PDA

View Full Version : Harrison Tagged Another $20K for Brees Hit

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 12:32 PM
And of course, no fine levied against Leigh Torrence for his helmet-to-helmet on Hines. What complete bullshit.:mad2:

The NFL fined Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison $20,000 for an illegal hit on New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees last Sunday.Read more: Harrison Tagged Another $20K for Brees Hit (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfl-fines-pittsburgh-steelers-lb-james-harrison-20000-for-another-illegal-hit/1)

GOODELL NEEDS TO GO. NOW.

polamalubeast
11-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I'm not surprised:ranger:

stlrtruck
11-04-2010, 12:48 PM
The Steelers are going to be the only team fined, well maybe for the exception of the ravens, for any aggressive hits because our defenses are pointed out by the media hypes as the most aggressive in the league. Therefore, we must be hitting illegally.

While I agree the hit was late and deserved a flag, it was not worthy of a $20,000 fine.

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 12:54 PM
While I agree the hit was late and deserved a flag, it was not worthy of a $20,000 fine.

What pisses me off was not the flag or even the fine so much as the helmet-to-helmet hit by Leigh Torrence on Hines in the end zone which wasn't fined. Torrence couldn't help it, but according to Goodell in his meeting with Harrison, that doesn't matter:

Q: How tough is it considering you have played a certain way for so many years?

A: “I guess you have to adapt, but it's not really that much of a change. The only thing that I have a real issue with is trying to adjust to an adjustment that an offensive player has already made. That's what I have an issue with, there being consequences and repercussions for something that (the defensive player) can no longer control. If a guy ducks his head at the last minute, right as you're about to hit him, you can't really adjust to that.”

Q: How did Goodell react when you expressed this to him?

A: “The response was that I'm a defensive player, and I'm responsible for whatever happens when I make contact with an offensive player. So, hopefully, we now have a better understanding.”Since this is the case, where in the hell is the fine for the helmet-to-helmet on Hines? I'm sick and tired of the half-assed arbitrary "discipline" that this clown metes out. :mad2:

SteelMember
11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Well, Hines was flagged for a weak Pass Interference penalty on that play. So that must negate what the defensive player was responsible for. :rolleyes:

venom
11-04-2010, 01:05 PM
This sucks . Almost 100k in fines in 2 weeks. WTF ??????? Whats he going to do now , think before he hits someone ???

Butch
11-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Damn at work and lunch is over will have to post more on this after work.

Suffice it for now just to say... Go To Hell Roger Godell!!! You freakin' moron!!!

psusteelerspens4life
11-04-2010, 02:03 PM
This sucks . Almost 100k in fines in 2 weeks. WTF ??????? Whats he going to do now , think before he hits someone ???

I hope not, but if I kept losing money because I am playing the game the way I have always been taught I probably would think twice before I laid a lickin on someone. And if its the case that I am responsible for what happens because I am the defensive player then make a rule the offensive player cannot lower their head whatsoever they have to run straight up. I hope we don't start seeing more arm tackles which leads to broken tackles .

steelpride12
11-04-2010, 02:07 PM
Awful and just plain pathetic. It's funny how only the Steelers seem to have the bulls eye right now and I swear Harrison is going to back off now and just not play his style of football which will take a tole against the entire defense.

ALLD
11-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Very bad call that will have an advese effect on Harrison and the league. You cannot trust the NFL to make the right decisions anymore.

Pristas
11-04-2010, 02:21 PM
I think the issue is bigger than Goodell, Harrison and the Steelers. I think that fundamentals of football have evolved in a detrimental way to the players. Too often I see players using their helmets to spear, this is especially true with Running backs and linebackers. I think the real issue at hand is whether or not we want our kids to play this game in the same fashion. If there is a conscious decision to change the way tackling is accomplished in the NFL (moving back to a more traditional "wrap up style") I'm for it. I have two boys who will be eligible to begin playing in pee wee leagues soon. It frightens me as a father to think that they could become a paraplegic or worse through the course of their playing days by imitating the "greatest" in the game now.

