PDA

View Full Version : Steelers dead last in pass attempts.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?offensiveStatisticCategory=TEAM_PASS ING&season=2010&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_ATTEMPTS&d-447263-n=1

Discuss.

steeldevil
11-14-2010, 10:49 AM
We wont be in 32nd by the end of the year... but I dont really care, especially if we are in dead first in wins.

smokin3000gt
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
All of our offensive stats have been drug down by the first 4 games of the season. Our defensive stats are more telling of us this year.

steelpride12
11-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Ya and still 6 and 2 I don't care.

stillers4me
11-14-2010, 12:01 PM
4 games without your starting quarterback could do that. :huh:

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2010, 12:05 PM
that's cool with me. Just move the ball, doesn't matter how we do it. I think i speak for 99% of the people on the board when i say this: I don't buy into this "offensive identity" crap.

fansince'76
11-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Ben sucks. Trade him. :chuckle:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2010, 12:10 PM
4 games without your starting quarterback could do that. :huh:

Yeah, its just like the stat that Ben has been sacked less this year than last year after 8 games. Oh wait, he sat out 4 games. Stats are only tools.

oneforthetoe
11-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Brett Favre

stillers4me
11-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Brett Favre

and Tim Tebow, too.

zulater
11-14-2010, 12:49 PM
In games that Ben has played the Steelers are 28th in pass attemps per game by average.

I suppose this wouldn't bother me if we were at least in the top ten in rushing. We're not though, seems as if we're not doing anything particuarly good on offense at the moment. The offensive line up until this recent spate of injuries was supposedly improved. Not showing much on the field though.

Also you'd think with the amount of times we've run the ball we'd be eating up clock. Wrong, we're 16th in the league for TOP.

You want to know the difference between this year and last year? Well actually there might not be one, we were 6-2 at the midpoint last year. But honestly I do think we're improved, but only because of turnover differential and special teams. Special teams should stay a plus, turnover differential? You just never know, it'
s not something i want to be dependent on. Bottom line is if this team truly has Super Bowl asperations the offense needs to start carrying a bigger share of the load. The best way to bring that about in my opinion is to unleash your best player( Ben). And while you're at it you might try to figure out a way to get your receiver with the best set of hands into a few pass patterns ( Heath) instead of using him as a 3rd tackle on nearly every passing play.

tube517
11-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Fine Harrison.

and Tim Tebow, too.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Damn that Arians. He doesn't call enough running plays and now he isn't calling enough passing plays. :huh:

As long as they win, I don't give a rat's ass how they do it. Stats schmats.

cold-hard-steel
11-14-2010, 04:06 PM
You can come up with all the stats you wish. Maybe more if you dig deeper.At the end of the game what does it matter? The scoreboard will tell the tale. Time of possession and the score board will tell the tale. You could look at the injuries involved if you wanted to. Penalties and turnovers is the mirror of where we are going. Mistake free ball can win the game. Screw the stats.

tube517
11-14-2010, 04:10 PM
:applaudit:

You can come up with all the stats you wish. Maybe more if you dig deeper.At the end of the game what does it matter? The scoreboard will tell the tale. Time of possession and the score board will tell the tale. You could look at the injuries involved if you wanted to. Penalties and turnovers is the mirror of where we are going. Mistake free ball can win the game. Screw the stats.

zulater
11-14-2010, 04:29 PM
Damn that Arians. He doesn't call enough running plays and now he isn't calling enough passing plays. :huh:

As long as they win, I don't give a rat's ass how they do it. Stats schmats.

Yeah, how'd that 6-2 start end up last year again? And even if they win 10-11 games it wont get them squat in the playoffs if their offense isn't playing at a higher level by then.

zulater
11-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Look it's not my desire to rile up the ADL ( Arians defense league), I just want the damn offense to start to pull their end of the load. We all knew the defense would have to step up the first four games, and to their credit they sure as hell did. But the offense has to do more than assume passenger status if they're to end up where we all want them to.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 04:40 PM
Yeah, how'd that 6-2 start end up last year again? And even if they win 10-11 games it wont get them squat in the playoffs if their offense isn't playing at a higher level by then.

I don't look back on what happened last season or any other season. I focus on the present. The Steelers are 6-2 and atop the AFCN as of this very moment. With a win tonight, they can go up a game on the Rats. Those are the only stats I care about.

The Steelers put 27 points on the board last week against the Bungles. Whether the O gets into the EZ, Skippy puts 3's on the board, we get a KO or a PR for a TD or the D takes one to the house - as long as we keep putting points up on that board and the final score results in a Steelers W, as I said - it doesn't matter one iota how they got those points or where they rank in the stat category. Stats do not win football games.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 04:41 PM
Look it's not my desire to rile up the ADL ( Arians defense league), I just want the damn offense to start to pull their end of the load. We all knew the defense would have to step up the first four games, and to their credit they sure as hell did. But the offense has to do more than assume passenger status if they're to end up where we all want them to.

