PDA

View Full Version : PG: Polamalu: Goodell has too much power

stlrtruck
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100342-100.stm[/URL]

James Harrison was not immediately available today to speak about his trip to New York to meet with the NFL commissioner, but Troy Polamalu had a few things to say.
Polamalu, the Steelers' five-time safety, charged that commissioner Roger Goodell has too much power and said paranoia is rampant around the league since the NFL crackdown on certain hits by defenders.

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10307/1100342-100.stm#ixzz14Fdkv05b (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/)

Craic
11-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Hey.. guess we saw it about the same time :chuckle:

SteelerEmpire
11-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Amen. Now if Troy Polamalu says something like that, the Commish and NFL "SHOULD" take heed... see what happens...

tube517
11-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Troy will probably get fined....

Bluecoat96
11-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Amen. Now if Troy Polamalu says something like that, the Commish and NFL "SHOULD" take heed... see what happens...

Goodell will probably just send one of his cronies out to Pittsburgh to threaten/admonish Troy again. I believe that happened either last year or the year before when Troy said something about the commish taking the hits out of the game.

fansince'76
11-03-2010, 03:47 PM
"It's football, you know. If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer," Polamalu said during a lunchtime interview.

Seems to me a fair number of folks here have basically echoed this sentiment but were called "bloodthirsty" for doing so by others. I guess Troy is "bloodthirsty" too.

fansince'76
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Goodell will probably just send one of his cronies out to Pittsburgh to threaten/admonish Troy again. I believe that happened either last year or the year before when Troy said something about the commish taking the hits out of the game.

Yep. That was after his "pansy game" comment, and the douche bag did send one of his goons to Pittsburgh for a visit.

SteelerEmpire
11-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Yep. That was after his "pansy game" comment, and the douche bag did send one of his goons to Pittsburgh for a visit.

The SS ? His power is being threatened, expect drastic measures before he goes down...

silver & black
11-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Good for Troy. I hope more players speak their mind as the season goes on.

Dino 6 Rings
11-03-2010, 04:53 PM
KEEP HITTING PEOPLE!

THE MOST VIOLENT TEAM WINS! WHAT PART OF THAT NEEDS REPEATED!!!

Hit the fools. Then Pity Them.

stillers4me
11-03-2010, 05:03 PM
"No, I don't think there's any confusion. I just think the problem is that they're wrong."

:chuckle:

ALLD
11-03-2010, 06:11 PM
ESPN and the NFL Network are reporting that Roger Goodell has just banned long hair in the NFL.

SteelerFanInStl
11-03-2010, 06:29 PM
What's funny is to go on NFL.com or ESPN.com and read the comments on these articles from the "fans". :lol: It's no wonder the NFL is becoming such a pansy game if this is how the "fans" react. These people don't know what real football is.

T&B fan
11-03-2010, 06:50 PM
when the new CBA is made I hope the players have the smarts to put something in about this and all the other fines Goodell has given out .

psusteelerspens4life
11-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Hit, Stick, And talk shit!!

Devilsdancefloor
11-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Troy is right on so many levels especially saying he is wrong! i hope more folks step up on both sides of the ball & FO folks!!

Chidi29
11-03-2010, 08:24 PM
It looks fine to me.

The NFL has been reasonable about the higher consequences. No one has been suspended up until this point, and it doesn't look like James will even be fined for the hit on Brees.

Goodell is allowing players to comminicate with him and let each side express their thoughts. I'm sure Goodell has people he discusses these issues with and other people working on individual situations.

This is basically what Troy is asking from a "power" standpoint. I find it unrealistic to think having players somehow be able to weigh in on the decisions, it is probably impractical from a time/agreement standpoint, but the NFL isn't going around suspending players left and right and are letting the players express their frustration.

I said it in an article I wrote (Go check it out if you haven't yet - not a lot of views). The biggest thing we need is clarity and consistency. This meeting helps James and the rest of the team accomplish the former.

GBMelBlount
11-03-2010, 08:30 PM
I wonder if Goodell understands how much respect he has lost by players and fans alike.

If I were to see him I would certainly let him know how I feel....he is no different than any other person in power so immersed in self importance that they lose all objectivity.

HometownGal
11-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Good for you Troy! :applaudit: Screw Goodildo and his pillaging of the way football is meant to be played. If you want to see ballerinas Goodell ya mammoth vajayjay - buy tickets to the ballet. :upyours:

GBMelBlount
11-03-2010, 09:01 PM
If you want to see ballerinas Goodell ya mammoth vajayjay - buy tickets to the ballet. :upyours:

That term actually came to my mind as well....but as always, I waited for you.....as I could have never stated it with such elegance. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
11-04-2010, 03:28 AM
Good for you Troy! :applaudit: Screw Goodildo and his pillaging of the way football is meant to be played. If you want to see ballerinas Goodell ya mammoth vajayjay - buy tickets to the ballet. :upyours:

Agreed what Troy said is the truth they need to let them play ball.

