PDA

View Full Version : Steelers finally miss Holmes

Galax Steeler
11-06-2010, 04:41 AM
PITTSBURGH - A look. A nod. A hand signal.

They are examples of the non-verbal communication quarterbacks use with wide receivers to let tell them to run a hot route, where the quarterback gets rid of the football quickly to a receiver who has broken off his regular route in an attempt to beat a blitz.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/11-05-2010-Steelers-missed-holmes

zulater
11-06-2010, 06:26 AM
I think it's more a case of the after effects of Ben's league mandated discipline. It's not just the four games he missed, but it's also the way they had to prepare the teams other qb's to be ready for the start of the season, taking valuable reps away from Ben going all the way back to mini camp. You're incorporating two rookies and a couple different veteran receivers into mthe mix you need to get everyone on the same page. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

Santonio punched his own ticket out of town, he also missed the first four games himself this year due to his own shenanigans and hasn't looked all that sharp since he's returned. In the short term I really don't think there would have been that great a difference if we had kept him. Long term, time will tell? But the Steelers did the right thing regardless.

ALLD
11-06-2010, 07:48 AM
If he could control himself off the field, he would still be on the field in black & gold.

SteelerSal
11-06-2010, 08:54 AM
Well lets just hope this is an area that Ben and his other recievers not named Santonio worked on extensively this week. He even has an extra day before our game. :)

LLT
11-06-2010, 09:19 AM
I'm still of the mindset that Sanders and Brown have showed so much ability...that its time to regulate ARE to a backup role. Battle is too valuable on ST's to bench...but ARE's role is simply "veteran influence". Let Ward and Wallace take that role (I'm sure they already have and ARE's role is minimal) and let the more talented rookies take the field.

SteelerSal
11-06-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm still of the mindset that Sanders and Brown have showed so much ability...that its time to regulate ARE to a backup role. Battle is too valuable on ST's to bench...but ARE's role is simply "veteran influence". Let Ward and Wallace take that role (I'm sure they already have and ARE's role is minimal) and let the more talented rookies take the field.

I agree with you on everything you wrote..

fansince'76
11-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Santonio punched his own ticket out of town, he also missed the first four games himself this year due to his own shenanigans and hasn't looked all that sharp since he's returned. In the short term I really don't think there would have been that great a difference if we had kept him. Long term, time will tell? But the Steelers did the right thing regardless.

Agreed, and he's gone for a year the next time he's nailed for weed. And he WILL get nailed for it again, I'm almost certain of it.

steelers7810
11-06-2010, 09:39 AM
They should have been using non-verbal communication in the first place due to the excessive crowd noise in the dome, it was very loud. They looked more ill prepared for that.

Craic
11-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I think it's more a case of the after effects of Ben's league mandated discipline. It's not just the four games he missed, but it's also the way they had to prepare the teams other qb's to be ready for the start of the season, taking valuable reps away from Ben going all the way back to mini camp. You're incorporating two rookies and a couple different veteran receivers into mthe mix you need to get everyone on the same page. We're not there yet, but we're getting there.

Zu... We haven't agreed on much lately, but I have to agree with every last thing you wrote here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Agreed, and he's gone for a year the next time he's nailed for weed. And he WILL get nailed for it again, I'm almost certain of it.

Yeah...bongtonio is gonna get busted again, or would have gone in free agency. No big deal that he is gone.

WR is the most overrated position in the NFL if you have a good QB. Peyton Manning makes every WR that he playes with look good, Ben should be able to make productive WR's out of Brown, Sanders, etc.

Merchant
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Haven't really noticed he's gone tbh.

solardave
11-06-2010, 04:46 PM
If he could control himself off the field, he would still be on the field in black & gold.

Well put. He is an example of a waste of talent. If he would have grown up instead of grow weed he would be a special Steeler receiver.

solardave
11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I agree with you on everything you wrote..

Me too! Let the young bucks run with it so to speak.

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 02:40 AM
wasn't holmes playing when the giants and eagles blitzed the steelers to death? i think wallace will get better with the all-around game a WR should possess. i think sanders will be better with it than wallace.

shouldn't the OC and WR coach be teaching these WRs about blitzes, hot routes etc...?

XxKnightxX
11-07-2010, 06:35 AM
wasn't holmes playing when the giants and eagles blitzed the steelers to death? i think wallace will get better with the all-around game a WR should possess. i think sanders will be better with it than wallace.

shouldn't the OC and WR coach be teaching these WRs about blitzes, hot routes etc...?

Holmes didnt play against the Giants, Remember? thats when he got pulled over and caught with weed, and yeah OC and Wr's should be adjusting to hot routes and coaching their players to do so but its also on the QB and receiver timing plus how stubborn your OC is.

Galax Steeler
11-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Like someone else said hopefully the worked on the hot routes this week. I can't stand another game like that.