PDA

View Full Version : How will Monday night PLAY CALLING go down ?

Moose
11-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Just curious about BA's idea this time around. The bungholes beat us twice last year, I know we didn't lose by much either time, but we did lose. So, how is it going to be different this time around ? The bungholes have the game plan books in their hands that took us down twice, they know the plays to call. I'm sure they watched the N.O. game and saw how they stopped us. Now, do you think BA and, heaven forbid Tomlin, put their heads together to come up with new strategy ? Or is this game going to be another humiliating 60 minutes of watching our CB's being toasted by T.O., Chad, Shipley, etc..? I hope the Black and Gold isn't taking this game lightly and thinking of next weeks NE game. What say u ?

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I couldn't imagine any reason why we'd take a Monday Night game against a divisional rival coming off a loss lightly.

Moose
11-06-2010, 11:13 PM
Exactly Chidi29-- but don't forget it's the same scenario for the bungholes, with the addition of this game being a 'do or die' season situation.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Exactly Chidi29-- but don't forget it's the same scenario for the bungholes, with the addition of this game being a 'do or die' season situation.

Definitely agree. Neither side is taking the game lightly, as they should (or shouldn't).

Devilsdancefloor
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
last year we shot ourselves in the foot when we played the bungles miss tackles dropped td's and ST nightmare. With that being said they are not the same team we faced 2 times last year they are very dysfunctional at the moment. I i seriously doubt either team is taking the other lightly at the moment. it will be interesting to see how we attack them on O & D.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 12:34 AM
The Bengals would be stupid not to bring the house on defense until The Steelers offense can beat the blitz. Let's hope they got it figured out.

BuddhaBus
11-07-2010, 12:40 AM
The Bengals would be stupid not to bring the house on defense until The Steelers offense can beat the blitz. Let's hope they got it figured out.

Blitz schmitz! Can't we just repeatedly run slow developing deep patterns with our WRs and chuck the ball down field? :noidea: :sarcasm2:

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 12:53 AM
Blitz schmitz! Can't we just repeatedly run slow developing deep patterns with our WRs and chuck the ball down field? :noidea: :sarcasm2:

Too bad we don't have a speedy receiver who can get open deep. Oh, wait ...

Although if we can't stop the blitz, Wallace has about 1.5 seconds to get downfield. :doh2:

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 02:18 AM
the play calling will be used to set up 3rd and long.

if the bengals are smart they will blitz heavily all night. arians has yet to figure it out.

SirHulka
11-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Well, with your recent history, you better hope it isn't close in the 4th quarter. I won't use the "C" word, but lately you've had trouble - uh, let's say maintaining your focus late in the game.

solardave
11-07-2010, 03:21 AM
Arians thinks a Blitze is the same as a QB sneak. Same blocking.:nervous:

We need to establish the run. Let them blitze and stack 8 in the box. Then we mix in some play action. Miller should be a key in this game as far as passing with at least one long ball to Wallace,Brown or Sanders. I'd like to see Wallace run some short routes and rack up some RAC yards.

All this being said and it's just my opinion for what it's worth BA will probably call the same game he did against the Saints.

HometownGal
11-07-2010, 05:06 AM
Well, with your recent history, you better hope it isn't close in the 4th quarter. I won't use the "C" word, but lately you've had trouble - uh, let's say maintaining your focus late in the game.

Can't say I disagree with you here, Hulka. I'm more worried about the D holding onto a lead in the 4Q than I am about the offensive production against the Bungles.

SirHulka
11-07-2010, 05:12 AM
That seems to be the pattern lately in all your losses. A close game in the 4th, then a turn-over, then a total loss on concentration on both D and O. I know everyone in here thinks Tomlin is a great coach, but when a team loses focus and discipline in the 4th quarter on a fairly regular basis, the blame is not on the players, but the coach. JMHO.

vasteeler
11-07-2010, 06:26 AM
That seems to be the pattern lately in all your losses. A close game in the 4th, then a turn-over, then a total loss on concentration on both D and O. I know everyone in here thinks Tomlin is a great coach, but when a team loses focus and discipline in the 4th quarter on a fairly regular basis, the blame is not on the players, but the coach. JMHO.

i agree but hearing it from a browns fan :puke:

SirHulka
11-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Sometimes you have to look at things from the outside to see the truth. Many fans (of all teams) see their guys through rose-colored glasses.

Count Steeler
11-07-2010, 07:09 AM
Beware the fake reverse at the most inopportune time.

Count Steeler
11-07-2010, 07:11 AM
And the prevent D, when we get a lead, especially in the fourth.

