View Full Version : On the Steelers: Pouncey drawing comparisons to Dawson

LLT
11-07-2010, 04:16 AM
On the Steelers: Pouncey drawing comparisons to Dawson
Sunday, November 07, 2010
By Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/20100911steelers_330.jpg

The video from New Orleans of that first-down play inches from the Saints' goal line had to be difficult for the Steelers to watch again, unless they focused on its beginning.

Maurkice Pouncey centered the football to Ben Roethlisberger, fired out and flattened the man across from him, put him on his back. Had everyone done the same, Isaac Redman would have scored a touchdown instead of getting spilled in the backfield.

It has become typical of the play of the Steelers' rookie center. The great, long tradition at center for the Steelers, interrupted briefly, seems to be back in good hands with Pouncey, who looks like a young Dermontti Dawson.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10311/1101139-66.stm#ixzz14af1Xs7u

XxKnightxX
11-07-2010, 06:32 AM
Pouncey is flat out amazing. Never have I seen such a true lineman who snaps the ball, and just goes after his man with no relent. He blasts the man in front of him or if hes uncovered he goes after that backside or frontside backer and just blasts him and takes him out of the play. Hes one of the good links in our offense. Now if we can just get another good Guard and Tackler well be set.

SirHulka
11-07-2010, 06:34 AM
He look good. SO FAR. I'd give him more than 7 games before we start making comparisons, or putting him in the HOF.

zulater
11-07-2010, 08:38 AM
On the Steelers: Pouncey drawing comparisons to Dawson
Sunday, November 07, 2010
By Ed Bouchette
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201009/20100911steelers_330.jpg

The video from New Orleans of that first-down play inches from the Saints' goal line had to be difficult for the Steelers to watch again, unless they focused on its beginning.

Maurkice Pouncey centered the football to Ben Roethlisberger, fired out and flattened the man across from him, put him on his back. Had everyone done the same, Isaac Redman would have scored a touchdown instead of getting spilled in the backfield.

It has become typical of the play of the Steelers' rookie center. The great, long tradition at center for the Steelers, interrupted briefly, seems to be back in good hands with Pouncey, who looks like a young Dermontti Dawson.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10311/1101139-66.stm#ixzz14af1Xs7u

This only makes me lament more on the fact that we didn't attempt a qb sneak on either of the plays where the ball was originally spotted at the 1 foot line. :doh:

SMR
11-07-2010, 08:39 AM
If Pouncey remains consistent AND persistent. We're set for life with him.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I'll admit that I didn't want a center in the first round with our weak corners but Pouncey has been way better than I thought possible, especially as a rookie. He'll be the rock of our OL for many years to come.

Galax Steeler
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
You start hearing more and more good things about Pouncey. This kid is a football player if I am correct I have not seen him give a sack up all year. Hopefully he will get better with more playing time. I think we have found us a center for a long time to come.

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 10:10 AM
he plays until the whistle blows. sure he has made mistakes and still has some to learn, but he is farther ahead of schedule than predicted.

the O-line still needs to be an area of concern in the 2011 draft. the steelers' O-line needs some talent waiting in the wings.

tube517
11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Cut him, he's overrated. A bust! :sarcasm2:

GBMelBlount
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
he plays until the whistle blows. sure he has made mistakes and still has some to learn, but he is farther ahead of schedule than predicted.

the O-line still needs to be an area of concern in the 2011 draft. the steelers' O-line needs some talent waiting in the wings.

I think he looks great for a rookie.

Also agree that we need another stud O-lineman early in the next draft and with colon hopefully back it may "catapult" us to mediocrity next year!

Craic
11-07-2010, 11:54 AM
[Pouncey] received a phone call from Dawson not long after the Steelers drafted Pouncey in the first round in April.
"I welcomed him to Steelers Nation," Dawson said. "I told him if he has any questions or anything feel free to call me."
They've kept in touch. Pouncey congratulated Dawson on another Hall of Fame nomination last year.
"For him to call me out of the blue like that . . . he's a good dude. Hopefully, I'll be able to meet up with him one day and hang out with him."

This is the stuff I like to read. It shows a respect not only for people in general, but for the tradition and past of the Steelers.

On Pouncey himself... He plays like a man with no talent-- by that I mean, have you ever seen people make it much further in sports than they ever should have, simply because they are all heart and determination? That's Pouncey. THEN, we recognize the fact that he DOES have talent, and seemingly VERY good skills. That's a combination that is hard to match.

tube517
11-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I really like the way this kid plays. He's off to a great start.

This is the stuff I like to read. It shows a respect not only for people in general, but for the tradition and past of the Steelers.

On Pouncey himself... He plays like a man with no talent-- by that I mean, have you ever seen people make it much further in sports than they ever should have, simply because they are all heart and determination? That's Pouncey. THEN, we recognize the fact that he DOES have talent, and seemingly VERY good skills. That's a combination that is hard to match.

SMR
11-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Very nice way of putting it.

Lambert_Loonie
11-08-2010, 01:36 AM
He's a guy the Steelers can build an offensive line around. I see him having a lengthy stay (barring injury).

I think his brother Mike is a Guard or Tackle at Florida. If he's anything like Maurkice, then Pittsburgh should nab him up as quick as they can in the draft.