PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Clark: NFL 'Ruined' by Crackdown on Helmet to Helmet Hits

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2010, 04:58 PM
By Chris Burke
NFL Editor | Follow on Twitter: @nflfanhouse

Kurt Coleman's hit on Austin Collie, a play that left Collie laid out motionless for several minutes on the Lincoln Financial Field, incited plenty of discussion in its wake.

In a near-unanimous chorus, NFL analysts criticized the 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty Coleman was flagged for and pleaded with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to not punish Coleman, despite Collie's injury -- the Indianapolis receiver suffered a concussion on the play and had to be taken off the field on a stretcher.

Steelers defensive back Ryan Clark also weighed in on the controversy via Twitter, arguing that the rules recently enacted by the NFL to protect its offensive players had gone too far.

"We can't flag people because a hit is hard. May God bless Austin Collie but that hit was not illegal. The game is ruined!" Clark (@RyanClark25) tweeted.

"Special thanks to all the media. The little league world series in now more physical than professional football. You've been heard!"

This isn't the first time Clark's been vocal about the NFL's policy on helmet-to-helmet hits. Following a brutal Week 6 that saw several players leave games with head injuries, the NFL adjusted its rules to allow for suspensions on particularly dangerous hits. Clark responded, again on Twitter:

"So the NFL wants to suspend players for helmet to helmet due to injuries, yet the NFL wants 2 more games. Make sense?"

It remains to be seen if Goodell issues any fine or suspension to Coleman, but Clark -- somewhat ironically -- could face disciplinary action himself for coming to Coleman's defense. And while Coleman may sidestep a punishment, Packers defensive back Nick Collins likely won't be so lucky. Collins was hit with a 15-yard penalty in Green Bay's Sunday night win over Dallas when he launched himself into a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cowboys receiver Roy Williams, who had to be helped off the field after lying face down for a moment.

You tell 'em Ryan!

salamander
11-08-2010, 05:27 PM
Well said, Ryan!

So how long before Der Kommish fines him? :peep:

fansince'76
11-08-2010, 05:47 PM
"Special thanks to all the media. The little league world series in now more physical than professional football. You've been heard!"

Amen, Ryan. :lol: :lol: :lol:

stillers4me
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Ryan has been extremely vocal about this on Twitter.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Looks like the league agrees with you Ryan on the Collie hit. No fine on Coleman.

Is the league really ruined? How many people have stopped watching the games the past few weeks? And for what reason; because players are getting fined more often? Has there been a dramatic increase in penalties? There haven't been any suspensions. You're still watching the same players.

SMR
11-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Good for Ryan to speak on the matter. I would buy him a mega phone with Der Kommish's name on it as an early, early Christmas gift.

HometownGal
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Preach on Ryan! :applaudit: :thumbsup:

Kudos to the majority of the sports media who are outraged over the flag and possible fine on Coleman. It's about time they grew some nanas and spoke up against the ballet Gooddickhead is turning the NFL into. :drink:

Proper
11-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Looks like the league agrees with you Ryan on the Collie hit. No fine on Coleman.

Is the league really ruined? How many people have stopped watching the games the past few weeks? And for what reason; because players are getting fined more often? Has there been a dramatic increase in penalties? There haven't been any suspensions. You're still watching the same players.

Well, Ryan was talking about the play being flagged, not the fine. It really annoyed me when I watched the flag come out, as it seemed the refs threw it in reaction to the fans and Collie being on the ground. The flag was slightly delayed.

I think that's part of the negative impact that this sudden lock down on big hits has caused; refs reacting to players and fans reactions to big hits by throwing a flag because they feel they should be in-line with the league's spot light on big hits.

Steeltreal
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Its a pansy league. Keep the hits rolling Steelers. REAL STEEL ! Lets go out as the Last Hard Hitting D. The last top defense. Before this new Pansy era takes over.

SMR
11-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, Ryan was talking about the play being flagged, not the fine. It really annoyed me when I watched the flag come out, as it seemed the refs threw it in reaction to the fans and Collie being on the ground. The flag was slightly delayed.

I think that's part of the negative impact that this sudden lock down on big hits has caused; refs reacting to players and fans reactions to big hits by throwing a flag because they feel they should be in-line with the league's spot light on big hits.

Yeah, and look for this to continue on a weekly basis. :poop:

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:26 PM

Mistakes happen. It is a fast-paced game after all, as you guys like to point out.

The league is doing its best to correct problems and since you can't take away the penalty, they did the next best thing by not fining Coleman.

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2010, 06:29 PM

No fine but they also said that the play was "officiated properly". WTF? They said that it was a legal hit so there was no fine but then they say that there should've been a penalty??? Idiot NFL still covering for poor officiating.

The league is being ruined for me. I see defensive players hesitating and missing tackles that they would've made previously. I see teams not even bothering to try to run the ball because the rules make it much easier to throw the ball up and down the field. Give me the good old days of smash mouth football any day.

Proper
11-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Mistakes do happen, but that wasn't really my point.

I was more pointing out that in this case, the ref had not thrown a flag until a few seconds after the play had happened. It was as if he waited for a reaction from the crowd and other players to throw it. Just what I perceived and felt was wrong with the call.

Also, I believe the media had an effect on whether or not that hit was fined. I'm curious what the out come would've been if every person in the media wasn't talking about how that play was legal and shouldn't be fined.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Mistakes do happen, but that wasn't really my point.

I was more pointing out that in this case, the ref had not thrown a flag until a few seconds after the play had happened. It was as if he waited for a reaction from the crowd and other players to throw it. Just what I perceived and felt was wrong with the call.

