PDA

View Full Version : Running game has been going nowhere quickly

stillers4me
11-04-2010, 06:26 PM
F. Dale Lolley

This article has been read 463 times.

NEW ORLEANS - In the weeks leading up to Ben Roethlisberger's return from his four-game suspension, all we heard from the Steelers was how the quarterback's return would open things up for the running game.
At that point, the rushing attack - namely Rashard Mendenhall - had been the only consistent part of Pittsburgh's offense.

But since Roethlisberger's return three weeks ago, the running game has taken a nose dive.

In the four games without Roethlisberger, Mendenhall had 411 yards rushing on 89 carries, an average of 4.6 yards per carry.

In the three games since Roethlisberger returned, Mendenhall has seen his numbers and production fall off considerably.........

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/lolleystory/11-01-2010-Steelers-Saints-column

Steeldude
11-05-2010, 02:32 AM
In the four games without Roethlisberger, Mendenhall had 411 yards rushing on 89 carries, an average of 4.6 yards per carry

seems to me it must be the play calling. why else would the running game go downhill with a better passer in? does BR telegraph the handoffs or when it's a run?

Galax Steeler
11-05-2010, 03:35 AM
When we had the ball inside the one yard line I have to wonder why we didn't run a quarterback sneak behind Pouncey. It would have been a give me. Pouncey is always getting a push up front I am yet to see this play.

HometownGal
11-05-2010, 06:46 AM
It's a very simple concept, really.

While Ben was suspended, the Steelers basically HAD to play it safe while Dixon and Batch were under center and there were a shitload more run plays called. Chances of one of them screwing up a handoff were slim. With Ben back under center, the O can open up a lot more and the Steelers O is not solely dependent upon the running game any longer. Personally, I think the run/pass ratio has been pretty decent but as Max Starks said in another article posted in a different thread -

"The last two weeks it hasn't been up to our standards that we set for ourselves earlier in the year,'' tackle Max Starks said. "But I think we're in the right place with our ground game. It's just about being more effective with it and capitalize on our opportunities when we do get a running call."

The dreaded "E" word again. Execution.

steelers7810
11-06-2010, 10:09 AM
It's a very simple concept, really.

While Ben was suspended, the Steelers basically HAD to play it safe while Dixon and Batch were under center and there were a shitload more run plays called. Chances of one of them screwing up a handoff were slim. With Ben back under center, the O can open up a lot more and the Steelers O is not solely dependent upon the running game any longer. Personally, I think the run/pass ratio has been pretty decent but as Max Starks said in another article posted in a different thread -

"The last two weeks it hasn't been up to our standards that we set for ourselves earlier in the year,'' tackle Max Starks said. "But I think we're in the right place with our ground game. It's just about being more effective with it and capitalize on our opportunities when we do get a running call."

The dreaded "E" word again. Execution.

They didn't "capitalize" on there opportunities in last weeks game with 1st & goal from the 6 inch line. Three run plays and lose yardage on two of the plays. Not good.