PDA

View Full Version : Is a QB sneak the same as a handoff to the RB?

Steeldude
11-05-2010, 08:44 AM
arians was asked why he didn’t call a quarterback sneak on first down.

“Same play,” Arians said. “Same exact blocking scheme, (with a) big 240-pound guy hitting it straight ahead. Exact same block. Same thing as a quarterback sneak.”

it's the same thing? :doh: since when are they the same? also, didn't essex pull on that play? does this pretty much mean a reverse to the right is the same as the RB taking the handoff and going right? :wink02:

what's done is done, but i was really hoping for a QB sneak.

stlrtruck
11-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I would have to disagree with Arians on that one.

A QB sneak does not require him to step back 2-3 steps to hand the ball off, it only requires him to lunge forward and have the RB push him over the goal line. But that's my unprofessional coaching view of a call like that.

steeldevil
11-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Not at all the same thing

Merchant
11-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Fire him!!

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2010, 05:02 PM
It's obviously not the same thing or why would they ever call a quarterback sneak? Why risk your QB's health if running it with a back is the exact same thing?

:huh:

cold-hard-steel
11-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Maybe on the rushing stats it may be.

Count Steeler
11-05-2010, 05:12 PM
No wonder our running game sucks. Same blocking scheme for a quarterback sneak as a handoff to the RB? Who you fooling? If it is, then no wonder we can't gain a yard in those tight situations. Come on Tomlin, set this guy straight.

Galax Steeler
11-06-2010, 04:22 AM
arians was asked why he didn’t call a quarterback sneak on first down.

“Same play,” Arians said. “Same exact blocking scheme, (with a) big 240-pound guy hitting it straight ahead. Exact same block. Same thing as a quarterback sneak.”

it's the same thing? :doh: since when are they the same? also, didn't essex pull on that play? does this pretty much mean a reverse to the right is the same as the RB taking the handoff and going right? :wink02:

what's done is done, but i was really hoping for a QB sneak.

Nice post Steeldude I am wanting to see this to. I posted in another thread why have we not run the quarterback sneak behind Pouncey more then none this play will work. I don't see why we don't run it.

Psycho Ward 86
11-06-2010, 03:08 PM
I don't really understand the question being proposed...

and why would you ever do a QB sneak on 1st down...

solardave
11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
QUOTE=stlrtruck;84088]I would have to disagree with Arians on that one.

A QB sneak does not require him to step back 2-3 steps to hand the ball off, it only requires him to lunge forward and have the RB push him over the goal line. But that's my unprofessional coaching view of a call like that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but whoever said Arians is a professional?:nod:

solardave
11-06-2010, 04:52 PM

1rst and GOAL. Hell yeah you do it. Especially with a capable center lead blocking for you.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Well yeah, the blocking scheme would be the same. Your push versus mine. Whoever gets a better one wins.

Even if you wanted to sneak it, we had three chances to score with Mendenhall from a yard out or closer. It is unaccpetable that we weren't able to get into the end zone with the unit we had.

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 02:30 AM

the reason you don't understand it is because you are trolling. the question cannot be simplified any further.

it's a QB sneak 6 inches from the goal line. why do you think they sometimes call a QB sneak on 4th and inches? if your objective is 6 inches away it is a good play to run. being 6 inches away does not make the down relevant. if you think it is relevant then explain why.

Steeldude
11-07-2010, 02:34 AM
Well yeah, the blocking scheme would be the same. Your push versus mine. Whoever gets a better one wins.

Even if you wanted to sneak it, we had three chances to score with Mendenhall from a yard out or closer. It is unaccpetable that we weren't able to get into the end zone with the unit we had.

chidi, whenever you have some spare time could you see if essex pulled on that first play at the goal line?

you are right. it is unacceptable the steelers cold not punch it in. i still believe the talent on the O-line is not very good. pouncey looks to be a good pick, but the rest seem slightly above average to below average.

Chidi29
11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
chidi, whenever you have some spare time could you see if essex pulled on that first play at the goal line?

you are right. it is unacceptable the steelers cold not punch it in. i still believe the talent on the O-line is not very good. pouncey looks to be a good pick, but the rest seem slightly above average to below average.

I haven't taken a look yet, but I think Essex pulled on one play.

I think the question was a QB sneak versus a straight up dive play. In that case, the scheme is the same.

7willBheaven
11-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I would have to disagree with Arians on that one.

A QB sneak does not require him to step back 2-3 steps to hand the ball off, it only requires him to lunge forward and have the RB push him over the goal line. But that's my unprofessional coaching view of a call like that.

Exactly...it may be the same setup or blocking or whatever...but the QB steps back instead of going forward, that is the big difference right there.

Chidi29
11-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Exactly...it may be the same setup or blocking or whatever...but the QB steps back instead of going forward, that is the big difference right there.

Arians realizes this. The fact that there's a handoff is a given.

He's saying that everything else is the same.