PDA

View Full Version : Defense won the game tonight.

zulater
11-09-2010, 12:20 AM
How so?

It held the Bengals to 7 points until the fourth quarter.

It forced a turnover that led to our second score. ( it would have been a td if Hines didn't let one slip through his hands :doh:)

The Steelers offense did squat in the 3rd quarter, the defense kept the game at 20-7 despite being dealt some less than ideal field position by Sepuvelda.

The Bengals first TD came after a Hines Ward fumble in Steeler territory.

The last touchdown was penalty aided ( b;s penalties at that) and came after a terrible offensive turnover.

So basically the Bengals scored one unaided touchdown at home in 60 minutes of play.

LeBeau dialed up the pressure all game. The run defense was tremendous again. And they turned the ball over on downs to preserve the victory.

Defense did their job tonight. Harrison, Ike Taylor, and Timmons were standouts.

Merchant
11-09-2010, 12:24 AM
No doubt.. people complaining about LeBeau and the defense aren't thinking straight and analyzing what really happened on the Bengals' TDs. Great effort tonight. Gonna need a greater one Sunday with Gaydy coming to town!

steelpride12
11-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Amen and +100 to you Zu! I don't care about a blown lead that our defense halted and got us the win, you have to look at all the key standout plays you mentioned to truly understand our defense!

Edman
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
B-but it's all the Defenses fault we lose these games! Never mind the fact our "Great" QB with his many weapons hops on the team plane with eight minutes left in the game. It's the D's fault Ben and the Offense sucks hard in the fourth quarter when we're not down.

Nope, all Defenses fault. +9 Turnover Differential means jack. It's all their fault.

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
And they also allowed the Bungles to march right down the field after getting a 20-point lead, giving the Bungles new life, allowed T.O. to go crazy on them, showed a complete lack of focus when the game was on the line, and were it not for James Harrison, we would be sitting here talking about one of the most embarrassing losses in Steelers history.

And you think they should get a free pass? Not from me they don't. I've seen this movie play out too many times over the past 2 years. They play lights-out for 3 quarters, then decide to take the rest of the game off. Completely unacceptable.

steelpride12
11-09-2010, 12:40 AM
No X-T. The movie played out last season with the Steelers blowing the lead and losing the game, tonight they gave up points only in the 4th after a almost perfect game, but held their ground and won the game. In the offseason idk about you, but when I see the score of this game Ill be saying we got the W that week, not looking at all the flaws in the 4th quarter.

zulater
11-09-2010, 12:43 AM
And they also allowed the Bungles to march right down the field after getting a 20-point lead, giving the Bungles new life, allowed T.O. to go crazy on them, showed a complete lack of focus when the game was on the line, and were it not for James Harrison, we would be sitting here talking about one of the most embarrassing losses in Steelers history.

And you think they should get a free pass? Not from me they don't. I've seen this movie play out too many times over the past 2 years.

No free passes, just stating things as they actually happened. The Steelers gave up one bad drive defensivley tonight. Period. The Bengals deserve some credit too, Palmer made some nice throws in the teeth of some good pressure.

McFadden and Gay had some bad lapses, but there's nothing you can do about that, they are what they are.

X-Terminator
11-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Well, at least you aren't blaming the offense for almost losing the game...

zulater
11-09-2010, 12:47 AM
The last touchdown might never have been if the refs had been half competent on that drive. How the hell can anyone hold the defense responsible for the ridiculous rougher the passer call on Hampton and the even more ridiculous PI call on Ike that T.O lobbied 20 seconds to get from ref?

steelpride12
11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
The last touchdown might never have been if the refs had been half competent on that drive. How the hell can anyone hold the defense responsible for the ridiculous rougher the passer call on Hampton and the even more ridiculous PI call on Ike that T.O lobbied 20 seconds to get from ref?
Yupp take those calls away and the Bungles may never score on that drive and it's a whole new ball game.

zulater
11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Well, at least you aren't blaming the offense for almost losing the game...

If we would have lost I'd be burning effigy's of Jeff Reed through the night. I thought the offense did a nice job on that last drive of putting the game away, well if Reed does his job anyway.

zulater
11-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Palmer led the Bengals downfield with the help of a wacky play. His pass to Cedric Benson was tipped, but the running back made a juggling catch for a 16-yard gain on third-and-long. Chad Ochocinco's only catch of the game moved it to the 12-yard line.

