PDA

View Full Version : Week 8 Thoughts

Chidi29
11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the meat of the schedule. So far, not so good. It does seem like we weren't prepared enough coming into the game which is pretty perplexing. Couldn't put it together in all three phases at any point. Jumping into the notes; there's a lot to cover.

First Half
- Reed's numbers: 4.09 (-2), 3.9 (5 - Pretty poor kick and was returned to the Saints 44), 4.13 (10).

- Sanders and Ward lined up as the two WRs split out. That was on the crackback toss where the rookie put Alex Brown on his butt.

- Madison and Lewis, active for the past couple weeks now, were the starting jammers. Hadn't looked at that position for a couple weeks.

- Nice job by Sylvester to land the big hit AND make a wrap up, for tackle. I've gotten on his case for leading with the vhoulder and not sinking his hips and driving into the ballcarrier. Did it there so kudos to him. Too bad a penalty negated it.

- Bad challenged on the Lance Moore fumble the following play. Not sure what the guys upstairs were seeing.

- Keith Butler said Timmons was the best LB on the team.

- The personal foul on Julius Jones came on a punching motion towards Clark. Wasn't for jawing with Troy.

- We had a heavy rush on punt returns early in the game. Tried to get after Morestead.

- We have to be able to punch it in from the goalline. Even with the handoffs instead of the wanted sneak, with the size of this line running behind Flozell and Legursky as an extra TE and Johnson as a lead blocker, it's unexcusable to get stopped three times in a row.

- I don't know why fans were getting on Randle El's case. He couldn't return anything and was going against a short field for the punting tea. He fielded the ball cleanly and made good judgements to get under the ball. That's fine in my books.

- Ziggy showed a quick spin move on the Ike pick.

- Play after the Ward pass interference. Had the slant to Wallace after the pump, but Will Smith showed good awareness to read Ben and get his hands up, knocking the pass down.

http://i52.tinypic.com/6sw5f5.jpg

Didn't get Ben in the shot, but just imagine him there. The main point is how free Wallace got.

- A smart timeout by Tomlin after the fake field goal formation. He said they knew there was a chance it could be run, but if you're uneasy about anything, take the timeout.

- Looks like McClendon only played on special teams but Tomlin commented on how it was just good to have another capable body in case. Totally can understand that.

- Flozell Adams really struggled with down blocking and keeping guys from getting inside of him in pass protection.

Second Half
- Think Timmons gave Ivory a concussion on his first carry in the second half.

- Sanders did the smart thing by covering the ball up with two hands when he was deliberately trying to be stripped. Just so happened that when he got free and went to move the ball into his right hand, it moved slightly and he got crushed from behind. Ball comes out free and New Orleans probably should've recovered it.

- Flozell got his leg taken out from under him and rolled on again. Guy can't catch a break though he did return to the game and it wasn't a problem.

- Late in the 3rd quarter we had a 50/50 run/pass split (19:19).

- Failed on the screen pass. Could have been a pick six by Harper. Even if Mendenhall catches it, he's got Harper and another defender (Think it was Scott who couldn't get the block) ready to make the tackle. We're not a screen team. Not with slow tacklers and guards aside from Kemoeatu and Pouncey.

- Ike and McFadden are so solid in tackling. Gay is too. New Orleans' screens went for minimal gains all night.

- TD to Colston: Back shoulder throw. Very tough to stop with such an accurate QB like Brees under center.

- Ran a 7-8 yard curl to Ward. Took about 2.5 seconds from snap to release. This will be more important in a later part of the notes.

- 22 double worked again for a TD. Flo, Heath, Ward, and Johnson all with perfect blocks to spring Mendenhall who found the safety Jenkins taking a bad angle. Mendenhall goes outside and takes off down the sideline for six.

- Defense bit on the playfake pretty badly on the TD to Moore, which sealed the game.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2i6f1pl.jpg

- Nice catch by Sanders late in the game. Picked the ball off the ground.

- Timmons was all over the field all game. Now I can see why Butler is calling him the best LB.

- Hood held up well. Especially going against the best guard in the game in Jahari Evans for most of the night.

Sacks
1. 3rd and 11, 8:44 in 1st: Shotgun, back to the left and TE to the right. Two guys get to the inside of Flo. Ben has to see the blitz look pre-snap (you obviously can't miss it), but looks to Ward on a longer 10-15 yard curl instead of Wallace on a slant. ***

2. 3rd and 7, 3:05 left in 2nd: Heavy overload to the left. They run a stunt to the inside, and both Chris and Moore go to pick it up. Leaves two guys to the left of Chris. Max picks up one, but obviously the other guy comes in clean. Piggybacks Ben for the sack. Not sure who is supposed to get the inside stunt in that situation so I'll give half a sack fault to both Chris and Moore.

3. 1st and 10, 2:31 in 4th: Overload right. Four blitzers versus three blockers. Vilma can come in to blitz with Moore staying in to block. Ben had a shot at getting the pass to El, but fails to do so. I put it on him.

Sack Counter (Week)
Ben Roethlisberger: 1.5
Flozell Adams: .5
Chris Kemoeatu: .5
Mewelde Moore: .5

Sack Counter (Year)
Flozell Adams: 2
Chris Kemoeatu: 1.5
Ben Roethlisberger: 1.5
Dennis Dixon: 1
Jonathan Scott: 1
Tony Hills: 1
Max Starks: 1
Heath Miller: .5
Mewelde Moore: .5

Injuries
Don't think there is anything major to note. Like I said, Flozell got his ankle rolled on but returned a little while after.

