PDA

View Full Version : 5 Reasons Why The Steelers Are Stronger In 2010

steelpride12
06-04-2010, 12:46 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/390735-five-reasons-why-the-steelers-are-stronger-in-2010

(http://bleacherreport.com/users/64465-david-law)

Critics and doubters of the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/pittsburgh-steelers) point to the suspension of Ben Roethlisberger (http://bleacherreport.com/ben-roethlisberger), and the trade of Santonio Holmes, as primary reasons why the team will struggle in 2010.
However, there are some very strong reasons why fans should expect an improved record in the upcoming season.
Here are five of those reasons.

DEFENSIVE STARTERS
The Steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/pittsburgh-steelers) suffered through most of the 2009 season due to the loss of two key starters from their defensive unit—Troy Polamalu (http://bleacherreport.com/troy-polamalu) and Aaron Smith.
Troy Polamalu is one of the most dynamic defensive players in the NFL (http://bleacherreport.com/nfl)— a player who can change a game with a timely interception, a devastating hit, or a QB sack at a key moment. He has a nose for the ball and a flair for the dramatic.
Polamalu’s healthy return represents a huge upgrade over Tyrone Carter, his replacement last season.
Polamalu is one of the keys to defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau’s blitzing schemes, and the defense was notably more conservative in his absence.
Aaron Smith is one of the most underrated players in the NFL.
The defensive end is a key cog in Pittsburgh’s 3-4 defense, and Smith is quietly adept at stuffing the run, pressuring the QB, and freeing up the outside linebackers to pressure the quarterback.
The loss of Smith in Week No. Five, last year, was a blow to the defense.
Perhaps the single biggest defensive weakness last season was the play of cornerback William Gay.
He proved unable to handle the job on a full-time basis after backing up Bryant McFadden quite well the previous year.
McFadden’s return represents another upgrade defensively, while Gay should prove to be a more effective nickel back than last year’s DeShea Townsend.
Finally, Ziggy Hood appears poised to take over the starting defensive end job from Brett Keisel.
While Hood still needs to prove his superiority through the preseason and exhibition games, he is bigger, younger and faster than Keisel.
If Hood gets the nod as starter, then Pittsburgh should be starting Ziggy Hood and Aaron Smith this season, which is a nice upgrade over the tandem of Keisel and Travis Kirschke who manned those spots most of 2009.
If we look at projected starters for 2010 compared to their 2009 counterparts, we are looking at Troy Polamalu, Aaron Smith, Bryant McFadden and Ziggy Hood playing as opposed to Tyrone Carter, Travis Kirschke, William Gay and Brett Keisel.
It is not unreasonable to expect Pittsburgh to be one of the NFL’s dominant defenses in 2010.

DEFENSIVE DEPTH
One of the knocks on the Steelers in 2009 was that they were too old and didn’t have the depth to cover injuries on the defensive side of the ball.
That is less of an issue in 2010.
Will Allen was brought in as a free agent to be a backup safety.
The addition of McFadden means that Gay becomes the backup at cornerback instead of an old, slow DeShea Townsend.
However, a healthy Keenan Lewis, no longer a rookie, threatens to take Gay’s job as primary backup at corner, which only adds to that depth.
Defensive end looks to be deeper with Brett Keisel backing up Ziggy Hood. The return of Larry Foote adds depth at the inside linebacker spot, while rookie Jason Worilds should prove to be a strong backup at outside linebacker.
On the whole, the defensive depth in Pittsburgh is markedly better than in 2009, and adds to expectations of a return to defensive dominance.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Far and away, the worst element of the 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers was their kick coverage.
Opposing returners frequently torched the Steelers for long runs and back-breaking TD returns.
The kick coverage woes cost coach Bob Ligashesky his job.
New special teams coach Al Everest will have a number of new players to reinforce those units.
The Steelers drafted a number of linebacker prospects who will be expected to contribute primarily in kick coverage this season.
Meanwhile, it appears that the skill positions will be in the same capable hands as last season. Reed, Sepulveda and Stefan Logan had solid seasons in the roles as placekicker, punter and return man, respectively.
The Steelers should be much improved in their special teams coverage in 2010. Honestly, they couldn’t be any worse. Even a return to merely-average would represent a significant improvement.

OFFENSIVE LINE
The offensive line was a much-criticized group last season.
Some of that criticism should rightly lie at the feet of QB Ben Roethlisberger, who tends to hold onto the ball longer than he should.
A number of Roethlisberger’s annual 50+ sacks are his fault, but that is the cost that comes with having a QB like Roethlisberger who occasionally turns those slow-developing plays into something spectacular.
Run-blocking also was a weakness in 2009, as the line often failed to pick up a run-blitz, and couldn’t open holes on short yardage plays.
First-round draft choice Maurkice Pouncey is expected to become a starter this season.
Ultimately destined to become center, Pouncey will probably start at right guard in 2010. He should improve both the pass-blocking and run-blocking this season, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends the year as the team’s best offensive lineman.
Another hint that the offensive line should be improved this season is the fact that O-line coach Larry Zierlein was fired and replaced by Sean Kugler.
The offensive linemen never developed the way that the team had hoped under Zierlein, and that should change with a new man in charge.
This is a unit that has underachieved because it has not developed the necessary agility and subtle techniques under Zierlein. Look for improvement from Colon, Kemoeatu and the rest this year.
Outside of Pouncey, the rest of the O-line returns intact, and we can expect that a full season together will show dividends in 2010 as they mesh as a unit and develop their skills.

