PDA

View Full Version : 2010 World Cup Soccer

Aussie_steeler
05-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Love to hear you thoughts on the upcoming 2010 World cup.

World cup fever has currently hit Australia. We have been drawn into Group D, which many are calling the group of death. Germany, Ghana and Serbia

Germany have lost their captain Michael Ballack for the tournament, as have Ghana with Michael Essien going down with a knee injury,

At this stage it will be a battle for the Socceroos to make it out of our group of death.

If we get out, then anything is possible. ( we are a bit light on with strikepower upfront so scoring goals is always going to be a concern for us)

steelerdude15
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Go USA! :usa2:

BPS3akaWirels3
05-29-2010, 10:17 PM
We beat Turkey today in Philly.. 55,000 in attendance... There were more there for soccer then an Eagles game.. lol

SteelCityMan786
05-30-2010, 12:51 AM
We beat Turkey today in Philly.. 55,000 in attendance... There were more there for soccer then an Eagles game.. lol

I wouldn't be surprised if there just as many complainers as there would be for a Philly game.:grin:

Boomerang
05-30-2010, 05:55 AM
Looking forward to the tournament ad especially the african teams.

Aussie_steeler
05-30-2010, 06:42 AM
I cant wait to see Lionel Messi light this tournament up.

He will be the Maradona of the 2010 world cup

Boomerang
05-30-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah Messi is a special talent.

SteelersinCA
05-30-2010, 11:23 AM
Go USA! :usa2:

what he said

venom
05-31-2010, 09:26 PM
Go Italia !!!!!!!!

Great commercial if you didn't see it--in regards to the World Cup !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idLG6jh23yE

Godfather
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Since we have a Steelers World, we need to use the smack talk forum for World Cup trash-talking.

I'm looking forward to going there in a couple of weeks to dog England.

SteelersinCA
06-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I wonder if that commercial I see about the World Cup on ESPN has an accurate picture of the paper from England announcing the groups. It said E-Engalnd A-Algeria S-Slovenia Y-Yanks. Can anyone verify that?

SCSTILLER
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
Did anyone see the headline in one of the British papers for the world cup, EASY! England, Algeria, S?, Yanks! I cannot wait for Saturday, I hope that the overrated Brits get what's coming to them (I know, wishful thinking).

Will say though Aussie, your squad looks good. If they can make it out of the first round they will be dangerous. Have to agree with what everyone is saying about Messi, he will be the star of the tourney

venom
06-03-2010, 10:25 AM
and the winner is.................

http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/07/83/73/image_4573837.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
06-03-2010, 10:50 AM
I'm excited for it. I have only recently, the past two years, gotten into "football" so I'm looking forward to seeing the competion. Plus, I have a few friends who live in the UK and it would be fun to talk a little smack after the June 12th game with England.

steeldevil
06-03-2010, 11:24 AM
I have seen the commercial with the EASY paper as well, an dI can see where they come from. England should be guaranteed to advance. But their star player, Wayne Rooney, got hurt while playing with Man U a few weeks ago and may not be 100%. If he is not then we will definately have a shot to at least tie them. England and USA should advance

Aussie_steeler
06-04-2010, 05:15 PM
England just suffered a major blow.

Rio Ferdinand has just done his knee ligaments and is gone for the entire world cup

Even worse for the tournament and the Ivory Coast, Didier Drogba has a fractured arm (picked up in the latest friendly match against Japan)

Lets hope we dont lose to many more star players. Ballack, Essien, Ferdinand and Drogba is a shame

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h-DAI_G159kCYS9rpL4nD6b0M4ZQD9G4LELO1

SteelersinCA
06-04-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm excited for it. I have only recently, the past two years, gotten into "football" so I'm looking forward to seeing the competion. Plus, I have a few friends who live in the UK and it would be fun to talk a little smack after the June 12th game with England.

I guarantee we beat England. We have no business doing so, but we will, I have no doubt.

Aussie_steeler
06-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Did anyone see the headline in one of the British papers for the world cup, EASY! England, Algeria, S?, Yanks! I cannot wait for Saturday, I hope that the overrated Brits get what's coming to them (I know, wishful thinking).

Will say though Aussie, your squad looks good. If they can make it out of the first round they will be dangerous. Have to agree with what everyone is saying about Messi, he will be the star of the tourney

If we make it out of the pool of death I would say that we should meet the winner of your pool. ( Looks like England at this point)

Our starting eleven is essential the same as the team that got robbed by the Italians ast world cup. Mark Viduka has been replaces with Tim Cahill ( arguably our best player). We currently lack a true striker, and I think this we be our achilles heel.

Very interested to see how our warm up match goes against the US tonight.

steeldevil
06-04-2010, 10:29 PM
If we make it out of the pool of death I would say that we should meet the winner of your pool. ( Looks like England at this point)

Our starting eleven is essential the same as the team that got robbed by the Italians ast world cup. Mark Viduka has been replaces with Tim Cahill ( arguably our best player). We currently lack a true striker, and I think this we be our achilles heel.