HometownGal
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
That term actually came to my mind as well....but as always, I waited for you.....as I could have never stated it with such elegance. :chuckle:

:heh: :heh: :heh:

Texasteel
11-04-2010, 06:39 AM
If the fans would call the teams canceling their season tickets till Goodell is fired we might get rid of him pretty quick.

zulater
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Personally I think the Steelers and Steeler nation would be better off if we just forgot who the hell the guy in New York is until after the season is over. Or better yet until the podium presentation in Febuary. I would like to see Harrison, Troy, and company there saying, "oh yeah there's the idiot from New York who's trying to screw up our game here to present us our newest Lombardi, what's his name again?"

Seriously though, I'm worried that Goodell's become a distraction for this team. Tomlin needs to focus the team and the fans more on their next opponent and less on Commish Fuckall.

Animal Mother
11-04-2010, 07:23 AM
Troy said it perfectly. Goodell has too much power to be handing out fines and suspensions by himself or with 2 or 3 other people. There needs to be a filter or a group consensus about fines and suspensions with the players and coaches involved.

I love the "no confusion, just that they're wrong" line.

stillers4me
11-04-2010, 07:33 AM
I've been saying this since the whole Ben fiasco. There should be a committee that consists of former players, coaches, a representative from the players union as well as Goodell and his goons that reviews all plays in question and player behavior. and it should be a separate committee that reviews the appeals. Right now now, Goodell is running this show like Kim Jong Mentally Ill.

atlsteelers
11-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I am not sure what the attendence figures are across the leauge but i do know a number of teams are having trouble selling out - i blame goodell and his soccer/rugby sport that he is trying to create. hell goodell even wants a team in europe home of soccer.

atlsteelers
11-04-2010, 11:22 AM
i am agianst a lockout but if we miss a season of football the players should at least hold out for having a neutral arbitrator when it comes to fines and suspensions.

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 12:17 PM
It looks fine to me.

The NFL has been reasonable about the higher consequences. No one has been suspended up until this point, and it doesn't look like James will even be fined for the hit on Brees.

You were saying?

NFL fines Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison $20,000 for another illegal hit (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfl-fines-pittsburgh-steelers-lb-james-harrison-20000-for-another-illegal-hit/1)

So where's the fine for the helmet-to-helmet on Hines by Leigh Torrence? Oh yeah, nobody pointed it out and made a stink about it in the media, so it's not happening. :coffee:

Still say the assclown Goodell needs to go. Yesterday.

ALLD
11-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Goodell is a chicken shit.

NFLLockout
11-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association and I was just reading through the thread. If you would like to get your voices heard, head on over the NFLLockout.com (http://nfllockout.com/) and sign the petition. We want to block the lockout so we can have an NFL football season next year.

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Hey guys, I'm here on behalf of the NFL Players Association and I was just reading through the thread. If you would like to get your voices heard, head on over the NFLLockout.com (http://nfllockout.com/) and sign the petition. We want to block the lockout so we can have an NFL football season next year.

At the risk of sounding like an impossible cynic, yeah, good luck with that.

Chidi29
11-04-2010, 06:04 PM
You were saying?

NFL fines Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison $20,000 for another illegal hit (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nfl-fines-pittsburgh-steelers-lb-james-harrison-20000-for-another-illegal-hit/1)

So where's the fine for the helmet-to-helmet on Hines by Leigh Torrence? Oh yeah, nobody pointed it out and made a stink about it in the media, so it's not happening. :coffee:

Still say the assclown Goodell needs to go. Yesterday.

Looks like I was wrong on that one.

I don't know how the decision come to be on the Torrence hit. What I do know are two things.

1. Harrison said he'd understand it if he were fined. And it might not be an issue of helmet-to-helmet; rather, an issue of whether or not the the hit was late.

If Harrison is ok with it, shouldn't we be too? Especially when it comes from a guy who we know would speak out against a fine if he thought it came unjustly.

Harrison isn't the only player being fined.

Ernie Sims got hit with a 50K fine. Don Carey was fined $12,500. Donnie Nickey was fined $2500.

Count Steeler
11-04-2010, 06:05 PM

Turf the Commish first.

Chidi29
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
How can Goodell have too much power when there is an appeals process that has nothing to do with him or any "suits" in the league.

The appeals committee is made up of a two former players who also coached. Art Shell, one of the big three with Otto and Upshaw, and Ted Cottrell.

That is having too much power?

That deserves the Hiter or dictator jabs? Really?

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Looks like I was wrong on that one.

I don't know how the decision come to be on the Torrence hit. What I do know are two things.

1. Harrison said he'd understand it if he were fined. And it might not be an issue of helmet-to-helmet; rather, an issue of whether or not the the hit was late.

If Harrison is ok with it, shouldn't we be too? Especially when it comes from a guy who we know would speak out against a fine if he thought it came unjustly.

Harrison isn't the only player being fined.

Ernie Sims got hit with a 50K fine. Don Carey was fined $12,500. Donnie Nickey was fined $2500.

I'm OK with the fine on Harrison this time, actually - it was a late hit and it's a protect-the-100-million-dollar-QB-at-all-costs league and has been for a while. I'm NOT OK with the non-fine on Torrence, especially after all the acrimony and hand-wringing and BS charges leveled at Harrison of being a cheap shot artist I've had to listen to for the last 3 weeks due to helmet-to-helmet hits.

Chidi29
11-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Maybe Torrence still gets fined? They apparently don't come out at the same time. A lesson I learned once I saw Sims get fined and no fine on James.