Was that really necessary Zu? You could have made your point without taking a shot for Christ's sake.

zulater
11-14-2010, 04:50 PM
Was that really necessary Zu? You could have made your point without taking a shot for Christ's sake.

What shot?:huh:

I never once mentioned the man's name prior to you bringing it up. I just want our offense to start performing at a higher level. I think it's essential that they do if we're to have continued success through the second half of the season.

Count Steeler
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Who cares where we are in the league? We are in a league of our own. We want to run and stuff. We are not an air team. Rooney was clear with his mandate this year:
1. Run the ball
2. Develop the young ones into full time players.

Pass attempts be damned. 6-2 with what we have gone through is fine with me. 12-4 would be playoff bound. Also fine with me.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 05:45 PM

I never once mentioned the man's name prior to you bringing it up. I just want our offense to start performing at a higher level. I think it's essential that they do if we're to have continued success through the second half of the season.

My head really doesn't screw on and off crooked. I made the comment about BA in sarcasm. I notice that your opening post requests us to "discuss" but yet you didn't offer any insight into your own topic until others, including me, responded.

Also - cold-hard-steel had the exact same opinion as I do and posted right after I did but yet you choose my post to browbeat.

I'd much prefer it if our D started playing at a higher level and hold onto the leads our O, who God forbid doesn't lead the league in stats, puts on that scoreboard. I think I speak for a lot of Steelers fans who aren't giving Lebeau and our D a free pass any longer. I'm tired of games going down to the final minute because our D turns to jelly in the 4Q. Again I maintain that stats don't mean jack shit - the score on the scoreboard at the end of the 4Q and a Steelers W is all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 06:03 PM

You were complaining about running to much just like last years complaints were about throwing to much. Since you have already stated that BA make the calls who where you supposable talking about if not BA. Last year was last year, this is a new season, don't expect me to get all upset because we are 6 and 2, (just like last year.

I just hope that the defense can hold the lead tonight when it's given to them.

Not everyone has to agree with you.

cold-hard-steel
11-14-2010, 06:05 PM
Sorry all,i,m just not a big stat guy thats all. According to stats you can have the worse offensive line in football,and still go on to, and win a Superbowl.If there is any stats what-so-ever i agree with it is the scoreboard. You can rush the ball 20 times,and have +5 yards.If you have the lead on the score board,and you win 20-19,thats the stat that matters.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Sorry all,i,m just not a big stat guy thats all. According to stats you can have the worse offensive line in football,and still go on to, and win a Superbowl.If there is any stats what-so-ever i agree with it is the scoreboard. You can rush the ball 20 times,and have +5 yards.If you have the lead on the score board,and you win 20-19,thats the stat that matters.

What you just said is completely supported by the year we beat the Seahawks in the SB.

zulater
11-14-2010, 06:11 PM
My head really doesn't screw on and off crooked. I made the comment about BA in sarcasm. I notice that your opening post requests us to "discuss" but yet you didn't offer any insight into your own topic until others, including me, responded.

Also - cold-hard-steel had the exact same opinion as I do and posted right after I did but yet you choose my post to browbeat.

I'd much prefer it if our D started playing at a higher level and hold onto the leads our O, who God forbid doesn't lead the league in stats, puts on that scoreboard. I think I speak for a lot of Steelers fans who aren't giving Lebeau and our D a free pass any longer. I'm tired of games going down to the final minute because our D turns to jelly in the 4Q. Again I maintain that stats don't mean jack shit - the score on the scoreboard at the end of the 4Q and a Steelers W is all that matters in the grand scheme of things.

LeBeau gets a free pass on this board? lol, tell me another. Look, I wish the defense would play a full four quarters as well. I understand where it can be confusing how the defense can play tremendous for a full 3 quarters and then craps it pants in the fourth quarter. I've got some theories as to why, but I wont get into them here.

But what I will say is that if the offense could display a similiar brilliance for 3 quarters in a game, any 3 quarters, then I doubt the defense would have much to worry about in regards to giving up a late lead.

zulater
11-14-2010, 06:16 PM
You were complaining about running to much just like last years complaints were about throwing to much. Since you have already stated that BA make the calls who where you supposable talking about if not BA. Last year was last year, this is a new season, don't expect me to get all upset because we are 6 and 2, (just like last year.

I just hope that the defense can hold the lead tonight when it's given to them.

Not everyone has to agree with you.

Au contraire Tex. I don't want everyone to agree with me, the board is dull as dirt when we all sing the same tune.

