PDA

View Full Version : Steelers have best run defense ever, so far

stillers4me
11-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Sunday, November 14, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers have lost both of their starting defensive ends to injuries for various lengths of time, yet their defense continues to treat running backs as if they were tree limbs fed to a wood shredder.

For the only time in NFL history, a defense has not allowed more than 75 yards rushing in any one of its first eight games. That Steelers run defense has allowed just 58.25 yards on average, which at the midway point of their season is on pace to beat the 2000 Baltimore Ravens' 16-game NFL record of 60.625.

They have another half-season to go, and they will play two of the best running teams in the league between now and Christmas -- No. 2 Oakland (162.2 ypg) and the No. 4 New York Jets (148.0).

They probably will not have defensive end Aaron Smith back for either, and defensive end Brett Keisel will miss his third game in the past four tonight with a hamstring injury. Smith always has been a major factor why the run defense is so consistently good, so it may not hold up in the second half the way it did through eight games. That is why coach Mike Tomlin is holding a roster spot for him, for a possible playoff run.................

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10318/1103171-66.stm#ixzz15GPCZXhf

LLT
11-14-2010, 07:46 AM
This defense is special. I believe that we are one player away from being able to do everything that lebeau would do in a perfect world....but none the less...they are formidable.

st33lersguy
11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
Too bad the pass D has been lagging in 4th quarters again

solardave
11-14-2010, 09:35 AM
If we get after the QB and tackle on the way instead of playing prevent this would change I believe.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2010, 12:04 PM
Too bad the pass D has been lagging in 4th quarters again

this, 60 of the 123 points we've allowed this season come from the 4th quarter. And guess how our opponents are scoring...

Merchant
11-14-2010, 01:37 PM
And of course, everyone comes in bashing the Pass Defense. smh.

steelpride12
11-14-2010, 01:40 PM
And of course, everyone comes in bashing the Pass Defense. smh.
It's never good enough, 6 rings can really fog and spoil your respect.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Yeeeeah ok, let's just ignore our biggest problem then until it bites us in the ass

steelpride12
11-14-2010, 02:37 PM
Yeeeeah ok, let's just ignore our biggest problem then until it bites us in the ass
It's been our biggest weakness for many seasons now its nothing new. The Steeler secondary was not that good in 08' and look at the results.

Steeltreal
11-14-2010, 02:44 PM
It's been our biggest weakness for many seasons now its nothing new. The Steeler secondary was not that good in 08' and look at the results.

That secondary can thank the fiercest OLB combo in NFL History

tube517
11-14-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree with you to a point. The '08 defense allowed 56.5% completion rate vs the '10 defense allowing a 67.2% completion rate. It has holes. But, that is always what you risk in this scheme. On the other hand, they have allowed only 8 passing TD's so far(3rd best in the NFL). Bend but don't break makes for games that are too close for comfort.

steelpride12
11-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Exactly. Our defenses have never always been perfect, there are holes and they have always come from the secondary, but bend and don't break is the steelers scheme which shall be tested tonight for sure.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2010, 11:09 PM
So.....are we done salivating over our run defense now?

fansince'76
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
So.....are we done salivating over our run defense now?

Hey, we only gave up 350 to the Mighty Metrosexual tonight - we gave up 399 to him last time! :chuckle:

venom
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM
Serenity Now

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Hood looked less than average. Eason only slightly better. It all starts up front, but sadly the line has gotten old, injured and lacks depth.

Hampton and Smith are the real stars on the d line and with Smith out, Casey cant be everywhere.

Psycho Ward 86
11-14-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey, we only gave up 350 to the Mighty Metrosexual tonight - we gave up 399 to him last time! :chuckle:

Improvement is good! :chuckle:

Steeldude
11-14-2010, 11:45 PM
it almost appears that lebeau wants his D-linemen to do nothing but stand still and play touchy-feely. IMO, it would have been the same with a young keisel, young hampton and young smith. basically the steelers aren't even rushing 3. it's like they drop 8 and tell the 3 linemen to pretend to have cerebral palsy. it seems lebeau has lost his touch and become complacent. he is way too passive. he did one good blitz and it paid off(what a surprise), but it was right back to the 3-8 defense which does absolutely nothing. i know, i know, lebeau is the greatest DC ever...blah blah blah. it's time to get aggressive, but that's just my opinion.

Steeldude
11-14-2010, 11:46 PM
why run against the steelers when it is so ridiculously easy to pass against them?

SirHulka
11-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Marcia Brady: “You lose a game in Cleveland and you think you’re the worst quarterback in the world,”

Damn you guys. I wanted you to plant his ass in the ground so bad. WTF happened to your "great" defense? Now that prissy primadonna is going to start believing he's the best thing since sliced bread. Did you even hit him at all? What happened to blitzburg? I tell you what, LeBeau just doesn't seem to be LeBeau anymore. Polamalu used to be a wild man, but now it seems like he's playing 'in the system'. Tame a wild man, and he becomes useless. JMHO.

If your D keeps playing like this all season long, you'll end up in 3rd place in the AFCN.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm really pissed that you let that:censored::censored::censored::censored::frust y:Brady shred your D like he did.

SteelTheOne
11-15-2010, 04:00 AM
I've said this all along. Our middle defense is SO SLOW. Ziggy has not produced anymore speed than the others before him. Hampton is overrated and over paid. Farrior, Smith and keisel needed replaced last year. We are still a good team. We just need some playmakers inside.

NCSteeler
11-15-2010, 04:12 AM
I've said this all along. Our middle defense is SO SLOW. Ziggy has not produced anymore speed than the others before him. Hampton is overrated and over paid. Farrior, Smith and keisel needed replaced last year. We are still a good team. We just need some playmakers inside.

Hampton is so not over rated. Keisel , is eh. Smith is old and now injury prone. Ziggy just doesn't seem to be getting it done.

Austin87
11-15-2010, 04:48 AM

LOL. This is a bunch of bullshit tbh. Ziggy is a young guy trying to learn Lebeau's defense and if it wasn't for the A.Smith injury he wouldn't be starting. Hampton is a very good NT. And why would you want to replace two of the best 3-4 ends in the league. Farrior is the captain of the defense and has played well this season.

You do know that our pass defense and not our rush defense is the problem here. We need some playmakers in the secondary.

SirHulka
11-15-2010, 08:04 AM
You do know that our pass defense and not our rush defense is the problem here. We need some playmakers in the secondary.

That plus the O-line sucks.

fansince'76
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM

I'd settle for someone who could cover a frigging TE.

The Duke
11-15-2010, 09:53 AM
Farrior, Smith and keisel needed replaced last year.

:rofl: you really don't like old guys playing on the D do you?

I'd settle for someone who could cover a frigging TE.

why wasn't timmons on gronkowski anyway? after the 1st touchdown at least

gay on a 6'6 TE? That's something I never want to see again!

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-15-2010, 10:04 AM
Hampton is so not over rated. Keisel , is eh. Smith is old and now injury prone. Ziggy just doesn't seem to be getting it done.

I agree with you here. Hampton is playing outstanding. Keisel is OK when playing and Smith is near the end of the line. Hood is the only guy in reserve here and he's no superstar.

The steeler pass defense is predicated on pressure and collapsing the pocket. None of that happened last night and I fear will not happen often until Keisel returns and Hood steps up his game with Eason and Hoke rotating in frequently.

Psycho Ward 86
11-15-2010, 06:37 PM
:rofl: you really don't like old guys playing on the D do you?

why wasn't timmons on gronkowski anyway? after the 1st touchdown at least

gay on a 6'6 TE? That's something I never want to see again!

And guess who allowed all 3 of those TD's -.-'