Very interested to see how our warm up match goes against the US tonight.

lucky you... its on at 8:30 tomorrow morning here(eastern US).... im still debating on whether or not it is that important :noidea: go USA :usa2:

Aussie_steeler
06-05-2010, 03:49 AM
lucky you... its on at 8:30 tomorrow morning here(eastern US).... im still debating on whether or not it is that important :noidea: go USA :usa2:

Just a casual hitout before the tournament. I think it is just to sharpen up some bench players before the real deal

Aussie_steeler
06-06-2010, 05:07 AM
USA 3 - AUstralia 1

Not the best hit out for us. You guys looked very sharp up front.

Not very positive about our prospects now. With luck you should get out of your pool and live to fight in the round of 16.

SteelersinCA
06-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Our defense sucks. I keep hoping Onyewu is more fit that they are playing. We need him desperately.

steeldevil
06-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Our defense sucks. I keep hoping Onyewu is more fit that they are playing. We need him desperately.

yep. the defense is definately gonna have to step it up a notch against England

TatarMongol
06-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Never was a big fan of soccer, but since there is so much hype 4 this 2010 World Cup in Mongolia, I think I'm gonna root 4 North Korea. :nervous: Yeah that's right. Closest cousins of Mongolians. Success of their soccer team in North Korea might make them think 2 get involved with so many things but nuclear crap. Yep, I'd root 4 2 Koreas & Japan. Then England & the US. :behindsofa:

Aussie_steeler
06-10-2010, 03:22 AM
Never was a big fan of soccer, but since there is so much hype 4 this 2010 World Cup in Mongolia, I think I'm gonna root 4 North Korea. :nervous: Yeah that's right. Closest cousins of Mongolians. Success of their soccer team in North Korea might make them think 2 get involved with so many things but nuclear crap. Yep, I'd root 4 2 Koreas & Japan. Then England & the US. :behindsofa:

Of the Asian sides I think one of the koreans might surprise. Cant see Japan going too far. Now that Australia belong to the Asian confederation I need to join your side and show some asian support

suitanim
06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Not a fan at all...it's boring to watch, and I think I was even more bored when I played (although have to admit when we ran gassers when REAL football started, nobody on the team could keep up with me).

Still, I'll tune in for the US matches...at least the first two against England and Slovenia.

venom
06-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Will every game be televised by ESPN online ? Hopefully they will so I can watch the Italia game Monday afternoon. I will be stuck inside at work and will be forced to view the game online.
http://usoccers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/girls-helmet-graphics.jpg

steelerdude15
06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
It seems that Mexico has the advantage right now, they seem to be playing better. Better ball control and better defense are helping them. I call Mexico winning this 2 to 1.

SteelersinCA
06-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Loving the Mexican Unis.

venom
06-11-2010, 11:58 AM
Close game between USA ooooooops , I mean Mexico and South Africa , lol .

steelpride12
06-11-2010, 04:34 PM
I can't wait for USA tomorrow at 2:30! Woo even though they have a poor defense and I don't see them getting very far I sure will cheer them on!

Godfather
06-11-2010, 07:41 PM
We need to kick the limeys' asses like we did in the Revolution!

SteelersinCA
06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
Time to beat England like it's 1776!!!

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Game time soon baby, im pretty excited! I want this young team to prove themselves and go out and get a big upset today! USA USA!

SteelersinCA
06-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm so amped for this game, Budde scores 2 we win 2-0 F- England and the horse they rode in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Bad start 1 to nil England after our sub par defense gives up that one in the 4th minute! ugh at least it's an early goal...

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 02:12 PM
WOW!!! USA SCORED WOO! Dempsey get's the luckiest goal you'll ever see. Greene makes the stop, but it just rolls right out of his hands for the goal. 1 to 1! USA

SCSTILLER
06-12-2010, 03:36 PM
What a great game. I had a bad feeling, which most people probably did, after the 4th minute England goal. Then the U.S. turned it up and was able to get some ball control going in the midfield. Then the Clint Dempsey, and I have to say it LUCKY goal (but a goal is a goal is a goal). The backfield was shaky for most of the first half and then came together, but all in all I am not comfortable yet with the defensive unit. Too many opportunities and open Brits, but I do have to understand though that this is England and they are one of the best teams when they can control the ball in the offensive end. The player of the game, and I am sure the announcers are probably announcing this right now, has got to be Tim Howard. He came up big, stopped a couple of non challenged shots, and proved why he is one of the best. Unyewoo (spelling?) had a heck of a game (definitely put some doubters at ease about fitness and game awareness), the forwards of Altidore and Findlay played well, just wish their speed could have been utilized more. All in all, 1-1 against England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If the U.S. squad doesn't make it to the next round, they have no one to blame but themselves.

steelpride12
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
OH wow what a game for the USA! Come out give up a goal in the 4' of play and all was looking terrible. Pretty sloppy first half over all, but as always Howard came up big on several occasions tonight that kept the US in the game the entire 90 minutes! Dempsey scoring was great! It was lucky, but It doesn't matter they deserved it and it counts no matter what. England is a very good team and could be a final team down the stretch and getting a 1 to 1 tie is HUGE for the US taking that 1 point! Oh Altidore had an excellent chance in the second half, we could have won!

Defense needs to hold their man and quit getting stuck up field giving players a walk through right up to Howard. Other than the defense being poor great game!

Aussie_steeler
06-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Absolute HOWLER of a goal.

Take the points and run.

