, we have much bigger problems to be focusing on than a freaking punter. Defense allowing 300 plus yards passing and 100 plus yards rushing last game would be a good place to start.

zulater
11-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree X, we have much bigger problems to be focusing on than a freaking punter. Defense allowing 300 plus yards passing and 100 plus yards rushing last game would be a good place to start.

You took the lazy approach like everyone else here. Don't look at average, look at where we punted from and subsequent opponent starting field position.

I never said that punting was our worst problem, just saying it's been more liability than asset lately, and that could prove troublesome ahead.

zulater
11-17-2010, 09:25 AM

It's only a copycat league if everyone manages to zerox Tom Brady.

Texasteel
11-17-2010, 10:50 AM
You took the lazy approach like everyone else here. Don't look at average, look at where we punted from and subsequent opponent starting field position.

I never said that punting was our worst problem, just saying it's been more liability than asset lately, and that could prove troublesome ahead.

Thats right, everyone that doesn't agree with you is lazy or ignorant.

I've given you the NET,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Net yardage on the 3 games you mentioned. One is significantly low, one significantly higher, and the last one about at the average NET yardage of a kicker the ranks in the top 20% of the league. That means that when he kicked to ball it went about as far as anyone else's would have.

Can he have a bad kick? Yes. Can he have a very good kick? The answer to that is yes also. Look at the entire body of work for each game and he is doing fine.

Again, I am not to worries about Dan.

Craic
11-17-2010, 12:40 PM
Against Miami--

Punt 1-42 yard punt to Miami 16, no return
Punt 2-49 yard punt to Miami 25, 16 yard return.
Punt 3-51 yard punt to Miami 15, 11 yard return

SO... 2/3 punts inside 20, 3/3 punts inside the 25 yard line.

Against N.O.

Punt 1-37 yards to NO 25, no return
Punt 2a-40 yards to NO 41, no return--PENALTY AND REKICK
Punt 2b-49 yards to NO 32, 17 yard return
Punt 3-52 yards to NO 18, no return
Punt 4-54 yards to NO 18, fair catch

2/5 punts inside 20, both over 50 yards. 3/5 punts inside 25. (2/4 and 3/4 when penalty on play is removed).

Against Cincinnati

Punt 1-36 yards to Cin 12, no return
Punt 2-37 yards to Cin 30, no return
Punt 3-48 yards to Cin 35, 8 yard return
Punt 4-43 yards to Cin 13, 1 yard return
Punt 5-39 yards to endzone, Touchback

2/5 inside 20, longest kick returned for 8 yards, meaning the 48 yard kick net 40 yards.

Against N.E.

Punt 1-41 yards to NE 30
Punt 2-50 yards to NE 25, 12 yard return
Punt 3-53 yards to Endzone, Touchback
Punt 4-40 yards to NE 44, 5 yard penalty = next play at NE 49
Punt 5-42 yards to NE 40, fair catch

0/5 inside 20, 1/5 inside 24 (actually, should be 1/5 inside 20, but the gunners didn't run behind the NE returner to be ready for him letting the ball go. They just ran by and gave up on the play... and that was on the 53 yard kick.

Conclusions:

6/18 inside 20 over the last four games, should be 7/18 except for bad coverage. That is ALMOST 50 % INSIDE THE 20! Exactly WHAT is the problem?

Only 2 touchbacks in 18 kicks, 1 again, was because of coverage. Thus, 1 touchback in 18 attempts.

6/18 kicks for 48 yards or more-- 6/16 kicks when there was more than 50 yards to the endzone.

So, I DID do my homework, and it bares out exactly what I have been saying. This entire thread is much ado about nothing.

------------------------

Zu, you talk about people taking the lazy way out. Looking only at where the punt orignated and where the next play starts is also taking the lazy way out. You fail to account for such things as run backs and penalties. No, right now, punting is probably the strongest part of this team... unfortunately.

shutdown
11-17-2010, 01:51 PM
Against Miami--

Punt 1-42 yard punt to Miami 16, no return
Punt 2-49 yard punt to Miami 25, 16 yard return.
Punt 3-51 yard punt to Miami 15, 11 yard return

Against N.O.

