PDA

View Full Version : Steelers survive Bengals' 4th quarter charge

stillers4me
11-09-2010, 05:23 AM
By Scott Brown (sbrown@tribweb.com), PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A defense that failed to protect five fourth-quarter leads in 2009 made the biggest stand of the season shortly before midnight Monday at Paul Brown Stadium.

And the sandwich that James Harrison and Ike Taylor made out of Bengals wide receiver Jordan Shipley popped the ball free after a fourth-down catch and allowed the Steelers to avert what would have been the most stunning lose of the Mike Tomlin era.

After the Steelers barely hung on for a 27-21 win in front of an announced crowd of 65,626 —- or after the Bengals simply ran out of time, depending on one's vantage point —- Tomlin said, "(We) get to get out of here with a win. You like to learn when you win. We've seen that horror flick before. I liked this ending better."

The Steelers improved to 6-2 at the halfway point of the season, tying them with the Ravens, Jets and Patriots for the best record in the AFC...........

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_708371.html

venom
11-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Im looking foward to a game when the Steelers are up by 3 touchdowns going into the 4th and winning by more than 2 possessions . I dont get it . Is it because the D gets tired or maybe its garbage time and next thing you know the other team is less than a TD away ?

SirHulka
11-09-2010, 06:02 AM
I think lack of concentration. JMHO, but I think either Tomlin gets them up too much for the game, and by the 4th quarter they're mentally exhausted, or he doesn't have them in condition to play 60 minutes, or they're just not mentally tough enough to focus for 4 quarters. Gotta be something wrong. I don't ever remember a Steeler team under Noll or Cowher collapsing so many times in the 4th quarter.

NCSteeler
11-09-2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe the oldest starting Defense in the league gets tired at the end of games.

The D was robbed, there was no PI on that BS call . Refs trying to make an interesting MNF.