We have a huge game against Germany tonight. It is on at 4.30am Australian time. I will be up watching it but I am hoping for a scenario like your guys. We will gladly take a draw and run to our next match.

steelpride12
06-13-2010, 07:06 AM

Take the points and run.

We have a huge game against Germany tonight. It is on at 4.30am Australian time. I will be up watching it but I am hoping for a scenario like your guys. We will gladly take a draw and run to our next match.
The US goal just shows anything can happen in the world cup and I wish the best of luck to the Australians!

SCSTILLER
06-13-2010, 01:34 PM

Take the points and run.

Good luck for your squad against the Krauts. Tough game ahead for you guys, but we tied England, so you guys can get a draw against Germany

pepsyman1
06-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Not a fan at all...it's boring to watch, and I think I was even more bored when I played (although have to admit when we ran gassers when REAL football started, nobody on the team could keep up with me).

What he said. I've never been able to understand the rest of the world's fanatical devotion to this sport. Like all slower action sports it probably much more fun to play than watch, but I just don't get it. The pace of the game is just torture. They say only football purists can appreciate really tight, defensive football games where very little scoring is done. EVERY soccer match makes me think of that. Even the highest scoring soccer matches seem tedious to watch in comparison to the rest of the major sports we have in the US. (Even baseball which has gotten especially slow over the last 15 years). Maybe the rest of the world enjoys it so much because the rest of the sports that we follow aren't televised as much in their countries. The world should just switch to indoor soccer to make it more exciting...lol

Aussie_steeler
06-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Down 1 nil after 8 minutes to the Germans. Doesnt look good. The Germans looks very sharp and committed .

Aussie_steeler
06-13-2010, 01:58 PM
2 Nil after 28 minutes. This looks like it is going to be a long morning (5am) for me,

Aussie_steeler
06-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Smashed 4 nil. Our star player sent off and looking at a suspension for the rest for the rest of the pool matches.

All the excitement of the cup buildup has now been totally deflated. Its tough to wait four years to perform this badly.

steelpride12
06-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Smashed 4 nil. Our star player sent off and looking at a suspension for the rest for the rest of the pool matches.

All the excitement of the cup buildup has now been totally deflated. Its tough to wait four years to perform this badly.
Ugh a sad shame. Im sorry about the game and performance. I figured the outcome the German team looks strong this season and proved it today. I hope they can rebound in the second game for sure!:tea:

venom
06-14-2010, 06:48 AM
Looking foward to Italia today .Should be a win for them, lets see .

xX-TSK-Xx
06-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Good news for us Yanks. Looks like Howard is going to be able to play against Slovenia.

U.S. team: Howard 'making progress'

ESPN.com news services

IRENE, South Africa -- No further tests are needed for goalkeeper Tim Howard and he is "making progress" recovering from bruised ribs, U.S. Soccer said Monday.

The team said that Howard is cleared to play against Slovenia.

U.S. Soccer had said Sunday that Howard would get treatment that day and evening and then a final decision would be made Monday.

Howard collided with Emile Heskey in Saturday's U.S.-England game and played the second half after having a cortisone injection.

Howard was injured when Heskey's foot slid into him in the 29th minute Saturday night. Howard was down for a while, saying he felt "in agony." When the game resumed, he grimaced several times.

Coach Bob Bradley had said Sunday he did not know the extent of Howard's injury or if his rib was broken.

Howard, the starter for Everton in the Premier League, is backed by Wolverhampton's Marcus Hahnemann on the U.S. team. Brad Guzan, the backup to Brad Friedel on Aston Villa, is the No. 3 American goalkeeper

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5284280/ce/us/us-keeper-tim-howard-expected-start-friday?cc=5901&ver=us

suitanim
06-14-2010, 12:59 PM
I thought the game was as exciting as it could be for soccer...it's just so "coiled spring" to me...and it hardly ever snaps. But the tension of a low scoring game has some appeal, and obviously playing England and the whole WC scene adds tons of energy to it. I'll continue to watch...

But I have to comments on those Goddamed Vuvuzelas. Those things need to be snapped off in the asses of each and every moron using them...it's uber annoying, and literally gave me a headache wathing the match...

SCSTILLER
06-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Good news for us Yanks. Looks like Howard is going to be able to play against Slovenia.

U.S. team: Howard 'making progress'

ESPN.com news services

IRENE, South Africa -- No further tests are needed for goalkeeper Tim Howard and he is "making progress" recovering from bruised ribs, U.S. Soccer said Monday.

The team said that Howard is cleared to play against Slovenia.

U.S. Soccer had said Sunday that Howard would get treatment that day and evening and then a final decision would be made Monday.

Howard collided with Emile Heskey in Saturday's U.S.-England game and played the second half after having a cortisone injection.

Howard was injured when Heskey's foot slid into him in the 29th minute Saturday night. Howard was down for a while, saying he felt "in agony." When the game resumed, he grimaced several times.

Coach Bob Bradley had said Sunday he did not know the extent of Howard's injury or if his rib was broken.

Howard, the starter for Everton in the Premier League, is backed by Wolverhampton's Marcus Hahnemann on the U.S. team. Brad Guzan, the backup to Brad Friedel on Aston Villa, is the No. 3 American goalkeeper

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5284280/ce/us/us-keeper-tim-howard-expected-start-friday?cc=5901&ver=us

This is good news for the squad. I was worried watching him go down against England, he was in pain. I have been drilled cleats up before playing and it hurts. I hope that the bruised ribs don't limit his movement too much, or that he is trying to cover up the fact. He is a great GK.

