PDA

View Full Version : NFL admits they have idiot refs (We r sorry Steelers)

BPS3akaWirels3
11-12-2010, 10:03 AM
NFL says officials made 2 wrong calls against Steelers
Friday, November 12, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Steelers have been informed by the National Football League that two penalties that almost cost them in Monday night's victory in Cincinnati should not have been called, the Post-Gazette has learned.
Coach Mike Tomlin sent a complaint to the league office earlier this week, challenging the roughing-the-passer penalty on nose tackle Casey Hampton and a pass interference penalty against cornerback Ike Taylor on back-to-back plays that allowed the Bengals to move to the Steelers 1 in the fourth quarter.
Two plays later, the Bengals scored on a 1-yard run by Cedric Benson to cut the Steelers lead to 27-21.
After Jeff Reed missed a 46-yard field goal that would have given the Steelers a nine-point lead, the Bengals drove to the Steelers 12 and had a chance to win the game until a fourth-down pass to rookie receiver Jordan Shipley was broken up by Taylor and linebacker James Harrison with 34 seconds remaining.
The league informed the Steelers the penalty against Hampton should not have been called because he hit quarterback Carson Palmer on the thigh, not below the knee or to the head, after an incomplete pass.
On the next play from the Steelers 21, Taylor was penalized for pass interference against Terrell Owens, a call that was made by the official in the back of the end zone, not the side judge who was right in front of the play on the left sideline. The league told the Steelers no penalty should have been called.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316/1102790-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz155J6DDhe

steelpride12
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Well it's a little to late to say your sorry. Those stupid plays gave the Bungles a free TD on that drive and almost lost us the game, I don't blame the defense for that drive at all, poor penalties really killed us.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-12-2010, 10:08 AM
My point to this is that I am so sick of "Other Fans" saying the NFL refs always give the Steelers the win..

salamander
11-12-2010, 10:18 AM
It's all a conspiracy!! :rant:

:wink02:

SteelerSal
11-12-2010, 10:26 AM
We get one or two of theses apologies a year it seems...only this time we were on the winning end of it for a change.

fansince'76
11-12-2010, 10:28 AM
BUT, BUT, BUT DA NFL WUNTS DA STEALERS TOO WINNN SOES DEY KIN MAKE MORE MUNNEY! :coffee:

X-Terminator
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Those were two outright brutal calls, but really, what good does it do to challenge them now? They already directly affected the game and could have cost them the game. What are they going to do, take the TD away?

But yeah, the officiating sucks balls, and yeah, this is proof that the Steelers get screwed on calls just like every other team. The league doesn't give them a damn thing.

steelpride12
11-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Those were two outright brutal calls, but really, what good does it do to challenge them now? They already directly affected the game and could have cost them the game. What are they going to do, take the TD away?

But yeah, the officiating sucks balls, and yeah, this is proof that the Steelers get screwed on calls just like every other team. The league doesn't give them a damn thing.
But the screwed up thing us no one, but Steeler fans will take any acknowledgment of these mis calls and once again the Steelers will go down as a team who get's all the calls their way and pays off the refs.

fansince'76
11-12-2010, 10:37 AM
But yeah, the officiating sucks balls, and yeah, this is proof that the Steelers get screwed on calls just like every other team.

I blame the idiotic rule changes over the last couple of years which have increasingly relied on the refs making split-second judgment calls more than I blame the refs themselves. Either let them play football or give them belts with flags on them already.

Indo
11-12-2010, 10:40 AM
The beautiful thing, though, is that despite the bad calls, the Steelers STILL found a way to overcome and win the game (thank you, James) unlike the other asshat coaches (Yes, I'm talkin' 'bout YOU Holmgren) who bitch and moan (STILL) about bad officiating and how it's soooo unfair.

Steeldude
11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
what i hated about the so-called PI was the fact they didn't call it until owens started crying for a flag.

Merchant
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
The whole PI rule needs to be changed from the spot of the foul to a 15 yard penalty. The fact that an opponent can heave a hail mary into the endzone on the last play of the game and be the benificiary of a 70 yard penalty is absolutely ridiculous.

stlrtruck
11-12-2010, 10:52 AM
So intensifying your attempt to make this league less aggressive is more important than getting officials who actually understand the rules as they are on the books? Sounds to me like the NFL has their priorities in the wrong place.

Maybe they should be something like this:

1. Fix the CBA before the end of the season
2. Get officials onboard at a full time status that can be trained and educated on a weekly basis about the rules and future rule changes, rather than ones that go to a court room on Tuesday, then report to some random NFL city for a game on Friday night.
3. Work with players (current and past), owners, and coaches on league safety WITHOUT destroying the foundation of the league.

Moose
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I agree Steeldude-- you could almost see that coming. TO whinning and crying about it, and the 'lost' look on the refs face---then, wif--here comes the flag. The announcers even said how LATE the flag was. That's BS !! You either see it or not !! And what IF that TD would have cost us the game ? A division game ? Could very easily come down to making the play off or NOT !! I think if the league is going to come up with all of these azinine fines for the players playing...or coaches speaking their minds, then I think it's time for the refs to start putting some greenback in the pot also for bad calls---especially ones that cost a team a game !! Then I think that that particular game should be scratched ( or asterick) from the record that wouldn't affect the team when play-offs come around.