RUNNING GAME
Team President Art Rooney, has publicly stated a desire to see the Steelers return to the effective running team that has been their tradition.
Rashard Mendenhall had a successful year in what was honestly his first year on the job.
Mendenhall averaged 4.6 yards a carry, and rushed for over 1,100 yards in only 12 starts after supplanting Fast Willie Parker as the Steelers primary runner last season. At age 22 we can expect big things this season from Mendenhall.
Many Steeler fans are hoping that Jonathan Dwyer proves to be one of the steals of the 2010 draft. Projected to be drafted much earlier, the Steelers obtained the 230-lb. Georgia Tech product in the sixth round.
Dwyer’s power running could complement Mendenhall’s slashing style, particularly if he adds some bulk.
Another reason for optimism in Steeler country is the possibility that the team might have a legitimate fullback on its 53-man roster in 2010.
That fullback could be Dwyer, or one of last year’s pair of Isaac Redman or Frank Summers.
More interesting, perhaps, is the possibility that the team could use converted Virginia Tech defensive lineman Demetrius Taylor as a fullback.
The 270-lb, Taylor could signal a return to a true fullback which has been missing since Dan Kreider departed.
It will be interesting to see if the offense really returns to more of a running attack that we have seen in the Bruce Arians era.
Offensive Coordinator Arians has shown a preference for the pass over the run, and has publicly stated that his offense doesn’t include a fullback.
Perhaps the suspension of starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to begin the season will serve as the impetus to re-focus on the running game.
Last year’s inability to close out games with a running attack exposed the need to re-establish more of a power running game in Pittsburgh.
The same can be said of the team’s poor red-zone performance. Rooney merely said what most of the team’s fans were already thinking when he publicly called for a return to the run this season.
A legitimate threat in Mendenhall, combined with a good run-blocker in the form of Maurkice Pouncey, suggest that the team has the capacity to re-establish the run.
If Rooney’s desire to run wins out over Arians’ reluctance do so, then Steeler fans should see an offense that is better at converting short-yardage plays and eating up the clock.

CONCLUSION
Improvements in the five areas above will be more than enough to overcome the Roethlisberger suspension and the trade of Santonio Holmes.
In fact, I would argue that those two circumstances herald a return to what I consider to be the hallmarks of “Steeler football” — a strong running attack and suffocating, blitzing defense.
Well, that plus the other hallmark—winning.

7willBheaven
06-04-2010, 12:59 PM
I can agree with a lot of what this "writer" said...however a few points I do not.

Calling Townsend old, slow, etc? Yes he was older and all....but he was still one of the better corners we've had and played very well when his name was called...i remember a lot of people wanting them to resign Towns and can Gay this year.

Also Hood replacing Keisel? I dont see this happening! Keisel is older....but he doesnt have the wear and tear on his body like Smith does for example...as Keisel hasnt been starting but the last 4-5 years. Plus we just signed him to a nice new contract. I do think there will be a rotation at DE as they have been doing the last couple years...and I also think Smith will be rotated more, especially later in the year to try to prevent injury/etc. Now i'm not sayin I'm against Hood starting...and he WILL be a starter...I just do not want it at the expense of someone whos been playing better and better each of the last few years and can still go! As I mentioned Hood will get more playing time this year but unless an injury happens i dont see him (as of now) being an actual starter just yet!

XxKnightxX
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
I like this read but as mentioned above, Keisel will not lose his job to Hood this season. He will back up Keisel and Smith when needed and Hood will probably be placed as the nose or the End position on 3rd down Passing situations in order to have an increase in the Pass rush from the D-line. Possibly requiring double teaming from interior linemen, Freeing up Harrison Woodley or whoever is blitzing that play. The Part that I like the most is the O-line Section. Yes Pouncey is very good, but he will have his struggles its inevitable, if he manages to avoid that it will be great, but expect the worst to happen just as a safety blanket. But other than that I do expect Kugler to develop the linemen better. Zeirlein never fit our system and he was horrible as an O line coach. I am so happy we got rid of him.

cold-hard-steel
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Looks to be an interesting year all across the board . Nice to know there are some young bucks back there waiting for their shot . Can only be a good thing . I'm into it ! We are probably more shored up than most realize . We could probably squeeze two more rings out of the old corps .