I was surprised to see Brad Guzan make the squad over Freidel. Freidel was our GK at one point, I beleive last world cup. Why would we take his backup instead of him? My only guess is that Freidel didn't want to play second fidel to Howard. Either way, bring on Slovenia and Algeria

steeldevil
06-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Italy about to play

Aussie_steeler
06-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Italy off to a slow start.

The dutch looked good.

The brazilians werent as dominant as I expected them to be.

Portugal looked flat.

I am eager to see what Spain plays like.

At the moment, this early in the tournament, the two standouts appear to be Germany and Holland.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Dang the Swiss beat Spain. Wish I could have watched that one. I thought Spain was going to blow the Swiss out and decided to get my yardwork done. :doh2:

suitanim
06-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Dang the Swiss beat Spain. Wish I could have watched that one. I thought Spain was going to blow the Swiss out and decided to get my yardwork done. :doh2:

Gives the US hope. But, apparently (since I really don't follow this and am only catching up on past history now) their Achilles Heel is Eastern European defenses, which is what they face in their next match.

SCSTILLER
06-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Gives the US hope. But, apparently (since I really don't follow this and am only catching up on past history now) their Achilles Heel is Eastern European defenses, which is what they face in their next match.

The U.S. has had problems before with that, plus strong defenders able to muscle out our forwards because we are usually small upfront. We are alot different this year on offense, a heck of alot more speed than in the past. Plus, I think Bradley is a heck of a skipper and is going to do his homework against the defenses we face. One thing I would do is leave Altidore on the bench until about 20' into the second half then sub him in. The defense will be tired and his speed would eat them alive (this all coming from the peanut gallery of course)

steeldevil
06-18-2010, 08:58 AM
USA - Slovenia time!! GO USA!!!

suitanim
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm actually excited about the match...a SOCCER match!

Now I have to play the game of avoiding hearing the outcome until I can get home and watch it on the DVR...

steeldevil
06-18-2010, 09:18 AM
our defense is horrible...

SCSTILLER
06-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Down 2-0 in first half. Enjoy watching the upcoming U.S. - Algeria game, because that is the last one you will see the U.S. play in. Defense is horrible

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Nothing is over... :chuckle:

2-1

US scores in under 3 minutes of the 2nd half.

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 10:39 AM
US ties it with under 10 left! :clap2:

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 10:43 AM
OMG!!! These refs are absolutely terrible.

Dodt
06-18-2010, 10:47 AM
what the heck it should of counted

steeldevil
06-18-2010, 10:48 AM
this ref should never be allowed in the USA... ever

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 10:51 AM
The Slovenians have been real drama queens to boot...

At least they decided to show up in the 2nd half and scratch out a draw.

I just can't see how that last one was disallowed... offsides? no f$#@% way!

but to be fair, the refs were bad the whole game... so they were consistent there. :doh:

SCSTILLER
06-18-2010, 11:01 AM
The Slovenians have been real drama queens to boot...

At least they decided to show up in the 2nd half and scratch out a draw.

I just can't see how that last one was disallowed... offsides? no f$#@% way!

but to be fair, the refs were bad the whole game... so they were consistent there. :doh:

Understatement of thread so far! :drink: I hope that I have to eat my words in my earlier post, but we definitely could use some help from Algeria. With Slovenia sitting at four points right now, and if England wins, it will be tough going for us. I honestly, watching our defense play the first half, didn't think we had a snowballs chance in hell of tying it up. We did, and we should have won! Frustrating game to watch, now bring on Algeria!

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 11:04 AM
Understatement of thread so far! :drink: I hope that I have to eat my words in my earlier post, but we definitely could use some help from Algeria. With Slovenia sitting at four points right now, and if England wins, it will be tough going for us. I honestly, watching our defense play the first half, didn't think we had a snowballs chance in hell of tying it up. We did, and we should have won! Frustrating game to watch, now bring on Algeria!

Ya. they might have saved themselves from elimination today, but their future isn't entirely in their own hands now.

... and that's not a good place to be.

steeldevil
06-18-2010, 11:09 AM
We are in a decent spot right now, whether England ties or wins we are still ok. We have the weakest team in the group left to play. We still have a chance to go through no matter what happens, but we have to beat Algeria

suitanim
06-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Yeah, it should end up being:

England: 7
US: 5
Slovenia: 4
Algeria: 0

Oh, by the way, my efforts to protect myself from learning the outcome lasted exactly 2 minutes past the end of the game...

xX-TSK-Xx
06-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Yeah as long as we take care of Algeria and the England and Slovania dont draw we will make it to the next round.

We win we get 5

England wins they get either 7 or 5 depending on this afternoons match and Slovania finishes with 4. We advance

Slovania wins they get 7 and England finishes with no more than 4. We advance

If they draw Slovenia walks away with 5 and England would have 5 most likely. So lets hope that we take care of buisness against Algeria and either Slovania or England comes down with swine flu or something. :chuckle:

xX-TSK-Xx
06-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Woah. Algeria got the draw with England. Now the U.S. wins and they are in the next round.

steeldevil
06-18-2010, 04:01 PM
Woah. Algeria got the draw with England. Now the U.S. wins and they are in the next round.