Punt 1-37 yards to NO 25, no return
Punt 2a-40 yards to NO 41, no return--PENALTY AND REKICK
Punt 2b-49 yards to NO 32, 17 yard return
Punt 3-52 yards to NO 18, no return
Punt 4-54 yards to NO 18, fair catch

2/5 punts inside 20, both over 50 yards. 3/5 punts inside 25. (2/4 and 3/4 when penalty on play is removed).

Against Cincinnati

Punt 1-36 yards to Cin 12, no return
Punt 2-37 yards to Cin 30, no return
Punt 3-48 yards to Cin 35, 8 yard return
Punt 4-43 yards to Cin 13, 1 yard return
Punt 5-39 yards to endzone, Touchback

2/5 inside 20, longest kick returned for 8 yards, meaning the 48 yard kick net 40 yards.

Against N.E.

Punt 1-41 yards to NE 30
Punt 2-50 yards to NE 25, 12 yard return
Punt 3-53 yards to Endzone, Touchback
Punt 4-40 yards to NE 44, 5 yard penalty = next play at NE 49
Punt 5-42 yards to NE 40, fair catch

0/5 inside 20, 1/5 inside 24 (actually, should be 1/5 inside 20, but the gunners didn't run behind the NE returner to be ready for him letting the ball go. They just ran by and gave up on the play... and that was on the 53 yard kick.

Conclusions:

6/18 inside 20 over the last four games, should be 7/18 except for bad coverage. That is ALMOST 50 % INSIDE THE 20! Exactly WHAT is the problem?

Only 2 touchbacks in 18 kicks, 1 again, was because of coverage. Thus, 1 touchback in 18 attempts.

6/18 kicks for 48 yards or more-- 6/16 kicks when there was more than 50 yards to the endzone.

So, I DID do my homework, and it bares out exactly what I have been saying. This entire thread is much ado about nothing.

------------------------

Zu, you talk about people taking the lazy way out. Looking only at where the punt orignated and where the next play starts is also taking the lazy way out. You fail to account for such things as run backs and penalties. No, right now, punting is probably the strongest part of this team... unfortunately.

Damn should have read all the pages before wasting my time and doing the numbers.

I came to the exact same conclusions. I have no idea what Zu is complaining about. All the insiders are also saying Seppy quietly having a pretty decent season.

oneforthetoe
11-17-2010, 02:12 PM
It's only a copycat league if everyone manages to zerox Tom Brady.

Well looky here, somebody did just that.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom//img/2010/10/14/101410-NFL-Tom-Brady-Justin-Bieber-JW-PI_20101014163537_660_320.JPG

zulater
11-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Against Miami--

Punt 1-42 yard punt to Miami 16, no return ( fair punt, good chance to pin a team inside their 10, 16 is ok for an NFL punter)
Punt 2-49 yard punt to Miami 25, 16 yard return.( can't remember this kick so I'll give it a pass, can't say the return was on lack of hang time)
Punt 3-51 yard punt to Miami 15, 11 yard return ( 40 yard net punting to a long field, fair, nothing to brag about)

I'd give him no better than a C+ plus for that gameAgainst N.O.

Punt 1-37 yards to NO 25, no return ( crappy punt, you should expect to pin a team inside their own 15 punting from where they did)
Punt 2a-40 yards to NO 41, no return--PENALTY AND REKICK ( crappy kick again)
Punt 2b-49 yards to NO 32, 17 yard return ( I do remember this punt, and it didn't have good hang time. Punting from where the Steelers did both were poor punts)
Punt 3-52 yards to NO 18, no return ( great punt)
Punt 4-54 yards to NO 18, fair catch ( great punt)

B effort that game.

Against Cincinnati

Punt 1-36 yards to Cin 12, no return ( good punt)
Punt 2-37 yards to Cin 30, no return ( bad punt)
Punt 3-48 yards to Cin 35, 8 yard return ( again kicking from where they did, this is poor field position to give up)
Punt 4-43 yards to Cin 13, 1 yard return ( good punt)
Punt 5-39 yards to endzone, Touchback ( terrible punt, have a chance to pin a team deep and miss it, 19 yard net)

C- game at best, despite your spin job. Against N.E.

