PDA

View Full Version : I don't want to hear.........

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 06:21 AM
I don't want to hear from any of the talking heads out there :blah: that the Steelers are the best team in the AFC or the NFL for that matter, anymore.:frusty:
This team needs alot of work to improve from the coaches down to the players and execution.

Gosh Dangit! nothing like being pissed off after a win! Fu:censored:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also they need to stop bringing up santonio being missed in Pittsburgh....we DON't miss him!

salamander
11-09-2010, 06:22 AM
If we beat New England this week, you're gonna hear it. As much as I hate to admit it, they're a good team.

SirHulka
11-09-2010, 06:27 AM
This week will be a dog fight for you guys. After we spanked them last week, they'll be looking for blood. And although I really don't like Marcia Brady very much, he's still a better QB than Palmer. Better batten down the hatches in that 4th quarter.

Butch
11-09-2010, 06:29 AM
This is a much better team than what is showing up on the field the last few weeks. I agree that coaching and players are to blame for these melt downs on both sides of the ball, but I also think those injuries are as much to blame as anything. Not trying to make excuses but when you don't have your best players on the field production has to suffer. Hopefully we get some breaks the rest of the year lord knows we need it.

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 06:33 AM
I posted in another thread that when we have the lead early in the 4th, we cannot lay down and try to run the clock out with with a full quarter left to play. You do this with 4 minutes or less. IMO

Keep hammering the nails in the coffin for the whole 60 minutes!

Merchant
11-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Steelers are the best team in the NFL.

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Steelers are the best team in the NFL.

Smart ass. :lol:

SirHulka
11-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Hopefully we get some breaks the rest of the year lord knows we need it.

Be careful what you hope for. You may get it. (In the form of arms, or legs to key players)

venom
11-09-2010, 07:42 AM
The Steelers do need alot of work . But the Steelers beat the Pats , we will be the best team out there . Don't forget we still have the Ravens and Jets down the road .

Raleigh Steel
11-09-2010, 07:51 AM
this game turned in the 3rd quarter. we got a huge momentum shifter when reed hits a 53 yarder right before half. we get the ball to start the second half and here's what we did:

14:55 2:03 PIT 27 3 -10 Punt

8:47 2:08 PIT 35 3 9 Punt

5:26 0:35 CIN 45 3 6 Punt

the one in bold was the most troubling. we got a gift from a shanked punt and couldn't muster a 1st down let alone any points. to come out of the locker room and go 3 straight 3 and outs, is just inexcusable. and the fact that we needed a trick play, that was more fortunate than anything, to score is unacceptable.

this game should have been over by the end of the 3rd quarter, but our offense kept the bengals in the game. there isn't much going on the past few weeks that looks any different from last season.

the next 2 weeks will be very telling as to how this season will unfold.

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I agree 100%, Brian!!

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 08:09 AM
I don't understand this. Why is it that, to some people, when the defense shits the bed late, it's the offense's fault? The offense scored 27 freaking points, and would have had another 3 had Jeff Reed made that FG that would have iced the game. 27 points should be more than enough to beat any team in the NFL. So why is it always their fault that the defense can't hold on to leads? What is it going to take for you to put the blame where it belongs - at the feet of the defense?

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 08:52 AM
I don't understand this. Why is it that, to some people, when the defense shits the bed late, it's the offense's fault? The offense scored 27 freaking points, and would have had another 3 had Jeff Reed made that FG that would have iced the game. 27 points should be more than enough to beat any team in the NFL. So why is it always their fault that the defense can't hold on to leads? What is it going to take for you to put the blame where it belongs - at the feet of the defense?

Read Raleigh Steels post and look at our first 3 offensive series.......thats why. The offense keeps putting the defense on the field, they will eventually fold.

*THE BOLD area; Sorry...I strongly disagree with that statement with last nights game. Oh and 7 points from our offense was on a trick, luck play.

Raleigh Steel
11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
X-Terminator
Re: I don't want to hear.........

well let's see, the special teams set up the steelers offense early for 10 points and had only two more scoring drives the rest of the game. one of which was a trick play.

also the refs gave the bengals one touchdown with 35 of 36 yards of penalties. the roughing the passer call on hampton was complete BS...should we blame the defense on that? the PI on ike was also BS...how do we blame the defense on that?

