PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Steelers Pay for Ignoring Tackles

stillers4me
11-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Wednesday, 10 November 2010 07:52
Written by Ed Bouchette http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/templates/pg_twn/images/emailButton.png (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/component/mailto/?tmpl=component&link=aHR0cDovL3BsdXMuc2l0ZXMucG9zdC1nYXpldHRlLmNvb S9pbmRleC5waHAvc3BvcnRzLXRvd24vc3RlZWxlcnMvMTA2MjY yLWVkLXN0ZWVsZXJzLXBheS1mb3ItaWdub3JpbmctdGFja2xlc w%3D%3D)

Good morning,
We open this morning with a question: What is it with the necks and backs of left tackles and the Steelers? Marvel Smith’s last few years and ultimately his career ended because of disc problems in his back.

That brings us to more questions. Where would the Steelers be right now without Flozell Adams? Why can’t they draft good tackles? Why haven’t they extended the contract of Willie Colon? Will Ben Roethlisberger make it through the season?

Without Adams, they would be starting Tony Hills and Jonathan Scott and Ben might already be done.

The last good tackle they drafted was Colon, in 2006 on the fourth round. Maybe Chris Scott, a fifth-rounder this year, will develop down the line. But the Steelers have paid very little attention to what many believe is the second-most important position on offense, right after quarterback.................

http://ht.ly/19TSyR

LLT
11-10-2010, 08:29 AM
I think the most likely scenerio is that Scott is moved to LT and we pick up a FA tackle for depth or move Jolly up from the PS.

Looking at other teams PS....I see little that interests me other than OT Selvish Capers who is on the Redskins PS. He was pretty good in college but was not very impressive at the senior bowl or at the combine. He might be worth signing as a backup and as a project player. Not too many impressive FA's out there either...Maybe OT Mike Gandy??

***Or take Chris Scott off of IR ....okay...totally forgot that he was due to come of of injured reserve***

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2010, 08:51 AM
It's true, we've ignored the position in the draft choosing to take mid or late round flyers instead of using an early pick.

VTsteel
11-10-2010, 08:59 AM
No kidding we're paying for ignoring the Tackle position . . . We (many of us here) have been saying before each draft for the past five years that we NEED to draft some OT talent.

I am glad we got (1st rounders) Pouncey,Hood, Mendenhall, Timmons and Holmes . . . But somewhere along the line in the past five years we should've made a move to secure better OT's.

The game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Hopefully someone step's up this year . . . if not, we will be paying dearly for ignoring our obvious (and long standing) need for talent at the tackles.

Steeldude
11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
i have been saying this since 2002. the steelers are content with drafting projects in the lower rounds and taking in other teams' poor/old castoffs.

they finally use a 1st round pick on the O-line and they get what looks to a future all-pro center.

XxKnightxX
11-10-2010, 09:14 AM
i have been saying this since 2002. the steelers are content with drafting projects in the lower rounds and taking in other teams' poor/old castoffs.

they finally use a 1st round pick on the O-line and they get what looks to a future all-pro center.

And it worked back then, mostly due to the O line Coach, Russ Grimm, a Hall of Famer, the position became more exposed when Zierlein was hired because he did not develop a single lineman to true potential during his stay. I think Kugler can do what Grimm did. Im glad we drafted Pouncey, and Tackles at a premium werent so readily available in this draft. Im glad we drafted Pouncey over Bulaga, Centers that are that good are very rare, the last one I can remember making such a massive rookie impact is Nick Mangold.

tube517
11-10-2010, 09:24 AM
They addressed just about every need in the 1st round of every draft in the past decade except OT and CB. Look where are weaknesses are.

VTsteel
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
The last good tackle they drafted was Colon, in 2006 on the fourth round. Maybe Chris Scott, a fifth-rounder this year, will develop down the line. But the Steelers have paid very little attention to what many believe is the second-most important position on offense, right after quarterback.................

http://ht.ly/19TSyR

Actually, Colon was drafted as an OG. He has been forced into playing as an OT due to our severe lack of depth and talent at Tackle. Our last good drafted tackle was Starks (2004) in the 3rd round. It's debatable whether Starks is a good tackle or not - I tend to say not . . . but at least he's good enough to start on two title teams. Before that . . . it was Marvel Smith (2000) in the 2nd round.

So, it's obvious we ignored this position for far too long.

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Because we gave Starks a three year deal and didn't need to take a guy in the higher rounds. And Colon really came into his own last year; the injury was a freak thing no one can control. Tearing your Achilles in the spring doing a simple agility drill? Who saw that coming?

Colon hasn't been extended yet partially because that isn't how we operate. We tend to wait rather than sign early unless you're the highest priority, which as good as Colon has been, doesn't fall into that category with guys like Ben, Troy, Heath, James, etc. And once the injury occured, talks shut down because the severity clouds the situation.

I see the seven lineman who will be "up" playing out as such if we were to assume that Kemoeatu misses in a worst-case scenario.

LT: Scott
LG: Legursky
C: Pouncey
RG: Essex
RT: Adams

Backups: Hills (both tackle spots), Foster (both guard spots).

Scott will be inactive.

LLT
11-10-2010, 10:18 AM
I see the seven lineman who will be "up" playing out as such if we were to assume that Kemoeatu misses in a worst-case scenario.

LT: Scott
LG: Legursky
C: Pouncey
RG: Essex
RT: Adams

Backups: Hills (both tackle spots), Foster (both guard spots).

Scott will be inactive.

I think you are spot on. Foster has also played some OT, so there is some position flexibility there.

polamalubeast
11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
The o-line in 2008 is considered by many to be the worst in the history of the NFL to have won the super bowl.......He also Hartwig and Stapleton are out of the league right now as our starting RB Willie Parker in 2008.