And if the offense could play the first 3 quarters up to the standards the defense always does, do you really think we'd have anything to worry about late in games?

cold-hard-steel
11-14-2010, 06:26 PM
LeBeau gets a free pass on this board? lol, tell me another. Look, I wish the defense would play a full four quarters as well. I understand where it can be confusing how the defense can play tremendous for a full 3 quarters and then craps it pants in the fourth quarter. I've got some theories as to why, but I wont get into them here.

But what I will say is that if the offense could display a similiar brilliance for 3 quarters in a game, any 3 quarters, then I doubt the defense would have much to worry about in regards to giving up a late lead.

I think the execution of the plays called is more to blame than the play called itself. It would be beautiful if our defense could spend 3/4 of the game on the sideline. For that to happen it has to come down to the offense executing the plays that are being sent in. We are not in the cruise mode yet,and we as a team have a lot to get together at this juncture of the season.Being 6-2 though,i have very little to complain about. I want to see how we stand up to the challenge before us tonight before i get too intricate in my discretions. I think our coaches and players know we are by no means a finished product,and for that i am gratefull. That means we still have room to grow,and i like that.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 06:32 PM

You and I have had this conversation before. No one is saying that the offense can't and shouldn't play better, but few people question Le Beau's play calling or coaching, I seems to me that when ever the defense does have a problem the answer is. " The offense should keep them off the Field." Is the offense playing to conservative in the last qu.? Maybe, but most teams will try to pull the plug and eat up time. This is still a team sport. The offense needs to score and the defense needs to stop the score.

Remember Zu this team has gone though a lot so far this year, and I can understand it appearing to be unsettled at times. I think both the offense and the defense will play better. I think that IF we can get the O-line settled we will see a better running game, and Ben look more like Ben. I also believe that if we can get the defensive back field to cover the field for 4 qu. we will be tough to score on. Lets hope it starts tonight.

We are all steeler fans here.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Au contraire Tex. I don't want everyone to agree with me, the board is dull as dirt when we all sing the same tune.

And if the offense could play the first 3 quarters up to the standards the defense always does, do you really think we'd have anything to worry about late in games?

Well this board will never be boring then bud, I can't think of too many times you and I have agree. Heres to a few more lively conversations.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 06:51 PM

For the most part - YES - the God Lebeau does get a free pass and he got a free pass last year as well when the Steelers D shit the bed in at least 6 games when the O gave them a lead to protect. There are a couple of people on this very board who blamed BA, Reed, Ben - but the facts support that the Steelers D - NOT THE STEELERS O - played a huge part in the Steelers not making the playoffs and if they keep shitting the bed in the 4Q this season, they'll once again be watching the playoffs from their home tv's. If the Cheats* want to win tonight, all they pretty much have to do is pass, pass, pass - game film shows our weaknesses on the D side of the ball (secondary) and the uncanny way they seem to turn to jelly in the 4Q.

On the offensive side of the ball last Sunday in Shitsinnati, 27 points were put up and the Steelers had a 20 point lead in the 4Q. Dejavu happened once again and we were all chewing our nails and shitting our pants right up until the final seconds ticked off that clock because the D - once again - turned to ooey, gooey mush. They did the same thing in the Rats game - shit the bed with less than 2 minutes to go in the game and with 36 seconds remaining in the 4Q, blew the game.

I'm tired of hearing how great this D is stat-wise. Their deplorable play in the 4Q is simply unacceptable. Great D's give it their all for 60 minutes and other than a couple of games, this D hasn't done that since we trounced the Broncs last season.

zulater
11-14-2010, 06:58 PM
For the most part - YES - the God Lebeau does get a free pass and he got a free pass last year as well when the Steelers D shit the bed in at least 6 games when the O gave them a lead to protect. There are a couple of people on this very board who blamed BA, Reed, Ben - but the facts support that the Steelers D - NOT THE STEELERS O - played a huge part in the Steelers not making the playoffs and if they keep shitting the bed in the 4Q this season, they'll once again be watching the playoffs from their home tv's. If the Cheats* want to win tonight, all they pretty much have to do is pass, pass, pass - game film shows our weaknesses on the D side of the ball (secondary) and the uncanny way they seem to turn to jelly in the 4Q.

On the offensive side of the ball last Sunday in Shitsinnati, 27 points were put up and the Steelers had a 20 point lead in the 4Q. Dejavu happened once again and we were all chewing our nails and shitting our pants right up until the final seconds ticked off that clock because the D - once again - turned to ooey, gooey mush. They did the same thing in the Rats game - shit the bed with less than 2 minutes to go in the game and with 36 seconds remaining in the 4Q, blew the game.

I'm tired of hearing how great this D is stat-wise. Their deplorable play in the 4Q is simply unacceptable. Great D's give it their all for 60 minutes and other than a couple of games, this D hasn't done that since we trounced the Broncs last season.

