PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey making a strong impression

stillers4me
11-11-2010, 09:55 PM
By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
Posted 5 hours ago

Rookie center Maurkice Pounceyhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/maurkice-pouncey/9d33439a-ec2b-4a65-a2a2-0b63719b0604/) has impressed many with his play just eight games into his career, from his teammates to those who have to prepare to face him on Sundays.

“He really is something special,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisbergerhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/ben-roethlisberger/54dda34e-9e43-4c57-9397-1143ddced5d6/). “He is as good as it gets, I’ll tell you that much.”

Those who play alongside him on the line are impressed with his ability to make the calls on the line, showing leadership and knowledge that rookies don’t always possess.............

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-making-a-strong-impression/658af61a-8ffb-4bd3-aef8-ea1d59cb130f

Texasteel
11-11-2010, 10:03 PM
If his brother is the same as he is, putting him next to Maurkice next year would not look bad.

Merchant
11-11-2010, 10:58 PM
If his brother is the same as he is, putting him next to Maurkice next year would not look bad.

I've been fantasizing about this, no homo. The Pouncey Twins anchoring the Steelers O-Line... that would be EPIC. Have twins ever played on the same line before?

SMR
11-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I've been fantasizing about this, no homo. The Pouncey Twins anchoring the Steelers O-Line... that would be EPIC. Have twins ever played on the same line before?

Its never happened. Hopefully, that'll change for us!

tube517
11-12-2010, 12:23 AM
It seems like twins or brothers play opposite positions so being in the same position is rare , except for the Selmon bros and the Perry bros, the Hasselbecks and the McCown bros (LOL), and of course, the Zendejas kicking dynasty.

Barber: Ronde (CB) Tiki (RB)
Matthews: Clay (LB) Bruce (OL)
Kemoeatu: Chris (OL) Ma'ake (DL)
Manning: Peyton (QB) Eli (QB)
Blades: Bennie (DB) Brian (WR)
Sharpe: Sterling (WR) Shannon (Horse face)
Bradshaw: Terry (QB) Craig (QB) - Craig???

Selmon: Dewey (DE/OLB) Lee Roy (DE) (both played for Tampa Bay in the late 70's)
Perry: Michael Dean (DL) William (Large appliance)
McCown: Luke and Josh (QB/Bench warmers)
Zendejas: Max, Luis, Joaquin (K)

But the real list is here: (It's a big list)
http://www.profootballhof.com/history/stats/brothers.aspx

kmsteelerwr15
11-12-2010, 12:26 AM
It's a shame that he doesn't have a chance to win ROY b/c he probably deserves it more than anyone.

cold-hard-steel
11-12-2010, 12:44 AM

no way any team will let that occur.They see him now,and they would not want to see brothers reunited. Just me.

Galax Steeler
11-12-2010, 03:28 AM
Not to get off the subject but could you imagine Troy playing running back.

CPanther95
11-12-2010, 06:50 AM
I think his brother is projected as a 2nd rounder, so if we're willing to spend our #1, it's possible we could make it happen.

Texasteel
11-12-2010, 06:59 AM
I think his brother is projected as a 2nd rounder, so if we're willing to spend our #1, it's possible we could make it happen.

Mike has been sliding a little lately. Probably because of the Red Zone problems the team has been having. Don't be surprised if he climbs back into the 1st round before draft day.

Merchant
11-12-2010, 11:23 AM
no way any team will let that occur.They see him now,and they would not want to see brothers reunited. Just me.

If there's a player on the board who's perceived to be better they're obviously going to take him instead of going out of their way to spite the Steelers. I think we have a legitimate shot at him, it's not like he's going to be a top 10 pick or anything.

Chidi29
11-12-2010, 03:09 PM
I think we need to actually see what kind of a player Mike is before wanting to bring him in because he's related to Pouncey.

If there wasn't any relation between the two, I doubt anyone would be clamoring for Mike.

stlrtruck
11-12-2010, 04:06 PM
I think we need to actually see what kind of a player Mike is before wanting to bring him in because he's related to Pouncey.

If there wasn't any relation between the two, I doubt anyone would be clamoring for Mike.

When the two played side-by-side in Gainesville, they were a freakin' wreaking crew. Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a look at least. Definitely not at center but Guard wouldn't be a bad place to put him.

Chidi29
11-12-2010, 04:14 PM
When the two played side-by-side in Gainesville, they were a freakin' wreaking crew. Definitely wouldn't be a bad idea to give him a look at least. Definitely not at center but Guard wouldn't be a bad place to put him.

I don't know how good of a player he is and it sounds like he'll go in the top three rounds, but it seems like a lot of people are on the bandwagon mostly because of the fact they're brothers.

Pouncey is probably going to be just the 3rd or 4th best guard coming out and guards don't usually go that high to begin with. Iupati was more the exception than the rule.

Texasteel
11-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Actually I thought Mike was the top guard coming into the year. I still think he will be a late 1st early 2nd round pick, but there is still a lot of football to watch, and the combines to go through. I personally still lean toward an OT or DE in the first, but I don't see the harm in people kicking his name around.

Chidi29
11-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Actually I thought Mike was the top guard coming into the year. I still think he will be a late 1st early 2nd round pick, but there is still a lot of football to watch, and the combines to go through. I personally still lean toward an OT or DE in the first, but I don't see the harm in people kicking his name around.

Marcus Cannon, Rodney Hudson (my favorite), and that guard from Villanova seem to have the same draft stock as Pouncey.

Texasteel
11-12-2010, 04:50 PM
Marcus Cannon, Rodney Hudson (my favorite), and that guard from Villanova seem to have the same draft stock as Pouncey.

The kid from Villanova is Benjamin Ijalana, one of my favorites, right now figures as about a 3rd round pick. I think Marcus Cannan should end up inside, but think someone may still see him as a RT. Both are a little behind Mike IMO. The only one I've seen on par with Mike to this point is Rodney Hudson, he is having a good year, but again I think you are talking late first early second. By the way I would be glad with any of the 4 you mentioned.

ALLD
11-13-2010, 08:47 AM
His brother is not as good of a center and Maurkice. Expect us to draft at least two OL this time because we need depth.

SteelerFanInStl
11-13-2010, 08:57 AM
There's no question that we need to address the OL early in the coming draft. We also still need a CB though. These mid to late round CB picks aren't cutting it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2010, 10:41 AM
His brother is not as good of a center and Maurkice. Expect us to draft at least two OL this time because we need depth.

I can see 1 lineman drafted early and another in round 5 and beyond.....just like last year.

Chris Scott will end up being a solid option at RT or may even move inside to guard. Foster, Kemo, Pouncey will likely be the interior with Legursky backing up again. I really expect to see an OT finally taken in the top 2 rounds as Starks, Adams, Scott are all getting on and Colon is no guarantee to be signed as a free agent.

SirHulka
11-13-2010, 05:37 PM
It's a shame that he doesn't have a chance to win ROY b/c he probably deserves it more than anyone.

Really? Don't get too many stars in your eyes. He's a good player on a team filled with good players. Bradford is a great player on a team filled with bad players. And he has them at 4-4. Unless Colt McCoy goes 10-1, there will be no competition for Bradford.

kmsteelerwr15
11-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Really? Don't get too many stars in your eyes. He's a good player on a team filled with good players. Bradford is a great player on a team filled with bad players. And he has them at 4-4. Unless Colt McCoy goes 10-1, there will be no competition for Bradford.

He is also the anchor of an injury plagued offensive line. Plus, it's a shame OL don't get votes for stuff like this, because a guy like Joe Thomas even had a case his rookie season.