From NFL.com. another example of how luck factors into NFL play. The Steelers had that play defended about as good as you can defend one, and by a fluky bounce they get a 1st down past midfield instead of 4th and 13.

Galax Steeler
11-09-2010, 03:46 AM
I don't think the D played all that bad. Some of those penalties were questionable but that is what it is we came out with a win and I will take it.

SirHulka
11-09-2010, 05:00 AM
No X-T. The movie played out last season with the Steelers blowing the lead and losing the game, tonight they gave up points only in the 4th after a almost perfect game, but held their ground and won the game. In the offseason idk about you, but when I see the score of this game Ill be saying we got the W that week, not looking at all the flaws in the 4th quarter.

You better not. You better be looking for some back-side D help.

waitaminnit. On second thought, you're right. Just relish the wins, and keep the same guys you have.

steelers7810
11-09-2010, 05:04 AM
If we would have lost I'd be burning effigy's of Jeff Reed through the night. I thought the offense did a nice job on that last drive of putting the game away, well if Reed does his job anyway.[/QUOTE]
The offense did it's part in the end, Jeff Reed should have put the game away.

BlastFurnace
11-09-2010, 05:48 AM
It's been a consistent pattern for 2 years now with this defense. They can't shut anyone down in the 4th QTR. Had Shipley hung on to that ball, you defensive supporters are talking a completely different tune. The defense was lucky last night.

venom
11-09-2010, 05:54 AM
We have to stop those penalities down the stretch . The outcome wouldn't have been that close .

zulater
11-09-2010, 01:57 PM
We have to stop those penalities down the stretch . The outcome wouldn't have been that close .

Considering the quality of a couple of those calls I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that? :wtf: I thought Ike played that pass perfectly where he was called for interference in the end zone, and so did Trent Dilfer and all the guys on the ESPN wrap up show.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Considering the quality of a couple of those calls I'm not sure how you'd go about doing that? :wtf: I thought Ike played that pass perfectly where he was called for interference in the end zone, and so did Trent Dilfer and all the guys on the ESPN wrap up show.

Yep. Not to mention the occasions (that's plural) where Woodley and Harrison both got tackled by a Bengals O-lineman with no flag. People who continually squawk about how we have the damn refs in our pocket need to drink a heaping cupful of STFU.

tube517
11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Eh, season's over....time to start looking at the draft. Just give up on the whole team now. :sarcasm2:

Never mind that the rest of the NFL looks just as shaky. There is no dominant team in the pass happy league of Roger the Tackle Dodger

zulater
11-09-2010, 02:19 PM
All 4 starting linebackers played a tremendous game last night. And if you know anything about the way the Steelers play defense it follows suit that the d-line ( depleted as it is) also had a great game, because the linebackers aren't free to do their thing unless the DL is doing what they're supposed to be doing within the scheme.

oneforthetoe
11-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Yep. Not to mention the occasions (that's plural) where Woodley and Harrison both got tackled by a Bengals O-lineman with no flag. People who continually squawk about how we have the damn refs in our pocket need to drink a heaping cupful of STFU.

And don't forget about the play where Andre Smith, the bungles RT, took a step back about a second before the snap. I have seen that a great deal this year. Must be a new directive from Goodell.

43Hitman
11-09-2010, 04:01 PM
Don't know if this has been said yet or not but I saw a LOT of times when Ben completely ignored his check down who was WIDE open all night. Mainly Heath. He needs to start hitting those check downs so the defense starts creeping up on those, then he'll be able to hit more of the big plays that he covets.

Count Steeler
11-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Our front seven is among the best in the league. Troy is top notch, Ike is better than average, but McFadden and Clark and Gay need to step up their game. We are only as strong as our weakest link. We look good on 1st and 2nd down and then can't hold on 3rd.

Psycho Ward 86
11-09-2010, 05:08 PM
How so?

I didn't have to read anymore to tell you that you're wrong. So you're saying our defense from last year was good last year? You know, because they were good for the 1st 3 quarters?

Delraich
11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Great post zulater. The special teams gift wrapped 10 free points for us and the D stoned the Bungals for 3 quarters. Yet our flawless offense only manages 17 more points. This flawless offense instead of knocking cincy out turns the ball over in the forth for the second week in a row. Then at the end after Skippy misses another chance to knock cincy out this elite D(yes I'm not drunk our D is elite and there are 29 other teams in the league that would sell their souls to have it) won it for us. Steeler fans are spoiled just take a look around the league and try and pay attention then come back and give me your argument for 21 points which is a sub par game for us getting a goat ball.

