PDA

View Full Version : The worst wins in the steelers history!

polamalubeast
11-08-2010, 10:51 PM
Seriously ..... He almost had a big collapse!

The important thing is the win but I am not happy with the 4th quarter!

But 6-2 is good!

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Jon Gruden said the Steelers in their ENTIRE history have 179 wins, 1 tie, and 0 losses when they hold a 20 point lead at any point during a game (we were 27-7 at one point).

Damn, we almost let our rep go down the shitter :chuckle:

RushHard34
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
The only reason why they were in the game was bc of luck, and some terrible penalty calls....and no calls. They could have called a hold on every single play...

fansince'76
11-08-2010, 10:58 PM
We went 2-1 in a very tough 3-game road stretch. I'll take it. But yeah, there's no excuse for letting teams back into games like that.

tube517
11-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Go Falcons this Thursday night!

Psycho Ward 86
11-08-2010, 11:00 PM
The only reason why they were in the game was bc of luck, and some terrible penalty calls....and no calls. They could have called a hold on every single play...

....and it would not have mattered because the Bengals drove down the field most of the time after we sacked Palmer or the Bengals got called for holding...

steelerdude15
11-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I don't know if you could call this the worst win in our history. Let's not forget that 3-0 victory over Miami not to long ago. I hate victories like this, I hope we can start blowing people out.

BlastFurnace
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM
I like LeBeau and all...but our 4th QTR defense sucks big time! It's a pattern that has occurred over and over again. Offense turtles, defense lets teams get easy points, then nailbiter at the end. For once, can't our supposed great defense shut anyone down!

Butch
11-08-2010, 11:06 PM

Hit the nail on the head.

Not the worst win in our histrory hell how bout that Miami win just a couple weeks back.

Merchant
11-08-2010, 11:08 PM
I like LeBeau and all...but our 4th QTR defense sucks big time! It's a pattern that has occurred over and over again. Offense turtles, defense lets teams get easy points, then nailbiter at the end. For once, can't our supposed great defense shut anyone down!

Wouldn't blame it on the defense as much as discipline. Ben throws that duck of a ball for a pick, and that was followed by THREE consecutive 15+ yard penalties that led to the Benson TD. Don't even get me started about Reed missing that FG.

Wallace108
11-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Everyone is blaming the defense for letting the Bungles get back in it. I think the problem is focus, or lack thereof. We were up 27-7, the players lost focus ... the coaches lost focus ... hell, even I lost focus (I thought the game was in the bag). It's a 60-minute game. They better start recognizing that.

steelpride12
11-08-2010, 11:21 PM
A couple of things went wrong tonight including injuries, but its the NFL and not the BCS. A win is a win and Ill take it any way, form, or shape.

tube517
11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
B-b-b-b-b-ut this will knock the Steelers down in the NFL "rankings" :sarcasm:

A couple of things went wrong tonight including injuries, but its the NFL and not the BCS. A win is a win and Ill take it any way, form, or shape.

fansince'76
11-08-2010, 11:23 PM
A couple of things went wrong tonight including injuries....

That's another thing - WTF is up with all the injuries? :horror:

steeldevil
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM

I was not alive then, but didnt the 79 Steelers have a lot of injuries too! :grin:

steel9guy
11-08-2010, 11:27 PM

Yeah that was ridiculous. Every freaken play someone was injured. I hope Keisel comes back. And ESPN"s coverage was ridiculous with all of those commercials in the last quarter. IT TOOK FOREVER TO GET THE GAME DONE! But I"m glad at least Pouncey was able to come back in.

steelpride12
Seriously it was Starks, Pouncey, Kemo, Kiesel, and Redman. Only Pouncey and Redman returned.

fansince'76
I was not alive then, but didnt the 79 Steelers have a lot of injuries too! :grin:

Yep, but the salary cap and resultant lack of depth due to the salary cap were not an issue. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
11-08-2010, 11:28 PM
I'll tell you what, if I didn't have to leave for work when the game ended, I'd have gone on a 5-star rant. Instead, I slammed down my remote control on my desk and left. I cannot FUCKING believe they almost blew a 20-point lead in the 4th quarter. That game should have never, EVER been close. They had better start keeping their goddamned heads in the game when they get to the 4th quarter, because I'm sick and tired of seeing this shit every week.

zulater
11-08-2010, 11:28 PM

At least Pouncey's ok.

zulater
11-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I'll tell you what, if I didn't have to leave for work when the game ended, I'd have gone on a 5-star rant. Instead, I slammed down my remote control on my desk and left. I cannot FUCKING believe they almost blew a 20-point lead in the 4th quarter. That game should have never, EVER been close. They had better start keeping their god damned heads in the game when they get to the 4th quarter, because I'm sick and tired of seeing this shit every week.

Very unsatisfying win, but an unsatisfying win is always better than a loss.