NCSteeler
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Saints- Panthers Packers- Cowboys That is what ti looks like when a good team decides to put it's foot on your throat. We don't seem to have that. I will allow that we have some injuries and the oline couldn't be more patch work. Many would say the packers are worse off then us..eh. Anyhow, in a league that has legislated defense out of the game , gave the offense the advantage at every turn, I expect we could do better then 27 points against a pretty bad Bengal team.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 09:18 AM
well let's see, the special teams set up the steelers offense early for 10 points and had only two more scoring drives the rest of the game. one of which was a trick play.

also the refs gave the bengals one touchdown with 35 of 36 yards of penalties. the roughing the passer call on hampton was complete BS...should we blame the defense on that? the PI on ike was also BS...how do we blame the defense on that?

T.O. had 140+ receiving yards and 2 TDs. How does that get blamed on the offense? We had a 20-point lead in the 4th and immediately after securing that 20-point lead, the Bengals walked right down the field for a TD to make it 27-14 and took next to no time off the clock doing it. Hell, at least make them earn it and burn some time off the clock. If we need to start scoring 40 a game on offense to insure wins, then I'm sorry, the repeated claims that this D is dominant is a bunch of hogwash.

NCSteeler
11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
The Media and their stats are the only one proclaiming this D to be dominant. I know the stats, but when you watch them, they just don't play dominating ball on D or O. Fact is with this O line we can't run when people are expecting it whcih means we need a different idea about how to close a game.

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Read Raleigh Steels post and look at our first 3 offensive series.......thats why. The offense keeps putting the defense on the field, they will eventually fold.

*THE BOLD area; Sorry...I strongly disagree with that statement with last nights game. Oh and 7 points from our offense was on a trick, luck play.

Why does it matter if those points came on a trick play? They still count, do they not?

I was not happy with those first 3 series either. But they still came up with another TD to give them a 20-point lead AND drove right down the field and were in position to ice the game with a FG after the Bungles cut it to 6 points, AND milked 5 minutes off the clock to boot. How is that the offense's fault?

I'm sorry, but I am not going to give the defense a free pass. They allowed the Bungles to march right down the field and score quickly after the offense had opened up that big lead, and could not come up with a stop after Ben's INT, penalties or no penalties. Too many people want to ignore the problems on defense, and instead pass the buck to the offense. I will not. Like fansince said, if the offense has to constantly score 40 points just to ensure wins, then there is obviously a problem on the other side of the ball.

SteelMember
11-09-2010, 09:31 AM
I don't know what the big surprise is here guys. We've always been a better run stopping team with a questionable secondary. This is not anything new. :noidea:

One of the biggest issues that fans have against Coach LeBeau is his passiveness late in games. You pressure all game, then sit in a 2-deep zone in the 4th quarter. That "prevent" has cost us plenty in the past. I'm glad he brought the pressure on just about every play on that last drive. "Dance with who brung ya." I hate to lose, but I'd rather go down swinging than play passive.

Also, that 3rd and 14 where I believe Farrior basically tipped it up on a bad pass was a killer. They had some luck going their way too.

Wallace108
11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
I, for one, am not entirely happy with either the offense OR the defense right now. The offense keeps putting the defense in bad situations late in games, and the defense struggles to respond. This team, on both sides of the ball, is a different team in the fourth quarter, and I just don't get it.

Steel12
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM

Lol this is the same conversation we had on the other board. I agree that the defense is to blame for the late rally. But again, the offense needs to keep the foot on the pedal for the whole game. I don't understand why we don't try to score every possession. Running every play just to eat up clock when you have a 6 point lead is ridiculous! Everybody in the stadium knew we were going to run the ball. We have the talent to score 40 points a game...haven't we learned from last year that you can't trust the defense?

tube517
11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
:amen:

that about sums it up for me.

I, for one, am not entirely happy with either the offense OR the defense right now. The offense keeps putting the defense in bad situations late in games, and the defense struggles to respond. This team, on both sides of the ball, is a different team in the fourth quarter, and I just don't get it.

Mach1
11-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Since LeBeau is so bad maybe he should get fired so we can get a new D coach. Maybe we should put arians in charge of both O and D since he is the football genius he is.

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Lol this is the same conversation we had on the other board. I agree that the defense is to blame for the late rally. But again, the offense needs to keep the foot on the pedal for the whole game. I don't understand why we don't try to score every possession. Running every play just to eat up clock when you have a 6 point lead is ridiculous! Everybody in the stadium knew we were going to run the ball. We have the talent to score 40 points a game...haven't we learned from last year that you can't trust the defense?

