PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com: Starks placed on IR; Scott activated

stillers4me
11-10-2010, 08:35 AM
Posted 24 minutes ago

Steelers offensive tackle Max Starkshttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/max-starks/7df7af66-c7ff-472b-bcd8-a6a73f94467a/) was lost for the season today when the team placed him on the Reserve/Injured List due to a neck injury suffered in Monday night’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.bengals.com/).

Starks, a seven-year veteran, will require surgery and the team expects him to make a full recovery in time for the 2011 season.............

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Starks-placed-on-IR-Scott-activated/91e0a6d0-f6c7-47cb-afb3-e3a8090449a8

stillers4me
11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
We absolutely must reinforce our O line in the 2011 draft. Pouncy was a great start......we need so much more.

stlrtruck
11-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Let's get his brother to play guard and then sit back and watch the holes open up (at least it sounds good in theory).

X-Terminator
11-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of offense Sunday night. :doh: Gotta hope the D decides NOT to shit the bed and plays a FULL 60 MINUTES.

XxKnightxX
11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
This is devastating, An O line as fragile as it is right now and this wont make it any better, Ben is gonna have to play with a Head on a Swivel for the rest of the season.

The Duke
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Hopefully scott has some potential to help us late in the season

kid's gotta show us why they kept him till now

get better for next year max!

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I've heard Scott has had issues with his weight at Tennessee. Know he was 330 when he got drafted. Likely is a good bit higher than that now, though it's all about how you carry that weight.

Don't know if how good of shape he is in after being out with a fractured foot. I'm not expecting much.

SteelMember
11-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Not.Good.

Maybe there won't be much of a drop off with Scott.

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Wonder if all these injuries will have any impact on Smith's status?

Kiesel is very much up in the air, and we have a ton of other guys hurt. Roster spots become much more important as we hit the grind of the season.

polamalubeast
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
:frusty::frusty::frusty::doh2::faint::faint:

Bluecoat96
11-10-2010, 10:00 AM
http://www.catwack.com/pics/306.jpg

zulater
11-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of offense Sunday night. :doh: Gotta hope the D decides NOT to shit the bed and plays a FULL 60 MINUTES.

That's a terrible way of looking at it. Next man up, Starks has been mediocre for the past two seasons, the dropoff wont be nearly as bad as you think. This in no excuse to fail offensively.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2010, 12:25 PM

I am. The Pats D sucks. We shouldn't have a problem moving the ball on them, even with backups on the OL. If Mendy doesn't end up with at least 125 yards rushing, I'll be very disappointed.

venom
11-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Shoot me now !

steel striker
11-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Oh Crap!!!!!! Well next man up and, it is time to bring the pain. Not good man Ben is going to be running for his life.

steeldevil
11-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Bad news... but not devastating.

zulater
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Bad news... but not devastating.

That's where I stand on this. Starks has never been a consistent or reliable enough player to get so worked up by his absense. Scott had a bad game earliar in the season replacing him, but he also was cramping up that game, so i don't know that was really reflective of his true value. I thought this past game Scott did just fine once he went in for Max, in fact i would say he was an upgrade.

Regardless this shouldn't be a season changing injury. I'm much more looking foward to Colon's return than Max's.

btw I love Max Starks the man, by all accounts he's one of the better people in the locker room, but Max the player is inconsistent and often seems to play uninspired.

The Duke
11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm much more looking foward to Colon's return than Max's.

can't argue with this

I love starks, but we could do much worse at the position. And honestly, jon scott isn't much worse

Count Steeler
11-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Part of the trials and tribulations of the NFL season. Should be less contact, then there would be less injuries.:sarcasm:

HometownGal
11-10-2010, 07:21 PM
I feel so bad for Max but I think Scott will do just fine. Starks has good games and not so good games just like everyone else and imho - he doesn't play well enough consistently to earn that big fat paycheck he is getting.

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Remember how Max was able to shut down guys like Jared Allen last year. Of course, he got beat by lesser guys, but he's stepped up in big games and his pass protection was quite good this season.

zulater
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Remember how Max was able to shut down guys like Jared Allen last year. Of course, he got beat by lesser guys, but he's stepped up in big games and his pass protection was quite good this season.

Yeah I remember, Max played at near pro bowl level the first 8 games last season, he pretty much sucked thereafter and has been no great shakes this year either. If you think our season is over because of losing Starks I think you've been watching a different left tackle than me for the past 16 games.

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeah I remember, Max played at near pro bowl level the first 8 games last season, he pretty much sucked thereafter and has been no great shakes this year either. If you think our season is over because of losing Starks I think you've been watching a different left tackle than me for the past 16 games.

I don't think it's over. I didn't say that. But it hurts. Even for the fact that as medicore as he is, Scott can no longer be a swing tackle for us.

X-Terminator
11-10-2010, 09:40 PM
That's a terrible way of looking at it. Next man up, Starks has been mediocre for the past two seasons, the dropoff wont be nearly as bad as you think. This in no excuse to fail offensively.

Yeah, that's true. But I'm looking at the fact that the backups aren't any better, and IMO it's going to negatively affect the offense. If you don't think so, fine, but I think it will. These guys are backups for a reason, after all. We'll see though - as has been mentioned, the Pats'* defense isn't very good at all, so maybe they'll still be able to move the ball on them.

zulater
11-10-2010, 10:33 PM
http://www.steelerslounge.com/2010/11/jonathan-scott-era/

Max Starks’ season is done. Jonathan Scott is now a starting left tackle in the NFL.

If I had written that sentence during the preseason, I would have banged my head into a wall repeatedly. Now, I can at least take a deep breath and say “It’s not as bad as it could be.”