Remind me how'd we build that lead again? And the first and last td scored by the Bengals, offensive turnovers play any part in them?

zulater
11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
The offense was the better unit overall for the season in 2009 by a decent margin. In 2010, not even close so far. the defense has outperformed the offense to a significant degree. I'm hoping for a top performance by all units tonight.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Remind me how'd we build that lead again? And the first and last td scored by the Bengals, offensive turnovers play any part in them?

The defense has to do thier job as well, no matter how they got there. Other teams have done it. The big problem has been the passing defense. Over all the line is playing pretty well, so has the LBers for the most part. That only leave the secondary.

zulater
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
The defense has to do thier job as well, no matter how they got there. Other teams have done it. The big problem has been the passing defense. Over all the line is playing pretty well, so has the LBers for the most part. That only leave the secondary.

The defense gave up one unaided score, that was it, road game, they gave up one terrible touchdown drive. The other two td drives was as much on our offense as it was the defense. Ask Ben, he knows and said so. ( stand up guy, that's one of the tings I like about him) And of course we know the Steelers have weaknesses in the secondary. That's the cross that LeBeau has to shoulder, just as the offensive line is Arians cross to bear. Because of that neither coordinater can be held to a standard of perfection, but one in my opinion is somehow making his cross a lot less visible than the other guy. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which, and of course you're free to disagree. And be wrong.:wink02:

cold-hard-steel
11-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Lets get it on!!!! Game on!!!!!!!!!

zulater
11-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Lets get it on!!!! Game on!!!!!!!!!

Going to take a total team effort to win tonight, and that's what I'm anticpating! :applaudit:

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 07:31 PM
The defense gave up one unaided score, that was it, road game, they gave up one terrible touchdown drive. The other two td drives was as much on our offense as it was the defense. Ask Ben, he knows and said so. ( stand up guy, that's one of the tings I like about him) And of course we know the Steelers have weaknesses in the secondary. That's the cross that LeBeau has to shoulder, just as the offensive line is Arians cross to bear. Because of that neither coordinater can be held to a standard of perfection, but one in my opinion is somehow making his cross a lot less visible than the other guy. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is which, and of course you're free to disagree. And be wrong.:wink02:

Of course the offense is taking the blame, and the the defense is taking the blame, and the coaches are taking the blame. That is what a team does bud. The only one that thinks they have all the answers are the fans. Fact is each unit has their jobs to do, and blaming the other unit just doesn't work. Like I've said before, other teams have had this happen before and got the job done. I just think that our offense and defense should be as good, particularly when one is considered the best in football, you figure which one.

That's why I love arguing with you, I'm never wrong.

zulater
11-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Well so far the offense and defense are playing at the same level. Equally bad.

Is there a game thread to be found on this board?

fansince'76
11-14-2010, 08:08 PM
Is there a game thread to be found on this board?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/4151-Steelers-v.-Cheats*-SNF-Game-Thread-November-14-2010

X-Terminator
11-14-2010, 09:16 PM

If the defense is supposed to be so great, they get the job done if the offense turns the ball over. They did not. And as we're seeing tonight, they definitely are NOT as great as Steelers fans say they are.

Bottom line is the offense spotted them a 20-point lead. Immediately after they took that 20 point lead that the OFFENSE gave them, they allowed the Bengals to march right down the field and score, thereby taking the momentum away from the Steelers. And were it not for James Harrison, the Steelers would have been handed one of their most embarrassing losses in recent memory. This has been an ongoing problem for so many years with the possible exception of the 2008 season, and even then, they blew a lead in the Super Bowl only to have the offense bail them out. It's time to stop blaming the offense for the failures of the defense, and start blaming the DEFENSE when they screw up.

HometownGal
11-14-2010, 09:22 PM

It doesn't matter how we built that lead - the fact is that the O provided a 20 point cushion in the 4Q and the D almost blew another game. The O's job is to put points on the board whether they start at their 1 YL or their opponents' 1 YL. The O did its job. The D's job is to stop the opponent from scoring whether it's a 99 yard drive or a 1 yard scamper. They did not and gave the Bungles 2 TD's in the 4th and stopped the Bungles at the 11th hour by the hair on their asses. Period.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:00 PM
It doesn't matter how we built that lead - the fact is that the O provided a 20 point cushion in the 4Q and the D almost blew another game. The O's job is to put points on the board whether they start at their 1 YL or their opponents' 1 YL. The O did its job. The D's job is to stop the opponent from scoring whether it's a 99 yard drive or a 1 yard scamper. They did not and gave the Bungles 2 TD's in the 4th and stopped the Bungles at the 11th hour by the hair on their asses. Period.