A lot of people act like this is just part of the game and that's the way it always was. It wasn't. The "helmet as a weapon" has evolved into something quite detrimental to the sport. I think that Goodell and company have taken the wrong approach to this, by creating policy mid-season. Rather, this should be handled during the inevitable lock out looming. But, creating policy is something I personally support. I believe there is a conscious decision being made to change the game, not to take the fun out of it, but to make it endure. And to make it safer for kids. And I don't think we will be without those big hits, they will happen whether they create rules or not.

Now, to address the fines... I think these are ridiculous. You can't expect defenses to change at the drop of a hat. This is something that needs to take time to develop over the course of an off-season. And the rules need to be clearly delineated as to what is legal, and what is not. And most important, lets not fine people who can't help but make a certain type of contact. In Harrison's case, the two shots he levied on the Browns were legit. There were no rules to say otherwise. The shot on Brees was a linebacker trying desperately to get his lick on a QB. The truth is, he saw him release the ball, and took his shot anyway. Hence the flag, and the fine. Nobody would have complained a bit if it weren't for the knee jerk reactions from the week 7 fines.

The truth of the matter is this... Harrison is by far the biggest, meanest mo-fo playing the game right now, and as such, he will be the poster boy for the new rules. He should take it as an honor that the league and everyone else thinks this much of him. It's kind of like the instance with Ward where they had to create rules from his style of play. I guess the Steelers are single handedly changing the league, because they play at the top of it.

Just my two cents. Go Steelers.

Ps. I'm new to the board, so hello all.

salamander
11-04-2010, 02:37 PM
To NFL Commisioner Roger Goodell, I say this: You are terrible at what you do and you are turning the NFL into the National Flag Football League. I understand you want to protect players, but don't single out an individual player or team. When you have players coming out saying that you suck at your job, then you must really suck at it, Mr. Goodell. Football is violent sport... always has been. If you don't like that then go become the Commisioner of a soccer league somewhere.

steel striker
11-04-2010, 02:43 PM
This is complete BS and, the worthless Goodell continues on leading the once proud NFL into how much can we cost the steelers. My god just give them flag belts.

HometownGal
11-04-2010, 02:50 PM
FUCK YOU GOODELL. :upyours: You are destroying the NFL and taking out great football players in your destructive path, you rancid turd.

I'm too angry right now to post anything else. :mad2: :mad: :mad2:

steelerdude15
11-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Unbelievable, that's all I have to say, unbelievable. I hope James fights this, it's time for the players to stand up against the NFL front office and what it's become.

Animal Mother
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Bullshit plain and simple. Harrison must be really fired up now, he's getting fined for hitting people and he is constantly getting held every play.

memphissteelergirl
11-04-2010, 03:37 PM
:mad2::mad2:Goodell is an absolute FAIL as Comissioner!

SteelMember
11-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Just my two cents. Go Steelers.

Ps. I'm new to the board, so hello all.

I understand your points, Pristas, and I think we can all understand that some change is needed. Unfortunately, we can all see that the way this is being handled is completely wrong. As you yourself stated, there needs to be a progression of what changes the league office deems fit. You can't just say "no move of this" without any explanation of boundaries. I think the "spearing" rule that was already in place was understood. The helmet-to-helmet is a lot more ambiguous and subject to more "interpretation" than absolutes. A tackle has moving parts by both parties. A single party can not be held responsible for the other, imo.

And also, welcome to the U. :drink:

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Why is nothing being made of the helmet to chin hit on Favre? That one actually took a player out of the game. Not that I think these things should be results oriented, but it seems that that's the way Goodell had been looking at it... only fining the "devastating" hits.

SteelMember
11-04-2010, 04:11 PM
And while we're on the subject of the rule book...

Why is it that a RB can still be praised for a great stiff arm, which in most cases contradicts the hands to the face rule, but any other player that goes anywhere near the facemask gets called.

