PDA

View Full Version : And the opening act in CONSOL Energy Center is...

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 08:23 AM
Paul McCartney!

Pittsburgh, PA -- Paul McCartney, arguably the most successful performer and composer in popular music, will open CONSOL Energy Center on Wednesday August 18, 2010 with a Grand Opening Concert, bringing his Up and Coming 2010 Tour to Pittsburgh. Keeping with his headline-making special concerts, the tour will feature the iconic star and his band returning to Pittsburgh for the first time in more than 20 years. McCartney performed back-to-back, sold-out concerts in the Pittsburgh Civic Arena in February, 1990. Sir Paul made his Pittsburgh debut with The Beatles on September 14, 1964 at the Civic Arena.

The Grand Opening Concert is being promoted by CONSOL Energy Center, and supported by AEG Live by arrangement with Marshall Arts and MPL.

Tickets go on sale Monday, June 14, 10:00 a.m. and will be available at the Mellon Arena Box Office, ticketmaster.com, all Ticketmaster outlets or charge by phone at 800-745-3000. Advance tickets are available to American Express Cardmembers beginning Wednesday, June 9 at 10AM through Sunday, June 13 at 10PM.

“We are excited to have an icon like Paul McCartney return to Pittsburgh for the first time in more than 20 years to open CONSOL Energy Center – a world-class performer in a world-class facility,” said Ken Sawyer, CEO of the Pittsburgh Penguins, who will operate the arena. “It’s a signal to the city and the region that this more than just a hockey arena or a sports arena. It is a first-class entertainment center.”

McCartney’s live shows have reached a new level of status in recent years, garnering unprecedented reviews from fans and critics alike. He’s pushed boundaries, performed to millions and made global news with monumental shows including performances in Moscow’s Red Square, outside of the Coliseum in Rome, the largest outdoor show ever in the Ukraine, his first performance in Tel Aviv and a live performance into a NASA space station. Last year’s Summer ’09 Tour began in earnest with an already legendary inaugural run of shows at New York’s CitiField Stadium, the site of the former Shea Stadium where The Beatles played the 1965 concert that set the precedent for the modern-day stadium rock show.

The Up and Coming 2010 Tour, which kicked off in late March, are McCartney’s first U.S. shows since his five-week ‘Summer Live ‘09′ tour, which was prefaced by a triumphant sold-out headline set at the 2009 Coachella festival and a surprise performance for CBS’ Late Show with David Letterman on the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater (inside which The Beatles made TV history decades ago) that drew throngs packing Broadway from Columbus Circle to Times Square.

Garnering rave reviews the new McCartney show features a typically diverse set list, drawing on 2 plus hours’ worth of selections spanning the catalogues of The Beatles, Wings and Paul’s solo career, including tracks from The Fireman’s 2008 album, Electric Arguments, and potentially some songs never-before-played-on-U.S.-soil added to the set list.

For more information, go to www.paulmccartney.com (http://www.paulmccartney.com/) or www.consolenergycenter.com (http://www.consolenergycenter.com/). http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530865&navid=DL|PIT|home (http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=530865&navid=DL%7CPIT%7Chome)

SteelMember
06-04-2010, 10:25 AM
I think this kinda goes hand in hand with the article...

Poll Question

Is Paul McCartney the best choice to open Consol Energy Center?

Category: Music
Voting began on 6/3/2010
Voting ends on 6/10/2010

A.Definitely, he's a rock legend.
B.Yes, but with a local opening act.
C.No way, it should have been a rising star.
D.Doesn't matter; the new arena is the star.

http://www.post-gazette.com/polls/default.asp?pollID=3665

I think Paul McCartney was a pretty solid choice, imo.

It could have been someone like Lady Ga Ga. Sorry, not a fan.

Only problem is tickets will probably be about $120.

steelerdude15
06-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I think that's a pretty good choice. That's really cool to open up the arena with a legend like him.

BPS3akaWirels3
06-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Not my taste... I'd rather see Mudvayne or Sevendust.. lol Thats just my choice

SteelMember
06-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Not my taste... I'd rather see Mudvayne or Sevendust.. lol Thats just my choice

Sevendust is an excellent band... from the A...T... L... :rockon:

You listen to any Mastadon? also from Atlanta.

BPS3akaWirels3
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Sevendust is an excellent band... from the A...T... L... :rockon:

You listen to any Mastadon? also from Atlanta.

No.. But I miss the break off band of Sevendust..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T7LTagJs0c

psusteelerspens4life
06-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Mastadon is good i've seen them twice, how about SLAYER, one of my fav metal bands and they play parts of their songs during the Pens game's anyhow, come to think during the games they play a lot of metal music.

steelpride12
06-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I have much respect for any of those bands named above, but it's just good the opening act is going to be a legend and im sure he will kick off the Consol Energy Arena with a bang!

The WH
06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
New CEC Pics.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/gallerylanding.htm?id=15973&navid=DL|PIT|home

I'm sure this is preliminary but the seats look very far away from the ice, like there is an isle way along the boards. Looks like a Euro-League arena like they have here in Sweden.

I'm glad it's Paul opening, he's a good act, great musician, not over rated, not overplayed, and if it would have ben Styx or Bon Jovi I would have puked.

SCSTILLER
10-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Anybody been to the Consop Energy Center? Coming home on November and going to see the Pens play the Bruins. My seats are in the upper levels and wanted to know if I an going to have a good view of the action. All the official websites say I will, but personal experiences always let you know best.

X-Terminator
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM
Anybody been to the Consop Energy Center? Coming home on November and going to see the Pens play the Bruins. My seats are in the upper levels and wanted to know if I an going to have a good view of the action. All the official websites say I will, but personal experiences always let you know best.

You will definitely have a good view of the action. HTG and I have season tickets in the upper level (234) and the view is excellent.

steelpride12
10-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Yes I have been there and also sat in the upper section and believe me when I say there is not a bad seat in the house! No limited view and no annoying balconies blocking your view 100% clear and great!

SCSTILLER
10-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Thanks for the input. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the new arena and watching the Pens play in person, it has been over six years since I have seen a game in person.