Our offense sucks. Tonight our defense does too, but usually it's just the offense that blows.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:03 PM
If the defense is supposed to be so great, they get the job done if the offense turns the ball over. They did not. And as we're seeing tonight, they definitely are NOT as great as Steelers fans say they are.

Bottom line is the offense spotted them a 20-point lead. Immediately after they took that 20 point lead that the OFFENSE gave them, they allowed the Bengals to march right down the field and score, thereby taking the momentum away from the Steelers. And were it not for James Harrison, the Steelers would have been handed one of their most embarrassing losses in recent memory. This has been an ongoing problem for so many years with the possible exception of the 2008 season, and even then, they blew a lead in the Super Bowl only to have the offense bail them out. It's time to stop blaming the offense for the failures of the defense, and start blaming the DEFENSE when they screw up.

Ben will never be as good as he should be until we get rid or Arians. Thankfully that day might be rapidly approaching as our offensive ineptitude shows through once again.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Our offense sucks. Tonight our defense does too, but usually it's just the offense that blows.

No, this is the second straight game that no one has covered the middle of the field. They have just expanded their game to all four Qus. and not just the last one.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
No, this is the second straight game that no one has covered the middle of the field. They have just expanded their game to all four Qus. and not just the last one.

Put it this way, as long as Brady isn't lining up on the other side I'm not real worried about our defense embarrassing itself. Offensivley, we can look inept against pretty much anyone, and it's generally what I've come to expect.

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Put it this way, as long as Brady isn't lining up on the other side I'm not real worried about our defense embarrassing itself. Offensivley, we can look inept against pretty much anyone, and it's generally what I've come to expect.

guess you didn't watch the 4th Qu. of the last game.

zulater
11-14-2010, 10:23 PM
guess you didn't watch the 4th Qu. of the last game.

Yeah I did, and we stopped them at the end of the game.

Shit no sense arguing with the ADL, it's obvious that the defense is the weak link of this club. :doh: Someday I hope LeBeua's star shines as bright as Arians the great1

Texasteel
11-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Yeah I did, and we stopped them at the end of the game.

Shit no sense arguing with the ADL, it's obvious that the defense is the weak link of this club. :doh: Someday I hope LeBeua's star shines as bright as Arians the great1

I'm not sure what ADL is but I'm sure it's an insult, that is what you normally do with people that disagree with you.

I don't hate our defense and you comment about LeBeus and Arians is asinine. How ever I will not give the defense a free pass when they mess up no matter who the coach is. I've see both the offense and the defense play well, and play poorly. I personally think the defense is better that the offense, but I don't feel the need to try to run down one to make the other look better. Like it or not the defense has played badly, and not just tonight.

I may be wasting my time with someone that simply hate our offense and everything that gos with it

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Ben will never be as good as he should be until we get rid or Arians. Thankfully that day might be rapidly approaching as our offensive ineptitude shows through once again.

Woah....looks like a hater among us. Are you confused why Brady can find open receivers in 2 seconds, but after 5 seconds Ben is still looking for an open man?? Just something that seemed odd to me.

fansince'76
11-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Woah....looks like a hater among us. Are you confused why Brady can find open receivers in 2 seconds, but after 5 seconds Ben is still looking for an open man?? Just something that seemed odd to me.

Really? Ben got 5 seconds? When? Seems to me he was immediately flushed from the pocket as soon as the ball was snapped even on 3-man rushes. :noidea:

zulater
11-14-2010, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure what ADL is but I'm sure it's an insult, that is what you normally do with people that disagree with you.

I don't hate our defense and you comment about LeBeus and Arians is asinine. How ever I will not give the defense a free pass when they mess up no matter who the coach is. I've see both the offense and the defense play well, and play poorly. I personally think the defense is better that the offense, but I don't feel the need to try to run down one to make the other look better. Like it or not the defense has played badly, and not just tonight.

I may be wasting my time with someone that simply hate our offense and everything that gos with it

ADL stands for Arians defense league, for all you sycophants who immediatly get your panties all bunched up at the mere suggestion that our offense isn't all that it can or should be and rush to poor Brucie's defense as if he were offering his services for free. ( though he should be)

Does the defense deserve a free pass? Hell no. But at the same token if the defense had played to the god awful standard that the offense has for the majority of the season we'd be lucky to be sitting at 3-6 today.

Thankfully often in the face of disaster a glimmer of hope arises in the ashes. And I think there's more than a decent chance that Ben might have refound himself at the end of the game tonight, and that is our hope going foward. Oh yeah i know it was in "garbage time" yada, yada, yada, but I think once the spark is ignited, even if in total futility, it will stay lit. And Ben, when he gets in his groove is capable of carrying the offense to greater heights than it's worthy of ascending to.

zulater
11-14-2010, 11:37 PM

Change Brady to our offense and i doubt he'd do much better than Ben.