To me, it seems the defense always takes the burden of responsibility on contact penalties.

Arena league... here we come. :thumbdown:

SteelMember
11-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Why is nothing being made of the helmet to chin hit on Favre? That one actually took a player out of the game. Not that I think these things should be results oriented, but it seems that that's the way Goodell had been looking at it... only fining the "devastating" hits.

That one, I actually think the Dman hit him square in the chest, and it was an edge of his shoulder pads that came up and cut his chin.

Just my thought. Probably worth much less than 2 cents now... thanks to the FED.

HollywoodSteel
11-04-2010, 04:25 PM
That one, I actually think the Dman hit him square in the chest, and it was an edge of his shoulder pads that came up and cut his chin.

Just my thought. Probably worth much less than 2 cents now... thanks to the FED.

It looked like his helmet at the time to me, but even if it was his shoulder, you can't hit the quarterback in the head at all. According to Goodell, even if you hit him in the chest first, it is the defender's responsibility not to hit the offensive player in the head afterward even if there was nothing the defender could do to prevent it at that point.

If you're going to enforce a ridiculous rule, at least have the decency to enforce it uniformly.

JayC
11-04-2010, 04:25 PM
goodell should be commish of the MLS

stlrtruck
11-04-2010, 04:37 PM
goodell should be commish of the MLS

No sir, he'd find a way to start fining players there too. No more goal celebrations, announcers can't make the word goal a 10 syllable word, no more using the head when another player is near you (you might hit his head you know).

SMR
11-04-2010, 04:42 PM
http://i51.tinypic.com/2e4vo0i.jpg

Reserved for Goodell.

Texasteel
11-04-2010, 04:58 PM
And while we're on the subject of the rule book...

Why is it that a RB can still be praised for a great stiff arm, which in most cases contradicts the hands to the face rule, but any other player that goes anywhere near the facemask gets called.

To me, it seems the defense always takes the burden of responsibility on contact penalties.

Arena league... here we come. :thumbdown:

I've wondered about this for a long time. I've seen RB actually grab the face mask and pull the man down, not a thing called.

As far as GODell is concerned, I don't think I could say anything you haven't already heard me say. I could handle the fact the he is stupid, but stupid, partial, and hating the game of football is more than I can take. I hope his wife gives him a case of the :clap2:

ALLD
11-04-2010, 05:37 PM
I wish Palmer would throw a short slant to Goodell on Monday night. The Steelers are in the crosshairs. The guy hit Favre on the chin with the crown of his helmet, incidental or not. And I don't even like Favre.

Hopefully Harrison gets a $1million endorsement to offset the fines.

X-Terminator
11-04-2010, 05:45 PM
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/357/357094/folders/273650/2183619BS-meter2.gif

How much longer is this fucking guy going to be allowed to ruin the league? And how many more people in the lapdog media are going to make excuses for him? I'm tired of hearing them. The guy needs to go, plain and simple. He's the worst commissioner in sports.

SteelerFanInStl
11-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Fuck you Goodell!!! :upyours: It's ridiculous for James to get fined for that play. Yes, it was late and he got a penalty for it. That's as far as it should have gone.

I hope that all of the assholes at the NFL office reviewed that play a million times so that they could see the FLAGRANT HOLDING that happened on that play before James hit Brees.

I'm getting very close to being completely done with the NFL.

Count Steeler
11-04-2010, 05:53 PM
PURE AND UTTER BULLSHIT $20,000.00. Just cause he hit pretty boy? Is Manning 50,000 and Brady 40,000. Roethlisberger must be free.

The Steelers defense should refuse to go on the field this Monday night and make a statement to Mr Goodell. YOU want a league with no defense, well let's just see how long the viewers watch.

ABSOLUTE LUNACY!!!!!:flipoff:

Merchant
11-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Wowww... I can only imagine what kind of fine Harrison's going to get if he hits Brady in two weeks.

steelpride12
11-04-2010, 09:09 PM
But of course Goodell only wants to protect his players by these fines...oh yeah dumbass then why would you want an 18 game season where extra injury is bound to happen. Fucking prick.