We must not panic!

Merchant
11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
We'll be fine. Let's be honest here, did anyone really notice a significant difference when Starks was out of the game Monday?

stlrtruck
11-10-2010, 10:55 AM
We'll be fine. Let's be honest here, did anyone really notice a significant difference when Starks was out of the game Monday?

Yeah, we moved the ball :boink:

zulater
11-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Exactly, Starks has been mediocre at best since the midway point of last season.

HollywoodSteel
11-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Exactly, Starks has been mediocre at best since the midway point of last season.

I did notice a pretty big drop off in pass protection in earlier games when J. Scott was in. I don't think the Bengals are a good measuring stick for this since they haven't exactly been getting to QBs this year. When we start to face teams with a better pass rush, then we'll see the difference. It'll be interesting to see how Belichick tries to exploit our situation. We'll probably see a lot of blitzes coming off that side. And it's not like we were handling blitzes well before...

ALLD
11-10-2010, 11:58 AM
This situation will require a bit more creativity when calling plays in order to keep the defense on their heels and guessing. Time for BA to step it up like he did in Cincinnati.

SteelerFanInStl
11-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I did notice a pretty big drop off in pass protection in earlier games when J. Scott was in. I don't think the Bengals are a good measuring stick for this since they haven't exactly been getting to QBs this year. When we start to face teams with a better pass rush, then we'll see the difference. It'll be interesting to see how Belichick tries to exploit our situation. We'll probably see a lot of blitzes coming off that side. And it's not like we were handling blitzes well before...

I'm not worried about the Pats defense. They're one of the worst in the NFL, allowing 27.4 points/game. Only the Titans are worse. They also only have 13 sacks for the year.

HollywoodSteel
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not worried about the Pats defense. They're one of the worst in the NFL, allowing 27.4 points/game. Only the Titans are worse. They also only have 13 sacks for the year.

I agree that our offense is more talented than their defense. I just hope that talent wins the day and not coaching, because in that department I have more faith in Belichik's ability to exploit out situation than BA's ability to counter it.

I'm not trying to turn this into a BA bashing thread. In fact I think he's done a pretty good job at situational play calling this year. I guess the thing that frustrates me, and I believe a lot of fans, is that in the past he's tended to stay with the stuff he likes regardless of issues that arise. For example, I still saw very slow developing plays when Cinci blitzed even though that's what got us killed against NO the previous week.

Do you think BA is drawing up some more quicker developing routes in anticipation of Belichik bringing the house early and often? Some designed screens to the left side over the heads of the defenders who will be two steps past Scott within two seconds?

This is what worries me. And I really hope I'm wrong. I'll be the first to applaud BA if he's actually doing a bit of strategery right now instead of putting the blinders on to the situation on the ground.

Chidi29
11-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I think you are spot on. Foster has also played some OT, so there is some position flexibility there.

True although I think I'd only be comfortable with him at RT. And if Flozell were to go down, I'd be inclined to think Hills would get the first crack. Could be wrong though.

HometownGal
11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
They addressed just about every need in the 1st round of every draft in the past decade except OT and CB. Look where are weaknesses are.

You're spot on here tube. I really hope the Steelers don't once again put their higher draft selections at these positions on the back burner. :pray:

Galax Steeler
11-11-2010, 03:18 AM
I really don't care who they put in there as long as they can protect Ben from being killed.

Steeldude
11-11-2010, 08:39 AM

the rumblings i have heard since last season is that foster is way too slow to play tackle in the NFL.

are there any free agent tackles out there that could be a better option than hills and scott?

VTsteel
11-11-2010, 02:05 PM
are there any free agent tackles out there that could be a better option than hills and scott?

Well, I would say this year we may be S.O.L.

Next year though: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2011/fa/ol.html

Jared Gaither, BAL – Rumors out of Baltimore suggest that Gaither is very much on the block if the right offer comes around this offseason. With the Ravens looking to move Oher to the left and Gaither out for the right price, there’s a good possibility that Gaither moves on in free agency next year if he survives the season with Baltimore.

Marcus McNeill, SD – As an unsigned restricted free agent slapped with the highest tender, Marcus McNeill seems serious about a holdout in hope of gaining a long-term extension. The Chargers have a number of key players in the same boat as McNeill, but one would believe that re-signing a key component of an unstable offensive line would remain a priority. If the Chargers can strike a deal with McNeill, one of the better left tackles in the game would be off the market next offseason.

Matt Light, NE – Matt Light will be 32 this season and entering the last year of his deal. With Brady, Mankins, and Moss set to become free agents next year as well, Light may become expendable, especially after the performance of rookie Sebastian Vollmer a year ago. A stop-gap left tackle could still stand to make a lot of money on the open market given the believed importance of the position.

We could pick up one of these maybe?

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2010, 09:32 AM

I know dude. We have neglected the O line for years and I remember throwing out names like Jeremy Zuttah, Carl Nicks, William Beatty, Anthony Collins, Brian Bulaga or even Michael Oher.

Consider that we could have traded up to get Oher and it likely would have cost the picks that were Ziggy Hood and Kraig Urbik. I'd have been OK with it, especially if we had taken Myron Pryor as a NT like I mentioned a couple years back.

I think if Chris Scott is healthy, he will be the backup RT and at the worst we have Jon Scott, Hills and even Trai Essex that can play LT right now. Still hoping for Potter from Boise to fall to us next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-12-2010, 09:35 AM
the rumblings i have heard since last season is that foster is way too slow to play tackle in the NFL.

You are dead on. Foster is slower than Kemo as a guard, no way he has the feet to play anything but RT in a pinch. I still think we will stay with Scott, Hills, Essex as LT depth.