I don't know what the NFL is thinking. They may have a totally unique perspective.

No matter what, I know that Harrison isn't the only one fined and that the NFL is taking measures to stop hits across the league. That's good enough for me.

BPS3akaWirels3
11-04-2010, 06:43 PM
At the risk of sounding like an impossible cynic, yeah, good luck with that.

It looks like the website is associated with the NFL Players association..

Dick723
11-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Can't take all the hitting out. If so just play offence. Then Ben will get fined for throwing too hard

SteelerSal
11-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Can't take all the hitting out. If so just play offence. Then Ben will get fined for throwing too hard

:lol:

Welcome to SU!!!

Dick723
11-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Call him a PUNK, Troy!

fansince'76
11-04-2010, 09:25 PM
It looks like the website is associated with the NFL Players association..

I was skeptical at first, but I did a WHOIS lookup on that site and the technical contact for it is a guy named Richard Persons, who it appears is the NFLPA's director of information services, so it actually is on the up and up. I still don't see how an online petition of fans is going to change anything - it's the players and owners who have to come together on a new CBA to avoid a lockout/strike. :noidea:

Moose
11-05-2010, 01:35 AM
I agree with Troy 100%---I just hope he doesn't get fined or suspended for speaking his mind !! LOL I'm with you Dino 6 rings-- you hit 'em hard enough they'll quit running on your side of the field, so there will only be 1 or 2 fines !

NFLLockout
11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I was skeptical at first, but I did a WHOIS lookup on that site and the technical contact for it is a guy named Richard Persons, who it appears is the NFLPA's director of information services, so it actually is on the up and up. I still don't see how an online petition of fans is going to change anything - it's the players and owners who have to come together on a new CBA to avoid a lockout/strike. :noidea:

Once enough signatures are received on the petition the NFL Players Association will be sending this letter (http://www.nfllockout.com/2010/10/11/petition-letter-to-nfl-commissioner-and-nfl-owners/) to the NFL Commissioner and the NFL Owners explaining just how much is at stake.

fansince'76
11-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Once enough signatures are received on the petition the NFL Players Association will be sending this letter (http://www.nfllockout.com/2010/10/11/petition-letter-to-nfl-commissioner-and-nfl-owners/) to the NFL Commissioner and the NFL Owners explaining just how much is at stake.

I signed it anyway, even though I still question the effectiveness of online petitions in general. Nobody wants to see a lockout. Apologies for my earlier skepticism and good luck. :drink:

BuddhaBus
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
Kudos to Troy for saying what needs to be said! He's absolutely right. Why wouldn't you want to involve some of the players you claim to be trying to protect in the decision making process concerning punishment for dangerous play/hits? It would make sense that a football player would have a better understanding of the difference between intent and accident since they play the game. It would also be in their best interests to try to weed dangerous play/players out of the league if their health and well being are at risk from them.

Goodell has way too much power and the NFL has no real system of checks and balances concerning his decisions. It's :bs:

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I also read that they said on Mike and Mike that the man who reviews the plays and gives the reports to Goodell is Merton Hanks. He is a former safety and four time Pro Bowler.

It is flat out false to say that Goodell has complete power when he clearly is attempting to accompass many different people with different backgrounds in this process.

zulater
11-06-2010, 02:01 PM
I also read that they said on Mike and Mike that the man who reviews the plays and gives the reports to Goodell is Merton Hanks. He is a former safety and four time Pro Bowler.

It is flat out false to say that Goodell has complete power when he clearly is attempting to accompass many different people with different backgrounds in this process.

What's fair to say is that the union should have some say in the appeals proccess. It's ridiculous that the same people who determine punishment have complete autonomy in the appeal.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 05:22 PM
What's fair to say is that the union should have some say in the appeals proccess. It's ridiculous that the same people who determine punishment have complete autonomy in the appeal.

And they have a say.

The league and the union came to a joint decision to add Ted Cottrell to the the appeals committee.

ALLD
11-06-2010, 06:26 PM
In history plenty of men had absolute power. There were good kings and bad. What we have in the NFL right now is a bad king. He makes poor decisions and is trying to turn the NFL into the NHL.

The NHL has tried to greatly reduce the amount of hitting on the ice and to speed up the game to open up scoring opportunities. Ok, on the surface the sounds alright for the NHL. However, the NFL is the highest rated sport in the US and needs no assistance to tweak the game to better ratings. We already have the best ratings. Why try and fix something that isn't broken unless it is a vanity project. Goodell's ego is too big, he is screwing up the game and he needs to go now.

HollywoodSteel
11-06-2010, 06:40 PM

It's just a propaganda tool. The NFLPA will be able to say "look, the fans don't want a lock out, so the owners must be wrong!" I would never sign anything so vague. Are you saying that the owners should cave to all the players' demands? If the players don't want a lock out they could just cave to all the owners' demands. Problem solved. If all you cared about is the fans, then surely you'd do this. But that's not really what you want, is it? You want a football season, but only on your terms, and the owners want a football season, but only on their terms.

This petition tells us nothing about which is the more reasonable side, or what the issues are. You're just insulting our intelligence.

Jaquila
11-06-2010, 07:30 PM
I hate Goodell with passion lol =)

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 09:34 PM
In history plenty of men had absolute power. There were good kings and bad. What we have in the NFL right now is a bad king. He makes poor decisions and is trying to turn the NFL into the NHL.