X-Terminator
11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Wowww... I can only imagine what kind of fine Harrison's going to get if he hits Brady in two weeks.

He'll get a lifetime ban.

Merchant
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
He'll get a lifetime ban.

Wouldn't be surprised lol.

salamander
11-04-2010, 10:07 PM
That is a good point about Brady. I say he gets suspended if Harrison even breathes on Brady.

kmsteelerwr15
11-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Fuck Off Good-FAIL!!!!! That is all...for now

salamander
11-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Fuck Off Good-FAIL!!!!! That is all...for now

Yes - there will be more to come from Der Kommish, I can almost guarantee it. :doh2:

Borski
11-05-2010, 12:47 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_t7Mw5eCiWC8/TNOaCfeMPoI/AAAAAAAAA4M/0iedYO9grvo/Harrison-Goodell.jpg

Watch out Goodell

HollywoodSteel
11-05-2010, 01:01 AM

It would have been awesome if during their meeting JH just whipped out his checkbook and wrote Roger a check for $100,000 saying, "put this on my account for Brady."

Moose
11-05-2010, 01:31 AM
This is getting to be a bunch of crap ! Every Sunday the same BS, and it's always centering on our guys. Troy definitely is on target saying that ole' Roger has way too much say in these calls. I agree with Troy that there should be a panel to judge fines ( IF needed ). There should be officials, owners, coaches and players ( present and past ) on the panel. One man ( who never felt the momentum of a game ) should not be judging anything. Pure crap and is slowly taking down the game. Pretty soon the offense will be running up and down the field at will, new records will be set by running backs and receivers.

smokin3000gt
11-05-2010, 01:37 AM
But of course Goodell only wants to protect his players by these fines...oh yeah dumbass then why would you want an 18 game season where extra injury is bound to happen. Fucking prick.

So teams can play overseas without screwing the owners out of revenue.

smokin3000gt
11-05-2010, 01:38 AM
This is getting to be a bunch of crap ! Every Sunday the same BS, and it's always centering on our guys. Troy definitely is on target saying that ole' Roger has way too much say in these calls. I agree with Troy that there should be a panel to judge fines ( IF needed ). There should be officials, owners, coaches and players ( present and past ) on the panel. One man ( who never felt the momentum of a game ) should not be judging anything. Pure crap and is slowly taking down the game. Pretty soon the offense will be running up and down the field at will, new records will be set by running backs and receivers.

A football panel is a great idea.

Wallace108
11-05-2010, 01:41 AM

That's NOT how a dictatorship works. http://smiliesftw.com/x/slap_1.gif

solardave
11-05-2010, 02:03 AM
:doh:
And of course, no fine levied against Leigh Torrence for his helmet-to-helmet on Hines. What complete bullshit.:mad2:

Read more: Harrison Tagged Another $20K for Brees Hit (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfl-fines-pittsburgh-steelers-lb-james-harrison-20000-for-another-illegal-hit/1)

GOODELL NEEDS TO GO. NOW.

And just think. When we play the Patriot anyone who trash talks will be fined for hurting Marcia's feelings!!!!:sarcasm2:

solardave
11-05-2010, 02:10 AM
What pisses me off was not the flag or even the fine so much as the helmet-to-helmet hit by Leigh Torrence on Hines in the end zone which wasn't fined. Torrence couldn't help it, but according to Goodell in his meeting with Harrison, that doesn't matter:

Since this is the case, where in the hell is the fine for the helmet-to-helmet on Hines? I'm sick and tired of the half-assed arbitrary "discipline" that this clown metes out. :mad2:

Harrison is responsible for the actions of the guy he is about to hit. What does he do say "HEY ASSHOLE LOOK AT ME WHEN I HIT YOU!!!" Goodell on the other hand is the Czar and has no one to answer to. Just like Troy said and we all have been saying for awhile. THIS IDIOT HAS WAY TOO MUCH POWER!!! Where is Lee Harvey Oswald when you really need him?