X-Terminator
11-14-2010, 11:44 PM
ADL stands for Arians defense league, for all you sycophants who immediatly get your panties all bunched up at the mere suggestion that our offense isn't all that it can or should be and rush to poor Brucie's defense as if he were offering his services for free. ( though he should be)

Does the defense deserve a free pass? Hell no. But at the same token if the defense had played to the god awful standard that the offense has for the majority of the season we'd be lucky to be sitting at 3-6 today.

No, it's because every time the offense stumbles, the first fucking thing you Arians haters do is point the finger at him, yet come up with every excuse in the book to defend Dick LeBeau when his unit shits the bed, including blaming the offense when they give the defense leads that they ultimately squander. If you haters would give LeBeau the same scrutiny you give Arians at the the first sign of something going wrong, nobody would say a damn word. No, it's this guy is hurt, that guy is hurt. Well, the OL is playing with guys off the street right now due to injury - not that it was any good to begin with, Mendenhall and Miller are playing hurt and now Ward has a concussion. Not to mention a lack of execution, missing open receivers, dropped TD passes and dropped passes that lead to INTs. No, none of that is EVER considered by you haters when it comes to Arians. He is automatically to blame and should be fired. LeBeau? Nah, he's God-like, and thou shalt not question him.

JayC
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM

i wish that would've happned last offseason. i'm not saying arians is the main reason we look inept on offense for long stretches but i think he's a below average OC and a change to someone who would be more of a player-coach relationship instead of ben's buddy would do the offense some good. whenver we had wiz ben and he didn't get along and i don't remember being extremly frustrated with the play calling like i've been the past 3 years.

when i look at our offense on paper i think they have the potential to be great but i just don't see the results on the field yet this year. they are sloppy and make too many mistakes. it might be player execution but i'd welcome an OC if we keep playing like this.

zulater
11-14-2010, 11:50 PM
No, it's because every time the offense stumbles, the first fucking thing you Arians haters do is point the finger at him, yet come up with every excuse in the book to defend Dick LeBeau when his unit shits the bed, including blaming the offense when they give the defense leads that they ultimately squander. If you haters would give LeBeau the same scrutiny you give Arians at the the first sign of something going wrong, nobody would say a damn word.

Looking foward to Arains Hall of fame induction aren't you? How 'bout his next job, i'll bet they'll be lining up at his doorstep once the Steelers are finished with him. I guess we're just lucky that Bruce is a modest sort and didn't parlay his Super Bowl triumph into a sure head coaching job like winning coordinaters generally do.

btw don't go that road on LeBeau, he was actually given an NFL head coaching job, something Bruce the Great will never get a whiff of.

X-Terminator
11-14-2010, 11:53 PM
Looking foward to Arains Hall of fame induction aren't you? How 'bout his next job, i'll bet they'll be lining up at his doorstep once the Steelers are finished with him. I guess we're just lucky that Bruce is a modest sort and didn't parlay his Super Bowl triumph into a sure head coaching job like winning coordinaters generally do.

btw don't go that road on LeBeau, he was actually given an NFL head coaching job, something Bruce the Great will never get a whiff of.

WTF are you talking about? Why the FUCK does every time someone says something about Arians, you pull this bullshit out on them?

All we're asking for is fairness when it comes to the criticism. THAT'S IT. When Lebeau's unit fucks up, how about criticizing him for it rather than make excuses?

zulater
11-14-2010, 11:59 PM
WTF are you talking about? Why the FUCK does every time someone says something about Arians, you pull this bullshit out on them?

All we're asking for is fairness when it comes to the criticism. THAT'S IT. When Lebeau's unit fucks up, how about criticizing him for it rather than make excuses?

The defense sucked tonight, who's making excuses for them for tonight's game?

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 12:06 AM
The defense sucked tonight, who's making excuses for them for tonight's game?

I'm not talking about tonight, I'm talking about past games. What happened tonight was what has been happening to them for the past 2 seasons in the 4th quarter, except this time it was for the entire game. When it happens in the 4th, who gets blamed for it? Not the defense.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Nobody played well tonight on offense or defense, and I hope they all bounce back with a better performance next week.

stlrtruck
11-15-2010, 06:03 AM
So last year the media was on us about how much we run, now they want to turn the tables and say we don't pass enough?

I think we can all agree as long as we don't come out and play as crappy as we did last night, we don't care how we get the job done. JUST WIN!

zulater
11-15-2010, 06:08 AM
How 'bout this, how bout next Sunday the Steelers put together some decent drives that end up in the end zone while it still matters. I don't care what the run- pass ratio is, I'm not claiming that i have all the answers, I'm just saying the guys that take the checks to play and coach this wonderfull game need to start earning them.