SteelerFanInStl
11-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Can't say I disagree with you here, Hulka. I'm more worried about the D holding onto a lead in the 4Q than I am about the offensive production against the Bungles.

Coming off of a game where we only scored 10 points against the Saints, I'm worried about offensive production too.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I know everyone in here thinks Tomlin is a great coach, but when a team loses focus and discipline in the 4th quarter on a fairly regular basis, the blame is not on the players, but the coach. JMHO.

Sometimes you have to look at things from the outside to see the truth. Many fans (of all teams) see their guys through rose-colored glasses.

And BINGO was his name-o!!

I don't have time to look it up right now, but look at Cowher's winning percentage when leading entering the fourth quarter compared to Tomlin's. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm willing to bet it's considerably higher.

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 10:19 AM

I don't have time to look it up right now, but look at Cowher's winning percentage when leading entering the fourth quarter compared to Tomlin's. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm willing to bet it's considerably higher.

wasn't it like 76-1 with a lead in the 4th? or am i thinking of another stat?

on another site it states cowher's winning % with the lead going into the 2nd half is 114-11-1. i don't think capers or lebeau played such passive defenses back then. that one tie is from the falcons' game where the steelers started playing the passive defense we have been watching this year and last year. letting teams pass on you with ease is not a good recipe.

tube517
11-07-2010, 10:31 AM
ONce Cowher got a 10 point lead, it was pretty much automatic. The problem is, (before Ben) he couldn't get a 10 point lead in the playoffs.

tube517
11-07-2010, 10:32 AM
That was his record when he got a 10 point lead.

That tie was when Maddox was the QB and the defense was horrible. Chad Scott and D. Washington at CB. Nightmare.

on another site it states cowher's winning % with the lead going into the 2nd half is 114-11-1. i don't think capers or lebeau played such passive defenses back then. that one tie is from the falcons' game where the steelers started playing the passive defense we have been watching this year and last year. letting teams pass on you with ease is not a good recipe.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 10:32 AM

That's sounds about right. I heard the record before, but don't remember what it was. But it was incredible. I like Tomlin, and I can't think of another coach in the NFL I'd rather have, but they have to learn how to finish teams off. And that falls on coaching.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 10:34 AM

Yeah, you're right. I remember that now.

fansince'76
11-07-2010, 10:47 AM
ONce Cowher got a 10 point lead, it was pretty much automatic. The problem is, (before Ben) he couldn't get a 10 point lead in the playoffs.

Exactly.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 10:51 AM
The problem is, (before Ben) he couldn't get a 10 point lead in the playoffs.

It was kinda hard when the Patriots were in the huddle with them. :chuckle:

Edman
11-07-2010, 11:27 AM
If I were the Bengals and any future Steelers opponent...

On O, chuck the ball downfield. Why bother running when the Steelers Pass D is a sieve?

On D, blitz heavily and press the recievers. Arians' slow-developing passing routes and Ben doesn't have the intelligence to answer it.

We get it. The Defense sucks in the 4th quarter, now it's time for the Offense to be held accountable. In fact, both sides of the ball contribute greatly to losses.

Chidi29
11-07-2010, 11:57 AM

We ran routes underneath and had receivers get their head around. Ben just didn't execute.

Steeltreal
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have a internet radio feed for the game? I cant stand the espn crew.

HometownGal
11-07-2010, 03:08 PM
Coming off of a game where we only scored 10 points against the Saints, I'm worried about offensive production too.

You mean against the reigning Super Bowl Champs?

oneforthetoe
11-07-2010, 03:34 PM

Cowher = 1 Superbowl victory 1 Superbowl loss
Tomlin = 1 Superbowl victory 0 Superbowl losses

Cowher AFC Championship Games = 2 - 4 33%
Tomlin AFC Championship Games 1 - 1 50%

So, this proves that Mike Tomlin is a better big game coach?:noidea:

No, it just proves that you can make statistics show anything you want, particularly if you ignore other factors (i.e. the presence of Ben, age of the defense, skill of the offensive line ect.). 62% of all Americans (and 41% of all Canadians) know that. ;)

oneforthetoe
11-07-2010, 03:44 PM
For the record, I still think Cowher is a Hall of Fame caliber coach. I have a feeling some of you getting nostalgic for Cowhers's coaching style were the same ones yelling at your TV screens that he should be fired in the late nineties because he could not "win the big one."

Just as an example about stats, I wonder what Cowher's record was compared to Tomlin's when trailing going into the fourth quarter? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin's record was better. Does this say something about the two coaches? Or, is it about Tomlin having Ben his entire career?

There are lies, damn lies and then statistics.

tube517
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
When did Tomlin lose an AFC Championship game?