solardave
11-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Well, Hines was flagged for a weak Pass Interference penalty on that play. So that must negate what the defensive player was responsible for. :rolleyes:

Yeah, makes sense in Goodell's world. Hines is a tough guy, he can take it. Bullshit!!! If Goodell even remotely appeared to be doing these fines in a fair manner I might be inclined to believe it is for the good of the league. Sorry, not buying it. And for the record I'm not really sorry. The bad part about it is if you watch Ray Lewis he hits just like Harrison and no fines so far this year.

Galax Steeler
11-05-2010, 03:41 AM
What total bull shit Goodell is a complete ass.

SirHulka
11-05-2010, 04:54 AM
The bad part about it is if you watch Ray Lewis he hits just like Harrison and no fines so far this year.

Yeah, well Rayray knows a couple of guys that will 'take care of' Goodell if he fines him.

If you know what I mean.

HometownGal
11-05-2010, 06:10 AM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_t7Mw5eCiWC8/TNOaCfeMPoI/AAAAAAAAA4M/0iedYO9grvo/Harrison-Goodell.jpg

Watch out Goodell

:lol: :rofl: :lol:

Great stuff!

Merchant
11-05-2010, 01:45 PM
The guy who hit Favre under the chin only got fined 7,500..

I'm steamed. :mad2:

Chidi29
11-05-2010, 02:50 PM

This is Pryor's first fine. Harrison's first fine was 5K. You get fined more often, you'll get fined more money.

Chidi29
11-05-2010, 02:51 PM

Already exists in multiple forms.

smokin3000gt
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM

WTF?!?!!

His helmet made contact with Brett's shoulder and slid into his chin! I can understand being strict about intentional shit but it's almost a joke the way they are coming down on incidental contact!

smokin3000gt
11-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Already exists in multiple forms.

That may be but roger is still fucking everything up.

Chidi29
11-05-2010, 04:43 PM
That may be but roger is still fucking everything up.

And he can be overruled with the commission place.

It's happened this year.

Craic
11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
This is Pryor's first fine. Harrison's first fine was 5K. You get fined more often, you'll get fined more money.

I understand what you are saying... and you are right. Its the same thing I argued with Ben's suspension vs. others. However, there should have NEVER been a fine for that hit last weekend. I mean, if he was LEADING with the helmet, spearing the guy, or came through like a missile helmet first, I understand it. But when you hit, and your head, from MOMENTUM hits the other guys head... this is absolute idiocy.

(I know you aren't saying otherwise... just had to get that off my chest).

ALLD
11-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I don;t think Goodell ever played football other than Madden 05'.

fansince'76
11-05-2010, 06:35 PM

Not true! He played in high school!

http://allprintcustomtees.com/uploaded_images/graphicdesign/powderpuff.jpg

:lol:

HometownGal
11-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Rumor has it he dabbles in Fantasy Football. I Googled Roger Goodell and this is the first image that popped up.

Dig those glasses Rog!

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nerd.jpg

Chidi29
11-05-2010, 08:41 PM
So Goodell was a ladies man in his younger days....

salamander
11-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Rumor has it he dabbles in Fantasy Football. I Googled Roger Goodell and this is the first image that popped up.

Dig those glasses Rog!

http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nerd.jpg

Shit... you found my high school picture. Guess I was a little behind the times with the PC. :doh2: :rofl:

Craic
11-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Gotta wonder though... is that a pencil or a cigarette in your hand? A cig. would simply complete the look!

salamander
11-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Gotta wonder though... is that a pencil or a cigarette in your hand? A cig. would simply complete the look!

In that case, it was a cig. :lol:

I would just like to point out that I do not nor have I ever smoked. :D

Texasteel
11-06-2010, 07:00 AM
So Goodell was a ladies man in his younger days....

No I think he was a lady.