Over at FanHouse, I posted an analysis of what it means to have Scott step into the starting lineup. The summary is that Scott has played just as well at left tackle as at right tackle, so it makes little sense to move Adams to left tackle and change up two positions instead of one.

I’m obviously not a scout, so I’m a little hesitant to make any predictions, but basing this completely off what I have seen when he’s played up to now this year. Scott’s play up to now this season leads me to believe he’ll be an adequate, if unspectacular replacement for Starks. I’d expect to see him give up a couple of pressures a game, probably 3-4 sacks over the next eight games. He’ll have enough bad plays that the casual fan may curse his name, but he’ll likely be a steady enough performer that the Steelers won’t be sunk because he’s at left tackle.

My bigger concern is what happens if Pittsburgh suffers another injury. The Steelers will either have to dress Tony Hills or newly activated Chris Scott as the team’s backup tackle now (technically Ramon Foster can play right tackle in a pinch too). Where Scott was comfortable playing either left or right tackle, Hills is much more comfortable at left tackle than right tackle. And Chris Scott, who can’t really be considered ready to play having not had any preseason time, is only a right tackle. So if the Steelers’ dress Hills, they will do so knowing that an injury to Adams likely means a switch at two positions (Scott moving over to right tackle and Hills coming in at left tackle). If they dress Chris Scott, then Adams has to be prepared to slide over to left tackle if something happens to Scott.

I’m worried about this because partly by plan and partly due to injuries, Adams has played every snap very few times this season. By subbing in Jonathan Scott, the Steelers have managed to keep Adams fresh. They don’t have that luxury any more.

For all the concerns about the Steelers’ offensive line, Starks, Scott and Adams have combined to allow three sacks in the first eight games. That’s excellent for any set of tackles. If Pittsburgh can do half as good over the second half, they’ll be OK. The bigger concerns about the offensive line may still revolve around the play of the guards.

zulater
11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I don't think it's over. I didn't say that. But it hurts. Even for the fact that as medicore as he is, Scott can no longer be a swing tackle for us.

Obviously it doesn't help, but you got to deal with the reality of the situation, and it shouldn't sink us. I would imagine they'll have Foster sub for Flozell when he can't go, and again there may be a drop off, but not too drastic of one.

The Steelers still possess the ability to make their own destiny. I'm not going to lose sleep over losing Max. I didn't want it, but it's not going to bring the season crashing around us either, or at least it shouldn't if we're near as good as I think we are.

steelerdude15
11-10-2010, 11:29 PM
This isn't good. I hope for a full and speedy recovery for Max. Scott has to step up now. Good luck.

Chidi29
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Obviously it doesn't help, but you got to deal with the reality of the situation, and it shouldn't sink us. I would imagine they'll have Foster sub for Flozell when he can't go, and again there may be a drop off, but not too drastic of one.

The Steelers still possess the ability to make their own destiny. I'm not going to lose sleep over losing Max. I didn't want it, but it's not going to bring the season crashing around us either, or at least it shouldn't if we're near as good as I think we are.

I think Hills will get the first chance at RT if Flozell were to go down. Remember that Foster will only be active if Kemoeatu can't go. If Chris can, and I think he will, Foster will be inactive with Hills and Legursky as backups.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2010, 09:39 AM
yeah, while losing Starks is a loss.......its not that bad. Jon Scott will do fine, Hills will be activated as the backup OT and Essex can always slide out there if needed.

I somehow wish that Foster could learn to play center, because we need a backup C on the active roster, but Foster is a better OG than Legursky, who cant snap.

Chidi29
11-12-2010, 02:36 PM
yeah, while losing Starks is a loss.......its not that bad. Jon Scott will do fine, Hills will be activated as the backup OT and Essex can always slide out there if needed.

I somehow wish that Foster could learn to play center, because we need a backup C on the active roster, but Foster is a better OG than Legursky, who cant snap.

I'm reading that we're leaning towards activating Foster over Legursky. But who would be the backup center? Has Foster gotten reps there in practice? I know he hasn't taken a game snap there at any point this season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm reading that we're leaning towards activating Foster over Legursky. But who would be the backup center? Has Foster gotten reps there in practice? I know he hasn't taken a game snap there at any point this season.

Foster will start at guard and Legursky will be active in case Pouncey gets injured like last week. Its why I was really hoping that Urbik would show he can earn a spot in camp, because he has played C, G and some RT. Position flexibility helps.

Chidi29
11-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Foster will start at guard and Legursky will be active in case Pouncey gets injured like last week. Its why I was really hoping that Urbik would show he can earn a spot in camp, because he has played C, G and some RT. Position flexibility helps.

I'm just saying that I read that Foster might get the nod over Legursky, but I can't see that being the case. I have to think Hills and Legursky will be the backups.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM
I'm just saying that I read that Foster might get the nod over Legursky, but I can't see that being the case. I have to think Hills and Legursky will be the backups.

That is exactly how you are reading it. Foster is a better in line blocker than Legursky, but Legursky normally dressed on gamedays because he is the only backup center on the roster. Foster will get the start and Legursky-Hills will backup.

Its why I was hopeful that Urbik would stick around because he can play 3 positions and his size was an advantage. There was just no way they were gonna take 3 backup interior linemen on the 53.

Chidi29
11-13-2010, 02:02 PM
That is exactly how you are reading it. Foster is a better in line blocker than Legursky, but Legursky normally dressed on gamedays because he is the only backup center on the roster. Foster will get the start and Legursky-Hills will backup.

Its why I was hopeful that Urbik would stick around because he can play 3 positions and his size was an advantage. There was just no way they were gonna take 3 backup interior linemen on the 53.

Nevermind, I'm being dumb. I was still thinking Kemoeatu was going to play.

In that case, I agree. Foster at LG with Hills and Legursky as the backups.