No, it just proves that you can make statistics show anything you want, particularly if you only look at one aspect of your issue (i.e. winning percentage after leading by ten points). 62% of all Americans (and 41% of all Canadians) know that. ;)

fansince'76
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
For the record I still think Cowher is a Hall of Fame caliber coach, but I have a feeling some of you getting nostalgic for Cowhers's coaching style were the same one yelling at your TV screens that he should be fired in the late nineties because he could not win 'the big one."

Just as an example about stats, I wonder what Cowher's record was compared to Tomlin's when trailing going into the fourth quarter? I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tomlin's record was better. Does this say something about the two coaches? Or, is it about Tomlin having Ben his entire career?

There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Yes, how quickly people forget the pretty much constant acrimony over "Cowherball" and how he was a "poor man's Marty Schottenheimer."

tube517
11-07-2010, 03:54 PM
I think you need to pay Roger to listen online for the local affiliates (Bill, Tunch, Wolf)

Westwood One does the national radio broadcast for Sunday night/Monday night games but that is Boomer Esiason and he is horrible.

Does anyone have a internet radio feed for the game? I cant stand the espn crew.

oneforthetoe
11-07-2010, 04:00 PM
When did Tomlin lose an AFC Championship game?

Opps sorry, for some reason I had the Patroits' game loss rolling in my head. I guess the nightmare of the game still clouds my memory. Yes, Tomlin is 1 and 0 in AFC Championship games. Still, doesn't contradict the point I was trying to make, however.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 04:32 PM

No, it just proves that you can make statistics show anything you want, particularly if you ignore other factors (i.e. the presence of Ben, age of the defense, skill of the offensive line ect.). 62% of all Americans (and 41% of all Canadians) know that. ;)

I agree that you can't trust statistics. So let's look at the facts. Barry Switzer won a Super Bowl with Jimmy Johnson's Cowboy's team, much like how Tomlin won with Cowher's team. So would you say that Switzer was a great coach because he won a Super Bowl?

I never bought into the argument that winning a championship determines how good you are. If that were the case, then Trent Dilfer was a better quarterback than Dan Marino.

There are a LOT of factors that play into whether or not you win championships.

I like Tomlin a lot, and I think he can be a great coach. But I'm not going to put him in Cowher's league just yet.

Wallace108
11-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Does this say something about the two coaches? Or, is it about Tomlin having Ben his entire career?

There are lies, damn lies and then statistics.

Tomlin has had a top-5 QB since he's been here. Cowher had Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, and a young, inexperienced Ben Roethlisberger. :noidea: Take a look at Cowher's record with those quarterbacks.

Texasteel
11-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Tomlin has had a top-5 QB since he's been here. Cowher had Neil O'Donnell, Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, Kent Graham, Tommy Maddox, and a young, inexperienced Ben Roethlisberger. :noidea: Take a look at Cowher's record with those quarterbacks.

Neil O'Donnell was not that bad of a QB, Stewart had a couple of good years before he totally disappeared, Maddox was playing like an ALL PRO his first year, and Bubby was not an awful QB. Cowher did have some pretty good QB play. I think we have a very good coach right now, but I'm not going to compare him with Cowher for a few more years.

Wallace108
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Neil O'Donnell was not that bad of a QB, Stewart had a couple of good years before he totally disappeared, Maddox was playing like an ALL PRO his first year, and Bubby was not an awful QB. Cowher did have some pretty good QB play. I think we have a very good coach right now, but I'm not going to compare him with Cowher for a few more years.

I'm not even going to compare any of those quarterbacks to Ben. For most of his tenure, Cowher had mediocre-at-best QBs. But they won a lot of games because the coaching staff made the right calls and got the most out of what they had at the position.

I don't want to come across as a Tomlin hater, because I'm certainly NOT. He's a good, young coach and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. But he has some things to work on before I begin comparing him to Cowher.

Texasteel
11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
I'm not even going to compare any of those quarterbacks to Ben. For most of his tenure, Cowher had mediocre-at-best QBs. But they won a lot of games because the coaching staff made the right calls and got the most out of what they had at the position.

I don't want to come across as a Tomlin hater, because I'm certainly NOT. He's a good, young coach and I wouldn't trade him for anyone. But he has some things to work on before I begin comparing him to Cowher.

I wouldn't compare them to Ben either, but thats not saying that Cowher never got good QB play. Remember, Cowher won a SB with Ben, and still had a pretty bad year the following year. I love Cowher, and think he is one of the all time greats, but we seem to forget that he had a couple of short comings also, and I can remember wondering " What the hell " on more than a few of his plays. As I said, your right about Tomlin having a lot to prove before he can be compared to Cowher, and to be truthful may never compare.