Correct, even with the refs blunder on our go ahead goal we still control our destiny. All we have to do is beat Algeria and we advance. However if we tie Algeria then Slovenia has to either beat England or tie them in a low scoring game.... I think that right....:uhoh:

Aussie_steeler
06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
England looked bloody awful.

THey are not the powerhouse everyone proclaimed pre tournament.

USA has a great chance of making it into the next round now. USA should dust up algeria and the Poms might get the job done against Slovenia.

Not looking forward to our game tonight. With Serbia rolling Germany I dont like our chances against GHANA. A loss tonight and the aussies are done.

suitanim
06-19-2010, 05:26 AM
I don't know enough about soccer to speculate. Can someone explain to me how that last goal was disallowed?

Galax Steeler
06-19-2010, 05:31 AM
I don't know enough about soccer to speculate. Can someone explain to me how that last goal was disallowed?

Even the referee can't explain it form what I am hearing we got robbed.

suitanim
06-19-2010, 06:00 AM
I mean, there's not even an explanation? I thought maybe there was some weird interpretation (like the Troy INT that was not an INT against Manning in the '05 AFCCG that really WAS an INT) that some of the more astute soccer fans could explain....

xX-TSK-Xx
06-19-2010, 10:41 AM
Well they whistle blew before Donavon even touched the ball on the free kick. That would indicate a penalty took place in the scrum of players while the ball was dead. Although if you look at the replay the only penalties you will see is Clint Dempsey, Mike Bradley and Jozey Altidore all being fouled. Simpley, the ref just blew the call and Edu's goal should have counted.

FIFA is reviewing the call and it is likely he will be suspended for the rest of the tourny.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/source-fifa-may-sit-slovenia-u-s-referee--fbintl_ro-referee061810.html

steeldevil
06-19-2010, 03:14 PM
I mean, there's not even an explanation? I thought maybe there was some weird interpretation (like the Troy INT that was not an INT against Manning in the '05 AFCCG that really WAS an INT) that some of the more astute soccer fans could explain....

Aparently FIFA likes controversy. FIFA does not require their officials to explain any calls that they make. So we will likely never hear anything from the guy about what he saw to be an infraction. Also, Landon Donovan said postgame that the official would not respond to our players when they inquired what happened. However that could be a language barrier issue, which makes issues in international matches doubly challenging.

Aussie_steeler
06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Another howler of a decision today. Two games = two red cards for Australian soccer

With our world cup on the line Harry Kewell was given a straight red for the ball hitting him in the bicep whilst defending on the goal line. It cost us a player for the next 60 minutes plus the penalty.

We hung on for the 1 all draw but I think it almost certainly sealed our fate for the tournament.

Dont worry - we are going to see a lot more controversy before this is over

suitanim
06-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Well, that's a shame...and i can't even say that it will work itself out, because even if the US wins and advances, those two lost points will hurt them in seeding in the knockout round.

SteelMember
06-22-2010, 07:07 AM
How can U.S. advance at World Cup? (http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/story/how-can-united-states-advance-at-world-cup-061810)

The United States' tie against Slovenia on Friday, combined with England's tie with Algeria, have left Group C of the World Cup wide open headed into the final matches. The U.S. still controls its own destiny, and there are plenty of scenarios — including one that's sure to cause a stir — that could see the U.S. advance to the knockout stage or go home.

All four teams will play the final game of the group stage round on Wednesday, with the United States taking on Algeria and England facing Slovenia. Both matches are slated for 10 a.m. ET.

The United States currently stands tied for second place with England at two points, though the U.S. holds the tiebreaker edge due to more goals scored. Slovenia leads the group with four points and the Algerians are last with one. Teams receive three points for a win, one for a tie, and zero for a loss.

Total points is the first determining factor in who will advance, followed by goal differential and then total goals scored. If two or more teams are still tied once those factors have been taken into account, head-to-head result comes next. If that result was a tie, then it comes down to a drawing of lots by FIFA officials, a controversial possibility that might come to fruition for the U.S. and England.

U.S. advances with ...
1. A win over Algeria. The U.S. would then have five points, enough to ensure one of the top two spots.
2. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia win over England. The U.S. would then have three points, good for second place behind Slovenia.
3. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England does not outscore U.S. by two or more goals. The U.S. and England would then each have three points, and the U.S. would win the tiebreaker on total goals scored to finish second behind Slovenia's five points.

U.S. might advance with ...
1. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England outscores the U.S. by exactly two goals. In that scenario, the U.S. and England would be equal on points, goal differential and goals scored, meaning the advancement would come down to a "drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee."

U.S. is eliminated with ...
1. A loss to Algeria. The U.S. would then be stuck at two points, while Algeria would jump up to four. With Slovenia already having four, the U.S. would not have enough to move on.
2. A tie against Algeria and an England win over Slovenia. The U.S. would then have only three points, while England's win would give them five and Slovenia would have four.
3. A tie against Algeria and a Slovenia-England tie in which England outscores the U.S. by three or more goals. The U.S. and England would then each have three points, and the U.S. would lose the tiebreaker on total goals scored to finish third behind Slovenia and England.