The NHL has tried to greatly reduce the amount of hitting on the ice and to speed up the game to open up scoring opportunities. Ok, on the surface the sounds alright for the NHL. However, the NFL is the highest rated sport in the US and needs no assistance to tweak the game to better ratings. We already have the best ratings. Why try and fix something that isn't broken unless it is a vanity project. Goodell's ego is too big, he is screwing up the game and he needs to go now.

Goodell is not a king. That implies that he is apart of every action of processes.

I've shown how Goodell only gets a final say on the initial punishment, as you would expect as from the leader of the league, and how he can be overruled.

It's basically the same thing as being President. A President can sign a bill but it can be vetoed. Just like how any fine that Goodell hands out loses in the appeal process gets retracted.

The NHL actually appears to have a worse system. I'm not too keen on the inner-workings, but I was reading about the Joe Thornton suspension. He appealed it. Guess how that process works?

A phone call with the commissioner.

He lost the appeal.

The NFL has a much better system that has former players and coaches involved in it.

It is a government like Troy is asking for. With all due respect to #43, he needs to do his research before speaking out.

stlrtruck
11-06-2010, 10:17 PM

And they have a say.

The league and the union came to a joint decision to add Ted Cottrell to the the appeals committee.

While he may be seeking the input of former players etc, that doesn't mean that he's seeking their input when he's setiting the fines. It seems to me that his fines are ridiculous and exponentially set based on the player, not the hit.

And to be honest with you, his actions appear to me that he's more interested in collecting fines than he is in getting everyone to the table to fix the CBA and avoid a lockout. At least, IMO, Tagliabue was more interested in fixing the league not knee jerk tape stuff together and in essence removing himself from being in touch with what the fans want, and what the owners and players need in order to sign the CBA. Goodell is a disgrace to the league and the intergrity to the Office of the Commissioner of the league.

GBMelBlount
11-06-2010, 10:24 PM
How can Goodell have too much power when there is an appeals process that has nothing to do with him or any "suits" in the league.

The appeals committee is made up of a two former players who also coached. Art Shell, one of the big three with Otto and Upshaw, and Ted Cottrell.

That is having too much power?

That deserves the Hiter or dictator jabs? Really?

Thanks for sharing Chidi.

I'd like to see at least 6. Preferably more.

Current players, past and coaches.,

Too much chance for collusion and exaggerated feelings of self importance with only a few involved imo.

Just sayin.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
While he may be seeking the input of former players etc, that doesn't mean that he's seeking their input when he's setiting the fines. It seems to me that his fines are ridiculous and exponentially set based on the player, not the hit.

And to be honest with you, his actions appear to me that he's more interested in collecting fines than he is in getting everyone to the table to fix the CBA and avoid a lockout. At least, IMO, Tagliabue was more interested in fixing the league not knee jerk tape stuff together and in essence removing himself from being in touch with what the fans want, and what the owners and players need in order to sign the CBA. Goodell is a disgrace to the league and the intergrity to the Office of the Commissioner of the league.

He is seeking their input when setting the fines. It's Hanks' report that gives him the breakdown of the hit. If Hanks said it didn't look to be malicioous, intentional, etc., that player will receive a lesser punishment than none at all than if Hanks thinks it was a flagrant hit.

The final decision does come down to Goodell, but hey, someone has to have the final say. That's how government works. And again, his decision can and has been overturned in appeals court. It's happened this year.

I'm sure when the league went through multiple strikes, the commissioner looked bad. When you have players picketing outside of training camps, when Terry Bradshaw is holding up a sign lambasting the NFL, the commish isn't going to look good. Of course, since those situations were resolved, the end outlook is positive.

This is an ugly situation that frankly, makes every side look bad. But let's wait and see how exactly it is resolved before saying what Goodell's interests are and aren't. We still have until March, and there's still a lot of postering on both sides at this point.

I don't see the issue of fines having much to do with the lockout anyway. They're seperate issues.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:31 PM

Too much chance for collusion and exaggerated feelings of self importance with only a few involved imo.

Just sayin.

I understand that though I don't know if the league made a push for more than another person. The fact that the league compromised and allowed another person on the committee shows they aren't power hungry and are willing to put a defensive-minded person to go along with an offensive lineman when we know the issue with fines circle around defensive players.

My whole point was there are people other than Goodell involved in the process who have many different backgrounds. I have named three people and there are likely more.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:34 PM

Just sayin.

And no matter what you think of Goodell, even if you hate him, I still don't see how some of the comments about him various people on here make are acceptable.

The "Der Kommisioner" references? I saw a guy post a picture of a noose with the caption "Reserved for Goodell" on here. I understand it's likely an intentional exagerration, but if anyone said or did anything like that about another member or even a Steeler they'd be banned for violating the rules.

To me, there are better ways to express your dislike for Goodell than Hitler and "Kill Him" claims.

GBMelBlount
11-06-2010, 10:39 PM
My whole point was there are people other than Goodell involved in the process who have many different backgrounds. I have named three people and there are likely more.

Of course. It is just just very frustrating and irritating. He consults with them and then makes a decision? I am assuming they don't "Vote", then it would be hard for him to rule contrary to the majority......

Personally I would rather see a vote and have the ACTUAL decision taken out of his hands alone. That's all.

GBMelBlount
11-06-2010, 10:46 PM
And no matter what you think of Goodell, even if you hate him, I still don't see how some of the comments about him various people on here make are acceptable.

The "Der Kommisioner" references? I saw a guy post a picture of a noose with the caption "Reserved for Goodell" on here. I understand it's likely an intentional exagerration, but if anyone said or did anything like that about another member or even a Steeler they'd be banned for violating the rules.

To me, there are better ways to express your dislike for Goodell than Hitler and "Kill Him" claims.

I understand your point.

I just look at it us as a board where we let out our frustrations....including me. It passes. We are passionate fans so to me it's only natural for occasional commie comments and a few isolated death wishes. :peep:

stlrtruck
11-06-2010, 10:48 PM

I hope, as are my posts of calling him 'Der Kommish', are in jest. I wouldn't want the man to die or even be seriously injured. I just want him to go away. I believe he is weak for the league, he is weak for the future of this league, and he's overall a hypocrite with his double talk (this of course is just my opinion). I first thought he was going to be a great commish with the way he handled certain events up front but then it seemed that his interests in the integrity of the leaue wavered based on the team/player involved. I feel that he's become more interested in player postering rather than league postering. IMO, he's not prioritizing things (at least from my perspective) and he tackles, or at least attempts to tackle, the easier problems and leaves everything else because 'he doesn't want to deal with it'.

I know both sides of the CBA are at fault and the bottom line the only people to get screwed are the fans Regardless of the outcome. I truly don't understand either side. In essence the bickering is coming down to what equates to you and me arguing over a few dollars, in the grand scheme of the things. And while the dollar value is higher, in the essence of what the NFL makes in a year it's nothing more than a few dollars. Both sides want to be richer, both sides want the power, and I believe that Goodell doesn't know how to make them belly up to the table.

I think he needs to go, and go now. I don't believe that he's good for the league, and I think that if he were to resign or be ousted, that a new commissioner with a better understanding of the game in general with an established committe (if you will) to help adjust the rules as needed, slap fines, etc. would bode well for the NFL and more importantly, US THE FANS!

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Of course. It is just just very frustrating and irritating. He consults with them and then makes a decision? I am assuming they don't "Vote", then it would be hard for him to rule contrary to the majority......

Personally I would rather see a vote and have the ACTUAL decision taken out of his hands alone. That's all.

No, as far as I know, there isn't a vote. My understanding of it is that Hanks and anyone else who helps in this process (if there is anyone else, Hanks is the only name I know) gives Goodell a file on each hit. Based off of that information, Goodell makes his decision. Like I've said, just like the government (what Troy wants) someone will make the final call.

A vote like what you are asking may be too time consuming. The NFL doesn't make their decisions on Monday, but it does need to be done in a somewhat timely fashion. I heard about new fines yesterday so I'm guessing all of the rulings are made by Thursday night or Friday morning. A vote could potentially drag out this process and make it more of a headache.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 10:55 PM
I hope, as are my posts of calling him 'Der Kommish', are in jest. I wouldn't want the man to die or even be seriously injured. I just want him to go away. I believe he is weak for the league, he is weak for the future of this league, and he's overall a hypocrite with his double talk (this of course is just my opinion). I first thought he was going to be a great commish with the way he handled certain events up front but then it seemed that his interests in the integrity of the leaue wavered based on the team/player involved. I feel that he's become more interested in player postering rather than league postering. IMO, he's not prioritizing things (at least from my perspective) and he tackles, or at least attempts to tackle, the easier problems and leaves everything else because 'he doesn't want to deal with it'.

I know both sides of the CBA are at fault and the bottom line the only people to get screwed are the fans Regardless of the outcome. I truly don't understand either side. In essence the bickering is coming down to what equates to you and me arguing over a few dollars, in the grand scheme of the things. And while the dollar value is higher, in the essence of what the NFL makes in a year it's nothing more than a few dollars. Both sides want to be richer, both sides want the power, and I believe that Goodell doesn't know how to make them belly up to the table.

I think he needs to go, and go now. I don't believe that he's good for the league, and I think that if he were to resign or be ousted, that a new commissioner with a better understanding of the game in general with an established committe (if you will) to help adjust the rules as needed, slap fines, etc. would bode well for the NFL and more importantly, US THE FANS!

I understand that the comments are mostly made tounge-in-cheek and I'm not trying to come off sounding as preachy.

But I think there is a line and to hold up the intergrity of the board, these comments push the envelope.

I'm fine with guys saying that they hate Goodell, and making fun of him. The photoshop of Harrison tackling Goodell is hilarious. I don't agree with the opinion most fans have of Goodell, but I support their right to say it.

But when I see these comments and pictures, I can't help but think it's too much.

stlrtruck
11-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I understand that the comments are mostly made tounge-in-cheek and I'm not trying to come off sounding as preachy.

But I think there is a line and to hold up the intergrity of the board, these comments push the envelope.

I'm fine with guys saying that they hate Goodell, and making fun of him. The photoshop of Harrison tackling Goodell is hilarious. I don't agree with the opinion most fans have of Goodell, but I support their right to say it.

But when I see these comments and pictures, I can't help but think it's too much.

I understand your view. We'll just havce to agree to disagree, at least about the 'Der Kommish' names. I'd agree that the noose picture could be a bit overboard.

I know that when I write him a letter, I keep it too the point and respectful. I've heard of letters being sent to him that are not professional and do not warrant a response. I'd rather get a response, it at least lets me know that I was heard.

Chidi29
11-06-2010, 11:26 PM

Just sayin.

By the way, using any current players/coaches wouldn't be practical. Biases would become way too much of a problem. Think Charlie Batch is going to vote "yes" to fine Harrison 50K?

stlrtruck
11-07-2010, 06:58 AM
By the way, using any current players/coaches wouldn't be practical. Biases would become way too much of a problem. Think Charlie Batch is going to vote "yes" to fine Harrison 50K?

You think using Jack Lambert is going to vote "yes" to fine Harrison any amount of money? Fidning a neutral person to assist in when to levey a fine is going to be difficult based on their background.

I'll use me as an example. A few weeks back when the NFL levied it's set of fines,the only hit I would have said deserved a fine would have been the hit from Meriweather. Definitely would have said the hit on Brees was a penalty but not worthy of a fine.

My other problem is that the NFL Office seems to be picking and choosing which teams/players they fine.

SMR
11-07-2010, 08:22 AM
I understand your point.

I just look at it us as a board where we let out our frustrations....including me. It passes. We are passionate fans so to me it's only natural for occasional commie comments and a few isolated death wishes. :peep:

:heh: Yeah, I was the guy who posted the hangman's noose pic with a "death wish" for Goodell. Relax, of course it was just intentional exaggeration. However, I do feel Goodell need to leave (in one piece, of course!)

SMR
11-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Troy is one of the most respectable men on and off the field and even he knows Goodell has too much power. It's great to have the Rooneys back up Harrison.

Chidi29
11-07-2010, 12:07 PM
You think using Jack Lambert is going to vote "yes" to fine Harrison any amount of money? Fidning a
neutral person to assist in when to levey a fine is going to be difficult based on their background.

I'll use me as an example. A few weeks back when the NFL levied it's set of fines,the only hit I would have said deserved a fine would have been the hit from Meriweather. Definitely would have said the hit on Brees was a penalty but not worthy of a fine.

My other problem is that the NFL Office seems to be picking and choosing which teams/players they fine.

Which is why the current system is fine now. Use players who were also coaches or use a guy like Hanks who has worked with the league for awhile.

What makes you think the NFL is picking and choosing which teams/players get fined? I get that you may think a player should have been fined when he wasn't, but you're making quite the accusation, no? The NFL is intentionally out to get some players or teams and not others?

Look at the list of players that were fined this week.

1. James Harrison - PIT
2. Ernie Sims - DET
3. Jason Babin - TEN
4. Donnie Nickey - TEN
5. Myron Pryor - NE
6. Gary Guyton - NE
7. Don Carey - JAX
8. Robert Gallery - OAK
9. Rolando McClain - OAK
10. Wallace Gilberry - KC

Ten players, seven different teams.

I don't know about you, but that seems fair to me.

GBMelBlount
11-07-2010, 12:51 PM

They wouldn't be making THE decision, just providing fresh input and perspective.

Many retired players get soft and forget what is truly like in the trenches imo.

Having some guys in the trenches on a "board" would help keep it "real". Perhaps players that are selected/elected from a few various positions that are considered level headed, to voice their opinions.

Maybe a current QB, receiver, linebacker and safety for instance.

Chidi29
11-07-2010, 01:00 PM
They wouldn't be making THE decision, just providing fresh input and perspective.

Many retired players get soft and forget what is truly like in the trenches imo.

Having some guys in the trenches on a "board" would help keep it "real". Perhaps players that are selected/elected from a few various positions that are considered level headed, to voice their opinions.

Maybe a current QB, receiver, linebacker and safety for instance.

But their input could be heavily biased is my point.

I don't think tough guys like Shell forget what it's like. You guys always say how the NFL was more "real" and "tougher" back in those ages anyway. And Hanks hasn't been out of the league that long as a player.

My whole point is that Goodell is far from having too much power and it's a lot more like a government than you think. Troy's comments were off the mark.

zulater
11-08-2010, 11:06 AM
And they have a say.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nflpa-vows-to-challenge-unfair-and-disproportionate-discipline-by-nfl/1

Doesn't seem as if the Union is convinced of this as you.

stlrtruck
11-08-2010, 12:44 PM
What makes you think the NFL is picking and choosing which teams/players get fined? I get that you may think a player should have been fined when he wasn't, but you're making quite the accusation, no? The NFL is intentionally out to get some players or teams and not others?

Look at the list of players that were fined this week.

1. James Harrison - PIT
2. Ernie Sims - DET
3. Jason Babin - TEN
4. Donnie Nickey - TEN
5. Myron Pryor - NE
6. Gary Guyton - NE
7. Don Carey - JAX
8. Robert Gallery - OAK
9. Rolando McClain - OAK
10. Wallace Gilberry - KC

Ten players, seven different teams.

I don't know about you, but that seems fair to me.

Tell my QBs named Brady and Peyton more times than not get the flag, which draws the fine, when shall we say our very own Big Ben takes the same hit and nothing, notta, zelch, zero. No flag, no fine, no nothing. I believe the NFL is catering to the pansy personal in the league and attempting to protect "THE FACES" of the league. Yes, it is a very serious accusation that I'm making against the NFL, but I still stand by it until they can prove otherwise. IMO, certain players are being made an example of - one of those is James Harrison. And with the commish being at the game tonight I would surprised if we hear about another fine because of a great aggressive defensive play that knocks another "TOP LEVEL OFFENSIVE FACE OF THE LEAGUE" player to the sideline for a play or maybe even the rest of the game.

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 04:18 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2010/11/nflpa-vows-to-challenge-unfair-and-disproportionate-discipline-by-nfl/1

Doesn't seem as if the Union is convinced of this as you.

The quote you posted was me referring to the appeals committee, which DeMaurice said they will look towards after any unjust fines in the link you provided.

SteelerFanInStl
11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
I watched the Illinois vs Michigan game on Saturday which ended at 67-65. All I could think of during the game was that this is what the future NFL will look like. :(

Chidi29
11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Tell my QBs named Brady and Peyton more times than not get the flag, which draws the fine, when shall we say our very own Big Ben takes the same hit and nothing, notta, zelch, zero. No flag, no fine, no nothing. I believe the NFL is catering to the pansy personal in the league and attempting to protect "THE FACES" of the league. Yes, it is a very serious accusation that I'm making against the NFL, but I still stand by it until they can prove otherwise. IMO, certain players are being made an example of - one of those is James Harrison. And with the commish being at the game tonight I would surprised if we hear about another fine because of a great aggressive defensive play that knocks another "TOP LEVEL OFFENSIVE FACE OF THE LEAGUE" player to the sideline for a play or maybe even the rest of the game.

Jason Babin was fined 20K for a hit on Phillip Rivers, not one of the quarterbacks the NFL is claimed to "love" or "protect". There's some proof for you.

Going back to Babin, this was the fourth time he's been fined this season. No one says he's being made an example of or that he's being targeted. And I'm sure there have been other players fined multiple times. I know Ernie Sims has been fined three times in the past three seasons.

You only want to think that James is being targeted when it doesn't appear to be the case. You hear hoofbeats and think "zebra".

zulater
11-08-2010, 11:22 PM
The quote you posted was me referring to the appeals committee, which DeMaurice said they will look towards after any unjust fines in the link you provided.

I think you're soft soaping the fact that DeMaurice isn't overwhelmed with the current process and it looks to me as if he thinks the system needs to at least be tweaked.

stlrtruck
11-09-2010, 06:26 AM
Jason Babin was fined 20K for a hit on Phillip Rivers, not one of the quarterbacks the NFL is claimed to "love" or "protect". There's some proof for you.

Going back to Babin, this was the fourth time he's been fined this season. No one says he's being made an example of or that he's being targeted. And I'm sure there have been other players fined multiple times. I know Ernie Sims has been fined three times in the past three seasons.

You only want to think that James is being targeted when it doesn't appear to be the case. You hear hoofbeats and think "zebra".

While I do think they are targeting James, I never mentioned his name solely. I feel they are targeting aggressive outspoken players for fines and 'illegal' hits while protecting other players more so than others.

My only point is this. If you're going to call pansy calls, like the hit to Peyton's head during a play against the eagles, then call those same pansy calls across the board. Give me fair calls, don't protect players because they are 'the face of the league'.

Case in point, last night Taylor was on coverage against T.O. and a late, very late flag was thrown for pass interference. Why? Well it seems to me that the flag was thrown because TO jumped up and down worse than a 3 year old not getting their way in a candy store! Was there a call there, yes, but my point being they don't call it consistently and some players once they start whining, the appearance is that refs give them the call to shut them up, which doesn't work. It's like giving a spoiled baby everything they want, they just want more.

Chidi29
11-09-2010, 10:09 AM
I think you're soft soaping the fact that DeMaurice isn't overwhelmed with the current process and it looks to me as if he thinks the system needs to at least be tweaked.

The union will do/say anything to make the league look bad right now. That's their job leading up to the CBA negotiations.

He was referring to not liking the fact the players were being fined (the union didn't have a role in selecting Hanks). I said that the union has helped create a system that retracts that fine.

Chidi29
11-09-2010, 10:11 AM
While I do think they are targeting James, I never mentioned his name solely. I feel they are targeting aggressive outspoken players for fines and 'illegal' hits while protecting other players more so than others.

My only point is this. If you're going to call pansy calls, like the hit to Peyton's head during a play against the eagles, then call those same pansy calls across the board. Give me fair calls, don't protect players because they are 'the face of the league'.

Case in point, last night Taylor was on coverage against T.O. and a late, very late flag was thrown for pass interference. Why? Well it seems to me that the flag was thrown because TO jumped up and down worse than a 3 year old not getting their way in a candy store! Was there a call there, yes, but my point being they don't call it consistently and some players once they start whining, the appearance is that refs give them the call to shut them up, which doesn't work. It's like giving a spoiled baby everything they want, they just want more.

Jason Babin has been outspoken? When?

If the refs were to throw a flag everytime a receiver wanted pass interference, there'd be a flag on every incomplete pass.

Are we sure the flag came out late? Or was it just a matter of the cameras not picking it up quickly because it came from the ref on the other side of the field?

stlrtruck
11-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Jason Babin has been outspoken? When?

If the refs were to throw a flag everytime a receiver wanted pass interference, there'd be a flag on every incomplete pass.

Are we sure the flag came out late? Or was it just a matter of the cameras not picking it up quickly because it came from the ref on the other side of the field?

Couldn't tell you about Babin but I know that the players who are out spoken get a lot more attention. Whether there comments are held locally or nationally. Unfortuanetly some players only get local attention while others are granted the main stage.

And you're right about the number of flags being thrown. But if you look at who gets the calls, it proves my point. The ones that are the media loves (TO, Marsha, Pey-Pey) and the NFL uses as the 'face' of the league and the ones who cry every time they are contacted look at the refs, jump up and down, and then get a flag.

Even the announcers said it was a late flag last night. How is it someone 5 ft from the play doesn't throw a flag but someone 30 yards away can tell it was pass interference? And if he can tell it was pass interference why did he wait until well after the play was complete? I feel certain I could grab a flag from my hip pocket and throw it before the play ended.

Chidi29
11-09-2010, 02:25 PM
Couldn't tell you about Babin but I know that the players who are out spoken get a lot more attention. Whether there comments are held locally or nationally. Unfortuanetly some players only get local attention while others are granted the main stage.

And you're right about the number of flags being thrown. But if you look at who gets the calls, it proves my point. The ones that are the media loves (TO, Marsha, Pey-Pey) and the NFL uses as the 'face' of the league and the ones who cry every time they are contacted look at the refs, jump up and down, and then get a flag.

Even the announcers said it was a late flag last night. How is it someone 5 ft from the play doesn't throw a flag but someone 30 yards away can tell it was pass interference? And if he can tell it was pass interference why did he wait until well after the play was complete? I feel certain I could grab a flag from my hip pocket and throw it before the play ended.

Obviously players who are outspoken get more attention, but it doesn't mean there's any sort of conspiracy to hand out a fine that isn't deserved. And guys like Babin and Ernie Sims, fined three times in three years, aren't very outspoken and have been fined multiple times. Again, it goes back to looking for what you want to see. You're not happy about the fines James has gotten and you're trying to figure out why. But it has nothing to do with him being outspoken; rather, it's about the crackdown the NFL is putting on.

The same principle applies to your second point. Pass interference is always called. You're just seeing some instances (Owens is benefited from a PI call) and apply it to everything (They're deliberately getting calls).

I couldn't tell you what went through each refs' minds on the interference. I know some people have said it was an interference - that Ike hooked his arm.

Why would the ref away from Owens throw the flag to make Owens happy? He's not the one getting yelled at. He has no incentive to throw the flag.

stlrtruck
11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Obviously players who are outspoken get more attention, but it doesn't mean there's any sort of conspiracy to hand out a fine that isn't deserved. And guys like Babin and Ernie Sims, fined three times in three years, aren't very outspoken and have been fined multiple times. Again, it goes back to looking for what you want to see. You're not happy about the fines James has gotten and you're trying to figure out why. But it has nothing to do with him being outspoken; rather, it's about the crackdown the NFL is putting on.

The same principle applies to your second point. Pass interference is always called. You're just seeing some instances (Owens is benefited from a PI call) and apply it to everything (They're deliberately getting calls).

I couldn't tell you what went through each refs' minds on the interference. I know some people have said it was an interference - that Ike hooked his arm.

Why would the ref away from Owens throw the flag to make Owens happy? He's not the one getting yelled at. He has no incentive to throw the flag.

I have no problem calling a legit foul when I see it on the field. Have sat at many a Steelers game, looked at my brother, and said, "Yep, that was X penalty." No reason to complain about it.

However, I don't know why the NFL allows such shenigans to continue with the penalties. Why some are called and others aren't? So what's the problem? If you ask me, it's training. The officials are not enforcing the rules the same, and once again, I'll have to agree to disagree, I do believe that certain players get certain preferential treatment from officials. And I've seen more than one game where those certain players acted a specific way, and got their penalty called.

Chidi29
11-09-2010, 03:10 PM
I have no problem calling a legit foul when I see it on the field. Have sat at many a Steelers game, looked at my brother, and said, "Yep, that was X penalty." No reason to complain about it.

However, I don't know why the NFL allows such shenigans to continue with the penalties. Why some are called and others aren't? So what's the problem? If you ask me, it's training. The officials are not enforcing the rules the same, and once again, I'll have to agree to disagree, I do believe that certain players get certain preferential treatment from officials. And I've seen more than one game where those certain players acted a specific way, and got their penalty called.

I'd say some of the calls are misses or judgement calls by the refs.

One thing I have gotten on the NFL's case is for a lack of clarity into what occurs for an action to be a penalty and what makes it legal. I don't think anyone has a clear idea. Major problem.

stlrtruck
11-09-2010, 03:24 PM
I'd say some of the calls are misses or judgement calls by the refs.

One thing I have gotten on the NFL's case is for a lack of clarity into what occurs for an action to be a penalty and what makes it legal. I don't think anyone has a clear idea. Major problem.

Well, I think we've finally agreed on something!