BlastFurnace
11-08-2010, 11:31 PM
I'll tell you what, if I didn't have to leave for work when the game ended, I'd have gone on a 5-star rant. Instead, I slammed down my remote control on my desk and left. I cannot FUCKING believe they almost blew a 20-point lead in the 4th quarter. That game should have never, EVER been close. They had better start keeping their goddamned heads in the game when they get to the 4th quarter, because I'm sick and tired of seeing this shit every week.

I think it's simple...this team does not have a killer instict.

fansince'76
11-08-2010, 11:32 PM

Y'know, it's funny - I never felt good, even when we went up 27-7. Even then, I was thinking "way too much time left." Sure enough. Thank GOD we got the stop at the end.

polamalubeast
11-08-2010, 11:34 PM

Very True

I have very a big headache right now!

steelpride12
11-08-2010, 11:34 PM
God this board is on overload about a win, wonder how it would be for a loss!

X-Terminator
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM
I think it's simple...this team does not have a killer instict.

BINGO.

How many times does this have to happen before they start going for the jugular late in games? They'd better be kissing James Harrison's ass tonight BIG TIME.

It's not a good win. They should have blown this team out; instead they piss around and almost fucking blow it. Again. I can't be happy about that, sorry.

polamalubeast
11-08-2010, 11:37 PM

If the Steelers would have lost against the Bungles after having had a lead of 27-7 .... it was the worst loss of the steelers in my life!.....I am the Steelers since 2001!

Merchant
11-08-2010, 11:37 PM

True Steelers fans. Never satisfied :chuckle:

tube517
11-08-2010, 11:41 PM
I have very a big headache right now!

Very True

I have very a headache right now!

oneforthetoe
11-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Seriously it was Starks, Pouncey, Kemo, Kiesel, and Redman. Only Pouncey and Redman returned.

They need to sit Kiesel down until that hammy is completely healed.

tube517
11-08-2010, 11:43 PM
That's Steeler Universe. Never satisfied. 6 Lombardi Trophies will spoil you. :grouphug:

polamalubeast
11-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I am very upset with the 4th quarter!

I feel a bit like Dennis Green now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYKIcnj1MJY

steelpride12
11-08-2010, 11:51 PM
BINGO.

How many times does this have to happen before they start going for the jugular late in games? They'd better be kissing James Harrison's ass tonight BIG TIME.

It's not a good win. They should have blown this team out; instead they piss around and almost fucking blow it. Again. I can't be happy about that, sorry.

You can throw all the stats or bad playcalling you want at me grouch head, but we still won. 6-2.

zulater
11-08-2010, 11:52 PM
It's very rare to win the 3rd game of a 3 game road trip in the NFL. So we should have known this one would be tough.

X-Terminator
11-08-2010, 11:55 PM
You can throw all the stats or bad playcalling you want at me grouch head, but we still won. 6-2.

Wait a second...weren't you one of the ones complaining in the Gameday thread about the very same things I'm complaining about now? Look man, I don't mean any offense to you at all - you know we've always been cool. But I really don't give a damn that they won the game. This bullshit has been going on for almost 2 seasons now and I've reached my limit. Either it gets fixed, or it's going to start costing them games.

oneforthetoe
11-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Everyone is blaming the defense for letting the Bungles get back in it. I think the problem is focus, or lack thereof. We were up 27-7, the players lost focus ... the coaches lost focus ... hell, even I lost focus (I thought the game was in the bag). It's a 60-minute game. They better start recognizing that.

I agree with this. I was pleasantly surprised that no-one in this thread blamed the prevent defense for the almost collapse. It is not a scheme problem. We ere bringing the heat in the fourth quarter. I just don't get it. Obviously we need some cbs with coverage skills. And on that note, we need we need to lock up Ike. I can't imagine what this pass defense would be like without him.

I'm not turning this into a Jeff Reed bashing thread - I have defended him because I thought some of his recent misses have been difficult kicks. However, I am done defending him. Even as kicker accustomed to Heinz Field he simply is not a "money kicker" anymore. So, thanks for the game winning kicks over the years, but after this season - "so long Jeff."

steelpride12
11-08-2010, 11:59 PM
Wait a second...weren't you one of the ones complaining in the Gameday thread about the very same things I'm complaining about now? Look man, I don't mean any offense to you at all - you know we've always been cool. But I really don't give a damn that they won the game. This bullshit has been going on for almost 2 seasons now and I've reached my limit. Either it gets fixed, or it's going to start costing them games.
Of course I was complaining during the game who wasn't. My point is OK this defense in the 4th quarter was suspect and looked like last seasons blowing games, but the key is this time we didn't blow the game. Sure it was close and 20 points is a shit load, but when we needed the defense most they came in and got the job done. Im sorry, but Ill take a super bowl ring any day with a sloppy, almost lost win.

IUSteel
11-09-2010, 12:03 AM
As others have said, it's lack of focus and inconsistency. Inconsistency in playcalling (Arians will call a bad game, then have a great game like this, LeBeau will call an amazing first half and then gradually let loose until we're playing 8 yards off a future HoFer 3 times in a row), inconsistency in kicking, inconsistency in individual players (Gay will blow coverage four times a game, and block a punt or cause a fumble, etc), inconsistency with Ben throwing lasers and then ducks, receivers as a whole will have their hands turn to stone, etc etc.