Texasteel
11-15-2010, 06:50 AM
ADL stands for Arians defense league, for all you sycophants who immediately get your panties all bunched up at the mere suggestion that our offense isn't all that it can or should be and rush to poor Brucie's defense as if he were offering his services for free. ( though he should be)

Thankfully often in the face of disaster a glimmer of hope arises in the ashes. And I think there's more than a decent chance that Ben might have refound himself at the end of the game tonight, and that is our hope going foward. Oh yeah i know it was in "garbage time" yada, yada, yada, but I think once the spark is ignited, even if in total futility, it will stay lit. And Ben, when he gets in his groove is capable of carrying the offense to greater heights than it's worthy of ascending to.

Don't think I was the one that brought BAs name up, I believe you did. Then again you always do. In fact you mentioned his name a lot last night. I do not love or hate BA. I simply will not blame everything that go's wrong on him. When Ba does leave this team we'll simply replace him, when Dick leave I will probably shed a tear or two.

The point I was making, and you know it, is that the defense has not play well at several time, and I will not make excuses for them as well. Dick has made some decisions and calls that I though were bad, and there were times that some very good players did not play that well. Plus the fact that the secondary look lost most of the time, at times even Troy. I did not compare the Hall of Fame defensive coach, to want I see as a fairly good offensive coach, I will leave that trash to you.

This team will win as a unit, or loose as a unit. The players know that, the coaches know that. There is still a lot of season to go, Ben started looking a bit sharper at the end of last nights game. Hopefully we will get some sort of healthy line back, both offense and defense, and we can figure out just how to cover receivers for more than the count of 2.

I understand the life is a lot simpler if you can look at one thing and say, there is the problem, but it normally doesn't work out that way.

zulater
11-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Don't think I was the one that brought BAs name up, I believe you did. Then again you always do.

No I didn't, HTG did, as she nearly always does any time offensive production is questioned.

In fact you mentioned his name a lot last night. I do not love or hate BA. I simply will not blame everything that go's wrong on him. When Ba does leave this team we'll simply replace him, when Dick leave I will probably shed a tear or two.

When Arians leaves I predict Ben's game will ascend that final step to greatness.

The point I was making, and you know it, is that the defense has not play well at several time, and I will not make excuses for them as well. Dick has made some decisions and calls that I though were bad, and there were times that some very good players did not play that well. Plus the fact that the secondary look lost most of the time, at times even Troy. I did not compare the Hall of Fame defensive coach, to want I see as a fairly good offensive coach, I will leave that trash to you.

Fair enough, I love to shovel the trash. lol

This team will win as a unit, or loose as a unit. The players know that, the coaches know that. There is still a lot of season to go, Ben started looking a bit sharper at the end of last nights game. Hopefully we will get some sort of healthy line back, both offense and defense, and we can figure out just how to cover receivers for more than the count of 2.

I understand the life is a lot simpler if you can look at one thing and say, there is the problem, but it normally doesn't work out that way.

This is what i Suspected going into last night's game, and this is why I started this thread. To wit, we weren't going to win last night's game any other way than in a shootout. I was pretty sure that the Pats would score early and often against us, because defensively we match up poorly against them. And in my opinion our passing game, our best player, wasn't properly prepared to succeed in such a circumstance.

As I said before, the defense (imo) towed a disproportinate share of the load for most of the first 8 games, this was a game that I thought that the opposite was going to be in effect, and that our best ( and only ) chance to win would be to come out full throttle offensivley and set the tempo of the game with that unit, much as we did last season against a much superior defense when we beat the Packers in a shotout scenario.

The Patriots was 29th in the league going into last night's game. I understand that's somewhat misleading, pointswise they're better than that, but they were explotiable none the less, and we didn't lay waste to their vulnerability. Again because in my opinion the offense wasn't brought up to speed going into last night.

You know when Bruce should have been getting this passing game fine tuned? In the 3rd quarter of last weeks game against the Bengals, he should have been trying to stretch out that 20-7 lead with Ben instead of run, run, 3rd and long, Ben run for his life, punt possessions that we employed on 3 consecutive possessions to start that quarter!

HometownGal
11-15-2010, 07:19 AM
For the record, Zulater - I mentioned BA's name in SARCASM. On the flip side of the coin, any time the O stinks (as they did last night), you and the BAHC start with your finger-pointing. BA didn't drop those passes last night, throw that pick that resulted in a Pats* TD and I don't recall seeing him playing on that dreadful OL that had Ben running for his life most the night. He also wasn't on the playing field when the Cheats* put up almost 40 points on us. This entire team has problems right now and no one coach or player can be held accountable. Collectively last night, they all stunk out the joint. I'm going to do as I always do after a Steelers loss - put it behind me and get my energies in gear for next week's game. Makes no sense to cry over spilled milk.