Raleigh Steel
11-12-2010, 11:04 AM
suck it steeler haters. after the miami game, i read all over the place was that the steelers are always on the winning side of these calls. what these morons don't know, or fail to realize is that the steelers get shafted all the time, but find a way to overcome it (colts playoff game in 05, sunday night vs bengals just to name a few).

good teams, find a way to overcome adversity and win. oh, and the officiating was really good in the super bowl 40...so steelers haters, i say once again...SUCK IT!

tube517
11-12-2010, 11:26 AM
After the apology, the NFL stated they are fining James Harrison for the mistake.

SteelerSal
11-12-2010, 11:27 AM
After the apology, the NFL stated they are fining James Harrison for the mistake.

LMAO :lol:

zulater
11-12-2010, 11:47 AM
While they were at it they could have apoligized for the ridiculous OPI call against Hines Ward the week before in New Orleans, and the uncalled helmet to helmet hit against Ward on the same play.

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
And the fact is that no one outside of Steeler fans will ever hear about this and they will go on thinking that we get all the calls.

Texasteel
11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
While they were at it they could have apoligized for the ridiculous OPI call against Hines Ward the week before in New Orleans, and the uncalled helmet to helmet hit against Ward on the same play.

I have bit my tongue ever since that game. Hines got called for simply slapping the guys hand off his chest. Now they officially acknowledge the these two calls were bullshit. I think the constant whining of the other teams are to blame for these call. That and the fact that the poor idiot refs really have no idea how Goodell and the league whats this game called.

7SteelGal43
11-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Me and a buddy (a Bengals fan) were talking about bad calls in this game. The first thing he pointed out to me was that the Vegas line in this game was (you guessed it) 6 pts. Do you think Vegas could be why there are so many missed calls or bad calls in games ? *

*the person who posted this comment is not a conspiracy theorist and the purpose of this post was to throw a thought out there. :pop2:

Dino 6 Rings
11-12-2010, 12:48 PM
Calls go both ways...funny how Good Teams Still WIN when the calls go against them.

Texasteel
11-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Me and a buddy (a Bengals fan) were talking about bad calls in this game. The first thing he pointed out to me was that the Vegas line in this game was (you guessed it) 6 pts. Do you think Vegas could be why there are so many missed calls or bad calls in games ? *

I was thinking about just this, but then decided, Naaaaaaaaaaaaa, it's Goodell's fault.

Steeldude
11-12-2010, 02:21 PM
The whole PI rule needs to be changed from the spot of the foul to a 15 yard penalty. The fact that an opponent can heave a hail mary into the endzone on the last play of the game and be the benificiary of a 70 yard penalty is absolutely ridiculous.

or at least half the distance from the spot of the foul or 15 yards. whichever is greater.

the reason i bring up half the distance from the spot of the foul is because DBs will start taking down any WR they feel has the jump on them.

Craic
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't really see the point of the NFL doing something like this. It won't change the outcome of the game.. even if we lost, they won't give us a W, neither should they. Really, all it does is undermine one of the least appreciated positions in all of sports (except being a Steelers OC-and not running 50 times a game).

vasteeler
11-12-2010, 04:26 PM
I don't really see the point of the NFL doing something like this. It won't change the outcome of the game.. even if we lost, they won't give us a W, neither should they. Really, all it does is undermine one of the least appreciated positions in all of sports (except being a Steelers OC-and not running 50 times a game).

agreed, why even come out and admit to making the mistakes. it only adds fuel to the fire

vasteeler
11-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I have bit my tongue ever since that game. Hines got called for simply slapping the guys hand off his chest. Now they officially acknowledge the these two calls were bullshit. I think the constant whining of the other teams are to blame for these call. That and the fact that the poor idiot refs really have no idea how Goodell and the league whats this game called.

you hit the nail on the head

HometownGal
11-12-2010, 08:33 PM
Mmmmmmkay. :jerkit: I know that in the real world if we suck and are incompetent at our jobs, we're given the heave ho. Not these incompetent bumbleweeds. :upyours:

After the fact means absolutely zilch, zip, nada. Wonder if they would have been so accommodating had we lost that game? Three guesses and the first two don't count.

NFL refs . . .

http://johnfenzel.typepad.com/john_fenzels_blog/images/2007/03/14/the3monkeys.jpg

zulater
11-12-2010, 09:04 PM
The worst part about the pass interference call on Ike ( outside of the fact that Ike got penalized for a perfect coverage :doh: ) was that it was pretty obvious that the ref allowed himself to be talked into the call by ochostinko! He should be fined, and the fine should be made public just as it is when the players screw up.

stillers4me
11-12-2010, 09:10 PM

And maybe that's the point Tomlin was making when he challenged the calls.

SteelerFanInStl
11-12-2010, 10:24 PM
The worst part about the pass interference call on Ike ( outside of the fact that Ike got penalized for a perfect coverage :doh: ) was that it was pretty obvious that the ref allowed himself to be talked into the call by ochostinko! He should be fined, and the fine should be made public just as it is when the players screw up.

That was TO that was crying on that one but I agree. No flag was thrown until after the crying. TO should've been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

zulater
11-13-2010, 06:02 AM
That was TO that was crying on that one but I agree. No flag was thrown until after the crying. TO should've been flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct.

Oops that's right it was TO, I forgot Ochostinko was busy doing his Claude Raines (aka the invisible man) impersonation at the time. :doh: But regardless now that you bring it up, I remember when the belated flag came out my initial thought was that it was going to be an unsportsmanlike penalty on T.O., that's how much of a delay there was between the end of the play and the so called penalty being called.

That ref needs a reprimand.