But the point you seem to keep missing is that they had a TWENTY POINT LEAD in the 4th QUARTER! The offense had more than scored enough points to win the game and had a big lead. How the EFF is it their fault the defense doesn't know how to play with a big lead? I still don't understand this incessant need to always blame the offense if the defense fucks up.

Since LeBeau is so bad maybe he should get fired so we can get a new D coach. Maybe we should put arians in charge of both O and D since he is the football genius he is.

Nobody is saying LeBeau is bad or should be fired. Give me a freaking break. All I and others are doing is questioning why his unit is consistently bad when it matters the most, and why so many people are unwilling to criticize him for it.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Running every play just to eat up clock when you have a 6 point lead is ridiculous! Everybody in the stadium knew we were going to run the ball.

If Legursky makes that block on third down, we're inside the Bengals' 30 with a fresh set of downs....

Steel12
11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
But the point you seem to keep missing is that they had a TWENTY POINT LEAD in the 4th QUARTER! The offense had more than scored enough points to win the game and had a big lead. How the EFF is it their fault the defense doesn't know how to play with a big lead? I still don't understand this incessant need to always blame the offense if the defense fucks up.

Sir...I'm not blaming the offense at all for the late rally. I said the defense is the blame. But the offense doesn't need to let up once our 20 point lead is cut to 13, then cut to 6. You see our defense is struggling but you run the ball, get a 3 and out and put the struggling defense back on the field.

Steel12
11-09-2010, 10:36 AM
If Legursky makes that block on third down, we're inside the Bengals' 30 with a fresh set of downs....

I concur but he didn't...why not try to win the game instead of try not to lose it? We have the talent to score on every possession.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 10:40 AM
I concur but he didn't...why not try to win the game instead of try not to lose it? We have the talent to score on every possession.

Because then people would begin saying what a bad move it was to be airing it out when we should've been trying to run out the clock. We try to run the clock out with a 6-point lead (and why exactly would we want to let the D back on the field at that point?), move the ball 40+ yards on the ground with Mendy, chew up 5+ minutes of clock doing it, Reed misses a FG that would've iced the game (and one he used to make), and it's the offensive playcalling that's at fault? Sorry, don't see it, especially since the Bengals went right back down the field almost effortlessly on us again and were inside our 15 with less than a minute on the clock before Harrison FINALLY made a play. If Carson doesn't make an errant throw on that drive, T.O. would've wound up with 3 TDs on the night and we're lamenting being 5-3 and essentially 2 full games behind the Ravens in the division right now.

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 10:41 AM
Sir...I'm not blaming the offense at all for the late rally. I said the defense is the blame. But the offense doesn't need to let up once our 20 point lead is cut to 13, then cut to 6. You see our defense is struggling but you run the ball, get a 3 and out and put the struggling defense back on the field.

After the Bungles cut it to 13, they tried to do exactly that...be more aggressive on offense...and it ended with a pick.

After the Bungles cut it to 6, they actually drove nearly the length of the field by running the football and killing clock...and it ended with Reed's missed FG.

Even if you use those first 3 drives that went 3 and out, they still came back and got a TD to extend the lead to 20 points.

So I'm not sure what more you are asking for. You'd think getting 27 points would be enough to get the offense at least a little credit, but obviously not. You say they have enough talent to score 40 points...well, lots of other teams have a lot of talent and they aren't scoring 40 a game. Proof being that it ain't easy scoring 30 points in a game, let alone 40, with so much parity in the league.

The Duke
11-09-2010, 11:22 AM
This week will be a dog fight for you guys. After we spanked them last week, they'll be looking for blood. And although I really don't like Marcia Brady very much, he's still a better QB than Palmer. Better batten down the hatches in that 4th quarter.

hmm, the browns humiliate the saints and the saints played angry against the steelers next week. Now the browns humiliate the pats....

I think your brownies are trying to ruin our season :chuckle:

Indo
11-09-2010, 11:52 AM
there are a lot of good points being made here, but the one that is glaringly missing is this:

Gay Sucks.
(OK. Not totally, but almost totally. Hell, Even I could've blocked that punt)

T.O. owned his ass last night. His moves left Gay's jockstrap on the field on several occasions.

(I was glad to see Troy FINALLY say Hello to T. O.)