Punt 1-41 yards to NE 30 ( poor punt)
Punt 2-50 yards to NE 25, 12 yard return ( 38 yard net kicking to a full field is poor by NFL standards)
Punt 3-53 yards to Endzone, Touchback ( missed oppurtunity to pin a team deep again)
Punt 4-40 yards to NE 44, 5 yard penalty = next play at NE 49 ( again when you punt to a full field you should be giving teams possession inside their 30, another mediocre punt)
Punt 5-42 yards to NE 40, fair catch ( if it makes you happy fine, but if you think this makes him a good punter I think you're barking mad)

Conclusions:

Another C game

------------------------

My conclusions differ greatly from yours. To me he's been nothing but medioicre, and that's exactly what the results you've posted prove out.

Good kickers lose average when they punt from midfield, they sacrifice yards for the chance to pin teams deep. But when the great punters do get to punt to a full field they generally do better than the 40 yard net that Danny's giving us.

Watch the Raiders punter this weekend. Let him punt it from his own 30 and I'll bet we wont be starting many possessions at our 30 afterwards.

Craic
11-18-2010, 02:11 AM
My conclusions differ greatly from yours. To me he's been nothing but medioicre, and that's exactly what the results you've posted prove out.

Good kickers lose average when they punt from midfield, they sacrifice yards for the chance to pin teams deep. But when the great punters do get to punt to a full field they generally do better than the 40 yard net that Danny's giving us.

Watch the Raiders punter this weekend. Let him punt it from his own 30 and I'll bet we wont be starting many possessions at our 30 afterwards.

:doh:

Anything short of perfection is failure right?

zulater
11-18-2010, 06:10 AM
:doh:

Anything short of perfection is failure right?

No but mediocrity is mediocrity, and I expected better from this punter. When we used a valuable draft pick for a position that's usually filled by a walk on I was led to believe we had obtaned an elite punter, one that would often dicate field position. I was misled. While Dan is capable, he's also inconsistent, and as often as not when you need that killer punt to change field position for a game, he comes up mediocre.

zulater
11-18-2010, 07:46 AM
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2010091209/2010/REG1/falcons@steelers/analyze/box-score#analyze-channels:cat-post-playbyplay

This is the kind of punting I want to see. Both punters were at the top of their game that day.

zulater
11-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Calling me a "little bitch", where's his warning XT, or are you going to be a hypocrite like goodell?

And nothing's been disproven, his punting has been average at best, more should be expected from a punter we used a draft pick on.

Craic
11-19-2010, 12:53 AM
Calling me a "little bitch", where's his warning XT, or are you going to be a hypocrite like goodell?

?? I am not sure calling out mods/owners is the best way to get them to agree with you.

zulater
11-19-2010, 12:57 AM
?? I am not sure calling out mods/owners is the best way to get them to agree with you.

Just saying, if they want to be hypocrites fine, but I got warned for pretty much the same, hope we're not playing favorites because I'm not very popular.

Craic
11-19-2010, 01:07 AM
Just saying, if they want to be hypocrites fine, but I got warned for pretty much the same, hope we're not playing favorites because I'm not very popular.

Just some friendly advice. PM the person who warned you. Ask them if that is similar to what you were warned about... and if not, why not. I think you'd find it much more beneficial then publicly calling someone out.

Honestly, I doubt your "popularity" or "non-popularity" has anything to do with it.

Craic
11-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Zu... also, Let me know if you are going to follow my advice.... I will erase my posts.

zulater
11-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Zu... also, Let me know if you are going to follow my advice.... I will erase my posts.

No, I'm pretty pissed off at some things that are happening right now, I honestly don't care how it's received. Dude wants to call me a little bitch, that was his choice not mine. The fact that no one wants to react to it, I'll take it on myself to see that it at least wont go unnoticed.

Wallace108
11-19-2010, 01:29 AM
I haven't read every post, so I'm sure this has been mentioned ... but here's my take on Sep.

I don't care about net yards, gross yards, back yards, or any kind of yards. I'm just frustrated with his inability to angle punts. When watching a Steelers game, there are two givens: If ARE is fielding a punt, he's going to call for a fair catch; and if Sep punts anywhere near the 50, it's going to be a touchback.