Group schedule and results

June 12: England 1, United States 1

June 13: Slovenia 1, Algeria 0

June 18: United States 2, Slovenia 2; England 0, Algeria 0

June 23: United States vs. Algeria, 10 a.m. ET; England vs. Slovenia, 10 a.m. ET

Group C standings
Team W-T-L Points GD GF
Slovenia 1-1-0 4 +1 3
United States 0-2-0 2 0 3
England 0-2-0 2 0 1
Algeria 0-1-1 1 -1 0

xX-TSK-Xx
06-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I say we just win and then we don't have to worry about England and Slovenia. :chuckle:

SteelMember
06-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I say we just win and then we don't have to worry about England and Slovenia. :chuckle:

I agree. I just posted the article to show the different scenerios. Englands' scoreless draw with Algeria just threw in a little twist with tiebreakers.

steeldevil
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
If we can actually put together a complete game effort then we will go through easily... Can we do it? Who knows

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 08:43 AM
Time for the US to man up, put a game together, beat a team we are better than, and ADVANCE!!!

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Wow we just got robbed of a goal again...

steelpride12
06-23-2010, 10:22 AM
WOW! Dempsey with 2 amazing chances hit's the post and misses a wide open net! The US is just out playing Algeria right now, but with no luck COME ON USA!

tony hipchest
06-23-2010, 10:51 AM
miracle goal by US in extra time! what a stroke of luck when everything was going bad.

steelerdude15
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Awesome goal, awesome play the US soccer team. Great ball control/timing by Donovan and just great play all around. :usa2:

SteelMember
06-23-2010, 10:53 AM
The US finally scores!!!!

1-0

Donovan just at the beginning of extra time (4min).

The dream is still alive.

tony hipchest
06-23-2010, 10:56 AM
seconds away from being eliminated without a loss and now they are through as group winners. good job USA. :tt02:

nailbiting game, but it seemed they were gonna break through the entire time.

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 10:59 AM
DOVOVAN!!!! We win the group even with the whole world and FIFA against us!!! Time to root against Germany, dont want to play them

Carolina Steelers
06-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I walked in the door for lunch told my son to turn channel to world cup neither one of us are big soccer fans but win the US scored i couldnt believe how excited I got with the time running down I just knew the were going to end in an 0-0 score. All I could say is WOW!! very exciting finish from being eliminated to winning the group

steelpride12
06-23-2010, 02:29 PM
DONAVAN WINS IT FOR THE US! Woo the US had chances all day long and couldn't bury it and with stoppage time finally we get the 1 nil goal and win to seal it and get the Group C win!!! It's be about 80 years since we have done that, this is a historic moment and im excited for the next round, USA USA USA!

xX-TSK-Xx
06-23-2010, 03:31 PM
Looks like the U.S. has Ghana. Definitley prefer them to Germany but was hoping the Aussies could score one more goal and we could play them.

steeldevil
06-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Pay back time for 2006.

Aussie_steeler
06-24-2010, 06:33 AM
Looks like the U.S. has Ghana. Definitley prefer them to Germany but was hoping the Aussies could score one more goal and we could play them.

We really needed Ghana to beat Germany for us to get through.

The 4-0 thumping by Germany really put us behind right from the start. At the end of the day we finished on the same number of points as Ghana but had an inferior goal difference. I think we needed to win and score 3 more goals than Germany to knock Ghana out

Love the World War II rematch between Germany and England. It hurts me to say this but I think I will be on the side of the enemy this time around ( Germany)

Best of luck to the yanks for the rest of the tournament. My money at the moment is split between the dutch and the argentines ( I think Messi will be crowned the king by the end of this world cup)

tube517
06-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Not a soccer fan by any means, but Donovan's goal made me jump up and scream like it was an NFL game.

salamander
06-24-2010, 10:42 AM
Not a soccer fan by any means, but Donovan's goal made me jump up and scream like it was an NFL game.

Same thing with me. I've never watched soccer a day in my life until yesterday and I'm glad I did.

suitanim
06-24-2010, 11:16 AM
So, as I understand it, since we won our group, the two goals the refs stole from us don't really matter in the large scheme of things. We were going to play Ghana whether we had 5 points or 7.

steeldevil
06-24-2010, 12:50 PM
So, as I understand it, since we won our group, the two goals the refs stole from us don't really matter in the large scheme of things. We were going to play Ghana whether we had 5 points or 7.

Yes. Nothing from the group stage matters at all any more.

sherlock
06-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Congratulations to Team U.S.A.!
I said many times on SF that you had a team that can give anyone a game.
Ghana have looked good at times but I believe the US can win this.
As for England.....certain spells during yesterdays game had me welling up because they actually played with a flair and freedom that the team is capable of.
Can't wait for Sunday.....Deutschland Vorsicht!!! ( I think ).

suitanim
06-25-2010, 08:35 AM
Well, as proved yesterday when Italy fell, this thing is pretty wide open...although Argentina and Brazil, and possibly Spain, still probably have to be considered favorites...And I HATE Brazilians!

xX-TSK-Xx
06-25-2010, 11:37 AM
The good thing for the the U.S. is our quarter of the bracket is composed of us, Ghana, Uruguay and South Korea. We have a pretty good chance of making it to the semifinals. After that we will more than likely have to play Argentina or the Netherlands to make it to the Cup match.