Also, I believe the media had an effect on whether or not that hit was fined. I'm curious what the out come would've been if every person in the media wasn't talking about how that play was legal and shouldn't be fined.

Maybe the ref was just trying to replay the play through his mind. I dunno.

I doubt the media reaction had much of an influence. If the media had an influence on this, they would have nenever escalated fines in the first place.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:38 PM
No fine but they also said that the play was "officiated properly". WTF? They said that it was a legal hit so there was no fine but then they say that there should've been a penalty??? Idiot NFL still covering for poor officiating.

The league is being ruined for me. I see defensive players hesitating and missing tackles that they would've made previously. I see teams not even bothering to try to run the ball because the rules make it much easier to throw the ball up and down the field. Give me the good old days of smash mouth football any day.

If players can't make a tackle without hitting a guy in the helmet with his shoulder or own helmet, that's his problem. I'm still seeing countless of big hits.

Butch
11-08-2010, 06:41 PM

Nobody suspended because we play tonight. Think I'm wrong why hasn't the guy in the philly game been suspended??? Think I'm wrong how come they haven't said a word about the hit on Hines??? Were is the suspension for the helmet to helmet hit by the packer on williams for the crybosy???

We watch because we pull for our team to overcome the adversity, but don't tell me they aren't trying to change the game they are and it benefits the teams lead by tom terrific and peyton. The press slobbers all over these guys and so Go To Hell Godell follows their lead.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:45 PM
Nobody suspended because we play tonight. Think I'm wrong why hasn't the guy in the philly game been suspended??? Think I'm wrong how come they haven't said a word about the hit on Hines??? Were is the suspension for the helmet to helmet hit by the packer on williams for the crybosy???

We watch because we pull for our team to overcome the adversity, but don't tell me they aren't trying to change the game they are and it benefits the teams lead by tom terrific and peyton. The press slobbers all over these guys and so Go To Hell Godell follows their lead.

The NFL apparently didn't suspend Collins because this is his first offense. They did levy a major fine on him, 50K.

The NFL doesn't have to suspend someone and so far, they haven't. They are just letting the players know that they will use that as a punishment if they feel it's needed.

If the NFL doesn't suspend someone, you guys get on their case. If they were to, you guys would say how it ruined the game. You're putting them in a no-win situation. Exactly where you guys want them.

Butch
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
The NFL apparently didn't suspend Collins because this is his first offense. They did levy a major fine on him, 50K.

The NFL doesn't have to suspend someone and so far, they haven't. They are just letting the players know that they will use that as a punishment if they feel it's needed.

If the NFL doesn't suspend someone, you guys get on their case. If they were to, you guys would say how it ruined the game. You're putting them in a no-win situation. Exactly where you guys want them.

No the NFL has put itself in this situation by using double standards. Let me ask you how do you like the way they handled the Big Ben suspension??? How bout the favre suspension??? Oh that's right they didn't suspend brett did they!!! They only were concerned if it took place on NFL properties, didn't know the bar in Atlanta was NFL properties.

How bout the hit on Hines last week looked pretty much like a helmet to helmet to me, but funny how you never heard so much as a mouse peep on it from the press or Go To Hell Godell!!!

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
No the NFL has put itself in this situation by using double standards. Let me ask you how do you like the way they handled the Big Ben suspension??? How bout the favre suspension??? Oh that's right they didn't suspend brett did they!!! They only were concerned if it took place on NFL properties, didn't know the bar in Atlanta was NFL properties.

How bout the hit on Hines last week looked pretty much like a helmet to helmet to me, but funny how you never heard so much as a mouse peep on it from the press or Go To Hell Godell!!!

Ben and Favre were two totally different situations I could sit here all day and discuss them. Namely, the Ben case had the girl step forward and openly accuse Ben of an action while Sterger refused to speak out.

For all we know, the league looked at the Ward hit. We have no idea what their thoughts were.

Butch
11-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Ben and Favre were two totally different situations I could sit here all day and discuss them. Namely, the Ben case had the girl step forward and openly accuse Ben of an action while Sterger refused to speak out.

For all we know, the league looked at the Ward hit. We have no idea what their thoughts were.

Ben's case was alleged while Bretts was not.

As for the Hines hit if they did look at it they applied their double standard.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Ben's case was alleged while Bretts was not.

As for the Hines hit if they did look at it they applied their double standard.

Favre's case was alleged. What are you talking about?

The only thing Favre admitted to were the voicemails which would be no reason for suspension. We con't confirm who the pictures are of.

SirHulka
11-09-2010, 02:55 AM
You know what? I've been watching and re-watching many of the helmet-to-helmet hits, and this is the conclusion I've come to. Today's defensive players are more interested in hitting than tackling. Every one of those hits, the D player led with either his head or shoulder. If they had led with their hands, in an effort to TACKLE the guy, instead of hitting him, there would have been one, maybe two helmet-to-helmet plays at most.

I understand the reasoning behind the hitting. Hit the guy hard enough, and he'll drop the ball. How's this for an answer? LEARN TO COVER THE WR, SO HE DOESN'T GET THE BALL IN THE FIRST PLACE! Look at Ed Reed. QB's don't throw a lot at him, not because he's a hard hitter, but because he knows how to cover, and is a real threat of a pick-six every time the ball comes his way. Same thing with Revis. He prevents the WR from getting his hands on the ball.

I know almost everyone in here (and in the other forums as well) will disagree with me, many saying I don't know a damn thing about football, but you'll all be entitled to your (wrong) opinion. Lead with your hands, not your shoulder, and you'll have just as many hard hits, but the chances of the WR bouncing off and going in for 6 will be a lot lower.

Anyway, JMHO.