And it's a damn good thing that Harrison continues to be the Beast that he is, or we lose that game.

Raleigh Steel
11-09-2010, 12:31 PM
back up a little terminator. first off, nobody is exonerating the defense here. what i said was that the game changed at the start of the second half when this team had the chance to put they boot on the neck of the bengals and they were unable to do it. yes, they gave the defense a 20 point lead, but when you have gay and mcfadden who couldn't cover their daughters with blankets, we are gonna give up points...especially late in games when teams have to pass.

i said during the game, these 3 and outs are going to kill us later in the game...and it almost did. even if we don't get points, to get 5 total yards in 3 possessions can not be ignored.

you may be thinking that there is a blame all going to arians, and that's not the case either. i'll be the first to say i can't stand arians' offense, but i thought it looked good at times last night. but it's always something with the offense: 3 and outs, bad play calling, hines fumbles, ben throws a pick, the offense can't get closer for reed who's inconsistent.

last season, the offense would put up points in the first half and barely do anything the rest of the game and expect the defense to just bail them out. our defense isn't good enough to bail out the offense. it's gotta work both ways. the point of the post was that the STEELERS, aren't that good and THE TEAM has some problems.

for me, it looks like the defense can hold teams down for 3 quarters and absolutely suck for the other one, and the offense sucks for 3 quarters and looks good for the other one...neither side of the ball has played 60 minutes together this season (maybe the atlanta game).

the only difference between this season and last season was the defense made a play at the end of the game. but that looked almost exactly like last season. and to me, THE TEAM isn't playing much better than it did last season.

Steel12
11-09-2010, 01:32 PM
After the Bungles cut it to 13, they tried to do exactly that...be more aggressive on offense...and it ended with a pick.

After the Bungles cut it to 6, they actually drove nearly the length of the field by running the football and killing clock...and it ended with Reed's missed FG.

Even if you use those first 3 drives that went 3 and out, they still came back and got a TD to extend the lead to 20 points.

So I'm not sure what more you are asking for. You'd think getting 27 points would be enough to get the offense at least a little credit, but obviously not. You say they have enough talent to score 40 points...well, lots of other teams have a lot of talent and they aren't scoring 40 a game. Proof being that it ain't easy scoring 30 points in a game, let alone 40, with so much parity in the league.

I guess I'm asking for a more consistent offense. I never said they didn't deserve credit. Being content with a lead doesn't work when you have a whole quarter left in the game. AGAIN, I am not blaming the offense and I know the defense has its faults. But you can't ignore the fact that we put our defense on the field "hoping" they'd get a stop when we all know its been a problem for the team. My problem is that we don't go out to destroy teams when we have a chance to...we keep them in the game (even though 27-7 in the 4th should be enough) by giving their offense more chances to get a drive going.

Steeldude
11-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Also they need to stop bringing up santonio being missed in Pittsburgh....we DON't miss him!

i never understood the the hype on holmes. a headcase with average hands on a good day.

i think sanders will be the slot WR next season(barring a lockout).

Steeldude
11-09-2010, 03:23 PM
there are a lot of good points being made here, but the one that is glaringly missing is this:

Gay Sucks.

T.O. owned his ass last night. His moves left Gay's jockstrap on the field on several occasions.

And it's a damn good thing that Harrison continues to be the Beast that he is, or we lose that game.

didn't owens have his way with mcfadden too? i can't recall every play, but i think mcfadden was abused quite a bit more :)

Steeldude
11-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Gay Sucks.

didn't owens have his way with mcfadden too? i can't recall every play, but i think mcfadden was abused quite a bit more :)

HollywoodSteel
11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
i never understood the the hype on holmes. a headcase with average hands on a good day.

i think sanders will be the slot WR next season(barring a lockout).

I might be in the minority on this board, but I do miss Holmes. He's a clutch guy who can run after the catch, and he was the go to guy in Ben's scramble drill. If you've noticed, Ben has escaped the clutches of defenders quite a few times already this season only to find... nobody's open. Tone is a guy who I believe could have been the difference between some of those 3 and outs, and extending drives.

Holmes came through for the Jets this weekend with a huge catch and run to win the game for them. He would still be doing that for us if we hadn't traded him for a tackling dummy. And I really don't care that he was suspended for the first four games this year. It might have hurt a little, but clearly we had to rely on our defense to win those games. The passing game was going to pretty much suck with him or without him.