When was the last time Sep punted and pinned a team inside their own 10-yard line? Our defense, which is unarguably struggling, would stand a much better chance if our punter would help it out a little by pinning the opposing offense near their own goal line when given the opportunity.

X-Terminator
11-19-2010, 03:56 AM

And nothing's been disproven, his punting has been average at best, more should be expected from a punter we used a draft pick on.

Excuse me? I'm not on the fucking board all night - I'm at work and I do have a job to do. So I just now saw his post. You could have also PMed me about it rather than calling me out here, which BTW was the same courtesy I extended to you. Not that I should have expected that anyway.

43Hitman
11-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Hey, man I just call em like I see em, and if you are going to imply that I am somehow lazy or ignorant because I don't agree with you, then my statement stands.

zulater
11-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Hey, man I just call em like I see em, and if you are going to imply that I am somehow lazy or ignorant because I don't agree with you, then my statement stands.

I think we have a difference of opinion on a player and we intepret the data different. I think Sepuvelda needs to be better in the weeks ahead, first because I think he was brought into town on the pretense that he would be an elite punter,( in my opinion he's fallen short), and second because we're probably going to need him to be elite, such is the state of the 2010 Steelers where every yard and possession matters.

Do I think the punter is the be all end all to our season? No, not even close, but it's a concern to me, an area in need of improvement and I stand by that opinion. You and other that choose to be satisfied with Dan's performance, good on ya, but I'm not.

And I've already withdrawn my objection to your post.

So to tie this thread up, I respect the fact that some of you are satisfied with Sepuvelda's performance. That's your right. And it's my right to think otherwise,( or at least I thought it was until recently), and I'm not, so I verbalized it on this thread. I'm not carrying it from thread to thread, I'm not claiming Dan's going to cost us the season, I just want and expect more from him, because he hasn't proved to be the sort of impact punter ( ref. Shane Lechler) I thought we might be getting when we used a valuable draft pick on him.

I've said all that I'm going to about this until after we've played again. I hope like hell the next time I post on this topic it will be to congragulate Dan for a great game.

Craic
11-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Ok... with that kind of post... there is more room or discussion.. and I see a little deeper what you are meaning. (BTW, I know this wasn't directed to me... but thought it was worth answering).

I think we have a difference of opinion on a player and we intepret the data different. I think Sepuvelda needs to be better in the weeks ahead, first because I think he was brought into town on the pretense that he would be an elite punter,
( in my opinion he's fallen short),
Now I understand a little bit more why your standards for him are so high. That was missing from your previous posts. I am not sure if he was brought in on that pretense, rather, I think many of us watched that video of him hitting... and also saw a few of his monster punts... and then assumed such a high pretense.
and second because we're probably going to need him to be elite, such is the state of the 2010 Steelers where every yard and possession matters.

Do I think the punter is the be all end all to our season? No, not even close, but it's a concern to me, an area in need of improvement and I stand by that opinion.
I think this is where many disagree with you, mainly because, if you were to chart each position and actual work compared to needed work, the position that falls the LEAST short, IMO, is punter.

You and other that choose to be satisfied with Dan's performance, good on ya, but I'm not.It's not a matter of being satisfied or not satisfied, rather, its a matter of thinking that the Offense and Defense has cost us a lot more in points and games than the punter has. That is why most people IMO, really aren't bothered with question. That an, we are happy right now with an above average punter-- especially since it seems the O line and elements of the defense are again below average.

So to tie this thread up, I respect the fact that some of you are satisfied with Sepuvelda's performance. That's your right. And it's my right to think otherwise,( or at least I thought it was until recently), and I'm not, so I verbalized it on this thread. I'm not carrying it from thread to thread, I'm not claiming Dan's going to cost us the season
In all honesty, it seemed you thought he would... that it was almost an unstated truth in your posts. Thanks for clarifying.

I just want and expect more from him, because he hasn't proved to be the sort of impact punter ( ref. Shane Lechler) I thought we might be getting when we used a valuable draft pick on him. Ok, this again, is another and different argument than what you are arguing here... at least what is presented. A better argument would have been to explain that you thought he was coming in as an elite punter, and then comparing him to Ray Guy and other elite punters. That would have made more sense, and you probably would have had a very different reception.

