PDA

View Full Version : Harrison speaks

stillers4me
11-03-2010, 04:52 PM
November 3rd, 2010

Outside linebacker James Harrison talked about his meeting Tuesday with commissioner Roger Goodell on illegal helmet to helmet hits. Here is a transcript of what he said to reporters after practice.

Q: Was the meeting productive?
A: “I guess so. It was just for him to hear my side of things, my understanding of the rules and for them to (help) me understand exactly what the rules are as far as the concerns with helmet-to-helmet contact. So, I spoke my mind. They said what they had to say, and I guess it was a semi-productive meeting. I came away with a better understanding, and I think they got a better understanding of how I see things."

Q: Do you feel like you are a marked man?
A: “I don't know, but at times it might seem like it. But I don't know.”

Q: How tough is it considering you have played a certain way for so many years?
A: “I guess you have to adapt, but it's not really that much of a change. The only thing that I have a real issue with is trying to adjust to an adjustment that an offensive player has already made. That's what I have an issue with, there being consequences and repercussions for something that (the defensive player) can no longer control. If a guy ducks his head at the last minute, right as you're about to hit him, you can't really adjust to that.”

Q: How did Goodell react when you expressed this to him?..........

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/11/03/harrison-speaks/

fansince'76
11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Q: How did Goodell react when you expressed this to him?

A: “The response was that I'm a defensive player, and I'm responsible for whatever happens when I make contact with an offensive player. So, hopefully, we now have a better understanding.”Translation: "I'm going to get tagged for $75K again or suspended when I lead with my shoulder and helmet-to-helmet contact occurs as a result of the offensive player ducking. Either that, or I need to learn how to defy the laws of physics with a quickness"

Addendum: This of course only applies if the offensive player doesn't get up in a "timely manner," and the blubbering manginas in the media who should probably be watching golf instead pitch a giant bitch about it, so the helmet-to-helmet hit on Hines in New Orleans was OK. :coffee:

Wish the owners would sack that assclown already.

SteelMember
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Translation: "I'm going to get tagged for $75K again or suspended when I lead with my shoulder and helmet-to-helmet contact occurs as a result of the offensive player ducking. Either that, or I need to learn how to defy the laws of physics with a quickness"

Suddeness and glide, my friend. Suddeness and glide.

but yes, you're right. He's probably gonna get fined... again. And now he probably has a "league official" dedicated just to watching him. You know, kinda like a paroll officer for the repeat offenders. That should make it easier to collect the checks anyway.

Steeldude
11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
they need to ban offensive players from lowering their helmets. won't that cause injuries/concussions? the offensive player is leading with their helmet. they are using it as a weapon. right? i think every player should be given a back brace that prohibits the ability to bend at the waist.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-04-2010, 12:07 PM
So Harrison got another fine today for $20,000... I HATE THE NFL COMMISH!!