PDA

View Full Version : Ben Roethlisberger: The Top Five "Big Ben" Clutch Moments

polamalubeast
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/397416-top-five-big-ben-clutch-moments#page/6

http://community.post-gazette.com/cfs-filesystemfile.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Components.PostAttachments/00.00.06.89.92/pg_5F00_mfsb22_5F00_roethlisberger_5F00_trophy.JPG _2D00_500x400.jpg
Nowadays, if you read an article about Ben Roethlisberger, it's usually about his incident in Georgia.
The article will usually be negative.
However, this is not the Big Ben that Steelers fans have come to know and love.
Regardless of his off-field issues, he's still a two time Super Bowl champion and one of the best quarterbacks in the league.
He's a guy that can shake off 300-pound linemen and turn a sack into a completion. He can put the team on his shoulders and deliver.
Throughout Ben's career, we have seen examples of these things. To me, there are five special moments that stand out the most.
I want to bring them to light.
So, for a few minutes, let's pretend that dreadful night in Georgia never happened. Lets take a trip down memory lane and enjoy Big Ben's top five clutch moments.

No. 5 Superbowl XL: The Block
It was hard finding a picture of the block, so I went with the next best thing.
This is one of Ben's forgotten plays. Even though he wasn't directly responsible for the result, he paved the way for it.
The play was a fake reverse WR pass from Antwaan Randle El to Hines Ward. While the play was developing, a lineman broke through pass protection. That's when Big Ben delivered a block that gave Randle El enough time to hit Hines Ward in the endzone for a touchdown.
The play may not have been much, but because of his block, the Steelers were able to seal the deal on Super Bowl XL against the Seahawks with a 21-10 win.

No. 4 Week 15 2008: Breaking The Plane
It was week 15 of the 2008 season. The Steelers were playing their hated rivals in Baltimore.
From the beginning, the game had been a defensive battle. The Steelers got the ball back with some time left on the clock, down 9-6.
As expected, Big Ben led the offense down the field with a couple of big plays. The Steelers were facing 3rd and goal.
Ben took the shotgun snap. He didn't see what he liked so he rolled to the left. He motioned Santonio Holmes over as he rolled to the right. He fired a strike right to Holmes for an apparent TD.
However, the referee said the football never broke the plane. If you look closely at the replay, you will see the ball crossing the goaline and Holmes with both feet down.
Coach Tomlin decided to challenge the play and it was reversed. The Steelers won 13-9 and were AFC North Champions.
Once again, Big Ben put the team on his shoulders when they were down, called a masterful drive, and threw the game-winning TD score.
Remember, this game was against the Ravens, against the number two defense in the league, in their own stadium.
However, I thought of a drive even better than this one.

No. 3 Week 15 2009: The Drive
The picture you're looking at describes the ending of the greatest drive ever by Big Ben.
This drive kept the Steelers playoff hopes alive and snapped their five-game losing streak.
This was a back-and-forth game. Neither defense could get stops. Then, with 3:21 left in the game, Tomlin elected to go for an onside kick.
It worked, but Ike Taylor touched the ball too early and the Packers had the ball on the Steelers 39 yard line.
They proceeded to score a touchdown with 2:06 left. Opponents should never leave Big Ben with that much time because he can make them pay.
And that's exactly what he proceeded to do.
The drive had its scary moments. The first came on 4th-and-15.
Big Ben completed a pass to Holmes that went to midfield. Then, on 3rd-and-15, but Big Ben pulled through again hitting tight end Heath Miller for a 27 yard gain.
Then the ball was intercepted and I thought it was over, but the Packers were flagged for illegal contact. Ben then hit Miller again at the 23 yard line. The Steelers took their last time out.
Then with 0:03 left in the game, season on the line, Super Bowl crown on the line, Big Ben hits Mike Wallace in the endzone for a 23 yard score that tied the game.
The Steelers kick the extra point and win 37-36.
Big Ben finished the day with 503 yards passing, 3 TD and no interceptions.
If I had to use an example to describe how clutch Ben is, I'd use this drive with no hesitation.