Wallace108
11-08-2010, 07:41 AM
I wouldn't compare them to Ben either, but thats not saying that Cowher never got good QB play. Remember, Cowher won a SB with Ben, and still had a pretty bad year the following year. I love Cowher, and think he is one of the all time greats, but we seem to forget that he had a couple of short comings also, and I can remember wondering " What the hell " on more than a few of his plays. As I said, your right about Tomlin having a lot to prove before he can be compared to Cowher, and to be truthful may never compare.

Yeah, Cowher pretty much mailed it in his final season. And I don't think he walked on water ... he had his faults as well.

Texasteel
11-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Yeah, Cowher pretty much mailed it in his final season. And I don't think he walked on water ... he had his faults as well.

He did give us some great years though didn't he bud. If we ever did have a ring of honor. his name should be one of the first up there.

Wallace108
11-08-2010, 07:53 AM
He did give us some great years though didn't he bud. If we ever did have a ring of honor. his name should be one of the first up there.

Absolutely!! :drink:

steel striker
11-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I hope we can score in the red zone beacuse, we have been really bad in that area.

SteelGhost
11-08-2010, 03:46 PM
I hope we can score in the red zone beacuse, we have been really bad in that area.

Very true, the red zone play calling must improve asap. Look at the Dolphins, they could have won the Rats game if they had scored a couple of TD's instead of FG's.

And of course Mr. Lebeau must re-think that "prevent defense" in the 4th.

Steeldude
11-08-2010, 11:45 PM

That tie was when Maddox was the QB and the defense was horrible. Chad Scott and D. Washington at CB. Nightmare.

the defense was killing the falcons until they called them off in the 3rd quarter.

oneforthetoe
11-09-2010, 12:33 AM

I think that is part of my point, fans were blaming Cowher for not winning big games, when it seems pretty clear now that if he would have had a franchise QB it probably would have made the difference. Jump back to the issue at hand now, which is Tomlin's record with a 10 point lead. It isn't any fairer to say that the leads the Steelers have given up in the last two years are a reflection of Tomlins poor coaching, than it was to call Cowher a poor big game coach. In both cases there are other factors. Cowher's teams generally had better offensive lines, as well as, usually, younger defenses.

And can we stop with this Tomlin won with Cowher's players. First, Cowher made his mark with a few Chuck Noll players. Specifically, I am speaking of Rod Woodson and Greg Lloyd. Moreover, the year before Tomlin takes over, Cowher's team is pretty pathetic with Cowher's players.

Finally, the Barry Switzer analogy doesn't fly with me. As mentioned, Tomlin took over a team that missed the playoffs the year before. And while we were only two years removed from a Superbowl victory, the Steelers were not far and away the best team in football in 2005 (Cowher even admitted as much). We got hot at the right time, and credit to the team, found ways to win games when we had to. Now compare that to Switzer. He took over a team that was a mini-dynasty who only had one real rival for the Superbowl in the Niners. Hardly the same thing.

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 12:54 AM
....Now compare that to Switzer. He took over a team that was a mini-dynasty who only had one real rival for the Superbowl in the Niners. Hardly the same thing.

And that still damn near lost SB XXX to a Neil O'Donnell-led Steelers team. We win that game with a better QB, bottom line.

Wallace108
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
And can we stop with this Tomlin won with Cowher's players. First, Cowher made his mark with a few Chuck Noll players. Specifically, I am speaking of Rod Woodson and Greg Lloyd.
I wouldn't say Cowher made his mark with a few Chuck Noll players. He did a pretty fine job after both Woodson and Lloyd were gone.

Moreover, the year before Tomlin takes over, Cowher's team is pretty pathetic with Cowher's players.
Let's be honest, Cowher mailed it in during his final season. And if memory serves me correctly, Tomlin's team did the exact same thing after winning a Super Bowl.

Finally, the Barry Switzer analogy doesn't fly with me. As mentioned, Tomlin took over a team that missed the playoffs the year before. And while we were only two years removed from a Superbowl victory, the Steelers were not far and away the best team in football in 2005 (Cowher even admitted as much). We got hot at the right time, and credit to the team, found ways to win games when we had to. Now compare that to Switzer. He took over a team that was a mini-dynasty who only had one real rival for the Superbowl in the Niners. Hardly the same thing.

Things can change, but as of right now, I think the analogy CAN turn out to be true. Not that it will, but it can.

You say Switzer took over a dynasty, while Tomlin took over a "pretty pathetic" team (those are your words). You make it sound like Tomlin took over the Bills or Rams. He took over a Steelers team that was two years removed from the Super Bowl and had been one of the league's best for more than a decade.