Redman grabbed his knee after slipping on the play. Looked scary but he came back to the game. Tomlin called it an ankle sprain.

Doucmentation of Formation
Empty: 3
Pony: 5
FB: 14 (A whopping 70% of running plays)

Plays vs the Blitz
What I did this week was look at instances were Ben was under pressure. Not sacks but just pressure. Included are each situation and in some cases, I've attached pictures taken with my phone so you guys can see exactly what I'm seeing.

1. 3rd and 5, 12:26 in 1st: 1 TE, 1 RB. Moore goes out on sorta an angle route (breaks out of the backfield to the outside and then runs a slant). Ben throws it before Moore can get seperation on the LB and turn his head around. Flozell should have pinched against the heavy blitz. He didn't and the end got inside with immediate pressure.

2. 1st and 10, 9:37: 5 man rush. Picked up fine as Randle El runs a post across the field. Out of the empty set.

3. 3rd and 11, 8:44: 1 RB, 1 TE. 7 blitz. Wallace with a slant, Heath on a block and release. LB with very good coverage. Ward running a 10-15 yard curl. Ben ends up getting sacked.

However, you can see Wallace with a quick slant on the play. Ben does not look to him as his first read even against a heavy blitz look. Doesn't look at him at all. He just stares down Ward. We know above it takes 2.5 seconds for Ward to run a 7-8 yard curl. It'll take about 3 to run a 10-15. Ben has to know he doesn't have that kind of time and must hit his hot on the slant. Or at least look that way.

http://i51.tinypic.com/fcr9k7.jpg

Wallace is "spot shadowed" by the glare on my TV screen. That's him on the slant. Ben doesn't look his way. That's on Ben folks.

4. 3rd and 8, 2:10: Empty set, though Heath stays in to block. They blitz six. Blitz comes free up the middle. Essex can't pinch. Redman is on a slant. Pass skips to Ward.

5. 3rd and 4, 11:45 in 2nd: Empty set, everyone goes out. Blitz 5. Picked up and Ben steps up. He hits Randle El who gets back up after trying to throw a rub on a slant to Moore. Pass ruled a TD but overturned on a challenge.

6. 3rd and 7, 3:05 left: Heavy overload fro the left, bring five with a delay backer waiting to see what Heath would do. (stay = blitz/roam, route = coverage). Heath on a release. Good coverage but doesn't appear to be an underneath route.

7. 1st and 10, 1:51: Blitz seven. Mendenhall picks up the DB blitz, left side of the line gets beaten badly. Kemoeatu's helmet comes off. Ben steps up but underthrows Randle El who had his man beat in the end zone. Pass incomplete. The shortest route was about a 10 yard in from Ward. 3 receivers went out.

8. 2nd and 20, 1:28: Blitz six, seven stay in to block. Nothing immediately short though you can see Wallace get his head around while right off the line while running down the seam. Pass short hops to El.

http://i54.tinypic.com/a0l4w6.jpg

You can see Wallace in the bottom right. It's blurry, it's a cell phone picture on a regular TV after all, but he is looking back to Ben.

9. 3rd and 17, 4:59 in 3rd: Blitz eight. Ben his El on the slant who breaks a tackle and almost gets the first down but is tripped up from behind. Three yards shy.

10. 2nd and 8, 6:42 in 4th: Blitz five, including DB. A short curl or in to Heath though Ben has to wait and throw him open. Complete but Heath eventually fumbles.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2w6unet.jpg

Heath is the in the middle left.

11. 1st and 10, 2:31: Keep seven, they blitz seven. Randle El on a slant, everyone else deeper.

http://i52.tinypic.com/smvryd.jpg

Randle El is at the bottom of the screen.

--------------

For your amusement....

On a lighter note, here is the best halloween costume of all time.

http://i51.tinypic.com/t0p10g.jpg

Merchant
11-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Great analysis. These things must take you hours.

Austin87
11-04-2010, 03:01 AM
Yeah, great stuff Chidi.

Galax Steeler
11-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Thanks Chidi.

Chidi29
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Great analysis. These things must take you hours.

About four hours to watch plus the typing up and getting everything put together.

Merchant
11-04-2010, 09:50 PM
About four hours to watch plus the typing up and getting everything put together.

Jesus. I tip my hat to you, sir.

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 09:52 PM
I have to echo the sentiments here, Chidi - you're a better analyst than a lot of the "pros" out there. :drink:

Moose
11-05-2010, 01:40 AM
Awesome work Chidi !! Great reading ! Do you have enough time to drink during the game ?? Apparently your spouse doesn't walk in and out of the room !!

stlrtruck
11-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Thanks Chidi.

Chidi29
11-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Awesome work Chidi !! Great reading ! Do you have enough time to drink during the game ?? Apparently your spouse doesn't walk in and out of the room !!

Ha, no spouse.

No drinking either. That's still illegal for a couple more years.

Count Steeler
11-05-2010, 05:19 PM
You should go work with Arians. He needs your eyes.

Slanted August
11-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Awesome Awesome analysis. I wish a lot of fans across the various Steeler Boards read this kind of insight instead of the usual "So-n-so sucks" with no substance. Its not about only the box score stats where someone would say "Mendy is awesome with that touchdown run" Look a little deeper to what had to happen for that play to execute effectively.
Wish we took adavantage of all the safeties with some sort of max protect, two receiver pattern with Sanders & Wallace who can separate. As someone else said you do a better job then the people who get paid to write the columns.

solardave
11-06-2010, 04:42 AM
Chidi,

You're the man! I always enjoy your stuff.