No. 2 AFC Divisional Round 2005: The Tackle
This was a bittersweet and scary moment for me.
My heart was beating so fast it took me at least ten minutes to get it under control.
I'm sure everyone remembers this play. With this play, the Colts hopes for the Super Bowl were dashed.
For those who don't know or remember, I'll explain.
It all started on Indianapolis' goal line.
The Steelers were getting ready to put the game away for good. Ben handed the ball off to Jerome Bettis. He ran toward the line. Then, out of nowhere, someone popped the ball out of his hands. It was recovered by a Colts linebacker. He ran back the other way. Big Ben was the last person with a chance to stop him. He cut back inside and made a shoe-string tackle that saved the touchdown.
If it wasn't for Ben, the Steelers would never had made it to Super Bowl XL. His tackle kept their hopes alive until the Colts missed the field goal that would have sent the game into overtime.
Thank you, Big Ben.

No. 1 Superbowl XLIII The Catch

Arguably the greatest catch in Super Bowl history.

I have no doubt that this is number one.

This was the game winner of Super Bowl XLIII. Big Ben took the Steelers 88 yards downfield and capped it off with this throw through three defenders.

With this throw and catch, the Steelers became the first team in NFL history to win six Super Bowls.

Big Ben captured his second Super Bowl title as well.

Prok
06-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Those are all awesome memories.

I once got into an argument for comparing Ben's late game heroics to one John Elway. Then someone else posted something that Ben has as much or MORE late game come-back drives than Elways had at this point in his respective career.

I still say we gout OUR version of Elway. Only he's all OURS.
:behindsofa:

steelpride12
06-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Ben is just at his best when the game is at it's biggest moments. When it's time for him to shine he always come through and I know in his career there will need to be a top 10+ clutch moments for him. Whether it's two superbowl's or a drive 96 yards with 2 minutes remaining he has proved he can come through!

Steelman
06-04-2010, 12:42 PM
All Ben has done on the field is deliver in the clutch. I think people tend to forget how many time he's seemingly almost singlehandedly pulls a win out of his arse. It's not always "pretty" as Tomlin once said, but a W is pretty good lookin' to me. :chuckle: Here's hoping to seeing many more of them! :cheers:

wootawnee
06-04-2010, 06:14 PM
The drive against the Jaguars in 08 was the best of his career besides the superbowl......I think it was better, if the circumstances were the same..........He had guys hanging off of him pulling him to the ground and he delivered a perfect strike to Hines running full tilt across the middle........Then he couldn't get up, cause he had a separated shoulder, and had to roll over to his other one.........That was an epic drive......We finnaly beat the Jags and I would say it was the toughest game of our season that we had to win.........

Also that 40 yard rush TD he had in 08.....That was epic also...........

SteelerSal
06-04-2010, 06:19 PM
There is not another QB in the league that I would rather have when down with 2 minutes or less left in the game. Also there always seems to be a positive rythm when asked to run the no huddle during any part of the game...which I personally would love to see more of.

Prok
06-04-2010, 06:26 PM
There is not another QB in the league that I would rather have when down with 2 minutes or less left in the game. Also there always seems to be a positive rythm when asked to run the no huddle during any part of the game...which I personally would love to see more of.

AMEN !! Ya never heard any of the 90's Bills whining about getting tired (at least I never heard em) in the no-huddle. Ben runs that like he was born to run it IMO.

stillers4me
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
I need one of these to to read that.........
http://www.cbc.ca/22minutes/assets_c/2010/01/defibrillator-with-ecg-display--4-thumb-250x200-17711.jpg

SteelerSal
06-04-2010, 06:30 PM
AMEN !! Ya never heard any of the 90's Bills whining about getting tired (at least I never heard em) in the no-huddle. Ben runs that like he was born to run it IMO.

Not that I'm telling you anything that you don't already know, but with the struggles in the run game would have been greatly improved if we would of rushed more out of the no huddle also.

The Duke
06-04-2010, 10:01 PM
This is all proof that we would have an 8-8 team at most without Ben

Keep bringing the wins big guy

Psycho Ward 86
06-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I think at #5 a better fit would be Ben's drive in Week 4 against the Ravens of '08

solardave
06-05-2010, 10:26 AM

You're right and I'll take him over anyone with 2 or 60 minutes left.

Pi Kapp Steeler
06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
The afc championship game against the colts it was a DB not a linebacker who got the fumble... Which made the tackle more impressive because he was giving up a lot of speed to the defender...

btw that was one of the scariest moments of my life as well

tyler289
06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I tend to put his winning drive at Baltimore in 2008 where he hit Holmes at the goal line ahead of his Green Bay drive, but all are great moments.