And I don't think a 5th round pick is a valuable pick... after all, we end up cutting most of them after a couple years anyway.

I've said all that I'm going to about this until after we've played again. I hope like hell the next time I post on this topic it will be to congragulate Dan for a great game. As do I.

zulater
11-21-2010, 04:36 PM
Average wise Sepuvelda wasn't special today.:scratchchin:

Which goes to show you how little average really tells the story in regards to punters. Today Dan punted like the player I thought we drafted.:tt03::yup:

SteelerFanInStl
11-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I thought he punted very well today except for the punt into the endzone from the 40. He's gotta angle that one out of bounds.

Craic
11-22-2010, 12:56 AM
Average wise Sepuvelda wasn't special today.:scratchchin:
which goes to show you how little average really tells the story in regards to punters. Yes, averages never tell the whole story, but I didn't base my assessment on averages :wink02:

Today Dan punted like the player I thought we drafted.:tt03::yup:

I thought he punted well, like normal. 4/6 inside the 20, and a touchback. That equals his performance against Miami (2/3 inside the twenty) and is a bit better than his two other games where he went 2/5 inside the twenty.

Galax Steeler
11-22-2010, 03:23 AM
Nice job from our punter today he was booming some of those kicks.

zulater
11-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Yes, averages never tell the whole story, but I didn't base my assessment on averages :wink02:

I thought he punted well, like normal. 4/6 inside the 20, and a touchback. That equals his performance against Miami (2/3 inside the twenty) and is a bit better than his two other games where he went 2/5 inside the twenty.

Preach, Sepuvelda was like a different punter yesterday than he has been, the numbers are completely misleading. He didn't hit one punt wrong all day, even the one that went for a touchback he put the ball in a good spot with a 'gunner' in good position to down it inside the 5, it just took a funny hop. But even though the result wasn't the best the execution was excellent.

Anyway I'm guessing either the special teams coach got in Danny's ear, or that waiving Reed got Danny's attention. Because he was a different punter yesterday. The stats might not say it, but the results did. And by results, I go by the litmus test of what is the reasonable result we are trying to achieve on this punt, whereabouts should our opponents starting field position occur? Yesterday Dan virtually aced every punt, he executed exeedingly well on every punt, the previous few games, not even close.

One final thought, I wonder if going against Shane Lechter might have been part of the reason for Dan's improved performance? Sometimes going against the best brings out the best in a competitor.

pepsyman1
11-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Hey Danny boy's kicks have been a little inconsistent (although his averages look pretty good for the season), but DAMN, you gotta give him props for his punt in OT. Short drop, from the back of his own end zone and he launches one 55 yards and gives the defense a chance to do it's job. That was a major pressure play.

Dick723
11-28-2010, 05:40 PM

He kicked good today. Did you see his 65 yarder?

Merchant
11-28-2010, 10:01 PM
CLUTCH punt from the back of our own endzone. At that point I honestly thought the Bills were going to get the ball back in great field position to get the game winning score.

SteelerFanInStl
11-28-2010, 10:05 PM
Yep, great clutch punt out of the endzone from Danny.

fansince'76
11-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Yep, great clutch punt out of the endzone from Danny.

Yep - that one more than made up for the "Ernster-like" punt he had earlier in the game.

Psycho Ward 86
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Diedorf and Fouts said he's one of the best punters in the league. Idk if that means anything, I really dont pay much attention to which analysts are reliable.

CanadianSteel
11-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I was wondering whats been up with him as well as just cant have 34 yard punts, and need to pin teams deep like they do to us. In saying that ... what a huge kick out of the end zone.... just need more of that and work on getting ball inseide the 20 when punting from opur 40 plus...

Craic
11-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Yep - that one more than made up for the "Ernster-like" punt he had earlier in the game.

LOL. That WAS an amazing punt. Gotta wonder if he has a nagging issue.

pepsyman1
11-29-2010, 01:04 AM
LOL. That WAS an amazing punt. Gotta wonder if he has a nagging issue.

I agree Preacher....he hits some a TON and then others are almost Mitch Berger-like. He hasn't seemed consistent, either with hang time or yardage. If he's got a small nagging injury that would explain some of it.