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Game time right now baby GO USA!

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
And the U.S. do it once again. Just gave up an early goal only in the 5th minute. 1 to nil Ghana shit!

sherlock
06-26-2010, 01:39 PM
It's only 1-0.....no probs for the U.S. in this tournament so far!

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 01:40 PM
It's only 1-0.....no probs for the U.S. in this tournament so far!
True they came back from this before and their skill will set in later in the game.

sherlock
06-26-2010, 01:46 PM
The States are allowing Ghana too much space at the moment.
Just seen a shot of Bill Clinton and Mick Jagger sitting together in the stand,pretty surreal!

steeldevil
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
We started to get more chances later in the half, hopefully that will continue into the 2nd half. And yea Bill Clinton and Mick Jagger sitting beside each other.... They better put up a "No women allowed" sign lol

sherlock
06-26-2010, 02:34 PM
Haha!
Good start by U.S.A.....should have scored.

sherlock
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
PENALTY!!

sherlock
06-26-2010, 02:48 PM
GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Landon Calling!!!!

venom
06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Great Showing Guys ! See you in 4 Years !!!!:clap2:

steelerdude15
06-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Well it's very sad we didn't make it, but you know what, our team is getting better and I'm glad we are. God Bless them.

zulater
06-26-2010, 04:17 PM
I'm glad they lost, now maybe they'll stop talking about this bullshit sport on ESPN all frigging day long, every day. Sorry but a sport that is about 50/50 to end up in a 0-0 tie is never going be compelling enough to catch this countries fancy in a big way.

xX-TSK-Xx
06-26-2010, 09:10 PM
So who is everyone pulling for now that the U.S. is out. I'm kind of leaning towards England myself (too bad a Euro team has never won a World Cup off of European soil). Really though as long as Spain or Bazil don't win it all I'll be fine.

My prediction is an Argentina/Brazil final with Argentina comming out on top.

MasterOfPuppets
06-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Soccer Officially Announces It Is Gay

http://www.truthdig.com/avbooth/item/soccer_is_sooo_gay_20100618/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIlRKHFEXs0

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 11:38 PM
I'm glad they lost, now maybe they'll stop talking about this bullshit sport on ESPN all frigging day long, every day. Sorry but a sport that is about 50/50 to end up in a 0-0 tie is never going be compelling enough to catch this countries fancy in a big way.
We all have our opinions about sports. So you don't like it oh well thanks for posting about it. Don't wanna see it on ESPN, change it.

sherlock
06-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Interesting "facts" zulater! :wink02:
For the record,one of the best games I've ever seen was 0-0
Norwich City v West Ham United back in the mid-nineties,relentless end to end stuff from kick-off to the final whistle.
That said,I've also sat though some god-awful 0-0 games as well!
Anyway,commiserations to the U.S,as always they put up a great showing considering it's a minority sport in the States.
I didn't realise Bill Clinton was there as part of a delegation to bring the World Cup to the U.S.A. in 2018.
You'll have to leave the country for a month zulater! :eyebrows::eyebrows:

xX-TSK-Xx
06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
After yesterdays horrible officiating FIFA has decided not to allow replay of the goals in stadiums. They really need official replay.

FIFA: Replay of Tevez goal 'a mistake'

Associated Press

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA will censor World Cup match action being shown on giant screens inside the stadium after replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico fueled arguments on the pitch.

Angry Mexico players protested to referee Roberto Rosetti after the screens in Johannesburg's Soccer City showed Argentina forward Carlos Tevez was offside before he scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory on Sunday.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said Monday that replaying the incident was "a clear mistake."

"This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that," Maingot told a news conference Monday. "We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."

Maingot said the screens were used to broadcast a FIFA "infotainment program" to fans before the match and could be used to replay some match action.

Responsibility for operating the screens falls to South Africa's World Cup organizing committee, which took charge of the 10 stadiums during the tournament.

Organizers' spokesman Jermaine Craig said he had spoken to the stadium broadcasting team about the incident.

"The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," Craig said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."

Maingot said FIFA has not yet received feedback from its officials at the match about a mass confrontation between coaches and players behind the Mexico bench as the teams left the field at halftime.

Italian referee Rosetti was at the center of a melee trying to separate heated conversations that included Argentina coach Diego Maradona.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5335440/ce/us/fifa-censor-stadium-replays?cc=5901&ver=us

ricardisimo
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
My genetics are starting to kick in, forcing me to say:
Go Spain!!
http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/history/images/spanish_flag2.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
07-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Spain was on the winning end of yet another poor call by the referees. I thought these guys were supposed to be the best in the world. :doh:

ricardisimo
07-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Spain was on the winning end of yet another poor call by the referees. I thought these guys were supposed to be the best in the world. :doh:

I hope you're not talking about the offsides call. I saw the replay, and it was close, but mathematics is still mathematics, last I checked.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I hope you're not talking about the offsides call. I saw the replay, and it was close, but mathematics is still mathematics, last I checked.

