PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Ward entering picture as one of the best ever

stillers4me
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
Last updated

Saturday, November 6, 2010 - 2:45pm

When you start ticking off the list of the great wide receivers in NFL history, you start with Jerry Rice. Lance Alworth, Raymond Berry and Paul Warfield aren't too far behind on my list. Others may have Fred Biletnikoff, Charley Taylor, Don Maynard and Michael Irvin near the top of their lists.

But where does the name of Hines Ward start turning up on those lists? Caution . . . do not discount the Pittsburgh Steelers wideout so quickly.

When Ward catches his first pass on Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, it will extend his streak of consecutive games with a reception to 186. That's third best in NFL history. He currently shares the third rung with Terrell Owens at 185..........

read more: http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/11/06/steelers-ward-entering-picture-one-best-ever

Galax Steeler
11-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Congrats to Ward hopefully he still has a few years left in the tank and can move up the list.

SMR
11-07-2010, 08:12 AM
Mark my words: Hines will end his career as one of the ELITE receivers. His name will be in there. Hall of fame? No doubt.

cheezheadsteeler
11-07-2010, 08:46 AM
With 18 more catches #86 moves into the top ten all time reception leaders. Hines and Marvin Harrison would be the only 2 in the top ten to play for just one team. Add the superbowl MVP, and we are talking about hall of fame material.

Carolina Steelers
11-07-2010, 10:30 AM
I think 2 more solid yrs and 1 more Super Bowl no doubt he would be in the Hall. But it will still be tought alot of WR's still not in Hall that should be plus alot of WR's still playing that have more stats. Cris Carter should have went in last yr IMO

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2010, 11:58 AM
T.O, Randy Moss, Don Hutston, Torry Holt, Issac Bruce????

Steeltreal
11-07-2010, 02:49 PM
T.O, Randy Moss, Don Hutston, Torry Holt, Issac Bruce????

I hated watching Holt and Bruce. The way the make a catch and dive to the ground, look for the sideline and even slide at times. They probably have a combined Y.A.C (contact not catch) stat of -1 yard.

SMR
11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I think 2 more solid yrs and 1 more Super Bowl no doubt he would be in the Hall. But it will still be tought alot of WR's still not in Hall that should be plus alot of WR's still playing that have more stats. Cris Carter should have went in last yr IMO

Honestly, I doubt Hines would need another Super Bowl to get into the Hall. No need.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I hated watching Holt and Bruce. The way the make a catch and dive to the ground, look for the sideline and even slide at times. They probably have a combined Y.A.C (contact not catch) stat of -1 yard.

So in other words, they aren't as tough, but clearly better. Hines can play lights out for the rest of his career and we'd all still have to go to church every Sunday and hope for a miracle to get him into the H.O.F. You have to understand that the public doesn't revere the style of Ward nearly as much as we do. And that's what could prove to be the difference between him getting into the HOF and not getting in. Of course, there have been far worse in the HOF :chuckle:

fansince'76
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Hines will get in. He's just going to have to wait a long time, like Stallworth did.

steelerdude15
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
No doubt, he's one of the best, but people are going to fight and claw us Steelers fans saying he isn't one of the best.

SMR
11-07-2010, 04:50 PM
No doubt, he's one of the best, but people are going to fight and claw us Steelers fans saying he isn't one of the best.

And the funny thing is that Stallworth and Swann made it into the HOF and Ward has better stats than those two. It should not be a problem with him getting in as well. I would like to think that common sense would prevail, but people can be so jaded or stupid nowadays! :doh:

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2010, 09:27 PM
And the funny thing is that Stallworth and Swann made it into the HOF and Ward has better stats than those two. It should not be a problem with him getting in as well. I would like to think that common sense would prevail, but people can be so jaded or stupid nowadays! :doh:

A lot has changed in the last 3 decades

Butch
11-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Since when do other fans opinions matter??? The last time I looked the press decides and I really think that his being in 2 Superbowls and counting and MVP in one puts him head and shoulders above some of those others mentioned such as chris carter, randy moss and t.o..

Hines has many more years left in the tank and when all is said and done I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't make it into the Hall. His hits are as legendary as some of his catches.

Psycho Ward 86
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Since when do other fans opinions matter??? The last time I looked the press decides and I really think that his being in 2 Superbowls and counting and MVP in one puts him head and shoulders above some of those others mentioned such as chris carter, randy moss and t.o..

Hines has many more years left in the tank and when all is said and done I will be extremely surprised if he doesn't make it into the Hall. His hits are as legendary as some of his catches.

Superbowls are team efforts. I think mostly just us Steeler fans are able to appreciate a hard-knock scrapper like Hines Ward playing a position that is never really played that way by anybody else. Let's be honest, Carter, T.O, and Moss have been more productive as long if not longer than Ward. I really think Ward deserves to get in practically because of how differently he played the game.

Butch
11-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Superbowls are team efforts. I think mostly just us Steeler fans are able to appreciate a hard-knock scrapper like Hines Ward playing a position that is never really played that way by anybody else. Let's be honest, Carter, T.O, and Moss have been more productive as long if not longer than Ward. I really think Ward deserves to get in practically because of how differently he played the game.

Even though Superbowls are team efforts those who shine in them make the hall of fame. As for being honest t.o. and moss have destroyed teams not by their play on the field but their locker room shenanigans. I know you are a Steeler fan and appreciate the way Hines plays, but don't sell him short just yet. I gotta Believe he will be in there...and possibly 1st ballot. The longer he plays the better his chances.

SirHulka
11-08-2010, 07:42 AM
It's all about reputation, and not so much about stats. If the writers like you, you can get in. Example:
Lynn Swann 336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TD's Championship MVP - In the HOF
Gary Collins 331 catches, 5299 yards, 70 TD's Championship MVP, and in 10 years as a punter, 336 punts, 41 yard ave.
Not in HOF.

tube517
11-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Swann got in because of his Super Bowl performances.

Hines is in an era where there are too many WR's with gaudy stats. He will get in but it will probably take time.

It's all about reputation, and not so much about stats. If the writers like you, you can get in. Example:
Lynn Swann 336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TD's Championship MVP - In the HOF
Gary Collins 331 catches, 5299 yards, 70 TD's Championship MVP, and in 10 years as a punter, 336 punts, 41 yard ave.
Not in HOF.

tyler289
11-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Hines is going to suffer from playing in an era where passing the ball exploded and WRs put up big numbers all the time.

But he will benefit from voters knowing he played on a team that ran the ball a hell of a lot more than most teams for most of his career.

If he can play another 3-4 years (even if the last few aren't as anything more than a #3), he will have the numbers + SBMVP/2 rings to get in, I think. He's no lock, because his name doesn't come up when you think "elite" WRs.

SteelerSal
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Hines is going to suffer from playing in an era where passing the ball exploded and WRs put up big numbers all the time.

But he will benefit from voters knowing he played on a team that ran the ball a hell of a lot more than most teams for most of his career.

If he can play another 3-4 years (even if the last few aren't as anything more than a #3), he will have the numbers + SBMVP/2 rings to get in, I think. He's no lock, because his name doesn't come up when you think "elite" WRs.

Good post...I have to disagree with the part in bold..I think that the voters know enough about Ward's all around play on the field and he wont have a problem getting in, might just not be the first go around. IMO

steeldevil
11-08-2010, 09:45 AM
I seriously doubt he gets in on the first ballot... Like maybe a 3% chance... But I am confident he will get in. It just might take about 5 or 6 years.