Raleigh Steel
11-09-2010, 07:54 PM
to say that the defense "won the game" is a little misleading. if they would have lost it would also be misleading to say that the offense lost the game. had the team lost it would have been a total team effort in the loss as much as it was a total team effort that we won the game.

that being said, i realize that this team has fallen short of their potential...and they're 6-2! but if they don't start playing to their potential 6-2 can turn to 9-7 as quickly as it did last season. am i asking too much of them? YOU'RE DAMN RIGHT I AM! I'M A FAN...THAT'S MY JOB!

zulater
11-09-2010, 08:00 PM
I didn't have to read anymore to tell you that you're wrong. So you're saying our defense from last year was good last year? You know, because they were good for the 1st 3 quarters?

No I'm saying they only gave up 7 points through 3 quarters against the Bengals this last game. I'm saying of the 3 td's they gave up only one came after a long drive by the Bengals, the other two were aided by Steeler fumbles that led to favorable field position for the Bengals.

Craic
11-09-2010, 08:57 PM
No I'm saying they only gave up 7 points through 3 quarters against the Bengals this last game. I'm saying of the 3 td's they gave up only one came after a long drive by the Bengals, the other two were aided by Steeler fumbles that led to favorable field position for the Bengals.

I don't buy it Zu. When the defense is giving up an AVERAGE of 7.8 points EVERY fourth quarter... its time they stop getting a pass. When they have given up 2 touchdowns in the last two fourth quarters... its time to stop giving them a pass. When this has been the historical pattern of this team going back to 1995, as is documented in another thread... its time to stop giving them a pass.

zulater
11-09-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't buy it Zu. When the defense is giving up an AVERAGE of 7.8 points EVERY fourth quarter... its time they stop getting a pass. When they have given up 2 touchdowns in the last two fourth quarters... its time to stop giving them a pass. When this has been the historical pattern of this team going back to 1995, as is documented in another thread... its time to stop giving them a pass.

I'm not addressing trends, all I'm talking about is this specific game the defense did the job asked and needed of them.

But if we're going to talk trends doesn't it resonate at all that the Steelers are still leading the league in points against?

I'm sure Bruce Arians would have a few more fans if the offense was at or near the top in points scored.

Delraich
11-09-2010, 09:50 PM
But if we're going to talk trends doesn't it resonate at all that the Steelers are still leading the league in points against?

Points allowed doesn't mean anything....we suck:violin:

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 11:55 PM
to say that the defense "won the game" is a little misleading. if they would have lost it would also be misleading to say that the offense lost the game. had the team lost it would have been a total team effort in the loss as much as it was a total team effort that we won the game.

that being said, i realize that this team has fallen short of their potential...and they're 6-2!

If this team could start putting together full 60-minute games on each side of the ball, they'd probably be kicking the crap out of other teams.

IUSteel
11-10-2010, 12:44 AM
If this team could start putting together full 60-minute games on each side of the ball, they'd probably be kicking the crap out of other teams.

Agreed, but that's the story of this year in both conferences. If Patriots could stop the run, they'd be the best team. If the Ravens offense could find consistency, they'd be by far the best team. Hell, if Miami could convert 3rd downs, they'd be the best team.

The parity this year is staggering, the 0-8 Bills are better than most 4 win teams the last few years. Very little difference in 6-2 and 2-6 teams this year, which is why everyone is flipping out.

Realistically, what will probably happen is the Steelers drop another 2 games in the next four weeks, then go on a mad rampage to close out 12-4. It's like it's our every-other-year plan.

zulater
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
How so?

It forced a turnover that led to our second score. ( it would have been a td if Hines didn't let one slip through his hands :doh:)

The Steelers offense did squat in the 3rd quarter, the defense kept the game at 20-7 despite being dealt some less than ideal field position by Sepuvelda.

The Bengals first TD came after a Hines Ward fumble in Steeler territory.

The last touchdown was penalty aided ( b.s penalties at that) and came after a terrible offensive turnover.

So basically the Bengals scored one unaided touchdown at home in 60 minutes of play.

LeBeau dialed up the pressure all game. The run defense was tremendous again. And they turned the ball over on downs to preserve the victory.

Defense did their job tonight. Harrison, Ike Taylor, and Timmons were standouts.

I'm glad the league confirmed my opinion today!:humble:

:chuckle: