PDA

View Full Version : First Steelers Universe Challenge

LLT
11-03-2010, 04:46 PM
On November 11th, our country has set aside a day for us to recognize our Veterans.

It is a day to remember their sacrifice.

http://cryptome.org/info/ik04/pict17.jpg

A time to remember what they left behind.

http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0509/flagtochildImage15.jpg

A day to recall what our soldiers endure that we might remain a free country.

http://wagingnonviolence.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/iraq_troops03-14-2006b.jpg

Steelers Universe challenges YOU to do one of the following on Veterans day.

Please:

1) Send a letter to a Veteran, of your choice, and thank him/her for their service and sacrifice.

2) Take the time to have your children write a short note of appreciation to a Veteran, to teach them the respect our Vets deserve.

3) Take a Veteran out for a meal (Family members count)

4) Send out a care package to a Veteran with a short note of appreciation.

If you are an active member of this forum and can/will meet this challenge here is what you do.

First respond now and let us know that you are going to meet the challenge....THEN...after Veterans Day (If you wish) come back and tell us what you did.

*********EDIT**********
To those members of this forum who are still in the active service....We ask that you do not participate in this thread but rather send a pm to me so as that we can make a list and honor you.

LLT
11-03-2010, 04:54 PM
I will be the first to pledge...and meet the challenge.

LLT
11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
On November 11th, our country has set aside a day for us to recognize our Veterans.

It is a day to remember their sacrifice.

http://cryptome.org/info/ik04/pict17.jpg

A time to remember what they left behind.

http://www.theodoresworld.net/pics/0509/flagtochildImage15.jpg

A day to recall what our soldiers endure that we might remain a free country.

http://wagingnonviolence.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/iraq_troops03-14-2006b.jpg

Steelers Universe challenges YOU to do one of the following on Veterans day.

Please:

1) Send a letter to a Veteran, of your choice, and thank him/her for their service and sacrifice.

2) Take the time to have your children write a short note of appreciation to a Veteran, to teach them the respect our Vets deserve.

3) Take a Veteran out for a meal (Family members count)

4) Send out a care package to a Veteran with a short note of appreciation.

If you are an active member of this forum and can/will meet this challenge here is what you do.

First respond now and let us know that you are going to meet the challenge....THEN...after Veterans Day (If you wish) come back and tell us what you did.

*********EDIT**********
To those members of this forum who are still in the active service....We ask that you do not participate in this thread but rather send a pm to me so as that we can make a list and honor you.

Bumping this....c'mon folks!! Who is willing to show their appreciation in some way?

SteelerSal
11-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I do and have done all the above on many occasions with family members that have served and fought in either Korea, Vietnam and the current. :drink:

I want to thank all the members hear that have and are currently serving. :salute:

fansince'76
11-09-2010, 07:59 AM
I plan to meet the challenge with a CARE package. :salute:

LLT
11-10-2010, 12:48 PM
To all the Vets on this board....Love ya guys!!!

I will be taking tommorrow off with plans to take a WWII Vet to lunch tomorrow...I hope all our members show their gratitude in some way.

venom
11-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Two words...........Thank You

Devilsdancefloor
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
i WILL take the challenge!

LLT
11-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Im interested in how many in the forum will be spending at least a portion of their time with a Vet tommorrow.

stlrtruck
11-11-2010, 12:43 PM
I purposefully didn't sign up for this because I didn't want to go up to a Vet just because of some challenge. I wanted to say "THANK YOU" without it being forced. However, this afternoon I was in Chick-Fil-A and there sat a man and his wife having lunch and chit-chatting away. He was wearing a hat that said, "I served (and then listed the war)" I didn't pay too much attention to what war it was, just that he served.

So after getting my shake and heading out the door, I pardon my interruption of their conversation, stuck my hand out to shake his, and said, "I'm sorry for interrupting but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service."

Devilsdancefloor
11-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Spent a lovely breakfast with my father & uncles dad served korea & nam and the rest served in nam. it was a great breakfast food was great, but always nice to sit and talk to all of them. Tonight we are taking fruit baskets & other stuff to vets who cant make it to the VFW. God bless all those & their families who paid the ultimate sacrifice so i can sit here talking about football and a lot of nonsense!

stlrtruck
11-11-2010, 09:41 PM
This evening I explained to my daughter about Veterans and then I took her skating at the mall. We made a sign that she carried on the way to the rink that read, "Thank You Veterans We Love You!"

She carried it proudly and was asking if I would point out some veterans. Didn't see any, but there were a few smiles at passers. It was a good start in teaching her about respecting and honoring those who serve in the military.

cold-hard-steel
11-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Like my father,some may be hard to point out. Pop was never proud of the ones he may have shot down on opposite sides. He was not proud of the 2 purple hearts he recieved in ww 2. With oakleaf clusters and all. Good conduct medals,and all he would speak is nothing. He never bragged,he was always reserved. If you ask him a question,then he would answer. He was infantry,and i never realized the questions that i could have ask him about being in Normandy on that day. Now he is gone,but he is still with me in my home town of Gettysburg , he rests in the National cemetary.(annex) I thanked him today.

stlrtruck
11-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Like my father,some may be hard to point out. Pop was never proud of the ones he may have shot down on opposite sides. He was not proud of the 2 purple hearts he recieved in ww 2. With oakleaf clusters and all. Good conduct medals,and all he would speak is nothing. He never bragged,he was always reserved. If you ask him a question,then he would answer. He was infantry,and i never realized the questions that i could have ask him about being in Normandy on that day. Now he is gone,but he is still with me in my home town of Gettysburg , he rests in the National cemetary.(annex) I thanked him today.

He sounds like an outstanding man on all counts. When you talk to your mom next, tell her I said, "THANK YOU" too for the sacrifice she had to make being the wife of a US Soldier!

LLT
11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Had lunch at Applebees with a WWII vet from my church...and our wives. Wonderful day!!! it made me proud to sign the Wall of Honor beside the man.

I sent and recieved e-mails from/to my old squad....and my army buddy from Iowa drove over with his family and we did a little grilling for supper and alot of talking afterwards.

Hindes204
11-14-2010, 12:13 PM
I purposefully didn't sign up for this because I didn't want to go up to a Vet just because of some challenge. I wanted to say "THANK YOU" without it being forced. However, this afternoon I was in Chick-Fil-A and there sat a man and his wife having lunch and chit-chatting away. He was wearing a hat that said, "I served (and then listed the war)" I didn't pay too much attention to what war it was, just that he served.

So after getting my shake and heading out the door, I pardon my interruption of their conversation, stuck my hand out to shake his, and said, "I'm sorry for interrupting but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service."

Gestures like this mean more to us serving than you will ever know...Ive never asked for recognition, its not why I serve, but it is nice to hear a simple thank you every once in a while, it makes me remember why this country is so great, because of caring people such as yourself.

And to LLT, as always, your dedication to vets is unparalleled, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your prior service...and your continued service to all of the vets and active duty personnel out there

43Hitman
11-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I'm really sorry I missed this thread. Life has been incredibly busy lately. I did however spend some time with my father who is a vet and called all my uncles that have served in the Air Force, Marines, and Navy. Thank-you to all the members here that have served.