The only argument I buy is that we weren't going to pay him the big bucks next year so trade him now before he becomes a free agent. That's fine... if you got some real value for him. But I still think this would have been a mistake seeing as we are an aging team that has a narrow window to win championships. I say play for this year with all the weapons you can muster.

I believe the Rooneys acted emotionally to the combination of bad press and outrage over the loose morals that can't be tolerated around here, and if they had just given themselves some time to take a breath, they could have made a better decision.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 03:38 PM
I believe the Rooneys acted emotionally to the combination of bad press and outrage over the loose morals that can't be tolerated around here, and if they had just given themselves some time to take a breath, they could have made a better decision.

Holmes is one more misstep away from a year's suspension. Think he quit the chronic? I don't.

Count Steeler
11-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Either our guys are not as good as we think they are, (not likely), or the coaching staff is failing. Let's start with Tomlin. Last night he seemed non plussed for the time I was watching the game. He should have been in Lebeau's face and in Arians' face, telling them to get their units energized.

Lebeau, time to groom a new cornerback. Free agent, or someone on the practice roster. McFadden and Gay are not getting the job done. A rookie in there can't be any worse, and he will get some valuable playing time. STOP PLAYING PREVENT. We don't have the secondary for it.

Arians, your offense just doesn't seem to be "smart". Too predictable and lacks in execution. Part of it is Roethlisberger still not being in the full flow. He has had 4 full games now, so no more excuses next week. A couple of underthrown passes to Wallace and a lame duck floater to Miller that got picked off. Cobwebs are gone, rust is knocked off now. BRING IT. The O line blows too many blocking assignments in crucial situations. Lack of concentration? Lack of discipline? No excuse. BRING IT. Mendy is a star, nuff said.

HollywoodSteel
11-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Holmes is one more misstep away from a year's suspension. Think he quit the chronic? I don't.

I'm not sure. Nor am I sure that Ben will never again put himself in a situation that won't get him suspended for a year. I can only hope that both of them wouldn't take that chance again.

But I would gamble that Santonio wouldn't jeopardize his career for weed anytime soon. We'd probably get production from him until the end of the year, hopefully with another Lambardi that he could help us win. And if we did lose him to another suspension, we gambled away a 5th round pick. Big whoop.

ALLD
11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
You can run all day on the Pats, but we are vulnerable to the passing game.

stlrtruck
11-10-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm not sure. Nor am I sure that Ben will never again put himself in a situation that won't get him suspended for a year. I can only hope that both of them wouldn't take that chance again.

But I would gamble that Santonio wouldn't jeopardize his career for weed anytime soon. We'd probably get production from him until the end of the year, hopefully with another Lambardi that he could help us win. And if we did lose him to another suspension, we gambled away a 5th round pick. Big whoop.

Holmes even mentioned in his interview (I believe a week before he came back - it may even be posted in the AROUND THE NFL forum) that he really wasn't going to stop smoking the whacky weed! Basically saying that it doesn't interfere with his on the field production so he should be able to do what he wants off the field.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's out by the end of the year.

But back on track, I think to beat the patriots* it's got be 60 minutes of solid football, constant pressure both offensively and defensively. We all know that the patriots* can score when they need to score, at least they use to, but we shouldn't take that for granted. We need to put the foot on their throat, and leave it there, adding pressure every chance we get until the game clock reads 00:00:00

Texasteel
11-10-2010, 06:46 AM
Holmes even mentioned in his interview (I believe a week before he came back - it may even be posted in the AROUND THE NFL forum) that he really wasn't going to stop smoking the whacky weed! Basically saying that it doesn't interfere with his on the field production so he should be able to do what he wants off the field.

It wouldn't surprise me if he's out by the end of the year.

But back on track, I think to beat the patriots* it's got be 60 minutes of solid football, constant pressure both offensively and defensively. We all know that the patriots* can score when they need to score, at least they use to, but we shouldn't take that for granted. We need to put the foot on their throat, and leave it there, adding pressure every chance we get until the game clock reads 00:00:00

Think you may be right, Holmes has shown no remorse over what happened. Plus I think the extra 5th made it possible to bring Brown in here so me may have come out OK.

I still think Brady is a basically a rhythm passer, and if we can put pressure on him and get him to move around more than he wants it, will effect him. Still, our pass coverage worries me, and if we leave the middle of the field wide open like we did Monday it could be a long day for us.