At times we're a better defense than the '08 season. At times, we're a worse defense than the '09 season. At times, we look like the best Steelers team ever, and at times we look like the Bengals. No reason we can't correct it by January.

Devilsdancefloor
11-09-2010, 02:33 AM
ok that dump off to benson i think woodley tipped @the line and farrior tipped it away from benson but some how he still caught the damn ball. all i could think about is OMG it is gonna happen again jut like last year Bungles leonard gets away from farrior and scores with like no time left! Someone is gonna have to say hey we need to stop playing soft in the 4th quarter leave the foot on the throat.

Edman
11-09-2010, 02:39 AM
There are four 6-2 teams currently in the field in the AFC. They all play each other this year. Two of the 6-2 teams play within their own division.

One of them is going to collapse. The way things are going now, Pittsburgh is staring at another midseason collapse. With lackluster play at QB and a Defense that still stinks in the 4th quarter, I really don't like our chances when famed Steeler killer Tom Brady comes to Heinz next week. I'm sorry folks, but this team has a LOT of glaring problems.

Last night's near debacle teared it: this team still cannot seal the deal, and it's going to bite them in the ass just like last year. If they didn't get it last year, they aren't getting it anytime soon. Same old issues on Offense, Same old issues on Defense. Little has changed.

venom
11-09-2010, 06:06 AM
Its a win. Better yet , its an AFC NORTH WIN !

Kaeg
11-09-2010, 06:36 AM
Think of it this way: We play better from behind. We can't hold a 4th quarter lead. Problem solved. We will be behind in the 4th quarter next week and then we can pull out the win! :peep:

BPS3akaWirels3
11-09-2010, 07:07 AM
I blame this game on a fumble and some stupid penalties... Not the coaches... But it's a WIN.

Lambert_Loonie
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
The Pittsburgh Steelers came within 5 yards of losing to a 2-5 team.

Read that over several times, and if it doesn't make you boil then I don't know what will.

Sure, it's a win. And it's a win in the division. But against the Bungles? It's like ordering filet mignon and getting a Big Mac instead.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Read that over several times, and if it doesn't make you boil then I don't know what will.

Sure, it's a win. And it's a win in the division. But against the Bungles? It's like ordering filet mignon and getting a Big Mac instead.

And the Pats got their doors blown off by a 2-5 team. I've taken a beating in my office pick'em pool on a weekly basis this season because the teams that are "supposed to win" routinely don't. I'd be a lot more disappointed with a loss.

steelpride12
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM

Is it? Last time I checked most division game come down to the wire and are tight hard fought games.

tube517
11-09-2010, 01:31 PM
While I wasn't happy with how the game transpired, we couldn't even get a Big Mac last year so 6-2 is about the best they could have come out of the first half of the season. 3-1 with Ben and 3-1 without Ben.

But, just the way the game went on after taking a 27-7 lead, they rarely put teams away.

zulater
11-09-2010, 01:45 PM

And the Ravens were taken to overtime by the winless Bills, at home no less. If the refs hadn't awarded the Bengals their second touchdown, or if Jeff Reed does the job he's getting paid to do there never would have been a doubt. A divisional road win is nothing you should ever take for granted no matter what the record of you opponent is. That's the nature of football.

zulater
11-09-2010, 01:50 PM
There are four 6-2 teams currently in the field in the AFC. They all play each other this year. Two of the 6-2 teams play within their own division.

One of them is going to collapse. The way things are going now, Pittsburgh is staring at another midseason collapse. With lackluster play at QB and a Defense that still stinks in the 4th quarter, I really don't like our chances when famed Steeler killer Tom Brady comes to Heinz next week. I'm sorry folks, but this team has a LOT of glaring problems.

Last night's near debacle teared it: this team still cannot seal the deal, and it's going to bite them in the ass just like last year. If they didn't get it last year, they aren't getting it anytime soon. Same old issues on Offense, Same old issues on Defense. Little has changed.

I guess you missed the Patriots getting trucked by the Browns? Hey I'm not saying we're going to beat the Patriots based on that, but your assertions that the closeness of this game has anything to do with what's going to happen this coming Sunday at Heinz is equally baseless.

The Steelers just finished off a 3 game road swing with a victory, you have any idea what the odds against that are? Do you realize that big time gamblers make a fortune betting against teams on the tail end of 3 game road trips?

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry folks, but this team has a LOT of glaring problems.

Everybody does. You see a dominant team in this league? I don't.

tube517
11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Agree 100%. While I don't like the way they can't put teams away (offense's problem) or they can't stop teams in the 4th Q (defense's problem), the way this season is shaping up, every team has a chance to come back or any "bad" team can easily beat a "good" team.

On another note, the Steelers are starting to look like a MASH unit so they may not make it to the finish line.

Everybody does. You see a dominant team in this league? I don't.