PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Spygate's haunting question

stillers4me
11-14-2010, 07:12 AM
By Joe Starkey (jraystarkey@gmail.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 14, 2010

Hate to raise a sore subject, but Bill Belichick's* in town for the first time since "Spygate" broke, so it only seems appropriate. It's also a significant part of what has spiced the underrated Steelers-Patriots* rivalry over the past decade:

Cheating.

Belichick*, by any measure, is one of the best coaches in NFL history. And he brazenly broke league rules for seven-plus years, starting in 2000, before his former assistant, Eric Mangini, went all John Dean and blew the whistle on the Patriots' video games.
Belichick stole signals in broad daylight, ordering his minions to videotape opposing coaches on the sidelines. He wasn't the only one, and nobody can say for sure how much the taping aided the Patriots* in winning three Super Bowls (nobody except Belichick*, that is, and he'd rather serve as Mangini's personal masseuse than talk about it) but the haunting question remains:

Why would Mr. Bill* have continued the practice for so long if it wasn't doing him any good?.............................

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_709276.html

stillers4me
11-14-2010, 07:13 AM
Revenge is best served Black and Gold.

Do it, Hines.

Butch
11-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I will never forget Hines after the AFC Championship game saying it was as if they knew our plays before we ran them, that was before the spygate broke, and looking back at it Hine they did know what was coming. Don't tell me it didn't give them some advantage when earlier in the season we had demolished them stopping their incredible win streak cold and then they completely turned the tables on us.

I will never forgive Belicheat, the organisation or the NFL for allowing this to happen and then sweeping it under the rug as if nothing serios happened. Shame on you all!!!

VTsteel
11-14-2010, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=Butch;89095]I will never forget Hines after the AFC Championship game saying it was as if they knew our plays before we ran them, [QUOTE]

Me too! I remember Hines saying that. And I remember thinking that during the game as well. And when the news broke (some years later) - I immediately understood why we kept losing to thos asshats - They were cheating! When they beat St. louis in the Superbowl in 2002 they did to the Rams exactly what we would've done (hit them in the ribs and make those receivers grow alligator arms). I believe w/ every ounce of my soul that had the Cheats played fairly w/ us - we would've gone on and beaten the Rams. I mean even w/ all the cheating they barely beat us at home. They definitely robbed us of at least 1 superbowl.

Damn - I want revenge very badly . . .

silver & black
11-14-2010, 09:05 AM
I will never forget Hines after the AFC Championship game saying it was as if they knew our plays before we ran them, that was before the spygate broke, and looking back at it Hine they did know what was coming. Don't tell me it didn't give them some advantage when earlier in the season we had demolished them stopping their incredible win streak cold and then they completely turned the tables on us.

I will never forgive Belicheat, the organisation or the NFL for allowing this to happen and then sweeping it under the rug as if nothing serios happened. Shame on you all!!!

Our players said the same thing after the "tuck" game.

Count Steeler
11-14-2010, 09:14 AM
So much for cheaters never prospering. Hard hitters are a danger to the game, but cheaters are allowed. Nice one Commish. I'm sure you can find a way to blame this on Harrison as well. What do you say, 25,000?

solardave
11-14-2010, 09:29 AM

Don't forget destroying the evidence was Goodell's first official act. We should have put him away then!!!

SteelerEmpire
11-14-2010, 09:37 AM
This was bad. Just bad. This A-hole commish basically swept it under the rug. They can go back and take Reggie Bush's Heisman years later, pick on James Harrison because he basically has no power to argue against them, but will not punish Kraft, Bellicheat, and the "NE Stealers" in retrospect cause it would "hurt the NFL's image as a responsible, respected organization". PUNKS !!! I HATE organizations and people like that !!!

LLT
11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
Just to set the record straight. We KNOW that the patriots cheated up until 2007.

From 2001-2007 (and you have to count 2007, because even though they were caught that year...they still had the signals)

2001- Won Conference Championship against Steelers 24-17
Won Super Bowl XXXVI against Rams 20-17

2002 ended up 2nd in AFC East, 9-7 record

2003-Won Conference Championship against the Colts 24-14
Won Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Panthers 32-29

2004- Won Conference Championship against the Steelers 41-27
Won Super Bowl XXXIX against the Eagles 24-21

2005 Won Wild Card Playoffs against the Jaguars) 28-3
Lost Divisional Playoffs against Broncos 27-13

2006- Won Divisional Playoffs to Chargers 24-21
Lost Conference Championship against the Colts 38-34

2007- Won Conference Championship against the Chargers 21-12
Lost Super Bowl XLII to Giants 17-14

Now.....has anyone realized....the Patriots have not won even ONE playoff game in the two seasons since they were caught?

SteelerEmpire
11-14-2010, 09:54 AM
Just to set the record straight. We KNOW that the patriots cheated up until 2007.

From 2001-2007 (and you have to count 2007, because even though they were caught that year...they still had the signals)

2001- Won Conference Championship against Steelers 24-17
Won Super Bowl XXXVI against Rams 20-17

2002 ended up 2nd in AFC East, 9-7 record

2003-Won Conference Championship against the Colts 24-14
Won Super Bowl XXXVIII against the Panthers 32-29

2004- Won Conference Championship against the Steelers 41-27
Won Super Bowl XXXIX against the Eagles 24-21

2005 Won Wild Card Playoffs against the Jaguars) 28-3
Lost Divisional Playoffs against Broncos 27-13

2006- Won Divisional Playoffs to Chargers 24-21
Lost Conference Championship against the Colts 38-34

2007- Won Conference Championship against the Chargers 21-12
Lost Super Bowl XLII to Giants 17-14

Now.....has anyone realized....the Patriots have not won even ONE playoff game in the two seasons since they were caught?

Correct. The year they went 18-1 is because teams still had the same hand signals going... they didn't have the chance to switch them out yet. No playoff games since no spygate ? The truth sets us free...

JayC
11-14-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's the typical patriots fan response if you bring up spygate: the steelers were on roids for 4 superbowls and paid off the refs vs seattle

SMR
11-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Here's the typical patriots fan response if you bring up spygate: the steelers were on roids for 4 superbowls and paid off the refs vs seattle
lol, and that's their best argument!

JayC
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
tom brady just kicked our ass without spying, i think that settles it that it didn't matter.

VTsteel
11-14-2010, 11:08 PM
tom brady just kicked our ass without spying, i think that settles it that it didn't matter.

This didn't settle anything. i know a zebra doesn't change his stripes . . . . neither does a cheater. I don't know what they're doing - but i guarantee you they are still cheating somehow. Brady made it look too easy - Illkin kept saying it and I agree. It didn't help that our defense was pretty flat and uninspired tonight.

Shoes
11-14-2010, 11:11 PM

Exactly.....and we'll hear the same canned talk sound bites from coaches and players.

The Patriot
11-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Brady made it look too easy.
I know! He too often does that. :heh:

Ben made it look too easy in the 4th quarter. The difference in this game were the offensive lines. If you can't touch a QB, you're going to make it easy for him.

SteelTheOne
11-15-2010, 04:09 AM
The Patriots kicked our ass on and off the field (coaching) in those AFC Championship games. We should have won the first one, but didn't. Sloppy play. You can call Brady names and cry cheater all you want. I guess they cheated last night?

NCSteeler
11-15-2010, 04:23 AM
My only real ? is why do announcers, or post game commentators never ever talk about it? You get to hear ll about who was suspended for roids who has a DUI, who molested who in what bathroom. With the Pats you hear about the records they set, how great Billicheat is and the great Tom brady, but they never equate any of it to the possibility that it is only so due to cheating. I assume the league has a hush mandate.

X-Terminator
11-15-2010, 04:34 AM
When all you have to do is say "See 20 and 22? Throw it over there", who needs to spy? :coffee:

vasteeler
11-15-2010, 10:39 AM
When all you have to do is say "See 20 and 22? Throw it over there", who needs to spy? :coffee:

ding ding ding, we have a winner