Yeah the offsides. Looked clean to me. Spain was the better team and they showed it today. Still another poorly officiated match for both sides which has been par for the entire tourny.

ricardisimo
07-03-2010, 09:20 PM
This Cup is definitely not the poster child for good officiating... that much we have to concede. I'm obviously rooting for Spain, but the fact that Capdevilla managed to get Costa ejected in the Portugal game tells me something about the officiating. Then again, we still haven't seen anything this year as bad as "The Hand of God", so it just goes to show you these problems are pretty much always with us.

SteelersinCA
07-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Viva Espana!

steeldevil
07-07-2010, 09:57 PM
There is going to be a first time world champ no matter who wins the final.

Aussie_steeler
07-09-2010, 03:56 AM
I would love to see the Dutch win this final.

I really love watching the dynamic play of Arjen Robben down the right hand side. Wesley Schneider has really stood up. ( have been disappointed with Robin Van Persie's performance thus far) Dirk Kuyt may well be the man to stand up and be counted.

With Van Bommel and De Jong in the engine room there might well be just enough defensive firepower to upset Xavi, Xavi Alonso and Iniesta who have been absolutely clinical in their controlling of the past few games. If they cant then I think the Spanish will dominate the possession and eventually grind out a win.

Who else is keen for this final???

venom
07-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I will be going for the Netherlands tomorrow 2-1 .

http://coedmagazine.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/holland-sm.jpg

xX-TSK-Xx
07-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Im sort of pulling for the Netherlands too but... Paul the octopus did pick Spain. He hath spoken.

SteelersinCA
07-10-2010, 01:29 PM
Espana!!!!! But oday belongs to Diego Forlan!!!

Aussie_steeler
07-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Forlan was sensational again today in the minor final.

This German side is going to be awesome come next world cup. They have finished 3rd on pure youth and enthusiasm. Once they learn to play to a team system, especially in the mid field they will be a brute of a force to handle ( much like the spanish are at the moment)

Still would like to see the dutch win, but Spain has been a dominant force the last few games, plus the octopus has spoken.

Akagi
07-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I fully expect that Potter fellow to grab the golden snitch and win the cup for Gryffindor this time.

Shea
07-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Anyone else watching the final?

What happens if nobody scores a goal? Does it go to shootout like in hockey?

steeldevil
07-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Anyone else watching the final?

What happens if nobody scores a goal? Does it go to shootout like in hockey?

yea penalty shootout. best out of 5...

Shea
07-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks Steel!

But when does the extra time end?? This thing seems like it's going to go on forever.

Shea
07-11-2010, 03:53 PM
NM - they just said 7 minutes left ..

steeldevil
07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Spain are World Football Champions, they deserve it.

zulater
07-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Spain scored a total of 8 goals in 7 games. How compelling. :lol:

xX-TSK-Xx
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Actually it is compelling. Spain played great all tournement and they played their style of ball. Control control control. No one, except for Switzerland, was able to break what the Spainish do. Then you get a game between two nations who have never won the cup before.

A sport is not all about scoring. Theres more to the games than that. Passing, intelligance, key substitutions, persistance, and endurance are all great parts of the game. A low score also brings with it drama and an edge of you seat feel because one goal can come at any time and make all the difference. You obviously don't appreciate the game but stop trying to ruin it for those of us that do.

Aussie_steeler
07-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Actually it is compelling. Spain played great all tournement and they played their style of ball. Control control control. No one, except for Switzerland, was able to break what the Spainish do. Then you get a game between two nations who have never won the cup before.

A sport is not all about scoring. Theres more to the games than that. Passing, intelligance, key substitutions, persistance, and endurance are all great parts of the game. A low score also brings with it drama and an edge of you seat feel because one goal can come at any time and make all the difference. You obviously don't appreciate the game but stop trying to ruin it for those of us that do.

Agree 100%. TSK

Cassillis and Stecklenburg ( the goalkeepers) were awesome in keeping the final such a gut wrenching ordeal for the fans.

On this site we live and die by the steeler D's ferocity and capacity to smother the opposition. We expect nothing less ( hence the immortal steel curtain).

Soccer is played in the same mould where the team with the best defensive system usually prevails. Scoring opportunities arise from the ability to build pressure that ultimately leads to a mistake that is capatilised on.

The goal that settled the world cup final arose from a fast break down the right wing, a couple of quick passes and a small slip by the central defender who was under extreme pressure. That slip allowed iniesta to be onside and allowed him to sieze the opportunity.

A good finale to a highly enjoyable world cup (for me).

venom
07-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Congrats to Spain and their fans !

zulater
07-12-2010, 03:44 AM

Actually a lot of people who know the game quite well thought that yesterday's final was a dreadfully played snoozefest. When yellow cards outnumber scoring chances to that degree it's not a great game.

From people who know the sport I've heard that while soccer is played by better athletes than ever before the current strategy in vogue in international play hurts the sport. Teams play not to lose moreso than to win. And that my friend makes for a painfully dull show no matter what your level of knowledge of any game might be.

And I'm not trying to ruin anything for you. Your sport hijacked my nations airwaves for the past month so I'm entitled to an opinion. And my opinion is soccer has potential, but it also needs some tweaks. But I doubt those tweaks will take place because it seems fairly obvious that soccer is arrogant and feels that we should adjust to it rather than it adjust itself to our tastes.

Fair enough. But don't expect to gain a big share of our market place with your sport. and I hope you can sell a lot of jerseys and posters in Ghana and Lisbon.