Texasteel
11-15-2010, 07:27 AM
Now to be fair Zu, and I know you want to, HTG was just kidding around, which a lot of people here do. I have hear her blast BA before, but like me doesn't blame him for everything that happens. She was just trying to have a good time like the rest of us, and she should.

Keep in mind that BA is trying to fine turn the passing game, plus get Ben into the flow of the game, while the games count. This has to put a lot more pressure on him. Like Dick having to work with a patch up line, the fact that all of a sudden his line has gone to shit can't help. Still I saw some good signs last night as well as bad, on both sides of the ball.

Already looking forward to next weeks game. GO STEELERS

zulater
11-15-2010, 07:32 AM
For the record, Zulater - I mentioned BA's name in SARCASM. On the flip side of the coin, any time the O stinks (as they did last night), you and the BAHC start with your finger-pointing. BA didn't drop those passes last night, throw that pick that resulted in a Pats* TD and I don't recall seeing him playing on that dreadful OL that had Ben running for his life most the night. He also wasn't on the playing field when the Cheats* put up almost 40 points on us. This entire team has problems right now and no one coach or player can be held accountable. Collectively last night, they all stunk out the joint. I'm going to do as I always do after a Steelers loss - put it behind me and get my energies in gear for next week's game. Makes no sense to cry over spilled milk.

As I've said, going into last night's game I thought our only chance to compete with the Patriots was to put on a strong offensive performance. Defensively we match up poorly with them and due to injuries we were more vulnerable than ever going into that game.

I also didn't think a run heavy game would work for us, but i knew we would try it because the Browns did so well with it the work before. The sad part is that BA ( imo) doesn't understand the difference between why that works for the Browns and it wouldn't for us ( hint, they have kick ass o-line, we don't)

What makes Bellichick so brilliant is that he always plays to his teams strenghts in big games, last night our most exploitable advantage was our franchise qb against their defense. But not passing until we were in obvious passing situations early in the game played right to their strenght and away from ours.

Time to recognize facts, this team can't compete against elite passing teams if the training wheels don't come off Ben before the game's out of hand. We have a qb who can dictate a games tempo, but first we've got to let him.

HometownGal
11-15-2010, 08:15 AM
As I've said, going into last night's game I thought our only chance to compete with the Patriots was to put on a strong offensive performance. Defensively we match up poorly with them and due to injuries we were more vulnerable than ever going into that game.

I also didn't think a run heavy game would work for us, but i knew we would try it because the Browns did so well with it the work before. The sad part is that BA ( imo) doesn't understand the difference between why that works for the Browns and it wouldn't for us ( hint, they have kick ass o-line, we don't)

What makes Bellichick so brilliant is that he always plays to his teams strenghts in big games, last night our most exploitable advantage was our franchise qb against their defense. But not passing until we were in obvious passing situations early in the game played right to their strenght and away from ours.

Time to recognize facts, this team can't compete against elite passing teams if the training wheels don't come off Ben before the game's out of hand. We have a qb who can dictate a games tempo, but first we've got to let him.

Points noted Zu, but I don't want to hear any more excuses for the shoddy play of our D no matter who they match up against. I don't want to hear about injuries or pinning our shortcomings on our CB's alone. The entire D needs a huge kick in their asses imho, along with Coach Lebeau (nice to know you all - lightning will strike me in 10 seconds for daring to take the black and gold God to task :heh:).

As far as taking the wheels off Ben - I can't remember if you were in the "why aren't we running the ball more" crowd or not, but it seems a lot of Steelers fans can't make up their minds as to what they want to see. If BA calls a pass heavy game, the B & M'ing kicks up and we hear "why doesn't he run the ball more?" If BA calls a run heavy game, the B & M'ing again kicks up and we hear "why doesn't he take the wheels off Ben?" If BA mixes up the run and the pass, the B & M'ing still is heard from the rooftops. If the D shits the bed (and yes - they did so again last night but the game was gone way before the 4Q this time), it's always the O's fault even when they put up a decent amount of points. Can't please you people. :der:

Look - the entire team last night sucked and there's no two ways about it. Our WR's were dropping very catchable passes that could have resulted in scores. The D gave the Pats* an early lead and the Steelers O was trying to play catch up all night and never got there. Reed missed a FG that may have swung the momentum, but I'm not going to pin the game on him - it was 3 points. We lost our top WR who is a huge playmaker and losing Hines in the O is like losing Troy in the D. Everything that could have gone wrong last night did - again - on all sides of the ball. Are the Pats* a better team than the Steelers? I'd have to say no, but last night, they were a more determined team and that determination was there from the start of the game and carried on to the finish.